Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 236

User Info Menu

This was Patrick's L5 Wes. I owned it for a short time. I sold it to the gentleman in the video, Doug Martin.
    Doug is an incredible Guitarist.
    Listen to the sound. Watch the effortless playability. The pure 100% tone of this guitar cuts through the mix. It sounds like Doug is playing "solo" even though his band is right there with him.

Incredible Guitar.
    Incredible Player.

Doug you are the best man. And Stringswinger, thanks for introducing him to me.

You both give me something to shoot for.

Joe DeNisco

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Doug can play and the L5 Wes sounds great.

User Info Menu

That guitar is certainly ear and eye candy! I would also say that it has always been meticulously cared for and well played by its fortunate custodians. Making music! That's what its all about.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Great playing.

The creamy, rich sound of an L5 seems to lend itself to playing long lines well...the sounds just blend in together, without the plink-plink sound of notes being picked.

For better or worse, I've always liked the sound of long flowing lines, whether played on a clarinet, sax, trumpet, vibes or piano, and the guitarists I like most seem to be able to do this as well.

User Info Menu

Agreed, the L-5 is special. Magical even. Makes a good player sound better and inspires all players to greater heights. Lots of nice guitars out there, but the L-5 (this WesMo in particular) is just incredible.

Roli

User Info Menu

Nice to see Patrick’s guitar out and about. It’s a sound that is hard to duplicate (except for another L5), hard to beat and is definitely one of the best jazz guitars out there. For me and what I want coming out of my amp it is the best. It is also cool to have a legacy with one guitar that he can trace back to the original owner. Buying a new guitar is cool too but I really like, particularly with nice guitars, to have some history behind it. I wish I knew who the original owner was of my L5 - he was a player and was in his 80’s when he sold it to the store I bought it from. He definitely played it a lot and I really like having a guitar that I can continue to put music through until I am gone and then pass it on to another player to keep doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Wow thank you for the kind words Joe! Glad you like the video. Well you can see and hear that the guitar I'm playing certainly shines! It's a pleasure and a privilege to own and play a guitar like that every day for people. These guitars were built to be played!
    Doug Martin
    www.dougmartinguitar.com

"Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right" - Russel Malone

User Info Menu

Who says the newer made L5’s don’t sound great. If that isn’t great tone I don’t know what is. I will stack any of my Culberson made L5’s against any Hutch made one. He is every bit as good as Hutch was IMO. Of course now he is in the unemployment line.

User Info Menu

When Doug told me that he was looking for another L-5 (he told me that he regretted selling his first L-5) and JD told me that he wanted to sell Patrick2's old L-5, I hooked those guys up. As all can see, that guitar is in the right hands doing what it was made to do.

Now that JD has told me that he regrets selling his L-5's (he has owned two of them) and when he has the money will buy another one, I eagerly await the day when I can hook him up as well.

I am also thinking of adding a second L-5 to my guitar collection. L-5's rule, if you have any doubts, just listen to Wes. Or Doug. And if that doesn't convince you, go get your ears checked.

User Info Menu

that great gretsch sound!

...i was looking that the drum set

not sure if i should feel envious or bad for the guy in the front getting his face melted off by all that tone and volume. its like when the nazis opened up the ark.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker View Post
    Wow thank you for the kind words Joe! Glad you like the video. Well you can see and hear that the guitar I'm playing certainly shines! It's a pleasure and a privilege to own and play a guitar like that every day for people. These guitars were built to be played!
    Dougie,
    Only 9 posts? Come on bro you cant be that busy being a professional Jazz musician.. You need to contribute more. We need you here. Show the rest of the world what a great dude you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    When Doug told me that he was looking for another L-5 (he told me that he regretted selling his first L-5) and JD told me that he wanted to sell Patrick2's old L-5, I hooked those guys up. As all can see, that guitar is in the right hands doing what it was made to do.

Now that JD has told me that he regrets selling his L-5's (he has owned two of them) and when he has the money will buy another one, I eagerly await the day when I can hook him up as well.

I am also thinking of adding a second L-5 to my guitar collection. L-5's rule, if you have any doubts, just listen to Wes. Or Doug. And if that doesn't convince you, go get your ears checked.
    SS, See what L5's do to people?
    They make us spin around in circles. When I heard this video this morning, I looked down at my body and tried figure out which parts I can sell. I thought "all of them" but then how do come up the rest of the $5500 i'll need for a good L5Wes..

