The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 128
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I was going to be quite happy with a deluxe but my wife said to get the special. She likes the abalone bling.
    Another lover of the Abalone bling. Thanks for sharing. 'Go big or Go home' as the saying goes. It will be well worth it in the end. I don't think I have ever said 'I really like that guitar except for the abalone bling'.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A follow-up question - - has anyone determined why his ( bound ) guitars are lighter in weight than Gibsons ? I heard the top carve mentioned - -is he taking more off, and ending up with an Epi thickness, or is there something else ?

And yes that Cameo is a knockout !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    A follow-up question - - has anyone determined why his ( bound ) guitars are lighter in weight than Gibsons ? I heard the top carve mentioned - -is he taking more off, and ending up with an Epi thickness, or is there something else ?

And yes that Cameo is a knockout !
    Thicker than which Gibsons? My understanding is that the Gibson arch tops got thicker and heavier built as the years went by in order to avoid getting too many warranty repairs. Hence a 1950s ES-175 is far lighter than the contemporary tank. I've only played 1990s era L5s, but have read on the net that the 60's and earlier versions were also lighter (remember, Putin says if you see it on the internet it must be true!).

You see the thinner top complaint about Heritage too. But, if you're making smaller numbers of guitars, you don't have the same concerns as post-Beatles Gibson and can make the tops thinner and the instruments lighter.

I have not had the opportunity to play a Campellone, but with Heritage and Gibson Custom Shop largely down and out it seems like he's the last one standing for purchasing a new Gibson style arch top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ingeneri
    Thicker than which Gibsons? My understanding is that the Gibson arch tops got thicker and heavier built as the years went by in order to avoid getting too many warranty repairs. Hence a 1950s ES-175 is far lighter than the contemporary tank. I've only played 1990s era L5s, but have read on the net that the 60's and earlier versions were also lighter (remember, Putin says if you see it on the internet it must be true!).

You see the thinner top complaint about Heritage too. But, if you're making smaller numbers of guitars, you don't have the same concerns as post-Beatles Gibson and can make the tops thinner and the instruments lighter.

I have not had the opportunity to play a Campellone, but with Heritage and Gibson Custom Shop largely down and out it seems like he's the last one standing for purchasing a new Gibson style arch top.
    My first hunch was that he was that if his are lighter, perhaps he's taking it out of the binding, reminding me of Jimmy D'A's preferences. I don't know whether his instruments are lighter than a Gibson, I just remember reading that here.

Ordered it. Mark is a super nice guy. Very accommodating. He knows exactly what I want. He starts on it in a week.
    5AAA woods with sunglasses required to avoid retina damage.

User Info Menu

Ordered it. Mark is a super nice guy. Very accommodating. He knows exactly what I want. He starts on it in a week.

Congrats !

I get the feeling he's going to get busier building instruments for the 'smart money'.

And rightfully so.

User Info Menu

This was the way my guitar tech in Menlo Park (Dave Tupper) explained it to me. He had quite a collection of instruments and showed me by examples in his inventory...

User Info Menu

I think the heavier builds on modern Gibsons is also about feedback resistance. By the 70's, guitars were being played LOUD! There is more acoustic tone in the lighter builds. If you compare a new figured 175 against the 59 VOS 175 you will feel (the 59VOS is a pound lighter) and hear the difference. My experience with 90's Gibsons is that they are not as lightly built as the 50's/60's builds, but are more lightly built that the 70's/80's Gibsons and the Gibsons built since 2000. IMO, the 90's Gibsons are the best of both worlds. But is all about preference, none is right or wrong.

The Heritage founders wanted to create a different guitar than the modern Gibsons and carved a thinner top. Due to design choices and wood choices, they have their own sound, often brighter than a modern or vintage Gibson counterpart. Again, it is all about preference, none is right or wrong

User Info Menu

Did Mr. Campellone mention what the expected TAT would be for your new guitar? I can feel the excitement all the way over here BTW!

The density of the wood plays a big factor too. I have 3 newish L5 Wesmo’s. Weight difference is quite noticeable between the 3 exact same models. The 2008 is the heaviest and the 2016 is the lightest with the 2010 being in the middle. On the heaviest you can’t even see any spruce lines as the grain is that tight. On the 2016 the spruce lines are very wide. Maple can really vary in weight too.

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Did Mr. Campellone mention what the expected TAT would be for your new guitar? I can feel the excitement all the way over here BTW!

