The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 128
    I know Campellones check easily as he still uses old school nitro compared to the nitro blend used on modern Gibsons.
    Also his finish is applied thinner than a Gibson. Most used Campellones that I have seen have some amount of checking. I have seen many over the years at archtop.com with some minor checking.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Certainly nothing against Campellone’s . They are fine Archtops and I always look to buy them.

In fact , the one I will be posting shortly from the Ted Krause Collection has some fine checking on back.
    Last edited by QAman; 03-11-2018 at 02:20 PM.

User Info Menu

The thing about old violins is all that checking and imperfections of the finish drives me crazy in a good way. You just want to touch it, play it, hear it.

That said, maybe not in a 2016 instrument.

User Info Menu

I've been away for over a month and finally getting caught up enough to see what you all have been up to on the forum. One of the first posts that I opened is this one, asking about Campellone. It obviously is getting toward the end of Winter because the thread makes me believe that there is a serious case of cabin fever (and GAS) going down and people are getting itchy for spring. This thread took me a half hour to get through, and I was speed reading. Holy Smokes! 162 replies.

I will only add a congratulations to Vinny on your Campellone order, since I own one. You are in for a Special treat. I love mine. I also enjoyed the many stories and generally friendly nature of them. What a great group of archtop guitar lovers.

Here's my Campellone:

Campellone Guitars-20180313_162919_1-jpg

Thank you sky !

User Info Menu

September 1993 (almost 25 years ago):
    Mark Campellone was advertising in places like Twentieth Century Guitar and Vintage Guitar magazine "Archtop builder. Traditionally styled, acoustic and electric models. For free information package, write or call ...".
    He's at:
    MCampellone.com | archtop guitars

Here are various used/vintage archtop listing asking prices from September 1993:

’28 L-5 ------------------------------------ $10,000 - Guitarville
    ’29 L-5 ------------------------------------ $15,000 - Guitarville
    ’30s Epi Broadway Masterbuilt----------- $2,500 - Guitarville
    ’30s L-4 ----------------------------------- $1,850 - Guitarville
    ’30s L-7 Advanced ----------------------- $2,500 - Guitarville
    ’37 ES-150--------------------------------- $3,950 - Guitarville
    ’37 L5 ------------------------------------- $2,500 - Elderly
    ’38 ES-150-------------------------------- $3,750 - Guitarville
    ’38 L-7 - added humbucker -------------- $975 - Guitarville
    ’38 Super 400 SB ------------------------- $7,500 - Guitar Broker
    ’43 D’A Excel ------------------------------- $20,000 - Tom Van Hoose
    ’47 L-7 - w/pickup ------------------------- $2,500 - Guitarville
    ’48 L5 --------------------------------------- $3,800 - Northeastern
    ’52 Super 400CN - McCarty ----------------- $20,000 - Guitar Broker
    ’53 ES-5 SB --------------------------------- $5,000 - Guitarville
    ’56 ES-175D SB PAF ------------------------ $2,000 - Elderly
    ’56 ES-295 ---------------------------------- $4,000 - Southworth
    ’56 Switchmaster N ------------------------- $6,500 - Southworth
    ’57 ES-175D SB pre-PAFs ------------------- $2,895 - Gulf Coast
    ’59 ES-350TN - PAFs ------------------------- $3,850 - Elderly
    ’59 Gertsch CC N ----------------------------- $2,500 - Northeastern
    ’61 Super 400CES SB, PAFs ----------------- $20,000 - Guitarville
    ’62 L-4C - SB - JS pickup -------------------- $1,500 - Buck Sulcer
    ’62 L-5C - Iced Tea burst, JS pickup -------- $7,500 - Guitar Broker
    ’64 Byrdland SB ----------------------------- $2,500 - Elderly
    ’65 ES-175D SB ------------------------------ $1,600 - Elderly
    ’65 Super 400CES PAFs - Iced Tea burst --- $15,000 - Guitar Broker
    ’66 L-5CESN ---------------------------------- $6,500 - Guitarville
    ’66 Super 400CESN -------------------------- $8,500 - Elderly
    ’68 BK Custom ------------------------------- $1,800 - Northeastern
    ’68 Byrdland refin dark green --------------- $1,850 - Elderly
    ’68 ES-175N ---------------------------------- $1,350 - Northeastern
    ’68 Super 400CESN -------------------------- $8,500 - Elderly
    ’69 Byrdland SB------------------------------- $3,500 - Guitarville
    ’90 L-5CES SB -------------------------------- $3,300 - Elderly
    ’91 Guild X-170 ------------------------------- $1,100 - New Hope
    Fender D’Aquisto Standard - black ---------- $1,195 - Gulf Coast
    'xx Super 300 --------------------------------- $2,900 - Northeastern
    ’91 L-5CES - diamond soundholes,Cobalt Blue - CS - $3,995 - Gulf Coast - I remember playing this one
    Triggs Key Largo - 16” D’A style,custom paint - $7,995 - Gulf Coast - I remember playing this one
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-06-2020 at 11:23 AM.