Joe D

User Info Menu

Bro....I keep telling you that you only need one kidney.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Bro....I keep telling you that you only need one kidney.
    Yeah I know, that's were I got $350 from. The other $50 was the rest of my body..
    L,J

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Yeah I know, that's were I got $350 from. The other $50 was the rest of my body..
    L,J
    No no no no no.... you need to think about selling someone ELSE's kidney... geeze, that's dark...
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    No no no no no.... you need to think about selling someone ELSE's kidney... geeze, that's dark...
    Funny, all in jest . . . right????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC View Post
    Funny, all in jest . . . right????
    Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Best ever?

I dunno...I feel like all my guitars are the beat ever when I play them. Including my Ibanez shredder!

User Info Menu

In my view there are more than one "best ever" jazz guitars out there. It's hard to make a firm decision on one. But the L-5 is the poster child, for sure.
    MG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarbean25 View Post
    Best ever?

I dunno...I feel like all my guitars are the beat ever when I play them. Including my Ibanez shredder!
    That’s a good way to put it. Still makes the L5 the best to me since it is the guitar I want to play the most. But when I have to bring my PM100 out due to the bandleader’s request, am doing a 7 string gig on the AF207, chose the 175 for some reason or the Tele or the artist 2360 etc. they are all my favorite while playing them. Except for harsh weather outdoor gigs I could certainly live with just the L5 and would instantly choose that if I had to choose 1, which would make it the best.

That said, I do like how many different guitars there are out there today. It is nice to hear guys like Gilad Hekselman, Julian Lage, Jonathan Kreisberg, Russel Malone all get different sounds due to the guitars they choose (just the first ones that come to mind with different guitars from one another) and if everyone played an L5 it would probably get boring as much as I like the sound. Also that way when I do hear an L5 it is more special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

When you have to decide which guitar you are going to play today you are already blessed no matter what you own.

User Info Menu

If someone says an L-5 is the best jazz guitar, who am I to disagree?

If someone says a Super 400 is the best jazz guitar, who am I to disagree?

If someone says a 175 is the best jazz guitar, who am I to disagree?

If someone says any other guitar is the best jazz guitar, IMO that is just an opinion.

User Info Menu

I have to say that the 2 ES175s I've acquired recently, and the 1990's ES165, are right up there with my L5ces. They are different, but they inspire me just as much, play just as easily, and produce their own beautiful tone that I like just as much as I like the L5. And they all play luxuriously, look beautiful, though my L5ces has color bleed or some staining in the binding, which I knew when I bought it. Still, that just helps make it fair, I suppose! But I look at this rack of guitars and feel like the luckiest guitarist in the world, and realize I'm not musically worthy of any of them.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

L5, as close to guitar perfection as I've experienced.

"You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post

You are going to need to wipe my drool off that guitar. I traveled all the way over the internet and dripped on it. Wow.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

How the super-rich get super-rich.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Absolutely awesome guitars... but, they don't fit me.
    I stand 5'5", if I stretch!
    I love the sound of a laminate.
    I have some physical issues that make a more rotund neck too painful to play.
    I'm a lefty.
    I'm one of those that lives paycheck to paycheck.
    Tried a few Gibson models, including "Custom Shop". Not much choice for a lefty.

Had a couple of bucks to spare a year or so ago, so I looked for a lower priced custom build.
    Talked to the builder for a few months.
    Designed a guitar that would give me the sound, comfort, and playabilty I needed.

The result... The sound is there... after I installed the Burstbucker 1 that Jack Zucker recommended!
    The comfort was there from day one!
    The playability is 99.999% there... mostly a nut issue. Easy fix, this week.
    So close!

The point of this post?
    The "best Jazz guitar ever made", is the one that works for me!

YMMV
    IMHO
    ITOTGFBT (I'm tired of the gibson fan boy threads) and the accompanying condescension.
    I'm thrilled that you can afford to buy multiples of these,.
    I just want a guitar that makes me sound the way I hear, in my head.

TPIWI

Cheers,
    Ron

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Max405;855874]Dougie,
    Only 9 posts? Come on bro you cant be that busy being a professional Jazz musician.. You need to contribute more. We need you here. Show the rest of the world what a great dude you are.

