The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    Hi

I know Swedish guitarist Ulf Wakenius uses/used one during a long time. When he performed with Pat Metheny at JazzBaltica 2003 in Germany the L5 was there. There are some videos at Youtube from this event where you’ll notice Wakenius amp in the background.
    Ulf also played a $100 Les Paul copy forever, so maybe he isn’t into gear that much.

Having said that, I have a Lab Series L3 (60 watt, single channel with reverb) and it’s a very nice amp with lots of power, warm tone and not too heavy.
    Keith

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have several amps. I mainly play small Fender and Polytone amps.

However, my big amp for jazz is a Lab Series L5 that I put a single JBL D130 15" speaker into.

The L5 came with two great CTS 12" 16 ohm speakers for a 8 ohm load. So, an 8 ohm JBL D130 works great.

Awesome amp for jazz and as loud as you ever need.

User Info Menu

I have one of these that I am trying to off-load.. I am the original owner from the mid-70's or so..bought at Sam Ash on Long Island..

If anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area is interested, pls contact me at drtrout@yahoo.com

Thanks

ScottWhat Do You Know About Lab Series L5 Amps-2014-10-26-15-31-41-jpg

User Info Menu

A lot of Country guitarists love these amps because of the Compressor/Limiter built in it. I rmember the combos being quite heavy in weight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    A lot of Country guitarists love these amps because of the Compressor/Limiter built in it. I rmember the combos being quite heavy in weight.
    The music store I used to work at carried these. Great, if heavy, amp.

I have a cousin who is a country player. He has five of them. Next time he visits I'm going to try to talk him out of one.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 09-01-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: cApitAliZatIon

User Info Menu

Tried plugging my in again.. 100W squeal that shook the windows and was unaffected by any amp settings. Pets still haven't forgiven me. It's now in the local landfill waiting for some future archaeologist to sort out. Pity.

User Info Menu

Spook400,

Hope you pulled the CTS speakers first!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Spook400,

Hope you pulled the CTS speakers first!
    If only I had known you wanted them...

User Info Menu

I'm good. You could sell them though. Good jazz speakers.

User Info Menu

I have a BB King owned Lab Series L5 that I purchased at auction. Still has the settings Mr. King had set up. As far as I can tell, the amp is stock, with the exception of a pair of 12" Peavey Black Widow Spiders, which were also installed while Mr. King owned it (these amps are somewhat notorious for blowing speakers).

Mr. Used to use Fender Twins, dimed out. However, once the Lab Series came along, he switched to them, and stated that everytime he saw one, he'd buy it, as they were not easy to find. These amps were high end amps, and not for the faint of wallet. An L5 in those days cost approx. $2500.00 in today's dollars.

A great, roadworthy, versatile amp. In my opinion, probably one of the best, if not the best, solid state amps.

User Info Menu

Doghead,

I agree. I love my Lab Series L5 amp...even if mine was not owned by the legend, B.B. King.

User Info Menu

For anyone looking, this absolute beast is available up here north of the border;

Lab Series L11 Head w/ 313A Cab - Spaceman Music

User Info Menu

That's an awesome amp built by Moog.

User Info Menu

Well, BB certainly sounded good with one. My experience with solid state amps of that era is that they are prone to reliability problems. I can't comment specifially on the L-5, but if you want one, go for it.

Personally, I like old guitars and new amps. But that's beacuse I play gigs and need to have absolute confidence that the amp will make it through the night. Some of the best amps ever are being made today.

User Info Menu

The l3 was my first decent amp. Bought it when i was 14, so thats 26 years ago. That amp has seen some serious abuse. When i played in a metal band some years later and had a sovtek mig 100 in a peavey 4x12 we used the l3 for vocals during rehearsals. Everything on 10 except the reverb and someone screaming through it for hours.
    Used it with my es-175 again couple of days ago and it sounds great.

User Info Menu

Country great Ray Flacke used to use Labs. What Do You Know About Lab Series L5 Amps-ray-flacke-country-telecaster-virtuosity-square-600x446-jpg

User Info Menu

I owned, and enjoyed, a 1979 Lab series L-5 for many years.
    The Lab Series L-5 is an excellent amp. However, size does matter.
    I traded it for a Schertler David last month.

User Info Menu

My Lab Series L5 amp is still going strong. It sounds fantastic. It is Twin Reverb sized and heavy, though. It _rarely_ leaves the house. I'm just too lazy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    Weren’t these actually made by Robert Moog in collaboration with Gibson?
    Yes. AND, Dan Pearce was part of the engineering team, then went on to start Pearce Engineering (Pearce amps).