The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Hi,

I've just acquired this Arthur Crow Guitar.

I can't find any information about him other than he died in 96 and was from Longmont Colorado. It's a lovely instrument and in great playing condition.

Arhur Crow Archtop-crow-guitar-jpg

Does anybody know anything about him and his guitars. I'd love to know a bit of history.

Cheers everyone.

Vo Fletcher.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

1) 2) I know absolutely nothing of the late builder, but that is certainly a nice sunburst! Congratulations on your instrument, and play it in good health!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 02-21-2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: tYp0z

User Info Menu

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Lovely stuff.....congratulations!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous. Sadly I've never heard of the guy. Seriously talented, though.

User Info Menu

Arthur Crow was my father. So good to see one of his guitars on the Jazz Guitar Forum!
    Leann

User Info Menu

In all of my years of playing and teaching guitar for a living, I've never heard of Arthur Crow either.

If that guitar sounds as beautiful as it looks, then you've got a real treasure in your hands!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LMsharp
    Arthur Crow was my father. So good to see one of his guitars on the Jazz Guitar Forum!
    Leann
    Leann, welcome to the forum! I'm sure many here would appreciate some information about your father. What can you tell us about his guitar life?

User Info Menu

Leann
    Ma'am, sorry for your loss...
    Welcome to our forum.
    I am glad you found us and like Rob I too would love to have you share any details about your father you care to divulge. Many of us not only love guitars but love knowing about their heritage, the builders and what got them started, what made them "tick" if you will...

Regards

BigMike

User Info Menu

Try Joe Vinakow at Archtop.com, George Gruhn at Gruhnguitars.com

User Info Menu

I would love to share information about Dad. I'll go through my computer and find some pics of his Crow Archtop guitars purchased primarily by jazz musicians.
    Here's a pic of Dad taken in his shop one day. This guitar was one of his early productions. His inlay logo at that time was the Twin Peaks , Rocky Mountains of Colorado, seen from his shop window in rural Longmont, CO.
    Will share more later.Arhur Crow Archtop-dad-crow-archtop-guitars-jpg
    Leann
    Last edited by LMsharp; 04-27-2018 at 05:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow Leann,

This is great. Looking forward to anything and everything you care to mention about your father and his guitars.

Many Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vo Fletcher
    Hi,

I've just acquired this Arthur Crow Guitar.

I can't find any information about him other than he died in 96 and was from Longmont Colorado. It's a lovely instrument and in great playing condition.

Arhur Crow Archtop-crow-guitar-jpg

Does anybody know anything about him and his guitars. I'd love to know a bit of history.

Cheers everyone.

Vo Fletcher.
    Wonder how this great looking (and I hope as great sounding) guitar got from Colorado to you.

Can I bug you for some specs? Lower bout width, body depth, fret size, top grain (assume Sitka, but wide, narrow grain, etc,...), general neck profile?

What a fine guitar to find in an unlikely place. And now with a line toward its origins.

Life is good.

User Info Menu

After seeing that lovely example I went searching and all I came up with was a recent ad for it. I attach a link for that ad as a public service because there are other photos. It's really a very nicely executed build... Kudos...

Big

Rare Arthur Crow acoustic jazz archtop guitar, USA. FINAL REDUCTION !! (Gloucestershire) | Music & Instruments

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Ooh she’s pretty.

User Info Menu

I raised chickens while I lived in New Jersey. Never knew how hard a rooster worked protecting his girls until I lost a few to hawks and such. Here's my old pal Crink having his first taste of Dad's homemade fettuccine ala carbonara... So any guitar with a rooster inlaid on it is more than ok with me...

Happy
    Saturday to you in Heaven buddy...

Michael W. Hale - Happy Saturday in Heaven Crink. You’re...

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for the picture Leann. It's great to be able to put a face to the name. He looks like he was a lovely man besides being an excellent Luthier.

Cheers.

Vo.

User Info Menu

Leann
    Arhur Crow Archtop-56-jpeg

I just got this crow guitar i'm from Buxton Oregon I would like to know more about this guitar if possible. Its signed Arthur Crow 1991 on the inside

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wattst3v3n

I just got this crow guitar i'm from Buxton Oregon I would like to know more about this guitar if possible. Its signed Arthur Crow 1991 on the inside

User Info Menu

Hi all new member just came on board to say the 1994 Crow pictured here a few years ago has now found its way to NW London (U.K.) and I seem to be the proud current owner. I found a little more info about Arthur and put it on Instagram, but obvs nothing as detailed as his family could provide, if they’re still across the posts here. Love to hear it. Such a fine instrument. I am not worthy! My friendly local luthier (no mean builder and jazz player himself) was speechless for a while when I first showed it to him. He has worked on it briefly but there was, frankly, almost nothing to do. I have more pix if there’s any interest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LondonMike
    I have more pix if there’s any interest.
    Welcome to the forum (failing to beat K to the punch, ha!) Please post all the pix you have of the guitar.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-20-2023 at 01:40 AM.

User Info Menu

These guitars are a amazing! Any more info on this builder? What years was he active?

I met Arthur Crow in 1992 at his shop near Longmont, Colorado. Arthur was a very nice humble man. I was in awe. He let me play several guitars. Each is work of love. He even excused himself to go to his house and retrieve two from his personal stash. Exquisite. I'm curious what you paid, you are very fortunate to have one of his gems. You scored a beautiful Guitar. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

I played this guitar (if it wasn't this one then there's another exactly like it in the UK) back in September at a Guitar Show in Leeds.

Been thinking about it ever since.

If anyone is parting ways with theirs please let me know.