The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 182

User Info Menu

I like the looks of the Epiphone Emperor Regent.

If you have one, how long have you owned it?
    Do you like it?

How's your Epiphone Emperor Regent holding up?-epiphone-emperor-sunburst-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I still defend the Regent. for 500$ used it smokes the competition. Godin Kingpin is a great guitar for the money but you are comparing apples and elephants.

No structural issues at all. Mine is a 99 Peerless model. No fretwork needed. The nut was cut badly but that worked itself out when I switched to 14s. replaced the forks on the tailpiece with .. well.. different homemade forks. no impact on sound/playability but I dont have to worry about D strings fitting properly.

Replaced the bridge with a StewMac ebony. It is worth it.
    Removed the pickguard. This improved the acoustic sound (to me anyway).

These are NOT great guitars unplugged but you get what you pay for. I am not married to the guitar. I wil sell it to get something better when I have the cash/talent to justify it. Having said that, show me another 17 archtop with a floating pickup and a cutaway that goes for 500$ on ebay?

Aside from Aria's I cant think of any (and I didnt see any of them on ebay in the months I was shopping).

How's your Epiphone Emperor Regent holding up?-epiphone-emperor-regent-jpg

User Info Menu

DH, you and I are fairly committed to our beliefs and obviously willing to defend them. From one aspect, that's a good thing, one SHOULD be prepared to defend something that is important.

On the other hand, we're arguing from a statistically meaningless sample of one. And we're coming from viewpoints that are years apart (referring to difference in age).

And the topic may not really be worth arguing about, so let's call it a debate. Sorry for introducing the word "argument" into this topic, definitely my bad.

Anyway, if you don't object, I'll debate some of the points that you made, OK?

I still defend the Regent. for 500$ used it smokes the competition

At this price range, there isn't much, in the way of quality, to compete with - it's ALL Chinese, probably all made in the same chain of factories (I won't get into the factory worker thing). Your statement doesn't really mean that much until you qualify it with standards of measurement, quality, performance, reliability, factory support, and so forth. Others may choose to apply different standards than you use.

No structural issues at all.

Your implication is that there ARE structural issues with other guitars. Perhaps that's applicable to the instruments in the price range that you mentioned but it really shouldn't be. Unless we are applying different definitions to the term, then I have to infer - by your statement - that there ARE problems with the structure of the instrument: design, materials, workmanship, experience.

Mine is a 99 Peerless model. No fretwork needed.

Why would any fretwork be needed ?

The nut was cut badly but that worked itself out when I switched to 14s.

Wouldn't that be a structural (workmanship) issue ?

replaced the forks on the tailpiece with .. well.. different homemade forks. no impact on sound/playability but I dont have to worry about D strings fitting properly.

Got that, your replacement looks good ! I think that you mentioned a week or so back that your tailpiece was better proportioned and I agree. Apparently the factory didn't, though.

Replaced the bridge with a StewMac ebony. It is worth it.

Why is it worth it ? In another post you alluded to Epiphone not "cutting corners" by furnishing the bridge that came with the guitar. I assumed that you meant that the original bridge was acceptable, from a quality/performance standpoint, did I get it wrong ?

Removed the pickguard. This improved the acoustic sound (to me anyway).

Sounds good to me, your playing technique certainly would enhance the utility of the instrument by this modification.

Also, I think that your Epi looks GREAT, you did a fine job of improving what you had to work with. I just wonder why you had to do all of that if the guitar was of reasonable quality to start with ...

Having said that, show me another 17 archtop with a floating pickup and a cutaway that goes for 500$ on ebay?

What is the point ? Definitions, standards need to be applied to a statement like that. Your implication is that "17 (inch) archtop" and "floating pickup" and "cutaway" are important considerations of value (however one defines value) of the instrument.

Perhaps those are important considerations to you but I suggest that they are not to others unless accompanied by other "values" commensurate with the traditional ones that we've learned to respect and love for, oh a hundred years or so. Sound, playability, re-sale value, inspiration (that's a BIGGIE for me), history and <ahem> braggability - sorry, crass, vulgar stuff

No disrespect intended for your opinions, after all we're talking about stuff that isn't easily definable so my opinions have no more intrinsic value than yours. So what's the bottom line ? I think that you put it real well when you said:

These are NOT great guitars unplugged but you get what you pay for. I am not married to the guitar. I wil sell it to get something better when I have the cash/talent to justify it.

to which I would add: they're not so great when they're plugged in, either !

