The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

I'm currently using Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing 13's on my L-7C with Rhythm Chief 1000. Sounds great amplified, but I'm thinking that I'm probably not getting the best from the guitar when played acoustically (which is most of the time).

I have a set of Martin Monels that I haven't tried yet, the main reason being that I hate the finger noise with roundwounds.

As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I think the problem really lies with trying to straddle the 2 worlds - acoustic and electric - with the one instrument. It does always tend to be a compromise of sorts.

Anyway, interested to hear what others find works best with these pickups.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had the same issue with my acoustic archtop with Rhythm chief pub. Eventually I gave up and strung my guitar with either John Pearse nickel or TI bebop 13. that was the best compromise. I must have tried 10 or 15 different sets of Phosphor bronze and similar strings and was never happy.

User Info Menu

I have always found that 80/20 bronze strings are nicely balanced with a DeArmond, and obviously they sound great acoustically. I use several brands - John Pearse, LaBella Criterion (a favorite), or D'Addario. All in 12-52 or 12-53 gauge.

The non-adjustable DeArmonds seem to be work out of the box with bronze strings, as if they were designed for that setup - and perhaps they were.

User Info Menu

I have Martin Tony Rice (.13, Monel) on a Loar LH700 with a FHC. To me, they sound very nice both acoustic and electric. I've had to work a bit on string balance but the results are pretty good. They're round and definitely make finger noise.

this is my first string set ever on the guitar. Next I will try bronze 80/20, and last nickel bronze. At that point, I'll settle on one of the three options and try to decide whether I want 12s or 13s.... Phew!

User Info Menu

I second Roger’s comment. My RC 1000 loves 80/20 bronze. I use Philippe Bosset Soft Brass.

User Info Menu

I’ll add that my FHC is from 1960 and seems to like nickel wound strings. The balance is ok but not great with bronze on my FHC.

User Info Menu

I usually still like TI Swings on acoustic archtops, but I feel like I’ve gotten pretty good results as a compromise by using D’Addario half wound strings. Bronze strings sound harsh to my ear. It wasn’t always so, but it’s really become the case in the last few years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I usually still like TI Swings on acoustic archtops, but I feel like I’ve gotten pretty good results as a compromise by using D’Addario half wound strings. Bronze strings sound harsh to my ear. It wasn’t always so, but it’s really become the case in the last few years.
    Interesting that you say that. I always feel that way when I first put them on, but after a week they always sound great to me, even darker and warmer than nickel strings.

I felt that the monel strings were too harsh for my taste, but maybe I just never let them wear in completely. I must had put on and take off monel strings from my guitars about 5 times now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Interesting that you say that. I always feel that way when I first put them on, but after a week they always sound great to me, even darker and warmer than nickel strings.

I felt that the monel strings were too harsh for my taste, but maybe I just never let them wear in completely. I must had put on and take off monel strings from my guitars about 5 times now.
    I think it may be one of the reasons I’ve really grown to dislike the sound of a flattop acoustic also.

User Info Menu

You could try Rotosound Top Tape - monel flatwounds, but they only come in 12's.

User Info Menu

yes rotosound makes the .12 monel flats!! (monel is a nickel derivative)

any bronze string..whether bronze phosphor or 80/20 is not ideal for use with a magnetic pickup...not enough magnetic interaction between pickup magnets and strings...tho they will be louder acoustically

stick with pure nickel, monel or nickel plated steel for an electric tone

stainless steel and cobalt strings will be even more aggressive..but probably not ideal for vintage style dearmond pup tone

cheers

User Info Menu

All those "zebra" or nickel bronze strings are supposed to get you the best of both worlds aren't they. I'll try them, but I guess that if they were that good at doing what they're supposed to do, there would not be so many discussions of this kind…
    On a side note: is it me noticing it more since I got sucked in, or is there a resurgence in interest concerning the FHC (and DeArmonds generally)?

