The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 78

User Info Menu

Unbelievable! If it sounds as good as it looks, its a definite "keeper".

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You know, Mark, when Heritage wanted to show what it could do, guitars like this one popped out.

There are a handful of Heritages that really knock my socks off (and none that I don't like). This one is a real sock-stealer.

GT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    You know, Mark, when Heritage wanted to show what it could do, guitars like this one popped out.

There are a handful of Heritages that really knock my socks off (and none that I don't like). This one is a real sock-stealer.

GT
    I believe you got the queen of the show, sir.

User Info Menu

Yeah, congrats on that GE thinline! The lines of the Florentine cutaway and the pointed pickguard just really work well together. Imho, anyways.

What a distinctive --and gorgeous--Heritage!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Better lighting pics.

Woooow. That is drop dead gorgeous. Congrats and thanks for all of the photos - that is definitely one of the best looking Heritages I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

The Heritage H-555 arrived safely. It's a 2013 and weighs 8.0 lbs. The neck is a very nice 59 carve that is well rounded and not too deep. It is easy for me to keep my thumb behind the neck without discomfort.

Here are some pics. They can't convey the 3D flaming.

Heritage Golden Eagle thinline-20180216_104717-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle thinline-20180216_104740-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle thinline-20180216_104832-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle thinline-20180216_104844-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle thinline-20180216_104902-jpgHeritage Golden Eagle thinline-20180216_105001-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow, what a neck on that 555!! Well done, sir.

User Info Menu

So aside from the beautiful asthetic of both of your Heritages. How would you describe the differences to your Gibsons, in terms of say neck shapes, overall feel, tone? For me I couldn't bond with the feel vs. the Gibsons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    So aside from the beautiful aesthetic of both of your Heritages. How would you describe the differences to your Gibsons, in terms of say neck shapes, overall feel, tone? For me I couldn't bond with the feel vs. the Gibsons.
    Heritage vs. Gibson in semi-hollow:

The most obvious difference, besides the headstock, is that Heritages are slightly thinner, 1 5/8" vs. 1 6/8". That should make them slightly lighter with likely no loss of tone.

The Heritages are literally made the same way the 1950s and 60s Gibsons were, using the same archaic equipment.

Gibson makes necks to tight specs without much human element. Heritage hand shapes each neck, which means there's far more variability. Customers and dealers commonly would specify their neck carves. The point is that it is not really possible to generalize what a Heritage neck is. The default neck carve is more consistent now because there are gauges to guide the guy running the belt sander.

Heritage over the years has used various pickups. Most often they are SD 59s now. My new guitar does have Gibson 490s. The friend I got it from dumped the 59s because he thought they were too hot for the guitar. He found the 490s were a better fit. He's a clean jazz player.

Here's what I expect when I plug the Heritage in. It will sound something like a Lucille. Maybe the f holes change the sound some. We'll see.

User Info Menu

Yumm

User Info Menu

Tone report:

Sounds very good. The 490s work well. Superb sustain with these D'Addario round wound 10s that came on the guitar.

Not much else to say.

Great shots of the Eagle. Perfect blending with the colors/shading. There is a lot to like with that guitar Mark. Great score.

User Info Menu

So having owned a H-535 I think they are fine functional instruments. But I changed the Schaller pickups out, way too dark, and the Schaller bridge for a tune o matic type one. I really remember not bonding with the neck shape at all. Way too tapered and slim in the first 5 -7 frets. And while this is also common on some Gibsons, they seem to have more shoulder to offset it a bit more.

I even sent it back to have renecked with a larger 1950's shape neck. They ended up screwing up the job so I couldn't get the neck relief set properly. Boy was I pissed, after waiting a year. They did send me a replacement guitar that I chose from their stock, H-550.
    But ultimately sold it for the same reasons.

It sure seems they are capable of making some fine guitars, but just not my taste. Especially in their standard neck shape, and asthetic taste of design. Hopefully with their new owners and luthiers they will improve in this area.

User Info Menu

Sorry for your bad experience with Heritage.

I have not always done well with my deals, but I do best getting a guitar from someone I know personally.

There are some bad Heritages, particularly from more than two years ago. There are also some world class instruments.

So having owned a H-535 I think they are fine functional instruments. But I changed the Schaller pickups out, way too dark, and the Schaller bridge for a tune o matic type one. I really remember not bonding with the neck shape at all. Way too tapered and slim in the first 5 -7 frets. And while this is also common on some Gibsons, they seem to have more shoulder to offset it a bit more.

I even sent it back to have renecked with a larger 1950's shape neck. They ended up screwing up the job so I couldn't get the neck relief set properly. Boy was I pissed, after waiting a year. They did send me a replacement guitar that I chose from their stock, H-550.
    But ultimately sold it for the same reasons.

It sure seems they are capable of making some fine guitars, but just not my taste. Especially in their standard neck shape, and asthetic taste of design. Hopefully with their new owners and luthiers they will improve in this area.

