The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vashondan
    I ended up getting the AS153. I'm loving it and its taking some getting used to after only playing Teles for a long time. I'm almost there. I'm confused about the pickup difference between the 153 and the 93 based on something I read in this thread. The 93 has the Super 58's while the 153 has the Super 58 Custom. I read earlier that the Customs are the lesser quality of the two but in a more expensive instrument. Are they lesser quality pickups? I have no complaints but am curious.
    Re the pickups, I think it's down to specs changing on models from year to year - for a while the higher Chinese made models, up to and including the 153 had S58 Custom pickups - supposedly a less posh pickup than the S58, but with similar qualities. Looking at the current specs for the 153 and other models this year, they just say S58 on the website, no mention of the S58C. Does it matter? I suppose slightly, but really as long as it sounds good. I doubt that the current "S58" pickups being fitted are actually the same as the much-lauded original S58's (which I assume were Japanese made). But really just a name with some marketing value - only my opinion!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Regards to the pickups, Ibanez has upgraded the newer AS73s with Classic Elite pups. The older AS73s had the ACHs, which were not very good, but could be tweaked with amp settings and maybe some pedals to sound decent. But clean, not so good. the "newer" AS93 has the Chinese made Super 58 Custom pups. Such a huge improvement over the ACH, and still better and cleaner, crisper than the Classic Elites. I have three Ibanez' now: The AF155, LGB30 (both with Custom 58s) and an AK75D Goldtop, which had stock ACHs and I swapped them out for SD Jazz (Neck) and DiMarzio 36th Annv (Bridge). Wow, what a difference! Night and day - no kidding! I got the guitar for $300 on Reverb (after weeks of nice and respectful haggling). Love that guitar. Well, now I am awaiting my AS73 Olive Metallic which I ordered. I was struck by the color and saw one at Sam Ash. I compared it to the AS93 which they also had and I could hear the difference in the pickups, the 58 customs were definitely nicer. The "feel" of the neck and the body are identical. However, specs say that the 93 has a three-piece neck (no 3 piece for the 73) and fret treatment (no such treatment for the 73). The nuts are the same and most of the hardware is the same. You can read exactly what parts both guitars have on the Ibanez.com website, under Support - Parts. Easy to look up and compare. At any rate, I just ordered a set of Made in Japan Super 58s (through Sweetwater via Ibanez) to be installed in my LGB30. I will install the Custom 58s from the LGB30 into my AS73 (and most likely sell the Classic Elites online). I don't know how much better the MIJ 58s will sound, but it's something I've wanted to do for a while. I don't want to drop 4 grand on a new MIJ George Benson, or even $2500 on a used one. I bought my LGB30 through Reverb for just under $600. I got a good deal as it was like brand new - not a scratch. I also managed to get a 15% discount on the MIJ 58s through Sweetwater, saving me another $60. I plan on making a YouTube vid of the difference in sounds between all my Ibbys: LGB30 w/ MIJ 58s, AF155, AS73 upgraded to Custom (Chinese) 58s, and of course, my golden but frugal jazz box, the AK75D Goldtop, with the aforementioned pup set. Stay tuned! By the way, Ibanez reps are very helpful and have always returned emails within one day. I've managed to weed out some fake MIJ 58s when I send them pics I find on for-sale sites online. Too many are selling Chinese and Korean 58s as Japanese. Okay, off to play some cool riffs!

User Info Menu

I worked at Ibanez so it was not an issue for me to pick up these guitars on "buying day". I've got a 73, 83, 93, had a 103 and it was stolen. All these are really great players.
    I will say they are made in different factories depending on the model. The 93, while having a similar spec as the 73, has difference in materials and workmanship that do reflect different points of manufacture. I had the 73 as a workhorse guitar for many years, with a Duncan in the neck PU. The 93, also underwent a PU change (I just like a very specific sound and it was well worth it for me) and THAT is a sweet guitar now. The difference I feel in the neck, it feels warmer having a maple/hog laminate combo. The warmth of mahogany and the stability of the maple. That alone, makes the distinction in the choice for me: the 93 is warm, rings and I feel a trust in its stability and longevity.
    Both are great instruments, and the 73 is a bargain for sure. I'll wind up selling it because people who pick that one up always ask me if I'll sell it to them. The 93, probably I'll give that away to a special player at some time; that's a special instrument now.
    My two cent opinion.