Hi Joe! Ya I don't get on the forum so much. I will have to get on more often. Man you're too kind! Actually I really enjoy getting on here and seeing this great community and your own solo videos are just fantastic!

Ya you can put that guitar in the hands of ten different players and it will sound different with every person because SO MUCH of our sound is in the hands of the player, BUT at the same time it will always sound like an L5. Gotta love that!
    Doug Martin
    www.dougmartinguitar.com

"Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right" - Russel Malone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    When you have to decide which guitar you are going to play today you are already blessed no matter what you own.
    Amen, brother!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    the "best jazz guitar ever made", is the one that works for me!
    lol!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    lol!
    I'd love to hear why you think this is funny.
    Maybe you didn't understand my meaning?
    Or, maybe you did...
    Cheers,
    Ron
    Last edited by RonD; 03-15-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Dutchbopper Guest
    I take it one can still state an opinion here that is different? Or is that not possible anymore? The clique-ishness here I begin to find worrying. It's soooooo easy to see who's in it and who's not.

Anyway, I listened to the clip and was kind of surprised I did not like the sound much. Too muffled. The sound knob was probably rolled off and I do not understand it when you try to make your L5 sound like a darker guitar.

I do not think the L5 is the best jazz guitar either. Not even close. This is my opinion and nothing to worry about. It should not piss you off. I just think laminates fit me better.

Here's an L5 sound that I do like by the way:

Remember, this is NOT an attack. Just an opinion, like the OPs.

DB

I actually think this gibson 175 tone is the best jazz guitar tone ever. (ignore the cover photo, he's using a 175 on the recording)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post

I’m not going to disagree, but I’m going with a different era.

User Info Menu

An L5 is a popular guitar but, to my view, it is not the best jazz guitar ever made. Sure Wes played an L5 but he played different models before he made it to the top of the hill and sounded like Wes all the way.

Django played a Selmer, Charlie Christian, played a Gibson ES150, Johnny Smith played an Epiphone/D'Angelico, Benson played a Ibanez, Hall played a D'Aquisto, John Gray played Albanus/Barker so what. In many instances guitars are not played because they are favoured some are played because that is what is available, some are played because the guitar player is under contract to be seen with them and so on.....it's a complicated story out there in guitar land.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    I actually think this gibson 175 tone is the best jazz guitar tone ever. (ignore the cover photo, he's using a 175 on the recording)

Yeah, that I agree with. But you have known this for years.

DB

User Info Menu

you need to think about selling someone ELSE's kidney
    Reverend... you've being a naughty boy here... anyway, may I suggest some unwilling donors, if the need should arise...?
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    https://soundcloud.com/theodore-koja...hy-bro-project
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

User Info Menu

No discredit to the player(and I'm sure none was intended) but I agree with this. L-5 is a fine guitar but this is not the best example in terms of sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper View Post
    I take it one can still state an opinion here that is different? Or is that not possible anymore? The clique-ishness here I begin to find worrying. It's soooooo easy to see who's in it and who's not.

Anyway, I listened to the clip and was kind of surprised I did not like the sound much. Too muffled. The sound knob was probably rolled off and I do not understand it when you try to make your L5 sound like a darker guitar.

Here's an L5 sound that I do like by the way:

Remember, this is NOT an attack. Just an opinion, like the OPs.

DB

User Info Menu

the Gibson L5 - the best Jazz guitar ever made.

Well, being one of the most iconic instruments for Jazz, yeah, no doubt about it.

Being "The Best" is in the eyes and hands of the beholder.

I've always felt the 175 gave the L-5 a fair round for its money and then some, tone-wise. However, in my case, I have never felt at home with either of them. I found'em too big, so my playing position suffered; I could never feel comfortable enough to have that unexplicable sensation of liberation of having given the possibility for doing your best, so to speak. Heck, not even the 335 form factor did it 100% for me, comfort-factor-wise. Sue me! Well, TBH, I feel very comfortable with my ES-339, so that's that.

OTOH, the Sadowsky SS and other brands with the same shape and size inpiration, (the D'Angelico Excel SS comes to mind) or even the Ibanez GB and AF series are the ones that check most my boxes. The one I felt most comfortable with was my GB-10. I didn't like the p'ups, so after five years or so I sold it. I wasn't playing any Jazz at the time, so I never really felt seller's remorse.