ETA July.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    This was the way my guitar tech in Menlo Park (Dave Tupper) explained it to me. He had quite a collection of instruments and showed me by examples in his inventory...

Hey Mike I remember Dave. Man that goes way back in time.

User Info Menu

Good luck, Vinny, though I doubt you'll need it.

User Info Menu

July?! That's less time than I'd have imagined. Sunburst? 18"? Although I heard Mark's no longer building 18's. That 18" Special is a find. If only it was natural. Congrats Vinny!

User Info Menu

I have to admit to some envy, Vinny. I'm happy for you. Someday, I hope to be suffering the same anticipation as you.

User Info Menu

July of THIS year? How is that even possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He builds batches of 6 at a time. My batch due in July or so. Batch after that early winter and so on.

User Info Menu

I wonder why no more 18"s?
    Mark's guitars have always been a good bang for the buck, well made, sound good, consistent quality.
    Interesting to note that while many of the top builders have doubled, tripled their prices or more in the last 5-10 yrs, Mark has been one of the few that has remained reasonable. It's baffling that it's hard to get your $ back if you decide to sell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I wonder why no more 18"s?
    Mark's guitars have always been a good bang for the buck, well made, sound good, consistent quality.
    Interesting to note that while many of the top builders have doubled, tripled their prices or more in the last 5-10 yrs, Mark has been one of the few that has remained reasonable. It's baffling that it's hard to get your $ back if you decide to sell.
    I noticed that too. I noticed too that there are not nearly as many Campy's on the used market as there were even 3 years ago. Folks obviously are keeping them, as well they should. Far and away the best priced American made archtop guitar with name recognition, especially now since Heritage is no longer producing archtops.

User Info Menu

Well JD, at the most recently convened meeting
    of the Archtops Acquisition Comittee , Mrs Vinny
    Vice President in the chair. It was agreed that
    Vinny could purchase a Campellone , forsaking
    all others. You might be correct however,
    that some subversive activity may take place
    in the interim., having been carefully schooled
    in the black arts , as all “ 00 “ agents are trained
    those of us skilled in this realm have expertise
    above and beyond the call of duty.
    This may incur the penalty of a UFO attack, in
    the form of Cast Iron Frying Pans.
    Fortunately “M” will be on hand to deal with
    dissidents. During this period the wearing of
    Kevlar helmets and protective Vests is advisable .

007 ( my nickname for silverfoxx ) is stoking the coals. You are all a bunch of enablers. The constant devils whispering in my ear. Not to mention Big Joe emailing me constant Reverb ads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Well JD, at the most recently convened meeting
    of the Archtops Acquisition Comittee , Mrs Vinny
    Vice President in the chair. It was agreed that
    Vinny could purchase a Campellone , forsaking
    all others. You might be correct however,
    that some subversive activity may take place
    in the interim., having been carefully schooled
    in the black arts , as all “ 00 “ agents are trained
    those of us skilled in this realm have expertise
    above and beyond the call of duty.
    This may incur the penalty of a UFO attack, in
    the form of Cast Iron Frying Pans.
    Fortunately “M” will be on hand to deal with
    dissidents. During this period the wearing of
    Kevlar helmets and protective Vests is advisable .

You aint kidding Foxman.
    Vinny was funny. Last time.. He said, "Hey, we're even. I bought her a new washer machine".. I almost gave myself a hernia laughing so hard.

007 ( my nickname for silverfoxx ) is stoking the coals. You are all a bunch of enablers. The constant devils whispering in my ear. Not to mention Big Joe emailing me constant Reverb ads.
    Just remember my prediction Mr Vincent.. One of them will be a Black one. Probably with one set in pickup..

L,J

User Info Menu

If I had gotten into jazz guitar back in the 70's or even early 90's I'd own a slew of L5's, Super 400's, Campellone's, and Trenier's. Instead of buying audio gear I would have been buying guitars. But when you miss the cheap buying curve you're lucky to own 1 of those great Gibson's purchased after 2010. I feel gratitude to own 1.

Mark emailed me today and said he would send pics of the entire build process. That makes it even more exciting. Matt Cushman did that. Makes the build quite fun.

User Info Menu

Mark emailed me today and said he would send pics of the entire build process. That makes it even more exciting. Matt Cushman did that. Makes the build quite fun.
    Mark did that for me too. He is a terrific guy and he makes amazing guitars.
    Keith