Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 251 to 290 of 290
    Attachment 54308

Frets leveled and polished.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 07-09-2018 at 06:54 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Being built with care and precision. You are going to love this guitar.

Attachment 54455

Getting close.

User Info Menu

Vinny,

The reason I dropped my plan to acquire another L-5 is I realized that I prefer a short scale (25 inches or less). 9 of my 14 guitars are short scale and the other 5 are long scale. I find that I mostly play the short scale guitars. I suspect that once you have this hand carved 17 inch short scale guitar in your hands, the long scale Gibsons will spend more and more time in their cases. That is until you sell them to commission more guitars from Mark

Marco he also offers a 24.6 scale length version. This one will be 25 inch. I agree bro.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 07-12-2018 at 11:17 PM.

User Info Menu

This is not going to be a popular sentiment. Sorry, up front. As a pianist, I prefer the sound of pianos with longer scales...to a point. (I wouldn't want a 12 foot grand.) Spinet pianos sound stubby, to me.

Similarly, guitars with 25-1/2" scales sound richer to me. Now, I love the ES175, but prefer the ES350.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    This is not going to be a popular sentiment. Sorry, up front. As a pianist, I prefer the sound of pianos with longer scales...to a point. (I wouldn't want a 12 foot grand.) Spinet pianos sound stubby, to me.

Similarly, guitars with 25-1/2" scales sound richer to me. Now, I love the ES175, but prefer the ES350.
    It is all a matter of taste. The Gypsy jazz guys like a 26.3 scale. To them 25.5 is short.

Attachment 54631Attachment 54630

Completed. 4 months start to finish.

User Info Menu

A work of art.

User Info Menu

That finish is amazing, Vinny. Perfect coloring. And that back and neck are on fire! Wow!

Roli

User Info Menu

Looks great

User Info Menu

Doggone Vinny, you must be so excited to take possession of her... I don't like bursts but WOW that is ON FIRE !!!!

Big

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Attachment 54631Attachment 54630

Completed. 4 months start to finish.
    Vinny,
    I just love bursts - and that one is exquisite. Mark completed that guitar in the promised timeline - which speaks volumes for his work ethic and commitment to his builds.

Can’t wait for your feedback

User Info Menu

What a gorgeous guitar! really looking forward to your in-hand thoughts!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Absolutely gorgeous guitar! Congrats and enjoy.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on a beautiful instrument! That Cameo on the rack behind it is awesome too!

Joe D really tried to talk me into the Cameo. I call him my Italian Bling boy buddy. Those Cameo’s are spectacular indeed. They kick sand in a Citation’s face IMO.

The Cameo is on par with a Unity IMO. I bet in 50 years a Campy is going to be worth some serious scratch like a D’A or a D’AQ is now.

User Info Menu

Well, that's just LOVELY.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Well, that's just LOVELY.
    Vinny: since I am also interested in ordering one whenever you have a chance to play it please tell us the difference in the amplified sound between Marks guitar and L-5s.
    Thanks so much... And congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz View Post
    Vinny: since I am also interested in ordering one whenever you have a chance to play it please tell us the difference in the amplified sound between Marks guitar and L-5s.
    Will do.

User Info Menu

I'd think it would be challenging to compare a brand new guitar against any other much less an L5. But what do I know, I'm just a piano player!
    "You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    I'd think it would be challenging to compare a brand new guitar against any other much less an L5. But what do I know, I'm just a piano player!
    Considering the fact that Vinny has 3 L-5 WESMO's in mint condition, I think Vinny's comparison between his Gibsons and the Campy he will soon take possession of, will be about as spot on a comparison as will be possible. A follow up in six months after the Campy has been played some will complete the study.

We will all be fortunate to get the results of Vinny's comparison. Make no mistake about it, keyboard tickler.

User Info Menu

You are going to have to play it with your teeth so the audience would get a good look at that bubblicious back !
    -----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    You are going to have to play it with your teeth so the audience would get a good look at that bubblicious back !
    It would be totally worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

That is a nice Cameo, I got my share of wildly over the top guitars (4 Unity's, 1 Citation, 1 The Standard, 1 American Eagle) and I'm trying to fill in Holy Grail gaps, Bucket List guitars like buying the Ibanez GBY2K...

It is sweet...

Big

User Info Menu

I may be in the minority here, but I like the cosmetics of Vinny's new Campy better than the Cameo.

Not that I would use the Cameo for firewood mind you...

