Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 101 to 113 of 113

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Once again, I encourage you to indulge in the Tolkien-esque fantasy of a band that actually plays to the level of the rhythm guitar. The Baisie band, apparently, did this.
    Unlike the Sauron-Ra Orcestra, who did not.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    Unlike the Sauron-Ra Orcestra, who did not.
    Notorious for their slightly menacing hit number, 'The Night has a single Eye'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban View Post
    you can see the sizes of speakers and fitting, a C Rex would be good in many amps,

I'm very happy because I can't hear any difference between the two speakers...

User Info Menu

I guess the Katana 100 trumps the Blues Cube 30 and the DV Mark Jazz ?

User Info Menu

For some people, yes. For others, no. It's mostly a subjective decision.

User Info Menu

I bought the Katana 50, but swapped it for the single speaker 100 with its' heavier speaker magnet that I feel gives better bottom and fullness. I also found the factory default voicings too bright, but have easily tailored what I feel are several ideal jazz tones using the BOSS Tone Studio software. No need to accept the factory settings if you find them too bright. The configuration parameters are very broad and deep on this amp and I am still absolutely thrilled with mine. I'm convinced that you can find any sound you want if you take the time to learn the software interface. I haven't plugged my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe in since I brought my Katana home 1.5 years ago. It can do any clean sound the Fender can, and more.

As to loudness - 100 watts is WAY more than I can stand - it can and will cause permanent ear damage if cranked up too far. It is much louder than my Fender Hot Rod (which is rated at 40 watts).

As a reference, I am a professional cellist, so my concept of tone may be a bit different from many full time guitarists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fencible View Post
    I bought the Katana 50, but swapped it for the single speaker 100 with its' heavier speaker magnet that I feel gives better bottom and fullness. I also found the factory default voicings too bright, but have easily tailored what I feel are several ideal jazz tones using the BOSS Tone Studio software. No need to accept the factory settings if you find them too bright. The configuration parameters are very broad and deep on this amp and I am still absolutely thrilled with mine. I'm convinced that you can find any sound you want if you take the time to learn the software interface. I haven't plugged my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe in since I brought my Katana home 1.5 years ago. It can do any clean sound the Fender can, and more.

As to loudness - 100 watts is WAY more than I can stand - it can and will cause permanent ear damage if cranked up too far. It is much louder than my Fender Hot Rod (which is rated at 40 watts).

As a reference, I am a professional cellist, so my concept of tone may be a bit different from many full time guitarists.
    You may, in fact, have an actual concept of tone, not necessarily a plus in guitar world.

way too bright even with the treble on zero. Switched to quilter and dv mark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    way too bright even with the treble on zero. Switched to quilter and dv mark
    I have the Katana 100w head with 2x12 cab, and the Blues Cube 80. I tried out the DV Mark 1x12 at GC, but didn't buy it.

In my opinion, the Katana is a GREAT amp, but it doesn't have the crystal-clean Jazz tone that the Blues cube and DV Mark have.

I had a difficult time choosing between the Blues Cube and the DV Mark. Both were SO GOOD with my Gibson Tal Farlow, but they were different sounding--and in the end, I just preferred the Blues cube.

Pretty sure I would have been very happy with the DV Mark.
    Last edited by dickbanks; 06-25-2019 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Having good luck with the Katana 100 watt head and 1x12" closed back Egnater cab loaded with a Celestion Neo 12"300 watt 8 ohms.
    Only wish it had a on board tuner built in.

Pretty hard to beat at around $300

User Info Menu

I have the 50. Plenty loud for (drummer-less) gigging in small clubs and restaurants (my bread and butter). I have spent some time working with the software and the "sneaky amps" patches but eventually reset the amp to stock settings and worked to get a tone I like just by using the parameters on the amp itself.

In short, I think it is a fantastic, no fuss, amp.

I do roll up the bass to 1 or 2 pm, mids down to 10 or 11 am, and the treble to 10 or 11 am (all dependent on the guitar I am playing and the room). I run the gain between 10 and 11. Master volume all the way up and guitar volume between 3 and 6. The other volume is adjusted according to circumstance.

I also play gypsy jazz and use the acoustic setting on the amp with a 57 mic. I run it flat (eq) and my acoustic sound is very natural and devoid of any annoying digital sizzle. With the mic there is none of the annoying piezo snap, spank and sizzle.

Both musicians and audience members have approached me to say they are impressed by the sound. Even my wife likes it and comments on the tone. Rare kudos indeed.

I tried the Katana Artist and thought it sounds somewhat better than my 50. That is no surprise really. A Twin Reverb with two JBLs sounds even better than the Artist but I am not lugging a Twin around nor am I interested in hauling and Artist up and down stairs for small jazz and gypsy jazz gigs.

User Info Menu

I like a 57 for gypsy jazz. Interesting to hear of someone using that set up.

User Info Menu

Two and a half years on with the Katana 100watt 1x12. I get amp GAS reading this forum but... it’s good enough for me. Haven’t used the software in over a year. There are probably new firmware updates but it works fine as is. I have one preset for the 175 and another for the Strat. There are 6 more slots available but unused.