User Info Menu

as per zebra/white bronze etc

compromise is just that...compromise

but ultimately will not have the acoustic tone of good bronze phos or 80/20...nor the good electric tone of nickel, nps, ss, etc

its just physics...or is it chemistry??... some darn science!! haha

cheers

ps- and yes there has been a resurgence of interest due to cordoba buying guild and dearmond brand names..and reissuing dearmond pups...& that are well regarded as well!!

Last edited by neatomic; 02-07-2018 at 08:40 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

Phillipe Bosset Soft Brass 13-56 on a 51' Gibson Super 300 and 49' Guitar Mike no issues or complaint with any individual strings being louder /quieter/different the pickup is in a basically flat orientation to the strings.

Will

Restrung with the Martin Monel 12's. Sound great acoustically! Very nice amplified with the DeArmond RC1000 too, but the B string is noticeably louder, and the high E a touch too.
    I didn't notice with the Thomastik JS13's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Burrellesque
    Restrung with the Martin Monel 12's. Sound great acoustically! Very nice amplified with the DeArmond RC1000 too, but the B string is noticeably louder, and the high E a touch too.
    I didn't notice with the Thomastik JS13's.

What year is your Guitar Mike? Someone pointed out in another thread that there may have been different winding practices at different points in history.

User Info Menu

With my '53 Mike and .13 monels I had a LOUD B string and a weak E. My fix was to slant the pickup and it works well enough (yes, G-low E will be a bit quieter). But now you say your high E is already too loud so maybe not a good idea...

I believe my Dearmond is around 1950. It has the earlier 'ice cube' control knobs. Not sure if there is a code number to give a more accurate date?

It is mainly the B string that is louder. Some of it has to do with the difference in timbre between plain and wound strings too I think.

User Info Menu

Excuse the rookie question. The "B" in FHC-B stands for "balanced". Balanced for bronze? Or for nickel? I guess what would mean the FHC (no-B) is not balanced?

User Info Menu

Another rookie question - who is the "Mike " in Guitar Mike in the and I'm guessin pre FHC version?

For what it is worth I think mine is a 1949 because it has a 49 stamped in the little tab.

Will

User Info Menu

I believe my Dearmond is around 1950. It has the earlier 'ice cube' control knobs. Not sure if there is a code number to give a more accurate date?

It is mainly the B string that is louder. Some of it has to do with the difference in timbre between plain and wound strings too I think.
    It's like mine (a '53). As others noted, the year of production is often stamped on the little metal tab if you want to be sure.

You might want to try to slant the pickup – after all, it's almost for free and it does not damage. I see you've been around my thread here: DeArmond FHC: string balance and amp choice

I just posted pics of how much my FHC is raised on the treble side. The improvement has been huge. It's not the end of trial and error for me, but if I were not an incurable tinkerer I might just as well leave good enough alone…

PS: doh… I just noticed you posted saying that you already do that

I'm not slanting with the Monel strings. If anything that would make the B and E louder.... right?

Still enjoying the Martin Monels, but I'm not sure ultimately that I can live with the string squeak of roundwounds. Really bothers me.

User Info Menu

I'm not slanting with the Monel strings. If anything that would make the B and E louder.... right?

Still enjoying the Martin Monels, but I'm not sure ultimately that I can live with the string squeak of roundwounds. Really bothers me.
    It will make the E definitely louder, the B not that much. For me, the end result was: well-balanced E and B, slightly quieter wound strings. This eliminated a massive imbalance between the high E and the B, which was a real PITA.

PS: what about half rounds? You might try that and still have a decent acoustic sound perhaps…

I could try the half rounds I guess. It does seem like another step into compromise though - less noise than rounds, but still some, more acoustic tone than flats, but not as much as rounds .

User Info Menu

Small update, hopefully not too late. What amp you're using is – as Jonathan Stout suggested elsewhere – very much critical in matters of string balance. Here's my story: https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-amps-gizmos/65493-dearmond-fhc-string-balance-amp-choice.html
    Last edited by radiofm74; 03-30-2018 at 09:05 AM.