Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 101 to 127 of 127

User Info Menu

BM~ Were those cigars rolled on the ample thighs of beautiful Cuban virgins.
    .......or this virgin?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Is it easier to get Cuban cigars right now?
    This is the best cigar I’ve ever had. Top shelf boys..
    Attachment 51427
    it was also the only cigar I ever had.
    New Years Eve, 1998. Party at Tommy Grillo’s House. We smoked these, and drank Sambuca Black, frozen.
    i never got so sick in my life. I crawled home (right next door. Thank God). When I got home all the batteries died in the smoke detectors, and my wife insisted that I change every one of them. Including the one in our master bedroom which had 16 ft ceilings.
    I have not smoked or drank any of that shit ever since..

Joe D
    Oh, man, Joe, great story! Gave me a blast from the past. Back in my college days, Parodis (same cigar, different name) were the go-to all-nighter helper-outer. Those dry-seasoned Toscana beauties were, shall we say, robust. Or vile, depending on your POV. But they could be had for the change you might find in your couch. Add a basket-bottled chianti and a baloney sammich, and life was good.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Love me some fine archtops and red wine, but please keep your stogies. Even when I regrettably smoked cigarettes 20 years ago, I could never tolerate cigars. Must be an acquired taste but at this point I have no desire to acquire it. I prefer to keep my lungs clear so I can run a few miles the next morning!
    Permanent favorites: 2016 Gibson L-5 WesMo, 1999 Gibson L-5CESN, 1928 Gibson L-5
    Play more, buy less

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Oh, man, Joe, great story! Gave me a blast from the past. Back in my college days, Parodis (same cigar, different name) were the go-to all-nighter helper-outer. Those dry-seasoned Toscana beauties were, shall we say, robust. Or vile, depending on your POV. But they could be had for the change you might find in your couch. Add a basket-bottled chianti and a baloney sammich, and life was good.
    As far as wine goes..
    my father made his own wine my whole life growing up.
    There was always wine on the table and in the salad. I can tell you with 100% certainty. I never tasted wine that came close to the Wine we made. It was so smooth. So drinkable. We grow the grapes on the side of the house. And the cucuzza grew on the same vines. Sometimes 3 ft long!

User Info Menu

Wine in the salad?

As in Red-Wine vinegar? And is there anything else I didn't learn while in South-Philly?
    "You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

I actually have a great salad dressing recipe that uses red wine, not red wine vinegar.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler View Post
    .......or this virgin?

Well, that guy would definitely have fit in at the old Heritage!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Is it easier to get Cuban cigars right now?
    This is the best cigar I’ve ever had. Top shelf boys..
    Attachment 51427
    it was also the only cigar I ever had.
    New Years Eve, 1998. Party at Tommy Grillo’s House. We smoked these, and drank Sambuca Black, frozen.
    i never got so sick in my life. I crawled home (right next door. Thank God). When I got home all the batteries died in the smoke detectors, and my wife insisted that I change every one of them. Including the one in our master bedroom which had 16 ft ceilings.
    I have not smoked or drank any of that shit ever since..

Joe D

Holy Mackerel Joe! I thought they were banned by the Geneva Convention. Growing up in Brooklyn we had several colorful--non p.c.-- names for that brand.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

De Nobili, the dog rocket of choice of Don Vito in the novel, The Godfather... Acknowledged by the author as bitter and vile, it was The Don's choice just the same. Me, I've tried smoking purportedly great Honduran and Nicauagan cigars and frankly they tasted like paper and stunk all to hell. I live a block from a nice cigar shop, once in a while when the weather is brutally cold (like less than 20 f) I go there. But just them venting out the place from time to time, that smell wafts over here in the breeze and it's lousy.

Now when I smoke on my porch, or when I used to smoke on this fabulous park bench in Sausalito with a view of San Francisco at my command people would be walking by me. From 20 feet or so they'd give me this nasty look (oh a guy smoking a fucking stinky cigar...) but when they got close they'd comment, WOW, that smells good for a cigar. And I'd tell them (like I do the folks that walk by my place here) it's Cuban, it should smell good, it IS good...

So all your jokes aside about my smoking cigars. Ha-ha guys...
    Yeah I smoked my share of Swisher Sweets, Black and Tans, Perodi's, all those dog rockets we smoked when we shoulda been serenading young girls and kissing them. Aaahhh the joys of adolescence...

So, not to tip my hand. But what do you guys think of Heritage H575 Customs, flame carved top and back, rosewood board on a hog neck, block inlays, bound headstock, Duncans ??? Hmmmm anyone care to opine for me while I wait for the weather to warm back up enough I can select another farm rolled beast by Felipe from Finca Salvatore ??

Big

another of the great locations and brands: Finca El Pinar, Vegas Robaina

Me trying to school you guys about Cuban cigars (and rum) would be like trying to school some kids at TGP about how great Heritage guitars are.

