The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

hey all,
    what are some good jazz guitar amps that are small but still loud? I need something that i can conveniently take on the bus/train to go to gigs at medium-sized places. solid state would probably be best for this, but im open to anything

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

phil jones

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam G
    hey all,
    what are some good jazz guitar amps that are small but still loud? I need something that i can conveniently take on the bus/train to go to gigs at medium-sized places. solid state would probably be best for this, but im open to anything
    It's easy to find small guitar amplifiers but unfortunately they are all very quiet until one adds SPEAKERS That's the part that makes them loud but also makes them big, darn it. (Reality check, not sarcasm, intended.)

Before I joined this forum, I read EVERY post on it. The discussion of small jazz amplifiers with adequate power was the longest in the forum. You should try reading it, if you're English-fluent which, by your post, you definitely are. LOTS of information and entertainment there ...

Cheers,
    randyc

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    the lunchbox amp has gotten mostly good reviews. but lately people have been complaining of it's overall lameness.

maybe try a gailein kruger

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baltar Hornbeek
    maybe try a gailein kruger
    FYI, I have a GK that I bought in the 80's with 100w, 2x6 & a nice carrying bag with a shoulder strap. Sounds like CRAP!! I never play it for guitar, have it hooked to a cheap keyboard for my kids.

Archie Guest
    I had one of those. It sounded pretty good through a 2-12" cabinet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    I had one of those. It sounded pretty good through a 2-12" cabinet.
    Those = Lunchbox, or GK?

Anyhowdy, one way to go is with a small amp head and a light speaker cabinet. You can put the head with your cables and other small gear in a backpack, then carry your gittar in one hand and the cabinet in the other.

For example, consider Acoustic Image.

The Corus+ has a removable head (~5 lbs, 800W) and it's not clear, either the cabinet is 20lb or together they weigh 20 lbs.

Archie Guest
    GK. My friend Tim Brady had one, and I was impressed by the way it sounded. It sounded better when he played his, though.

User Info Menu

I've always wondered what a GK MB-150E would sound like with a guitar. I used one as my only gigging amp for years when I was playing dog-house bass. It was an awesome little amp and built like a fireplug.

User Info Menu

See about a Daolectro Nifty Fifty. I used to own one, great little amp It can be cranked, and has many dial in tones. Should be cheap.

User Info Menu

General comment: I'm always hesitant to recommend an amp that is no longer being made. I've seen people recommend amps that were last made in the 1970's! What do you think?

Maybe one of the smaller Roland Cube amps.

User Info Menu

Not sure of your price range, but I am really happy wth the Phil Jones Super Cub. It's 26lbs with 6 five inch speakers. It can get pretty darn loud. There's a hi and low switch paired with the volume knobs on each channel. Sounds awesome. Premier Guitar did a great review of the amp (as well as the cub).

User Info Menu

Sam, it would help if you gave an upper bound in the cost, and on the weight!

thanks for the replies everyone, theyve been helpful. I especially like the looks of the phil jones amps. my upper limit for cost is around $500. to me the weight isnt as important as the size. I saw that jazzkat amps has an 8-inch 75 watt amp. does anyone have experience with this one?

User Info Menu

Small budget: Roland Cube 60 or 80 (good clean sound)
    Big Budget: Polytone, Henriksen, AER

User Info Menu

If you have to walk distances, some sort of wheeled carrier makes all the difference.

User Info Menu

Fender Blues Jr.
    its tube but its small and kicks ass. i love it. really warm tone

User Info Menu

Cube 80. Kicks ass!

User Info Menu

I'm still liking my lunchbox, and using it regularly at gigs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcis
    Big Budget: Polytone
    not used! check ebay, they regularly go for under 400 bucks.

i too am doing more and more with the lunchbox. for playing with a group it's fine (i do like a little outboard reverb to "open it up" a little)--but for solo gigs, i still like a bigger speaker for a little more bass response...i have a polytone MB III that i essentially bartered for, but i've seen a few in the last year on the bay go for around $350. loud, not too heavy (@30lbs.) and clean for days...

User Info Menu

This BillM modded Blues Jr. would certainly do the trick.

Billm Audio Custom 25 watt Blues Junior with 5881 (or 6V6)

User Info Menu

Phil Jones Cub acoustic guitar amp, 11.5 lbs.
    100 watts.
    Very quiet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bodidR
    Phil Jones Cub acoustic guitar amp, 11.5 lbs.
    100 watts.
    Very quiet.
    I have a Phil Jones CUB AG-100 and I love it. It's small, but I hesitate to call it loud. Or is that what you meant by "very quiet"?

User Info Menu

Very quiet as in no noise from the amp. I've had some GK amps that had too much noise (as in S/N ratio). No the Cub is not loud but loud enough unless its a big venue. But it sure is portable! I also have some Music Man amps but tube amps are so much heavier because of the transformers (among other things). Polytones are OK, I like the 'brown' ones the best, but not much variety in tone. Did the Raezors Edge and Image, but combo amps are more portable than lots of stuff to hook up.
    IMHO