The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30
    I'm using a clone of a 5C3 Fender Deluxe. Octal preamp tubes. In a larger cabinet.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Burrellesque
    I'm using a clone of a 5C3 Fender Deluxe. Octal preamp tubes. In a larger cabinet.
    I am guessing that string balance comes from compression, which comes from running the tube(s) hot. With a small tweed it's easier to be up on the dial and thus get that effect. Just a hypothesis, but I think it makes some kind of sense…

User Info Menu

Reviving this old thread after just purchasing an L-7 and installing a Dearmond Guitar Mike pickup.
    I put on a set of John Pearse Acoustic/Electrics which seem good so far. Afterall, the labeling has a picture of a guitar with the very same pickup!

Anyone else have any new sets they have been experimenting with recently?

User Info Menu

I've used Martin Retro monel, D'Addario Pure Nickel, and D'Addario steel nickel-plated. The latter is what I've been using for awhile. I like the sound and the price. However, I have a Rhythm Chief 1100 with adjustable polepieces. That makes a difference.

User Info Menu

My reissue RC1100 sounds great on my L-7 with D’Addario EJ21 strings.

I’m tempted to try Martin Retro Monel strings since that’s closer to the strings of the late 1930’s. But I’m hesitant because I’d probably need to adjust the pole pieces. I’ve seen one video reporting that that adjusting pole pieces on the reissues sometimes breaks the windings. Of course, the FHC has no adjustable pole pieces.