User Info Menu

AFAIK Bob hasn't been building guitars for some time, other than for the occasional special project. He comes in once a month or so and signs the back of the pegheads. He's old, like many of us, and is at least semi-retired. I don't begrudge him that one bit. Damon Mailand was Bob's apprentice for years, and has been doing the job himself for a good while. He doesn't do everything himself, but oversees the process. So if you buy a new Benedetto, it won't be built by Bob, but he still signs off on the guitars. I don't think the quality has suffered, and a Benedetto would still be my first choice for a new high-end guitar, if I ever do buy one. So far everything has been bought used, dictated by economics.

User Info Menu

I was In Seattle today and saw the Campellone at Archtop.com, and It looks in perfect condition. What a fine piece to behold!
    I have a newfound respect for Mr. Campellone, as I have never seen his work before. The image understates the actual guitar.
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Guitars-417x600x13cdlx_-jpg-pagespeed-ic-6-1qeqcebc-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

First time I played a Campellone, I was blown away! Made me a believer. You're going to love the guitar.

Mark Campellone's attention to detail is incredible. Like Matt Cushman a super nice guy also. Mark also makes a 24.6 scale 17x2.5 model. I am thinking of selling my Byrdland and getting that model too.

I like the way he does the tongue like a Guild AA. No possibility of a tail rise like a 1 piece Gibson neck. You have the ability to adjust the fall off when the neck is set unlike a Gibson.

User Info Menu

Vinny,
    You can see that Mark has perfected his build process. His workmanship IS impeccable and the shop is immaculate. Sort of like a Steve Andersen of the east coast. Ive owned several Campellones, and all of them were very good. You will be very impresssed with the finished product and likely buy another.

Your build is tempting me to order one, but I just have too many guitars and likely be scaling back soon.

Thanks for sharing your excitement !

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Steve I believe I have found my kind of a builder. He is anal just like me. He won't go to bed if there is sawdust on the shop floor. Joe told me your shop is the same way. You can eat off the floor. God bless my friend....V

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Steve I believe I have found my kind of a builder. He is anal just like me. He won't go to bed if there is sawdust on the shop floor. Joe told me your shop is the same way. You can eat off the floor. God bless my friend....V
    Vinny,
    I believe you have found the right builder for your needs.
    Marks fit , finish and acoustic responsiveness will delight you for sure. The neck will be dead straight, set up perfect and you will be proud of owning one ( or two). It will sound like a great L5 - very vibrant like the early post war period.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Vinny,
    You can see that Mark has perfected his build process. His workmanship IS impeccable and the shop is immaculate. Sort of like a Steve Andersen of the east coast. Ive owned several Campellones, and all of them were very good. You will be very impresssed with the finished product and likely buy another.

Your build is tempting me to order one, but I just have too many guitars and likely be scaling back soon.

Thanks for sharing your excitement !

I agree. I have owned two Campellones and they have been amazing. I sold my first one when I ordered the one I have now. I wish I had kept both. Mark is a really great builder.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Boy, does this bring back memories. (Mark must be getting a little faster, my standard thin-line Campellone didn't get to this stage until early July, if I remember correctly.) Here are a couple of shots of mine in Mark's shop from two years ago.

What a treasure you'll have when it's done. Enjoy the anticipation!

