Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    Whenever I play this guitar, I wonder why I play anything else.
    Boo-Boo can really do it all. When I pick it up, I look down at the neck and immediately think, "Oh yeah, these strings are gonna buzz.." And they never do. Laser straight neck, the lowest action you can imagine. The guitar really does play itself.
    When I play the Tal, It re-emphasizes why someday, I will have another L5 Wes.
    I tried something different. I recorded the Guitar using only my Mixer and my Computer. So the guitar is not amplified, Volume and tone on the guitar are set to 10 and the settings on the Mixer EQ are at 0. So, its pure guitar and nothing but the guitar.
    Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nicely played Joe. Love the low D.

Cheers.
    Archtop YT Channel: www.youtube.com/+FredArchtop

User Info Menu

Sounds great Joe. Like it could mud up, then it does not. Nice stuff.

What strings?

User Info Menu

Very nice, don,t know why but reminds me of Christmas.

User Info Menu

you're right, 1 TF is ENOUGH! you rock JD!
    "You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

Nothing brings on an ear-to-ear grin like a Joe D. video, and this is no exception. Nice playing, Man! That Tal looks good on you, too. What a toneful guitar. As to why you play anything else, I think it's cause you can.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

What K said.

16 inch, 17 inch and 18 inch Archtops all have their own sound. We need different tools for different jobs. And every fine jazz guitarist (like yourself) needs an L-5. you WILL have another L-5. I would bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop View Post
    Nicely played Joe. Love the low D.
    Cheers.
    i remember I was deathly afraid of the drop D. Now something is missing without it.
    Thank you Fred.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptchristopher3 View Post
    Sounds great Joe. Like it could mud up, then it does not. Nice stuff.
    What strings?
    Thank you Chris. The Tal is naturally deep And throaty with only the bridge pickup.
    I am using TI Jazz Swings 12’s. The strings are easily 2 years old. A newer set will be be brighter for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post
    Very nice, don,t know why but reminds me of Christmas.
    Hi Johnny, Christmas is my favorite time. And we still have most of the 22” of snow on the ground that a March storm dumped on us 3 days ago. Maybe that has something to do with it.. Thank you sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    you're right, 1 TF is ENOUGH! you rock JD!
    The dimensions of the Tal Farlow are perfect. It’s such a solid guitar. You feel bullet proof with it on your lap. Thanks 2b.
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Nothing brings on an ear-to-ear grin like a Joe D. video, and this is no exception. Nice playing, Man! That Tal looks good on you, too. What a toneful guitar. As to why you play anything else, I think it's cause you can.
    Thanks C74, the class of the organization. You are right about the reason. It’s so true.
    Ive got some stuff to get out of the way, but I look forward getting acquainted with an L5 Wes some day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    What K said.

16 inch, 17 inch and 18 inch Archtops all have their own sound. We need different tools for different jobs. And every fine jazz guitarist (like yourself) needs an L-5. you WILL have another L-5. I would bet on it.
    Yes one of mine. Anyone that thumbs there nose at a Tal Farlow model is simply because they never owned one. One of the best guitars on the planet period. LOL getting one now though sadly. Nice playing bro.

User Info Menu

Joe. a very nice video, Tenderly sounding particularly good on the TF
    I love the drop D also, The lack of popularity of the TF has
    always puzzled me, it's like a poor relation to the Archtops
    but depending on who is playing it !!...........it can sound like
    an L5, thanks for posting this, such a relaxing tune. As it has
    been said many times. If we could have only one guitar the TF
    is a leading contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    What K said.
    Thank you Marco. I appreciate all of your encouraging words.
    My next L5 will hopefully be with me permanently!

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Yes one of mine. Anyone that thumbs there nose at a Tal Farlow model is simply because they never owned one. One of the best guitars on the planet period. LOL getting one now though sadly. Nice playing bro.
    Thanks Bro.
    The Tal is a very comfortable guitar to play.
    Just think about it bro... your new Campellone is going to be the best of all the guitars ever made wrapped into one. 17 x 3. Perfect carved, all over. 25” scale and a 1-11/16 nut, perfect amount of bling and the nicest Tailpiece in the business.
    You got me started on the Tal.
    i wish my Tal didn’t have the “Boo-boo”. But it’s still one of the best guitars I’ve ever touched. Thanks bro.

