• Position 4

16 21.05%
  • Position 5 (dull options, I know...)

7 9.21%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 66 of 66

User Info Menu

My 2016 175 does not have a heel cap. Design or factory forgetfulness?
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-2f06748f-3022-4e67-850f-7b326fe965d4-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gibson ES-175 guitars did not have heel caps.

User Info Menu

After posting earlier, I have to add that my Sadowsky has it from the factory at #3 (on the rim), and it's always been comfortable.
    -- Isn't it crazy that "archtop" and "luthier" are spelling errors on this forum?

User Info Menu

No strap and no strap button.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I've posted pictures in another thread, but I guess another won't hurt. It's pretty much identical to Stoneground's.
    Attachment 51681
    How well does this minimize headstock tilt? I just moved my Godin from position 3 to position 5 because I find it does the most to keep the guitar in its natural playing position, but this looks intriguing.
    Redeemed, Husband, Father, Veteran. Thankful for all four!

I play a customized Godin 5th Avenue, Córdoba GK Studio, and a Hamer Korina. I also play a Kala uBass on occasion

User Info Menu

I don't know. I still don't have a strap button on that guitar, so I have nothing to compare it to. But the strap pull is at, or at least very close to, where it would be with a strap pin. I don't think there is any real difference, and the guitar balances well.

User Info Menu

Position 5 on mine. My 175 came without one stock, and several years went by, so when I felt the urge to put a strap button, I asked my luthier, and his advice was position 5, with both tonal and mechanical advantages -so he said.
    Gibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-img_9917-jpgGibson ES-175 - Strap Button Poll-img_9918-jpg

User Info Menu

Just picked up an (almost) mint condition 1977, es-175 natural. Got it under market value. Plays like butter sounds like a dream and the strap button is in position #4. Seems like it was just sitting in someone's collection for forty years. Quick question:

Can anyone recommend some larger/safer strap buttons? These are so small that my strap keeps slipping off. I definitely do not want to drop this beauty - she's my new number one!

Thanks

Rhizomeman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhizomeman View Post
    Quick question:

Can anyone recommend some larger/safer strap buttons? These are so small that my strap keeps slipping off. I definitely do not want to drop this beauty - she's my new number one!

Thanks

Rhizomeman
    No need to change the button, just use a cheap and easy trick to secure the strap in place:

...every note has an origin and a destination...
    - Tal Farlow

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pacordes View Post
    Position 5 on mine. My 175 came without one stock, and several years went by, so when I felt the urge to put a strap button, I asked my luthier, and his advice was position 5, with both tonal and mechanical advantages -so he said.
    I'm most curios what the tonal and mechanical advantages would be ..... any idea? Tonal i don't know, but the location would be a disadvantage to me, hindering the left hand/arm to move freely in some extreme playing situations. Also it's exactly in the place where i would grab the guitar when taking it from the stand to strap it on.
    _________
    JazzNote

User Info Menu

I don't know about "most common", but position 4 is my preferred position even though it can make upper fret access a bit cumbersome for certain grips. I find the overall security and guitar position of that position make up for it though. I happened onto this finding by accident when my Hopkins Contessa (now sold) came to me that way when I bought it used; I subsequently had my strap moved there on my main laminate jazzbox.

User Info Menu

Surely 3 must be best ?

out of the way of your hand
    guitar hangs neutrally

whats not to like ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Surely 3 must be best ?

out of the way of your hand
    guitar hangs neutrally

whats not to like ?
    Screwing into a very thin piece of wood.

User Info Menu

Use a felt washer.
    kawa

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke View Post
    Screwing into a very thin piece of wood.
    True ....
    (I) just put a small block of wood behind there ....

User Info Menu

True. A small block holds the screw in place, and spreads the force to a larger area. Easily done with some monofilament line, through the rim, up through an f hole, and through the block, then pulled into place with a little glue on the block, and then screwed securely. I like something like 6 pound test, because it's thin and the screw threads usually cut it in the hole. If not it's easily snipped.