The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 120

User Info Menu

I'm wondering why Seventy Seven guitars are rarely mentioned on this board?

Anyone own or have experience with the exrubato standard model (335 model)? These are selling for approx $1600 in the US.. The reviews and sound clips are very nice.

Seventy Seven Guitars-seventy-seven-exrubato-standard-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I've played the Exrubato Hollow. A great guitar, very resonant. Very well built.
    I am convinced that the Exrubato Standard is a great option for a 335 type guitar.

User Info Menu

I think mostly because there haven't been a lot of them sold in the US and the prices, while probably appropriate, don't put them int the "bargain" category. I've heard only great things about them but I suspect they're going to have to get a lot more American exposure before they get taken seriously enough to overcome the natural skepticism and price resistance.

User Info Menu

I think a lot of people have a mental block when the fourth digit appears with regards to a laminate Asian/Japanese guitar. $999 is OK, $1000 is too much. Especially since Ibanez kind of set the bar so high with the AS103 for $899 new. $1600 is too much even if it is lacquer finished.

User Info Menu

That's probably true but lumping Japanese made goods with Chinese made goods as a single category is absolutely not rational.

User Info Menu

I know it's not rational but that is what a lot of people feel. I know that Japanese guitar factory workers are paid better than their counterparts in the US and Canada and I believe their quality is better. But in people's gut, there is still that stigma from back in the 70s when the Japanese stuff was just getting off the ground.

User Info Menu

I have a Seventy Seven "Albatross Jazz" but would also love to try the "Exrubato. (How do they come up with those names?)

It was $1600 well spent. The materials and workmanship are just immaculate. Playability and tone are up there with the best. Mine has the best fretwork I've ever seen on a new guitar.

We're lucky to have so many good guitars available for under $1000. The Seventy Seven costs more but, quality-wise, it has more in common with my Sadowsky than with those cheaper imports.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    I know it's not rational but that is what a lot of people feel. I know that Japanese guitar factory workers are paid better than their counterparts in the US and Canada and I believe their quality is better. But in people's gut, there is still that stigma from back in the 70s when the Japanese stuff was just getting off the ground.
    People seem to get past it eventually once they get to put their hands on things. I remember the initial resistance to the first generation of Lexus, Infiniti and Acura. No one seems to mind now. The same is true of Japanese made Gretsch guitars. They're way better than anything Gretsch ever built in the US and eventually, once people realized through first hand experience that that was true, a lot of the resistance disappeared.

User Info Menu

Looks alright, but you could get a comparable guitar in that same style for a quarter the price, though.

What can you buy for $400 that would compare?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Broyale
    Looks alright, but you could get a comparable guitar in that same style for a quarter the price, though.
    Given that you seem to never handled one, how can you possibly know this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Given that you seem to never handled one, how can you possibly know this?
    A better question would be, what does this guitar do at that distinguish it from another 33- style guitar that costs half to a quarter the price? Being as I've never handled one, I'd like to know.

User Info Menu

What distinguishes any guitar from any other guitar? The level of craftsmanship, the quality of the components, the quality of the wood, the added design details, the quality of the finishing, the quality of the fret work, the accuracy of the setup. If all that is equal, then the price difference is not justified. If all that is not equal, then perhaps it is. But to just assume that there is no difference based on nothing but the basic design style with no first hand knowledge is just to say that a guitar is a guitar and the rest doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 06-02-2013 at 12:41 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm very late to this discussion, but the woodwork is also all done by hand. I think that definitely adds to the value of the instrument.

I bought a used one a while back and it's really nice.

User Info Menu

Try finding a knockoff lawsuit Ibanez L5 in the states under $2k today. There's value in those former japan built archtops. One has to live in the present and the Aria an D'A archtops being built today are high quality. Sooner or later one has to get over the past. I remember .29 a gallon gas but that doesn't effect the price I pay at today's pump.

User Info Menu

Is there a dealer in Europe for these guitars?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Anika
    Is there a dealer in Europe for these guitars?
    I do not think so.

I have never played these guitars but its obvious that they will be stinkingly good.
    Diviser/headway are the parent company, think Bacchus, Headway, Momoose.
    All guitars and manufacturers (divisions of) that would knock spots of the American counterparts (for the price).

Another great thing is, the Japanese can evolve, where as Gibson etc can't. They're still stuck making es335 copies from the 60's because thats what that market wants. They tried something new with the Midtown and look how that turned out lol.
    A sound test put them no better than a $500 Ibanez Chinese art core.

The only issue for them is that they are a bit pricey. Not for what they are of course because like I said, compared to their American counterparts, they are exceptional value. It's just the market is the way it is. Until some big names start using them, people can actually play them (which is I think one of the other big problems) and the price is more inviting, or they start to come up second hand more often, at the prices the market expects, they will be in the position they are.

I am dying for one to com up second hand, because i know how good they will be. But i'm not prepared to pay over £1,000 for one, considering it will cost me almost £2,000 new and I won't be able to sell it for love note money.

I also think the styling on some of their models is a little off, especially the Albatross.

Anyway enjoy this clip. He's a wonderful player and he makes the guitar sound like a god damn all solid hand carved full body archtop (ok I'm exaggerating a bit). So I'm waiting for a second hand one (Patiently) lol

Last edited by GoergeBenson; 02-28-2014 at 12:22 PM.

User Info Menu

There have been several used ones on Ebay lately for under 1000, which is a great value for guitars this good. (I own two)
    I read that their factory burned down in late 2012 and that's why there weren't any Japanese models available for a while. But they now are making them in another Japanese factory and there are a couple of interesting new models available. I really like mine.

User Info Menu

Just wondering if someone could tell me more about this guitar company? Guitars made in Japan and hand custom made? Also their jazz models.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

?Well they're pretty doggone nice, high end MIJ instruments. JZUCKER will be the guy with the most experience and willingness to share his thoughts on them...

User Info Menu

I just wish it was easier to contact them for more info.

User Info Menu

Contact Eiichi Yamamoto at Eiichi Yamamoto | Facebook or at eastmongo@gmail.com . He's the USA importer for these and is a super nice guy. In the meantime, feel free to email me jackzucker@gmail.com with questions as I've owned 5 or 6 of them as well as a couple bacchus basses.

In a nutshell, there instruments are on par with the high end $4k ibanez guitars and a step higher in quality than any domestic USA factory guitars I've played such as gibson/guild/heritage.

They have a lot of options and the model names and numbers can be a tad confusing. They also rigidly adhere to a fat neck principal as their belief is that the fatter neck resists warpage and makes for better tone. I concur but as I have small hands, I wish they'd make a slimmer neck.

I have an albatross and a couple hawks though one of the hawks is on loan.

User Info Menu

I have owned 3: A "Hawk" custom and 2 "Albatrosses", (one with p-90s and one jazz model).

In tone, playability, workmanship and materials, they're as nice as any guitars I've played. If you buy new, you may take a hit on resale because they're not a well known brand. But you may never want to sell.

The 77 pickups are great. I wish they were available seperately, I'd try them in some of my other guitars. The necks all have the same hefty profile, but it's not too huge.

My Albatross Jazz is is a small (Les Paul size) semi-hollow and is one of the best sounding and versitile guitars I've encountered. I've used it for Jazz, funk, rock ,and country gigs and it's been great. Very warm sounding with the neck pickup, but very clear.

User Info Menu

Yes, the pickups are amazing. Whatever they have done captures the essence of a '60s gibson pickup with all the right amount of highs and lows and the middle position of my 2 pickup seventy seven guitars sounds amazing for jazz, funk or fusion.