The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 182

User Info Menu

Right done all the research I care for.
    It's got a Japanese logo on the headstock with a korean construction.
    The end of the FB is Japanese too.

This means 1 of 3 things (or not).

1) It's an end of the line construction in Japan where they changed the neck.
    2) A Japanese part in a new korean factory.
    3) A Micky mouse.

There are problems with the first 2 assumptions, being that this dates the guitar around 1993 not mid 2000's.

The Epi Broadway post japan has a flat bottom fret board and a different E in the logo. Japan are not known for scarf joints but they could have been doing a run for Epiphone to see how it worked pre Korea? If the guitar is younger than early 90's then its a micky mouse job (most likely) unless the koreans did a run with the older Japanese logo and fingerboard in the 2000's.

You've either got a genuine one off (or two off) or you've got a knock off. Or I've missed the run in korea or china, that had these details. Either way your hunch was right. It's definitely not usual but you already knew that lol

Enjoy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow! Lively debate! Thanks to everyone for taking part so far.
    I am trying to get more into nuts and bolts rather than conjecture. We all see it “looks” like “something” and it has captured our attention, but surely someone has one in their possession and we can get more hands on with the particulars. I can’t make myself believe that there isn’t someone who has one and hasn’t noticed little “tells” that are more definitive.
    I was intending to wait until I got a new set of strings to pull a pickup but the chase is on now. If I can get a little time, I will get some more pictures. There are some pencil markings inside that look like layout reference points. I’ll get back with more....

User Info Menu

Hello there.

I'm new here and looking for more info. Mine looks the same as hot rods.
    How to tell where it was produced? Or when?

User Info Menu

This Epi is made in Korea.It should have a serial number in the headstock that will tell the year/month and also factory it was made.

User Info Menu

So with all your info I think mine is an 85 Korean.
    i might wanna sell. Does anybody know how much these go for?
    Condition is good, hard case included.
    I don't play her. More of a rock guy
    thanks guys

User Info Menu

Epiphone started the production of this guitar in 1993.So there is no way it could be a 1980-1990 model.If you share the serial I can tell you when and where it was made.
    As far as value,there are a lot of people that think MIK models better than MIC.Others think that Epi quality now is at least the same if not better,compared to those MIK guitars.IMO something around 400$ (maybe up to 450$) would be a fair price.

User Info Menu

That is the original Epiphone Joe Pass model. Around 1993, Pass made an instructional video in which he uses that guitar. Same body, same wide spaced knobs, same Gibson truss rod cover.

User Info Menu

According to the guitar dater website my epiphone emperor regent asb serial number 5093433 is made in Korea in '85.
    other info learned me that they have made them even earlier and relocated Japan/Korea in 84/85.

to be clear, mine looks exactly like the one hotpepper published.
    Last edited by Brun05; 01-14-2019 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Add info

User Info Menu

I can't say if yours is made in Japan, but it is a fine looking box. I bought one that was advertised as made in Japan but, like yours, it has several features inconsistent with the other pictures of actual MIJs in this thread.
    The serial number isn't recognized by guitar dating sites. Any insights are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images How's your Epiphone Emperor Regent holding up?-image-jpg How's your Epiphone Emperor Regent holding up?-image-jpg How's your Epiphone Emperor Regent holding up?-image-jpg How's your Epiphone Emperor Regent holding up?-image-jpg How's your Epiphone Emperor Regent holding up?-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

Are you searching the internet because you're thinking of buying this guitar???

Do you like it??? Does it sound and play good to you???

Then buy it, and ignore all the snobs.

Trust yourself and trust your playing.

I've owned and played hand-made this and that guitar with those certain pickups that everyone was talking about that one year... blah blah blah. Had to sell them all for reasons. I now own and solely play a stock (OMG he left in the original pickup and tailpiece!!! [Low-Fi is the new Hi-Fi]) 1997 Epiphone Emperor Regent. I love it! Its a great sounding and playing guitar and its fun to play.

All the noise you read above are just opinions we use to make ourselves feel better about the fact that we've all spent too much money on six pieces of steel and a block of wood.

User Info Menu

Ha! I bet half the people on this old thread don't have an Epi or don't come here anymore, or both. The bashing is kinda funny.