User Info Menu

nice Joe D!! bravo..thought the same thing..that tal looks good on you! hah..and you wear it well..good combination!

sound was a tad dry..& couple of (recording) rough spots...but beautiful nevertheless...very js moonlight in vermont

low d..also the johnny way

good stuff pal

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-11-2018 at 06:48 PM.

User Info Menu

ps- just revisited the old boo boo-renaldo original thread..to bring that guitar back and make it sound so good...that's wonderful!! kudos all around

NGD - Gibson Tal Farlow

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    I suggest that the forthcoming scarcity of Crimson Custom Archtops, including not
    only the TF, but also the Byrdland, S400, L5' s etc., will enhance the desirability
    and asking prices will increase accordingly, I don't buy into the theory that only
    old fogeys have an interest in them. There is no greater challenge in this sphere
    than dearly wanting something that is no longer readily available. Big Mike recently
    opined that players will be searching worldwide for their heart's desire, an
    unavailable Gibson Archtop.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx View Post
    Joe. a very nice video, Tenderly sounding particularly good on the TF. I love the drop D also, The lack of popularity of the TF has always puzzled me, it's like a poor relation to the Archtops but depending on who is playing it !!...........it can sound like an L5, thanks for posting this, such a relaxing tune. As it has been said many times. If we could have only one guitar the TF is a leading contender.
    Thank you Alan, the other class of the organization.
    The only other guitar that felt like my L5’s is this Tal. It makes the playing part of guitar playing a lot easier than the remembering part! What’s New and Tenderly are similar in a lot of ways. Just like Cant Get Started and The Song is You, they seem to commingle onto one song all the time. The challenge to keep them all separate is excercise for the brain.

User Info Menu

I've long said that literally NOTHING sounds worse than a guitar recorded direct with no amplifier.

But wait, this sounds great....what's going on here?!

Nice picking too, Joe.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    nice Joe D!! bravo..thought the same thing..that tal looks good on you! hah..and you wear it well..good combination!
    sound was a tad dry..& couple of rough spots...but beautiful nevertheless...very js moonlight in
    low d..also the johnny way
    good stuff pal

cheers
    Thanks Neatomic. Yeah, sorry about the clipping. This new workflow presents a few challenges. I’ll get em worked out.
    Last edited by Max405; 03-11-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I've long said that literally NOTHING sounds worse than a guitar recorded direct with no amplifier.
    Nice picking too, Joe.
    thanks Mr B.
    My goal with these guitars has always been to record them straight so you can hear what they really sound like.
    I am glad you like the sound buddy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    The Tal is naturally deep And throaty with only the bridge pickup.
    I am using TI Jazz Swings 12’s. The strings are easily 2 years old. A newer set will be be brighter for sure.
    Considering how much people mess with amps and tone controls to try to sound like two year old TI JS112 strings, maybe best to leave them on there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ptchristopher3 View Post
    Considering how much people mess with amps and tone controls to try to sound like two year old TI JS112 strings, maybe best to leave them on there.
    yeah! totally agree

well cared for pure nickel flats mellow very nicely...

keep 'em clean (i like iso swabs) and keep check of your intonation... they will go far...your intonation will let you know when they are done..even when the actual sound/string tone might still be acceptable

cheers

User Info Menu

Joe I didn't know you had a Tal, then I went and looked and watched many of the videos you have made the last couple years with it and was glad I'd spent the time watching them. So fluid my friend... You keep playing Paisan, stay in touch huh...