Cheers,
    RandyC

User Info Menu

Mine's a 2007 MIK. Owning the Epiphone Emperor Regent has made me internationally famous - well, as far as 'that other thread' is concerned it has, and there really is plenty of advice in that other thread if you look for it. I more or less agree with dh82c here: if you're after a 17", accoustic sytle guitar, with floater and for around the price range - what is there? Accoustically it's a fuller sound than the Godin, but again they are different beasts. My plugged-in sound significantly improved with even the MIK Kent Armstong, and improved again (but to a lesser extent) when I installed the 57 Classic. I like it, especially for accoustic noodling, and it's here to stay while there's room for it and the rest of the brood. It's nearest competitor, not so easy to find, is the Aria FA71. If you can, look that out too. It has a better accoustic sound, and maybe the manufacture of it is more consistent - it seems to me that the production of Epis travels around more factories than Aria (but I might be wrong about that). The guys have taught me that most of the fiddling I have done with the Emperor has less to do with the Emperor's shortcomings and more to do with my need for a motorcycle substitute. Find one and play one if you can and that will say more than I can about it, but try to find the Aria too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_E
    " I have the jack to stay in the $500-$1500 range for an archtop guitar "

Dave, et al,

Please forgive my repetition (other threads), and yes, obsession with Guilds, or any good value American made guitar (And I write this only since you are posting that your upper price range is in the $1,500 range)

However, I can't help but chime in and suggest that you might want to re-evaluate your purchasing decision. I too, at first, looked at Epiphone or other budget archtop guitars. If I may, I'd like to share my experience with this particular Indonesian made specimen.

I bought the Epiphone ES-175 copy. Although the eye candy looked right from the typical heavy polyurethane overcoat that one sees in this genre of Asian imports, it was in short order that flaws croped up. Initially, it sounded and looked fine, but upon further scrutiny, I wasn't pleased with it's construction. In particular, the laminated (it looked liked luan) sides were extremely thin - so thin, in fact the jack hole developed cracks in the wood from simple tugging of the cord. I installed a jackplate to stabilize that area. I also noticed the top coat cracking on the set of the neck (following the joint) - this alarmed me since this might be unsusual settling of the glue/wood in that joint. In my mind, this shouldn't happen after a month. I ultimately sold this Epiphone.

So, were is this leading up to? After selling the Epi ES-175 I rethought what I was looking for in an archtop guitar. Mind you, I wasn't looking for an acoustic archtop with a floating pickup and if one is compelled to buy an elctric acoustic archtop in the price range our friend had written, then indeed an Asian import may be the only candidate. As I like the amplified sound of an archtop, I felt that the compromise of gaping holes cut out on the soundboard for all that electronic stuff outweighed my need for a purer acoustic sound (look at the Guild solid carved soundboard X-700 model for instance).

I had purchased a couple of Guilds in the late seventies - an acoustic and an electric archtop (F-48 & SF-II). I always remember, with fondness, the great workmanship, sound and value of those Guilds - even for that era. My re-thinking was, in part, motivated by emotional recollections, but in good part to the value of those American crafted instruments.

As many of you have done, researching prices for new archtops that are/were domesticly made was intimidating at best. Gibson has a respected and long standing tradition in developing and continuing the standards for what we expect out of archtops. However, the price for new, or used quickly eroded any hopes for me to purchase one in my budget. My budget was in your upper end of the price range; $1,000 - $2000.

I quickly found that Guilds, even though American made, having an outstanding reputation in quality and respected by professional players, was extremely undervalued! Unfortunately, Guild is no longer producing archtops since being acquired by Fender. They moved the archtop production to Corona, CA and crafted them until 2005. This meant used specimens were only available. However, if you are looking for mint condition guitars, this entirely possible. (Yes, Fender's custom shop in Nashville still make the high end Benedetto archtop models, though the price range is stratospheric!)

I am entirely pleased with all my recent Guild purchases. They don't have the same re-sale value as a Gibson, but they will hold up much better than any Asian import (this is based on my experience with the resale of the Epi ES-175). But most important of all, I'm delighted that these instruments will last throughout my playing years and will still be playable and yes, still have a good resale value in years to come. Did I mention that they sound awesome too?

I thank all of you for reading my personal thoughts and ideas in this subject. I realize that many of your opinions may be shared or differ from mine and welcome your agreements or rebutals.
    Last edited by X-500; 10-11-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Ive own the epiphone regent, and I prefer Ibanez over epiphones myself .

User Info Menu

I have the Epiphone broadway, an emperor with humbuckers.
    Before buying it, I have tried a lot of guitars below 1000 euros. Ibanez, Peerless, Godin, ...
    I like the comfort for a big jazzbox and the sound.
    I don't like the cheap finishing and the pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gary mitchell
    Ive own the epiphone regent, and I prefer Ibanez over epiphones myself .
    I like the more 'Gibson' looks of the Epis, and althought here seems to be a great variety of Ibanez archtops they really only boil down to an L5-like AF or a 175-like AK; there's not, as far as I know, a 17" floater - which is where the Aria comes in as an alternative to the Emperor. The upper end of the Artcore series though are better (more responsive) IMO than the Epis. The 'Joe Pass' and the 'ES175' tend to contain the sound of the strings (for example), whereas the 'PM35' and 'AK100' seem to enhance it. The Epis to me seem to be more equivalent to the '75's and '85's in the Ibanez range; but then the prices reflect this.

AS intersting as all these discussions are in the 'gear' threads you'll have to excuse me, because time I went and actually tried to play one of the damn things.

User Info Menu

I allready own an Eastman AR403, - stringed with flatwounds.
    I am looking for a not too expensive supplement to play 4-to-the-floor swing/chords, - stringed with roundwounds.