User Info Menu

Jads57

Sorry about your experience. I used to try out Eagles, Golden Eagles, and Johnny Smith The Rose guitars at The Classic Axe. The guitars were excellent. Finally, I had the opportunity to buy one of several Super Eagles that Patrick Amato offered me. It is as fine a guitar as I have ever played.

User Info Menu

I keep trying every Heritage guitar in the music stores I see. Mostly Golden Eagles, 575, latest being a Super 400 electric type. The same skinny neck profile and fairly bright acoustic response from the Eagle models. Must be thinner tops and backs as opposed to Gibson's thicker ones.
    I actually prefered an 2008 Eastman 810CE acoustically I sold awhile back , to the all of the Heritages I've tried. And those are based on Bennedetto's design. I will say again there was one Sweet 16 w/floater that sounded rich. But that was it, and it too suffered from overly skinny neck syndrome as well.

I'm not trying to bash Heritage as much as point out what I feel are their weaker points. Same could be said of way too many Gibsons out there. But Gibson seems to have worked out the formula and asthetic that works well.
    Again I'm hoping the new owners will understand the difference between what a makes a guitar great and an average one. It seems Pete Farmer gets it, and hopefully he will over see their production.

User Info Menu

I keep trying every Heritage guitar in the music stores I see. Mostly Golden Eagles, 575, latest being a Super 400 electric type. The same skinny neck profile and fairly bright acoustic response from the Eagle models. Must be thinner tops and backs as opposed to Gibson's thicker ones.
    I actually prefered an 2008 Eastman 810CE acoustically I sold awhile back , to the all of the Heritages I've tried. And those are based on Bennedetto's design. I will say again there was one Sweet 16 w/floater that sounded rich. But that was it, and it too suffered from overly skinny neck syndrome as well.

I'm not trying to bash Heritage as much as point out what I feel are their weaker points. Same could be said of way too many Gibsons out there. But Gibson seems to have worked out the formula and asthetic that works well.
    Again I'm hoping the new owners will understand the difference between what a makes a guitar great and an average one. It seems Pete Farmer gets it, and hopefully he will over see their production.
    Jad57,
    Ive had the same experience as you. Beginning with a 1989 custom Golden Eagle that I ordered new. Most Heritage guitars Ive played were tight and bright- with inconsistent neck carves and cross section variations.

However, recently I picked up a blonde 1996 Heritage Golden Eagle that is extraordinary. In fact, it doesnt sound anything like a Heritage, but more like an early post war L5....its sensitive to the lightest touch and the notes are round and sweet with incredible volume. The neck crossection is consistent along the entire length of the fingerboard and the playability is effortless. The sound is just enormous - with great resonance and sustain.....a real gem. Also, the carved top does not exhibit any of the partial collapse/ sunken tops ive seen on many Golden Eagles, and the bridge base conforms perfectly to the top. This guitar came from a collection and was virtually unplayed. Not sure who was carving and building the Golden Eagles in 1996 , but I know of one other from that year which is also known to be great.

My point...there are some real Heritage gems out there , and Im glad I finally came across one. Im loving this guitar more than some of my fine Gibsons.....its that good !

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

there are many great Golden Eagles and Super Eagles. I've owned some 15 or more of them. I never had 1 that wasn't up to par. Color me lucky?

User Info Menu

A real beauty Mark ! Thanks for sharing the story behind your guitar purchases ....very enlightening. Do enjoy .

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Current (top) and former (bottom) state:
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage Golden Eagle thinline-img_2741x-jpg Heritage Golden Eagle thinline-img_1957-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-12-2021 at 12:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Inspired by these design features:
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage Golden Eagle thinline-l-5cestf-front_01-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 09-13-2021 at 03:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I know that bottom Gibson! Danny W's? Most Elegant Thinlines!

Hey how fat is the neck on your Heritage? 1950's shape say .90" to 1"or more 1960s Say .80" to .90"?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Those upgrades are visually pleasing. I'm digging the black knobs.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gladders
    Those upgrades are visually pleasing. I'm digging the black knobs.
    You saw those are now gold, right?

User Info Menu

I know that bottom Gibson! Danny W's? Most Elegant Thinlines! Hey how fat is the neck on your Heritage? 1950's shape say .90" to 1"or more 1960s Say .80" to .90"? Thanks!
    Nut width is 1.69"
    Neck depth at the 1st fret is .84"
    Neck depth at the 9th fret is 1.013"
    Way more taper than any '50s neck I've played, but it has a really rounded "C" shape. Measuring depth past the 9th fret is pointless because Heritage's neck heel starts its curvature around there. I find the neck very comfortable and playable - it's a winner, despite the dumb oversized heel shape. Smaller at the nut end that what I usually play, but it's just so nice. I'll give it a couple of years to see if I can make it work for me.

It's interesting how making a series of small cosmetic changes has such an effect on the presentation of the instrument.
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage Golden Eagle thinline-heritage-ge-t-f-changes-face-final-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-24-2023 at 02:13 PM.