David

User Info Menu

I recently did a comparison of my AMV10 with Classic Elite PU's to a 2015 AS93 from Guitar Center. The sound was essentially the same. The AS93 were advertised to have Super 58's. They have used the name, but they are not the Super 58's that are on the higher end Ibby's. I took back the AS93 and got a 2007 AS153 with Custom 58's. The AS153 blew me away. Significantly better PU's.

The AS93 is a really nice guitar. Very high quality build and a really nice, playable neck. It is much nicer than my AMV10, although I like the fat neck on the AMV10. I have played AS73's and they are nice as well. I personally like the AS93 a lot more. FYI the one I played is still at GC in Pittsburgh (used). I can testify that it is top notch. A steal at the price. However, the PU's are good but nothing special.

I liked the AS153 a lot, but it had some condition issues. I ordered a new JSM10 today.

User Info Menu

I just bought a 2016 AS93 (re-bought actually. A long story involving GAS.) last week. I also own a 2016 AMV10 and a 2017 JSM10. The AS93 has the same pickups as the AMV10, which are Classic Elites. Both sound fine, but the JSM10 sounds much better. I had a 2007 AS153 for a few weeks and it also had clearly better pickups. I played an AS73 and liked it. I probably need one of those as well.

I tried to attach a photo, but not sure if it worked.
    Attached Images Attached Images Is the Ibanez AS93 a good start in semi hollow body guitars?-ibbys-jpg 

User Info Menu

FYI.

You indicated that the AS93 has the same pickups as the AVM10's which is not the case. Your AVM has Classic Elite PU's, and the AS93 comes with Super 58's.

I agree with many of the posts here that suggest the Ibanez are great players with fantastic necks. Of the guitars I own including Ibanez AG95 and AM93, USA Strat and Gibson Les Paul Standard. The Am93 and the AS93 are my favorites based feel and play-ability

User Info Menu

Nestoguitar,

My comment was based on the fact that the sound of the pickups seems to be exactly the same for the AS93 and AMV10. I really can't tell the difference. The AS153 that I had and the JSM10 that I have now clearly have a much richer sound, and are advertised as having Super 58's.

I looked up the part numbers for the AMV10 and AS93 and they are different. Also, the description of the pickups for the AS93 does say "Super 58". So I stand corrected. This said, the JSM10 is also advertised as "Super 58", but has a different part number and also a very different sound. I think Ibanez is using the name loosely.

Knuckles

User Info Menu

I certainly agree that the 93 is solid and fine. I modified it (p/u and pickguard) and it works fine for me for solo jazz guitar. Ron, Connecticut

User Info Menu

My first (semi) hollow body was a brand new AM 93 from Sweetwater. It was a beauty to see, but I was never satisfied with the tone, tried zillion of strings, picks and amp settings, both with modellers, both with DV Mark little Jazz.

Btw it had Super 58 PUs

Strings high E and B remain plinky even with 0.12 or 0.13 sets. For semi hollow I love Epi Dot, for full body Epi Joe Pass. Those guitars are at least one step higher league compared to the similar priced Ibanez. (Imho) If you have more budget, the next step could be an Eastman

User Info Menu

Ah, two years later...No more Ibanez. Sold it not long after buying it. Had changed the neck pickup (can't remember to what) but was never really satisfied with it. Really bummed looking back that I had to sell the Lil Dawg Champ and 5e3. Oh well. What will the next two years bring?