Big

User Info Menu

Very nice playing an the guitar sounds lovely. The Tal is such a winner and I miss mine even 18 years after selling it - hope to get another some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Joe, you are too modest. I love fine guitars as much as you do though my finances and location in the world rules out buying as many as you have done. However, it seems to me that you have said "this is my best guitar ever" - or something to that effect - about every new guitar you have got. And the playing and the tone sounds great on the clips with all of them. Maybe it's more you than the guitar which makes it sound so good.
    "But if they all play like me, then who am I?" (Lester Young)

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post
    Joe I didn't know you had a Tal, then I went and looked and watched many of the videos you have made the last couple years with it and was glad I'd spent the time watching them. So fluid my friend... You keep playing Paisan, stay in touch huh...
    Big
    Mikey,
    NO, I didn't buy a new guitar. I've had this one for a while.
    I am so fortunate. Every Guitar that I have I consider to be dream guitars.
    Thank you for watching the videos. And thank you for your nice words.
    But most of all, thank you for your friendship.
    I will never lose touch with you.
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Very nice playing an the guitar sounds lovely. The Tal is such a winner and I miss mine even 18 years after selling it - hope to get another some day.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Rio, that was very nice of you to say.
    The Tal shares parts and specifications that are found on many other guitars. But for some reason, All those parts combined into a Tal makes it sound like no other Guitar. I honestly feel that it sounds so mellow and relaxed because that's exactly how you feel when you play it. It is a comfortable guitar. Its specifications are perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by oldane View Post
    Joe, you are too modest. I love fine guitars as much as you do though my finances and location in the world rules out buying as many as you have done. However, it seems to me that you have said "this is my best guitar ever" - or something to that effect - about every new guitar you have got. And the playing and the tone sounds great on the clips with all of them. Maybe it's more you than the guitar which makes it sound so good.
    MrDane,
    Trust me, my finances are a nightmare! If it wasn't for some great people around here, I'd be reviewing the same 3 guitars over and over..
    I have 5 guitars now. And, I really LOVE every one of them. If a sad day comes when I have to sell any of them, I will be devastated.
    Yeah I do say, "this is my best guitar ever" a lot. I probably shouldn't say that too much because my credibility goes right down the toilet right after that! But with me, its exactly how I feel at that moment. I promise, there is no bad motive behind it. I just love all my guitars. I really do.
    And I really love playing them and making videos. I will post videos until I sense a drop off in interest. I'm hoping that never happens, so I have to get better and stay SHARP! Thank you for your nice words.

Thanks everyone.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Hey Joe,

You always sound great and so does this guitar. But my personal opinion is that I prefer your carved top Johnny Smith guitars (of different makers) for your particular style. The Tal is a very warm and seems less dynamic. I'm sure it plays wonderfully, and that matters to you as a player for sure. But I like the woody and brighter tone of your JS guitars a bit more.

Enjoy them all...
    Permanent favorites: 2016 Gibson L-5 WesMo, 1999 Gibson L-5CESN, 1928 Gibson L-5
    Play more, buy less

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
    Hey Joe,
    You always sound great and so does this guitar. But my personal opinion is that I prefer your carved top Johnny Smith guitars (of different makers) for your particular style. The Tal is a very warm and seems less dynamic. I'm sure it plays wonderfully, and that matters to you as a player for sure. But I like the woody and brighter tone of your JS guitars a bit more.
    Enjoy them all...
    Thank you RP. You know, I cant disagree with you at all.
    I try not to box myself into a particular style of playing, but I cant run away from my preferences. I love Chord Melody guitar and in particular the style of Johnny Smith and Joe Pass. And you are right, the big carved Floater archtops really sound better when I play them as opposed to Guitars like the Tal or even the 175/165. No doubt.
    I tried playing my floater 165 last night through this same workflow. Straight through the mixer changed the sound of 165. It removed some of the brightness from that guitar. That was disappointing to me. Perhaps the Mixer altered the sound of the Tal too.

I want to have one box that;
    I can practice with headphones.
    I can record with (using my Windows 10 SurfacePro3)
    I can have a Auxiliary Jack.

The Mixer does all of this. But it might not transfer sound accurately.