Personally I'm interested in a Regent if I could find a good Korean one for say, $500 bucks. I just tried one at a show that was good, but seller wouldn't come down from $600 and it only had a gig bag.

I have a Broadway from early 2000's I play a lot lately for outdoor big band gigs. I don't have to worry about it! The pickups aren't the best, but better than the JP Emperor I had. I've been through the mod process with Epiphones, even bought a 2nd Joe Pass with work already done on it. Fun project, but not worth it in the end.

Since this thread started, there's a lot more choices out there, with Guild and D'Angelico re-issues.

User Info Menu

Hello Jazz guitar afficionados,

Well, I've pulled the trigger on this modern Epiphone Emperor. After much watching on YouTube, I've decided to try it by myself.

I must say that this is an amazing guitar for the price. The Kent Armstrong floating PU (handwound replacement, not the original JS PU) sounds superb and the guitar shines when it comes to mixing electric and acoustic sounds

Hope you'll enjoy the sound of it.

Best to you.

Fred.
    Last edited by Fred Archtop; 07-25-2019 at 03:23 AM.

User Info Menu

CONGRATULATIONS!

You have very impressive skills and the guitars sounds wonderful.

ENJOY!

Dave

User Info Menu

Wonderful playing, as we have come to expect from you, Fred. Guitar sounds good too. What year was it made?

User Info Menu

Freddy my man!
    That was beautiful. Great classy playing. I had one of those once. AND IT NEVER SOUNDED LIKE THAT!
    I am a firm believer that certain players just sound so right with any instrument. That’s you. You play with respect. You play with grace. Your guitars respond beautifully to your gentle but firm touch. You just sound great on any guitar Freddy.
    And that guitar is a very capable, under appreciated instrument.
    Great video.
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

I have an Emperor of similar provenance (in sunburst) that I have always been very fond of. The neck on it is just so perfect. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Sweet Fred ! I bought one new in the early 2000’s for like $600.00.
    It played perfect right out of the box. I gave it to a friend after a nasty divorce. It is still playing and sounding great.

Fred your tone and playing is divine on anything you play.
    You could make a turd sound good Sir.

User Info Menu

Dear all,

It's great to share a NDG with you. Thank you so much for your enthousiam.

@Joey/Max405: I believe the swapping of the PU for a real handmade Kent Armstrong makes a terrific difference with the fully original guitar. You should try!
    @Greentone: The scarf was a mandatory accessory over the lest few years due to a terrible cervical pain. I'm doing a lot better now and sarf has turn back to be a fashion accessory…
    @Vinny: thanks man! You know well that good guitars help a lot playing in the right mood.

Just to carry on my honeymoon with the Epiphone, I've committed a new video. Still exploiting a mix of amplified and acoustic tone.

Best to you and take care.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your new guitar!

Also, you sound great.

I resisted buying this model as it hung for several years in a local shop, 'till it "disappeared."
    What was I thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Macwell
    I can't say if yours is made in Japan, but it is a fine looking box. I bought one that was advertised as made in Japan but, like yours, it has several features inconsistent with the other pictures of actual MIJs in this thread.
    The serial number isn't recognized by guitar dating sites. Any insights are appreciated.
    Please someone identify Macwell's guitar.
    I'm looking at a very similar one. Claims made in Japan, but I suspect it's Korean made.

User Info Menu

It is very similar to my 90s Epi Joe Pass, without the pickguard. Selector position and bridge is different though. The trussrod cover was used in the early years of the first Gibson built and owned Chinese factory. On my Epi Dot there is an exact same cover, and I investigated on its history.
    Last edited by Gabor; 09-11-2019 at 08:39 AM.