Campellone Guitars-campybottom-jpgCampellone Guitars-img_3890_1-jpg

User Info Menu

Wood "in the white" has a beauty all its own. These pix are a priceless record of the process, "baby pictures," if you will. I admire your self-control, Vinny. I would be sleepless with anticipation. Stay strong!

bmw2002, I have decided to get one more like yours. A standard with pearl dot inlays 17x 2.25 body.
    Amberburst with the Wesmo pickup configuration which is my go to choice. I dislike 2 pickup guitars.
    I have yet to see a pic of his shop with sawdust anywhere.
    He told me he is a one man show now. His helper retired. Mark is my age so like me is slowing down.
    He told me the most he can build now is 18 a year but realistically around 12. With his helper he was building around 25 a year. If you guys want one I would not wait to long. Father Time takes no prisoners.

User Info Menu

Very nice, very clean. I note the plastic binding. It is something I debate with students who feel that plastic is too déclassé for a custom build. I believe PERFECT plastic bindings are better than poorly executed wood bindings. I assume that is a ~$10K build, and looks every bit the part.

When I grow up I want a shop that clean and work that neat. Just a treat to watch come together. Will it be a blonde, or will it get some coloring?

User Info Menu

Being built with care and precision. You are going to love this guitar.

User Info Menu

Vinny,

The reason I dropped my plan to acquire another L-5 is I realized that I prefer a short scale (25 inches or less). 9 of my 14 guitars are short scale and the other 5 are long scale. I find that I mostly play the short scale guitars. I suspect that once you have this hand carved 17 inch short scale guitar in your hands, the long scale Gibsons will spend more and more time in their cases. That is until you sell them to commission more guitars from Mark

Marco he also offers a 24.6 scale length version. This one will be 25 inch. I agree bro.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 07-12-2018 at 11:17 PM.

User Info Menu

This is not going to be a popular sentiment. Sorry, up front. As a pianist, I prefer the sound of pianos with longer scales...to a point. (I wouldn't want a 12 foot grand.) Spinet pianos sound stubby, to me.

Similarly, guitars with 25-1/2" scales sound richer to me. Now, I love the ES175, but prefer the ES350.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    This is not going to be a popular sentiment. Sorry, up front. As a pianist, I prefer the sound of pianos with longer scales...to a point. (I wouldn't want a 12 foot grand.) Spinet pianos sound stubby, to me.

Similarly, guitars with 25-1/2" scales sound richer to me. Now, I love the ES175, but prefer the ES350.
    It is all a matter of taste. The Gypsy jazz guys like a 26.3 scale. To them 25.5 is short.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Eiriz
    Vinny: since I am also interested in ordering one whenever you have a chance to play it please tell us the difference in the amplified sound between Marks guitar and L-5s.
    Thanks so much... And congratulations.
    I can share some personal observations about Campellones vs. L5’s. I currently have a Campellone Special with a floating pickup and a 1963 L5C with a Johnny Smith pickup. My Campellone is the shorter “Johnny Smith” sized body with a 25” scale, so it is not exactly the same as an L5. I did, however, own a Campellone Deluxe before this one, which was exactly the same size and scale of an L5. My experience has been that my Campellones sound a little different than my L5C (and other L5 acoustics that I have played). My L5 is brighter, while my Campellones have both been a little warmer and more “modern” sounding, if you know what I mean. My previous L5 sized Campellone was louder acoustically than my current one and probably a little louder than the L5C. I have had lots of high end guitars, including a vintage D’Angelico, and I think the Campellone Deluxe that I regrettably sold, was probably the best sounding guitar I have ever owned. If I ordered another one, I would probably go back to the L5 body and scale, in hopes of recapturing the sound of the one I used to have. I have the highest regard for Mark’s guitars and also for Mark personally. I highly recommend him.
    Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 03-30-2019 at 03:27 PM.

My Campellone Special has a built in KA pu 17x3 25 inch scale. It is a acoustic cannon. Amplified it has a very warm clear tone slightly more acoustic than a L5 but not overly bright. It has a real nice clarity that my L5’s do not. It is kind of like comparing 2 L5’s. One with brand new strings and the other with very old strings. Basically L5 tone with more definition. To me it is like a L5 and a Golden Eagle mated and gave birth and the baby was this Campellone. The Campellone I have is simply outstanding in all departments. Really happy with it. Flawless build too.