The Zoom G3 does everything but it doesn't have a Aux jack.
    The RP360 does everything but I doesn't work with Windows 10

I am looking at the Boss GT001 and the Zoom G5N which I thing will do the job but I will sell my other pedals 1st. I don't want to be tripping over pedals in my room..

User Info Menu

As always Joe,a great video. You make what ever guitar you play sound great. Goes to show you,it isn't the arrow,it's the indian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post

I used to think that too, but now I record most of my clips with my 175 direct, because it's easier and it just doesn't sound much different from any other method I've tried. Maybe it's only archtop guitars that work a bit better for this.

Anyway I agree that Joe sounds great here!

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
    As always Joe,a great video. You make what ever guitar you play sound great. Goes to show you,it isn't the arrow,it's the indian.
    AG, It means a lot to me that you said that. Thank you buddy.
    Trust me bro, I could make a bad guitar sound even worse. Stringswinger says this all the time. A guitar that you favor will inspire you. And if it doesn't work for you, you cant work with it.. And then I get those days where I am playing like crap - and the poor Citation (if I had one) would end up getting the blame..

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    I used to think that too, but now I record most of my clips with my 175 direct, because it's easier and it just doesn't sound much different from any other method I've tried. Maybe it's only archtop guitars that work a bit better for this.

Anyway I agree that Joe sounds great here!
    Grahambop, Its so funny. I was just over on another sub forum and I was admiring your rendition of the same song! You and your 175 sounds amazing! I mean really sweet.

Do you mind telling me what you are using as a recording device?

Thank you sir.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe I always enjoy your playing, always appreciate your dedication to the great solo guitar performances of Johnny Smith and Joe Pass, and always think a day you post a clip as a "big day" on the forum.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Grahambop, Its so funny. I was just over on another sub forum and I was admiring your rendition of the same song! You and your 175 sounds amazing! I mean really sweet.

Do you mind telling me what you are using as a recording device?

Thank you sir.
    Joe D
    Thanks very much Joe! Yes it's funny how we're all doing Tenderly at the moment! I generally record plugged straight into a small Korg SOS (Sound on Sound) recorder. It can be a bit fiddly to use but I chose it because it allows simple multitracking, i.e. you can overdub a couple of tracks and they record as separate (but synchronized) WAVs. Then I just copy the WAV file or files to my PC and mix/edit them a bit in Audacity, mainly I just add a bit of reverb.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Joe I always enjoy your playing, always appreciate your dedication to the great solo guitar performances of Johnny Smith and Joe Pass, and always think a day you post a clip as a "big day" on the forum.
    Thanks Lawson. I appreciate that a lot.
    Thanks for wording it the way you did. I'd rather do Johnny and Joe stuff than my own. Their stuff is better. Its that simple..
    I wanted to use the RP360 on all my recordings going forward, But Digitech didn't feel obligated to write USB drivers that worked with Windows 10. Its a shame because I really like that little box. I hope to get it to work on my SurfacePro3. I may have to downgrade the operating system on it to Windows 8.1.
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Thanks very much Joe! Yes it's funny how we're all doing Tenderly at the moment! I generally record plugged straight into a small Korg SOS (Sound on Sound) recorder. It can be a bit fiddly to use but I chose it because it allows simple multitracking, i.e. you can overdub a couple of tracks and they record as separate (but synchronized) WAVs. Then I just copy the WAV file or files to my PC and mix/edit them a bit in Audacity, mainly I just add a bit of reverb.
    grahambop,
    Thanks, you have a nice little workflow going there.
    Believe it or not, I didn't intend to do a video on Tenderly. After I learned "What's New" my brain was mixing up parts of both songs. So, I ran through Tenderly a couple of times, along with "Wait Till You See Her". I wanted to see how a recording worked/sounded using my Alesis MultiMix USBfx mixer so I just pressed some keys and played. I thought I would share it with the forum just remind everyone about the forgotten Tal Farlow..
    Thanks buddy!
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe,

Count me in with Lawson. I look forward to each new "New Joe Clip Day." This was a treat to get to hear your Tal Farlow guitar, again. It sounds great and your JS-rendition of "Tenderly" is really soulful. It's a snowy, grey day on my end. This really perked things up, here.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    Joe,

Count me in with Lawson. I look forward to each new "New Joe Clip Day." This was a treat to get to hear your Tal Farlow guitar, again. It sounds great and your JS-rendition of "Tenderly" is really soulful. It's a snowy, grey day on my end. This really perked things up, here.