User Info Menu

What's this mystique about manufacturing location anyway? The specs and QC come from Gibson/EPI. The tonewoods of a laminated Asian guitar can't be that different. That the guitar is in great shape after all these years proves the manufacturing was OK, probably much less automated than today. That Japan had, back then already, a significantly higher wage level, doesn't automatically translate to higher skills, work ethics or QC. If these guitars were U.S. made, there would be no end to cherishing the inlays, multiple bindings, teardrop fretboard ends and other L-5 class attributes. In terms of workmanship and finish, my -99 Emperor Regent is flawless. Of course, with a solid top, nitro varnishing and better hardware, it would be a different instrument altogether - but probably less usable.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 09-12-2019 at 05:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    What's this mystique about manufacturing location anyway? The specs and QC come from Gibson/EPI. The tonewoods of a laminated Asian guitar can't be that different. That the guitar is in great shape after all these years proves the manufacturing was OK, probably much less automated than today. That Japan had, back then already, a significantly higher wage level, doesn't automatically translate to higher skills, work ethics or QC. If these guitars were U.S. made, there would be no end to cherishing the inlays, multiple bindings, teardrop fretboard ends and other L-5 class attributes. In terms of workmanship and finish, my -99 Emperor Regent is flawless. Of course, with a solid top, nitro varnishing and better hardware, it would be a different instrument altogether - but probably less usable.
    The place flags an era. When these guitars were being made in Japan, the very long and distinguished tradition of woodworking in Japan, along with instrument building, turned to focus on guitars. The designs were not original, but derivative of mainly Gibson and Fender. But the workmanship was superior. Economies were found, such as laminated L5ces clones rather than carved. But the laminations were top-notch, beautifully formed, well finished, bindings and appointments treated with care. Solid tops might not be carved, but were solid-formed with great expertise. What could be automated or done on machines without losing vital quality was automated, but a lot of work also got done by hand. The Matsumoku (1970's) and Terada (later) "factories" turned out some amazingly well made instruments that are highly prized today. You won't find a Matsumoku made L5ces copy (Aria, Bradley, Greco, etc) going for very cheap. I have one, and it's a splendid instrument. 45 years old, and out of the case it was wonderful to play and to hear. I also had an Epiphone Elitist Broadway (L5ces copy) made by Terada, and again, I've not ever played a non-L5ces that was so close to the L5ces sound, feel, and "vibe." It's arch and recurve in the top were, to my eye, actually prettier than my L5ces, and that's saying a lot!

So Japanese made guitars a certain periods do have a reputation for bringing the prices down a bit, but producing an incredibly high-quality, faithful "clone" of some of the most iconic designs in guitars. Generally, the move from Japan to Korea was seen as a cost-cutting measure using more automation and cheaper, less skilled labor. But over the years, Korean guitar makers have developed a reputation for improved quality. The same is happening now in China.

But historically, a Japanese made moderate to high-end guitar will be a splendid piece of workmanship and a very fine instrument, a cut above most anything else out there except for the originals.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Lawson. Interestingly, in the current thread about Japanese D'Angelicos there are critical voices, playing down these instruments as mere copies, and somehow illegitimate at that. I owned a Terada-built NYL-2 for a few years. Built in 2005 or 2006 (can't remember anymore), it was a looker for sure; great but not outright spectacular as an instrument. Mending a heel crack revealed it was varnished with something synthetic, not cellulose dope. The mini-humbucker left a mediocre impression.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Thanks, Lawson. Interestingly, in the current thread about Japanese D'Angelicos there are critical voices, playing down these instruments as mere copies, and somehow illegitimate at that. I owned a Terada-built NYL-2 for a few years. Built in 2005 or 2006 (can't remember anymore), it was a looker for sure; great but not outright spectacular as an instrument. Mending a heel crack revealed it was varnished with something synthetic, not cellulose dope. The mini-humbucker left a mediocre impression.
    It certainly isn't merely about place. And of course any tradition of instrument building can have good and bad moments. A lot of folks do like the "Vestax" era D'Angelico's but I've never played one. I think it's a case where a couple of conspicuous examples--Matsumoku in the 70's, Terada at later times-- sets a kind of bias or expectation. The Japanese copies of Gibsons in the 70s (as you know I'm quite sure) triggers the "lawsuit" crisis when Ibanez got served. Those "lawsuit" era guitars contributed to the "MiJ=Great" idea, I think. The Matsumoku L5ces copies (Aria Pro II PE180) also are dynamite, and those sold in Japan continued to have the Gibson style headstock shape.

Anyhow, you're certainly right that mere geography is no predictor of quality.