The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 120

User Info Menu

Great guitars, beautiful and very well made, I love my Exrubato Custom. The neck plays like a dream (to me).

Their four different models are not so confusing: Albatross, Stork (Les Paul), Exrubato (ES-335 model) and Hawk (ES-175), each in a Standard, Jazz and Custom Version. Besides Facebook you can also google Deviser (the company) and Seventy Seven guitars to get to their website.

I think anything else regarding user experiences can be found in this forum. Also, they are only on order, you cannot trial them in the local shop. So to get one requires a little courage...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Seventy Seven guitars are made in small numbers, not mass produced so theres not a big stash sitting in a warehouse in Japan somewhere . In the 7 years that Ive been a Seventy Seven dealer there have been only a handfull of times where I could order more than two or three at a time to have hanging on the wall at the brick and mortar. Truth is, most players thought the guitars were some of the best made ,sounding and playing they had ever played. However most but not all would purchase a lesser quality big name guitar for usually more money then return for pickup swaps, tuner swaps etc, never had a Seventy Seven buyer return for any reason except to purchase another,usually it would have to be a custom order as the model,finish pickup choice was never in stock. If youre looking for a quality made guitar with a full size neck at a decent price, check them out ! Usually 4 to 5 months is a decent estimate for a custom build. As mentioned you can contact Eiichi, or I can help , feel free to contact either of us. Bob SeventySevenトップページ | 株式会社ディバイザー

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevus
    Great guitars, beautiful and very well made, I love my Exrubato Custom. The neck plays like a dream (to me).

Their four different models are not so confusing: Albatross, Stork (Les Paul), Exrubato (ES-335 model) and Hawk (ES-175), each in a Standard, Jazz and Custom Version. Besides Facebook you can also google Deviser (the company) and Seventy Seven guitars to get to their website.

I think anything else regarding user experiences can be found in this forum. Also, they are only on order, you cannot trial them in the local shop. So to get one requires a little courage...
    It seemed like there was a "Fat Hawk" offered and the normal "Hawk" which was thin/thinner bodied. Am I understanding this wrong? Also, do they make any with Venetian cutaways?

User Info Menu

I've seen them also refer to a Hawk Jazz Deep for the full thickness body. The thin body is what I'm interesting in, my own body has thick covered too well.

User Info Menu

Anything with Jazz in the title has a laminated Spruce top, Ebony fretboard and 5-piece laminated maple/walnut neck.

User Info Menu

My "Albatross Jazz' model has a solid spruce top and a one-piece mahogany neck...

User Info Menu

The Albatross Jazz and the Stork Jazz have solid spruce tops, the Hawk Jazz series are lam. Last word from the factory on thin body Jazz Hawks being available is when the current build finishes some time around April. That is assuming they arent all spoken for by then. Bob

User Info Menu

Could someone please tell me the width of the lower bout on the Exrubato. There does not seem to be anything I can find on the web, but I'm guessing from photos & video clips it is the same as a Gibson 335?

Love the quality of 77 Guitars but I find the 335 size a bit uncomfortable, if it was around 15" it would be perfect for me.

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

I know what I am looking for. Smaller bout, 14-15", hollowbody, fat neck (this is a selling point for me) and premium tone woods. Used prefered.

User Info Menu

So is it fair to say that due to the quality of the 77's that CME will not be doing a "blowout sale" on them?

User Info Menu

Those Archtop Tribute guitars are very good guitars, some have large necks that are even bigger than the Seventy Sevens. I had my AT 350 for sale here on the forum last fall because the neck was a real baseball bat. It sounded exceptional with the P90! Bob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I know what I am looking for. Smaller bout, 14-15", hollowbody, fat neck (this is a selling point for me) and premium tone woods. Used prefered.
    The Albatross Jazz fits the bill. It is a "flat" top with no recurves. It is about 14" across the lower bout, if memory serves. The Exrubato Jazz is 16" across its lower bout as is the Hawk Jazz.

The Sadowsky SS-15 or one of the Westville models should be on your radar, too.

(The Japanese makers use African Mahogany in their highend MiJ guitars. When Honduran Mahogany is used it is stated specifically coupled with a pricing upcharge. African Mahogany is a premium wood with a straight long grain that puts some of Gibson's whorly mess of Fijian-grown Honduran to shame. There is really nothing in Honduran Mahogany that makes it special except that it is associated with Gibson guitars. And even then, folklore has it that lading bills from the 50s showed shipments of African Mahogany delivered to Gibson and it is suspected that some of the highly vaunted Les Pauls from that era were made of African Mahogany. Let your ears be the judge of African Mahogany. I like the wood very much.)
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-21-2018 at 11:54 PM.

User Info Menu

i wonder how these compare to terada and fujigen built guitars, like my pile of elitist epiphones and gretsches. always been kinda curious about the 77s in a "i hope they don't hold their value and i can shamelessly poach one" but that doesn't seem to be the case. as ever, i'm slightly down on the plainer ones with the dot inlays. i'd like a little more effort at those prices. quite lovely otherwise. the spruce and koa ones are interesting, indeed.

since they are essentially made to order, to they take requests? can you spec different dimensions, finishes, inlays, scale length, etc, or is there a menu with a few options to pick from?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Sounds like you'd like the albatross though it's a hair under 13"

User Info Menu

The Albatross is an interesting guitar. Mine was the P90 model. (Did I get it from Gilpy???) Beautiful red finish, just right, on the large size neck feel. I sold it to go deeper into the archtop thing, and have regretted it ever since. A very well made instrument, sounded fine too.
    MD

User Info Menu

Seventy Seven guitars can be custom
    ordered with different pickups, finishes , inlays and other specs. You just need to contact Eiichi or myself with your specs. and we will get a build time /price quote. Bob

User Info Menu

Do they sell any stock models with a single pickup? This is the only one I could find on the website:

STORK-JAZZ/SUGIMOTO ATSUHIKO | 株式会社ディバイザー

User Info Menu

Just about any model can be ordered with a single pickup. There are the odd single pickup versions in stock at times, I believe there is one Deep body Jazz Hawk with a single pickup available as of two weeks ago. Bob

User Info Menu

Anyone know if there's a 330 style Seventy Seven?

User Info Menu

They used to make an Exrubato hollow that was similar to an ES-330.

This is my custom 77 based on their Robin model (no longer produced) - fully hollow hog (except under bridge), 24.75 scale, lollar CC. I keep coming back to this one with my Evans SS ... dream combo.

Seventy Seven Guitars-p1040455c-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup
    Anyone know if there's a 330 style Seventy Seven?
    I guess the Exrubato Jazz, which is fully hollow, comes close. People who know these guitars prefer them above Archtop Tribute.

User Info Menu

330 look-alike? That would be the Exrubato model I think

EXRUBATO-CUSTOM | 株式会社ディバイザー

User Info Menu

Hmm, I think that’s the 335 copy with centre block. Not hollow à la the 330......

EDIT: the Exrubato Jazx is hollow, but with a 19th fret neck joint, not 16th fret. So it’s more like an ES-330L.

User Info Menu

There are some really good deals coming out of Japan on the Seventy Seven gits, but with rosewood import restrictions upon us it's a risky deal as the sellers do not make any claims to offer proper paperwork on their end.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice guys.

The Archtop Tributes do look great. Actually I bought an Epiphone Elitist Byrdland from their Walkin' outlet a while back - a pleasure to deal with them.

A Japanese brand that hasn't got a lot of attention here is Edwards. I got a 175 clone, but with solid top and back. An excellent piece of engineering for under 1000 USD (list about 2k I think but no longer made).

I'll be in Japan next month so I can have a good look around.