The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 103

User Info Menu

Yes, I have my mind (alas, not my wallet) on at least one other Elferink guitar...
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 02-23-2018 at 07:59 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cheers! Imagine how this guitar will sound a few months down the road!!

User Info Menu

How very amazing. Thanks Rob.

User Info Menu

Some of the most heart felt playing Ive heard in years! I love hearing someone who can play from the heart instead of the charts! Absolutley wonderful! Bob

User Info Menu

Congratulations, Rob !

The sound is just so perfect, it is actually more desirable than i thought it would end up being when following your Elferink thread.

It has all the qualities i dream of in both arched- and flat- tops, without any of the drawbacks.

But it wouldn't mean much without such a masterful playing !

Played with your Gibson heavy picks ?

User Info Menu

Oh Rob, it sounds so lovely! What an amazingly rich sound and it also seems to sustain really well. Also, lovely playing!
    Let us know what strings you settle on please. I have a somewhat similar guitar and I am still struggling with the right choice of strings.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys.

xuoham - yes, my trusty Gibson EH pick. I've tried dozens of makes and models, cheap and very expensive, but have yet to find anything more suitable for my style of playing.

Frank67 - I'm very happy with the Philippe Bosset strings, except the 2nd could benefit from being an 18 rather than a 17. I'll ask them if they could make me one, or use an 18 by another brand.

User Info Menu

Rob , beautiful guitar - reminds me of my non cut Trenier Broadway styling. Your playing is always very tasteful and unrushed . These compositions really showcased the guitars tonal aspects quite well. A real sweet round midrange and nice harmonics .

Thanks for taking the time to post the video . You and Fran’s should be real pleased. Wishing you many years of enjoyment.

User Info Menu

Cheers, Q. Appreciated.

User Info Menu

I watched your video again last night and was entertained by you affectionately patting the neck at 2:47.

I can't wait to hear this after it's been played for a few years. Brand new it sounds great but my guess is it will just get better the more you play it.
    Last edited by Gramps; 02-23-2018 at 09:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Cheers, Gramps. All part of the bonding process

Well, I'll certainly be playing it a lot, so we shall see...

User Info Menu

Congrats. Happy that you found and got your guitar. Suits you sir.
    And as always, the playing is so beautiful. Articulate, contemplative and just, well, perfect.

All the best to you and your "newborn".

User Info Menu

Wow, that sounds fantastic -- such a big sound, like Bösendorfer-sized grandness
    It will be good to hear more of this, as you find time.

John

User Info Menu

Cheers, Teddy. Cheers, John.

One day later, and I'm still liking it. That must be a record!

User Info Menu

Just got a chance to play your clip with a decent set of speakers.

Beautiful beautiful beautiful!

That instrument sounds so amazing!

User Info Menu

Wow, what an amazing sounding guitar. Great playing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Guido, thanks for making the effort. Good speakers can make such a difference.

User Info Menu

Listen to it? I thought all this praise was just because the Elfe was so beautiful

Goes to the link again .... plugs in headphones ... listens ... tries to unsmack his gob .....

Holy crow Rob. You and that guitar are made for each other. I could listen to that all day - and probably will.

Congratulations again,
    Chris
    Last edited by cgratham; 02-24-2018 at 12:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Haha, Chris. Glad you used headphones - makes a difference. Thanks for your comment, a good start to my day!

User Info Menu

Congratulations, Rob on the acquisition of a superb example of craftsmanship. The sound is indeed evocative of the 1920's - 30's sound you sought. I heard you play before I read the article and was about to tell you the sound reminded me of classic Gibsons of that early plectrum era. Please check Jonathan Stout on YouTube who plays a variety of late 20's and early 30's Gibsons and the sound of your Elferink is remarkably similar.
    May you enjoy many years with your new beauty and thanks for your postings

User Info Menu

Cheers, gtrpltfla. Jonathan is already known and greatly admired in the MacKillop household, though we play very differently.

User Info Menu

Sounds massive! Congrats

User Info Menu

Rob, Congratulations. It sounds wonderful. Nice round clear tone with good sustain. I'm also a fan of this kind of tone over say the typical Es-175 tone. I could tell at the 2:40 mark on your video that you are pretty pleased with the end product. Looking forward to more sound samples. One question.What is the depth of this guitar? rob

User Info Menu

Hi Rob. 85mm. Here are the figures:

Model Excalibur Special 18” noncutaway
    Body size 45,7cm (18”) measured across lower bout
    Body depth 85mm
    Scale 63,5cm ( 25”)
    Neck width at nut 45mm
    Top Solid handcarved and tuned European spruce
    Top bracing patern X
    Back Hand carved solid flamed European maple
    Rims Solid flamed European maple
    Neck Flamed maple
    Fingerboard Ebony
    Headstock Pickguard Ebony
    TailPiece Ebony
    Adjustable Bridge Ebony
    Binding top 7 ply celluloid binding
    Binding back 1 ply celluloid binding
    Binding fingerboard 3 ply celluloid binding
    Binding f holes 2 ply celluloid binding
    Binding headstock 3 ply celluloid binding
    Binding pickguard 1 ply celluloid binding (pickguard shape see figure 1)
    Inlays block inlay on fingerboard
    Tuners Schaller gold with ebony buttons
    Floating pickup non
    Finish Taditional nitrocellulose lacquer (high gloss)
    Colour Tobacco sunburst (see figure 1)
    Case Hiscox case

User Info Menu

The largest Hiscox Case, GJ Jumbo, measures 17" across the inner lower bout dimension. Rob, did you get a Hiscox or is that a typo?

I am looking for a Hiscox if they do have one that fits 18"-ers. I have been advised to go Calton Case for that.