The Gibson Johnny A. is another one I like a lot. Well, maybe the fact that Johnny A. himself gave me permission to play his backup guitar at a clinic I attended in 2011 might've sealed the deal, I won't lie about it. Hey, I'm not immune to be starstrucked!
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    https://soundcloud.com/theodore-koja...hy-bro-project
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

User Info Menu

The 175 DOES give carved archtops a run for their money. The ES-350 (full-scale, full depth model) even more so. Those two models, and--of course--the ES-150 from the 30s, are outrageously great laminated archtops. Never turn up your nose at them.

User Info Menu

The Gibson L5 - one of the best jazz guitars ever made

Is everyone happy now? Hopefully there are no objections to that statement? Sigh.
    Permanent favorites: 2016 Gibson L-5 WesMo, 1999 Gibson L-5CESN, 1928 Gibson L-5
    Play more, buy less

User Info Menu

I am a much bigger fan of Wes's playing than I am of his tone, there I said it.

To me the L-5 is a piece of art, I could set it on a stand and admire it for hours. Playing it, not so much.

User Info Menu

I'll blaspheme further...I don't like 'em all that much.

They're beautiful, iconic. I find them big and heavy, and bright. (I'm talking L5 CES here...)

My Gibson holy grail would be an all-acoustic Super 400 with a floating pickup added, like a DeArmond.

I know a cat with a guitar like that, plays old time country...I don't think he's ever played that beauty above the third fret. Drives me crazy

As far as the "best," how do you judge that? I would say though that it seems the guitar on a great majority of my favorite jazz guitar records is a 175.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    The 175 DOES give carved archtops a run for their money. The ES-350 (full-scale, full depth model) even more so. Those two models, and--of course--the ES-150 from the 30s, are outrageously great laminated archtops. Never turn up your nose at them.
    agreed GT, but the 150CC was a carved top.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post

While I love the L-5, the 175 is my favorite as well. On the cover of my favorite Wes album, Wes is playing a 175. For tone and feel, the 175 wins. For looks, the L-5 comes out ahead. When it comes to getting the job done on the gig, I mostly choose tone and feel. But variety is indeed the spice of life.....

User Info Menu

I own an ancient L5. She was created in 1939. A pre-war Gibson. I think Gibson postponed a lot of manufacturing in order to contribute to the war effort. I play this guitar in a swing band in a Freddie Green style. A couple of years ago I purchased the biography of Freddis Green which was written by his son, a photographer. I own many arch top jazz guitars but the L5 is the true original.

User Info Menu

I have to say that you can really tell the difference between Wes playing a 175 and an L-5.
    I much prefer him on the L-5, way fatter and less harsh sounding to me.
    He's pictured on the cover of The Incredible Jazz Guitar w/a 175, and while it's a superb lp, I like his later recordings from a tone standpoint.
    For example, compare his sound on 'Incredible' to say, 'Bags Meets Wes' and tell me what you think.
    The former has a plinky sound to me, the latter thick and warm, but ymmv

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
    The Gibson L5 - one of the best jazz guitars ever made
    Is everyone happy now? Hopefully there are no objections to that statement? Sigh.
    I prefer "The Gibson L5 - the bestest jazz guitar ever made."
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

Wes Tone... as a teen my folks joined the Columbia Record Club and we got Dave Brubeck's Take Five album - that was jazz to me until January of 1969... I was in the 2nd Armored Division as a computer operator and the entire Army did this mass reorganization of lower rank non-combat soldiers into combat units, 'Nam and Berlin needed more combat units on alert... So all of a sudden I'm in a armored battalion... My new foot locker had some stuff the previous guy had left behind (bound for 'Nam). Among the possessions Wes Montgomery's Tequila on cassette... God Dang boys that music sure changed my life... That to me is Wes Tone... I spent many lonely nights with my little PX special boom box listening to Wes...

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    I prefer "The Gibson L5 - the bestest jazz guitar ever made."
    Since we are all deep in the cork sniffer zone here, blanket statements as "the best jazz guitar ever made" should be avoided because they are too unsensitive for our delicate noses.

"Best" should be replaced by "I like best." Every time you have the urge to say "best" replace it by my proposed alternative.

And away go all troubles.

DB