Heritage Guitar Uproar-27912662_10215987719666699_2898217572216309756_o-jpg

User Info Menu

No Jokes Mike.
    I am just proving exactly what a simpleton I really am..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post

So, not to tip my hand. But what do you guys think of Heritage H575 Customs, flame carved top and back, rosewood board on a hog neck, block inlays, bound headstock, Duncans ??? Hmmmm
    I think that sounds like my kinda guitar...
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

?Not a simpleton Joe, I'm just into a lot of shit others aren't.

Now don't ever watch this guy play if you are interested in what a particular guitar sounds like, you'll be buying before you know what hit you.

User Info Menu

Now don't ever watch this guy play if you are interested in what a particular guitar sounds like, you'll be buying before you know what hit you.

great tone, great guitar. again, what's that headstock sound like? proof that playing is in the fingers of the player.
    "You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

He has a very nice Hofner New President review too which sealed my decision to buy one. Polytone is covered well too !
    -----------------------------------

"The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

User Info Menu

No jokes from this cigar guy, Big. I've got 150 or so hecho a mano beauties in my humidors waiting for spring and the joys of a good book and a fine cigar to arrive. Nothing in your class, to be sure, but nice Dominican Cohibas, Partagas, Honduran Hoyos de Monterey, assorted boutique brands, some J.R.s, and so forth, just a nice selection of blends to while away an hour or two contemplating nature, watching the birds and the squirrels ( we go through a quarter-ton of black oil sunflower seed or more every year here at casa k), followed by a couple hours with the guitar du jour. Life is good.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler View Post
    .......or this virgin?

I grew up in Miami and I don't think I've met a Cuban virgin.

User Info Menu

No jokes from this cigar guy, Big. I've got 150 or so hecho a mano beauties in my humidors waiting for spring and the joys of a good book and a fine cigar to arrive. Nothing in your class, to be sure, but nice Dominican Cohibas, Partagas, Honduran Hoyos de Monterey, assorted boutique brands, some J.R.s, and so forth, just a nice selection of blends to while away an hour or two contemplating nature, watching the birds and the squirrels ( we go through a quarter-ton of black oil sunflower seed or more every year here at casa k), followed by a couple hours with the guitar du jour. Life is good.
    Soooo, you're not allowed to smoke them in house either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC View Post
    Soooo, you're not allowed to smoke them in house either.
    Given that 90% of my modest selection is courtesy of Mrs.k, that's not an issue. On one of her trips south to visit her sister, a stop at J.R.'s and a list supplied by me resulted in much of my present supply. If you're ever in the area, drop by. I'm always glad to share with friends, new or old.
    Oh, and no need to bring a guitar. I have some. Porch playin' and parejos - pretty good!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Here in Kentucky it's sitting on the back step with an ounce of Makers Mark and a lever-action rifle to shoot at feral cats...
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Mine...
    Heritage Guitar Uproar-18889313_435613030130880_1844989213011869696_n-jpg

When Heritage are good, they are GOOD! And the Gibson vibe is strong with them, for better or worse.. sorry for the crap cellphone pic

Heritage Guitar Uproar-golden-eagle-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    When Heritage are good, they are GOOD! And the Gibson vibe is strong with them, for better or worse.. sorry for the crap cellphone pic

Heritage Guitar Uproar-golden-eagle-jpg
    A rare single humbucker GE in SSB. A local friend had that identical guitar for sale about 5 years ago. He placed it for sale on ebay. I'm curious if that's where you bought this one. Beautiful Golden Eagle!

Just noticed i never replied to this thread!! This one belongs to a student (and friend) of mine actually, but he did buy it from the US a few years back so it may be the same one! It 's a really great one, looker and player. And the dimensions are super, both for comfort and live playing. If i wasn't left handed this guitar would almost certainly be mine by now

Heritage Guitar Uproar-img_20180601_152647_hht-jpgHeritage Guitar Uproar-img_20180601_152704_hht-jpgHeritage Guitar Uproar-img_20180601_152658_hht-jpgHeritage Guitar Uproar-img_20180601_152652_hht-jpgHeritage Guitar Uproar-img_20180601_152726_hht-jpg

User Info Menu

Heritage Guitar Uproar-img_20180601_152704_hht-jpgHeritage Guitar Uproar-img_20180601_152726_hht-jpg

This GE appears to have a slightly thinner body width. Or is it the photo?

No it is thinner, one thing i loved about it

User Info Menu

My Golden Eagle, long-lost, ever grieved, had a 3" rim.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    No it is thinner, one thing i loved about it
    I'd love a thinline GE! Dibbs!

I know, you are in Greece and I'm in the home of the Golden State Warriors, but I had to ask. That GE is the PERFECT match to my H525 Sunset Burst.