I might have an opportunity to buy an Epiphone Emperor VC made in 1996 by Peerless. I know next to nothing about Epiphones except the earlier Peerless-made models are supposed to be quite okay, - well, that´s what I learned from reading this forum
    Does anybody here own one of these and/or have some knowledge about specs, sound, playability and so.

Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Photo added
    Last edited by bluefonia; 07-17-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Picture added

User Info Menu

I've got a Peerless-made Broadway, and it's a player. Previous owner didn't take great care of it, neck was dry, frets were dull, the bridge was leaning, but I've since fixed all that, strung it up with roundwound 12's (didn't like flats at all- too dull), and it's a very nice axe. Especially for the $475 I paid for it

Finish, fit, everything is good. One minor complaint: the Frequensator was put on jus a *TAD* out-of-alignment, so the high E is a bit closer to the edge of the fretboard than the low E is. It bugs me. Going to fix that by pinning the bridge. Which reminds me... I was going to start a thread about that...

User Info Menu

the epiphone emperor regent i owned a few years back had a terrible acoustic tone.

try to hunt down a used Loar if it needs to be cheap.

User Info Menu

I love my emperor but honestly, I do not see that it would be an improvement over the East man

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    I love my emperor but honestly, I do not see that it would be an improvement over the East man
    Maybe not. But the setup will be different. Flatwounds and a lower acton for modern amplified playing. Roundwounds and a higher action for classic 4-to-the-bar strumming. If one wants to play both styles styles without re-stringing and re-setting up, one needs two guitars.

User Info Menu

Yes, the Emperor regent will be fine. It will sound a bit thin with the stock PU, but it will do the job with a little amp EQ.

There are more beloved guitars, and the Emp Reg indeed has a remarkably un-fine acoustic sound - but yes, for very modest money you will have perfectly serviceable 4TTF guitar.

GFS used to have a "Fat Jazz" floater that was magic with the Emp Reg. But they do not have it anymore.

User Info Menu

Godin 5th, Epi Joe Pass (Emp 2), Gretsch G-100, arguably the Epi Broadway, DeArmond X-155, - I'm sure others can chime in with their favorite cheap archtop.

User Info Menu

I like the E just fine. The B has an appearance that does not suggest any sort of acoustic sound, so I suppose it just meets expectations more consistently than the E.

I suggest trying the guitars. I also suggest de-emphasis of web-lore regarding various vintages and makers of Epi MIK (or elsewhere) guitars. (Others may very reasonably disagree in this case.)
    Last edited by PTChristopher; 07-17-2012 at 07:36 PM.

I have the chance to try out a used 2005 Korean made Epiphone Emperor Regent hollowbody guitar this Saturday. It is for sale. The seller is asking $450 but I will offer him $400. The guitar comes with a case as well.

The videos I have seen of this guitar sound outstanding and I have always wanted one but they are very hard to come by used around here.

User Info Menu

Looks like a lot of guitar for $400 bones! Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Looks like a lot of guitar for $400 bones! Congrats.
    Thanks! The one in the pic is not the actual guitar I will be checking out but the same model.

I am pretty stoked since I have wanted one of these since forever and they are somewhat hard to come by new or used for that matter. I believe they originally sold new for about $600 so I figure $400 is a fair deal for a 10 year old guitar. This will be my first hollow body jazz archtop so I am pretty excited. I really like the sound that I have heard in some YouTube videos of the guitar being played both unplugged & plugged in. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow night and cannot meet with the seller until Saturday morning. This is going to be my belated Christmas present to me!

Here's a video.

Last edited by OldGuitarPlayer; 01-16-2015 at 01:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Looks nice, OGP. The bars in the Frequensator tailpiece can be switched around. So, the long ones could be on the bass side and short ones on the treble side. They are supposed to adjust the compliance or feel of the strings but it is debatable if they make a difference.

There is at least one guy who routed the top to set in a humbucker. Not suggesting you do that but be aware it's an option .

Post a photo or two. Playing video optional...

User Info Menu

Great wood grain on spruce top ! Is it solid top ?

Quote Originally Posted by husk
    Great wood grain on spruce top ! Is it solid top ?
    I believe it is a laminate spruce top with laminate maple back & sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Looks nice, OGP. The bars in the Frequensator tailpiece can be switched around. So, the long ones could be on the bass side and short ones on the treble side. They are supposed to adjust the compliance or feel of the strings but it is debatable if they make a difference.

There is at least one guy who routed the top to set in a humbucker. Not suggesting you do that but be aware it's an option .

Post a photo or two. Playing video optional...
    Hahaha! No I won't routing the top to install a humbucker. One of the reasons I want this guitar is because of the floating neck pickup. I also like how the volume and tone controls are mounted on the pickguard.

I can't wait!

P.S. If I get a chance I'll post some pictures Sunday after I have had it for a day.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Though I just sold mine, I was really torn. Emperor Regents are outstanding and yours is priced in the fantastic range.

User Info Menu

Yep.. mine is a peerless (96 or 99.. I forget..)

Love it.. and I think I paid 750 with a TKL case for it. if you get it for 400 RUN

If you get it for 450.. RUN!

Enjoy.