Ken
    Thank you brother. I always appreciate your input and your support.
    You know, since I don't do this professionally anymore, you guys have no idea how fulfilling each and every one of you make this for me.
    Hang in there GT. Warm temps are right around the corner.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Very nice, Joe. Great playing, as ever. I'm missing some dynamic range here, though. Must be the direct input? Some digital distortion too - too bad. But it's a lovely guitar, and I could listen to you play it all day long.

User Info Menu

so beautiful, inspiring and couldn't agree more - that guitar in your hands is what most can only hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Very nice, Joe. Great playing, as ever. I'm missing some dynamic range here, though. Must be the direct input? Some digital distortion too - too bad. But it's a lovely guitar, and I could listen to you play it all day long.
    Hi Rob,
    Thank you buddy.
    My headphones are the reference type and the video sounded good. But I don't have a very critical ear. So yeah, I think the Alesis Mixer is out from now on.. I was OK with the clipping but later on when I heard my 165 sounding kinda muffled I knew something wasn't quite right.
    I am considering a Boss GT-001. I want to have one small unit that will;
    Record in Windows 10 on my SurfacePro 3,
    Allow for an Auxiliary input and
    provide excellent sound (through headphones and during recording).

The Alesis did the 1st 2, but I think it falls down on sound. My old standby the Zoom G3 doesn't have an Aux Jack.

Back to the drawing board.
    JD

User Info Menu

Sounds beautiful Joe

While the Tal sounds great, the playing is what I'm loving the most!
    I'm amazed at how "Johnny Smith" a 17" laminate can sound.

Quote Originally Posted by entresz View Post
    Sounds beautiful Joe
    While the Tal sounds great, the playing is what I'm loving the most!
    I'm amazed at how "Johnny Smith" a 17" laminate can sound.
    Thank you Entresz. I think it’s those crazy chords he had a knack for dreaming up. That’s what makes the songs such a challenge to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
    so beautiful, inspiring and couldn't agree more - that guitar in your hands is what most can only hope for.
    Thank you very much maplebaby. I appreciate it.

The Tal is an amazingly upscale guitar. I hope we haven’t seen the final one roll out of the Custom Shop.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Max405;855121]Thank you Entresz. I think it’s those crazy chords he had a knack for dreaming up. That’s what makes the songs such a challenge to remember.

Those crazy chords are perfect though - you've absolutely nailed that style and make it look easy!
    I on the other hand....

User Info Menu

I went and watched your video again Joe and it deserves being repeated: DUDE, when you're in love with a guitar you really play the heck out of it. Amazing how it inspires your playing... Kudos

Big

User Info Menu

Gibson archtops sound really good straight into the board. Your Tal sounds great that way.

My '68 ES-175 used to record well and sound great straight into the recording desk. The circuit on the desk provided a bit of compression (it was a tube circuit) and the EQ on flat was perfect.

You can hear the difference between a 17" and a 16" Gibson, though. I like the big guitar.

User Info Menu

Great playing and tone Joe, your Tal is definitely in good hands.

The Tal is an amazingly upscale guitar. I hope we haven’t seen the final one roll out of the Custom Shop.
    Well it seems there will be at least a Vintage Sunburst batch coming next September
    Access Denied
    ...every note has an origin and a destination...
    - Tal Farlow

User Info Menu

Very nice!

I had a new Tal in my hands a couple of years ago and could have taken it home for around $4K ...

wish I could have done that, but I just didn't have the cash handy for another guitar at the time

It was a wonderful guitar ... a Tal is high on my dream list so maybe someday ...

Then again ... I'm not hurting for great guitars ... so I can't complain