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Stringswinger;885698]I may be in the minority here, but I like the cosmetics of Vinny's new Campy better than the Cameo.

i don’t think you are in the minority, Vinny’s taste in appointments coincides with most
    I would suggest. I have sought his opinion on more than one occasion on guitar related
    matters and have been happy with the results.
    Although we might regard the L5 (or D’A D’AQ)
    as the benchmark by which we judge others
    it seems independent luthiers like M.C. or
    Daniel Slaman in Europe are the builders who
    can satisfy that comparison

I could have had it on Friday but I won’t be around. I told Mark to ship it on Monday so I will have it next Wednesday.
    He ships without strings or bridge installed so a day to string up and intonate and adjust trussrod then a full report.
    RI to CA coast to coast ship. Fingers crossed. Mark has a lot of shipping bad luck also.

User Info Menu

We'll put that shipping on the ole prayer list

right after world peace and a cure for cancer

Good Luck!

Looking forward to a successful shipment and your tone reports

User Info Menu

While we wait for the next exciting installment of Vinnyv1k - Shiny Guitar Champeen, here's a gorgeous 16" Campellone from 2001, that just popped up for sale:
    Campellone 16" Thinline Custom 2001 Cherry sunburst | eBay
    Not mine. I'd buy it, but I already have one and am very happy with it.
    Unfortunately, the seller got some colossally bad advice from Joe Vinikow on value, so the price required some...negotiation.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-04-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

User Info Menu

Me and Joe got some shipping to talk about - stay tuned later tonight when Joe gets home...

Big

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz View Post
    I can share some personal observations about Campellones vs. L5’s. I currently have a Campellone Special with a floating pickup and a 1963 L5C with a Johnny Smith pickup. My Campellone is the shorter “Johnny Smith” sized body with a 25” scale, so it is not exactly the same as an L5. I did, however, own a Campellone Deluxe before this one, which was exactly the same size and scale of an L5. My experience has been that my Campellones sound a little different than my L5C (and other L5 acoustics that I have played). My L5 is brighter, while my Campellones have both been a little warmer and more “modern” sounding, if you know what I mean. My previous L5 sized Campellone was louder acoustically than my current one and probably a little louder than the L5C. I have had lots of high end guitars, including a vintage D’Angelico, and I think the Campellone Deluxe that I regrettably sold, was probably the best sounding guitar I have ever owned. If I ordered another one, I would probably go back to the L5 body and scale, in hopes of recapturing the sound of the one I used to have. I have the highest regard for Mark’s guitars and also for Mark personally. I highly recommend him.
    Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 03-30-2019 at 03:27 PM.

My Campellone Special has a built in KA pu 17x3 25 inch scale. It is a acoustic cannon. Amplified it has a very warm clear tone slightly more acoustic than a L5 but not overly bright. It has a real nice clarity that my L5’s do not. It is kind of like comparing 2 L5’s. One with brand new strings and the other with very old strings. Basically L5 tone with more definition. To me it is like a L5 and a Golden Eagle mated and gave birth and the baby was this Campellone. The Campellone I have is simply outstanding in all departments. Really happy with it. Flawless build too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    My Campellone Special has a built in KA pu 17x3 25 inch scale. It is a acoustic cannon. Amplified it has a very warm clear tone slightly more acoustic than a L5 but not overly bright. It has a real nice clarity that my L5’s do not. It is kind of like comparing 2 L5’s. One with brand new strings and the other with very old strings. Basically L5 tone with more definition. To me it is like a L5 and a Golden Eagle mated and gave birth and the baby was this Campellone. The Campellone I have is simply outstanding in all departments. Really happy with it. Flawless build too.
    Vinny,
    I knew you would bond perfectly with one of Marks guitars. He retains that classic Gibson styling with awesome acoustic properties and a flawless build quality. Can’t wait to see your next Campellone build.

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Vinny,
    I knew you would bond perfectly with one of Marks guitars. He retains that classic Gibson styling with awesome acoustic properties and a flawless build quality. Can’t wait to see your next Campellone build.
    Steve you were spot on. It sounds like a 60’s L5. Every time I play it, it sounds better. It isn’t even a year old yet either. Campellones are great guitars. Very light but still feels solid. Perfect top thickness. That is so important for my type of tone. Dark, thick, but lively too. Clear but not bright. Perfect archtop tone IMO.

User Info Menu

Glad that Campellone is working out for you

I have had round wounds on my Campellone acoustic since I got it ...

Revisiting this thread reminds me that it's time to give some flatwounds a try on mine

User Info Menu

Music Emporium apparently has two 16" Campellones, one of which is listed for $4,200 as a used 2017, 16" Standard w/ 24 3/4" scale & 3" rims.

Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Guitars-campellone7-jpg Campellone Guitars-campellone2-jpg Campellone Guitars-campellone10-jpg Campellone Guitars-campellone0-jpg 
    "Somebody get me out of this chair." - BOB WILLS
    Hammertone is a registered Hofnerologist.

As you can see his builds are flawless.