The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 143

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Also, I've seen screen shots showing the actual Boss stomp boxes but have not been able to find that either.
    That’s likely Gumtown’s third-party (and free) editing software. Opens up all the hidden amps and effects, and pretty useful, but perhaps not the most user-friendly if you’re not geeky. In the earlier firmware, the parametric EQ was available in Tone Studio in the FX slot and/or (I believe) in the booster slot. In version 2 firmware, the EQ is still in those locations, but boss has added a separate EQ section for each patch as well as a global EQ for the entire amp. This is all gravy, not totally necessary to dive if you are happy with the base sounds.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If there was a lighter 10” speaker version or a lighter 50w head I’d be in there like a rat up a drainpipe.

As it is, I’m hanging fire.... not so much lighter than by PRRI

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    If there was a lighter 10” speaker version or a lighter 50w head I’d be in there like a rat up a drainpipe.

As it is, I’m hanging fire.... not so much lighter than by PRRI
    The 100 watt head is 15 lbs. and has a built-in 5” speaker for practice. Does that fit the bill?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    The 100 watt head is 15 lbs. and has a built-in 5” speaker for practice. Does that fit the bill?
    Maybe. I'd have to heft it.... I've got a little 10" cab which is pretty light. If I think I could take the head in a backpack say, it's a winner, but I think it's a little big...

So it's a toss up between this and the DVMark Micro 50, or maybe some other micro head such as the Vox MV50. The lack of speaker emulation in the latter is a drag though.

Are you sure its only 15lbs?

User Info Menu

Not jazzy per say, but was able to cop some Michael Landau goodness out of it.

Landau Demo.m4a - Google Drive

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've seen screen shots of the software showing the actual Boss pedals and their hook up order, etc. and I assume you can adjust them from there but I can't find it in my software. Is that something that only the 100 has? My 50 has some graph looking things connected to some knobs and it's all blue. I'd much rather see the real pedals. Am I missing something?

User Info Menu

For a small, light head that sounds pretty good, the Gallien-Krueger MB200 is hard to beat. It's sold as a bass head, but it works very well for guitar as well. Not a huge panoply of features, but it does have aux in and headphone/speaker out in addition to the Speakon jack. IMO Speakon is the only way to go for speaker out, the 1/4" method is a poor substitute, and that's all that is available on the DV Mark heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I've seen screen shots of the software showing the actual Boss pedals and their hook up order, etc. and I assume you can adjust them from there but I can't find it in my software. Is that something that only the 100 has? My 50 has some graph looking things connected to some knobs and it's all blue. I'd much rather see the real pedals. Am I missing something?

This is the 'gumtown floorboard editor'. It's a third party piece of software written by, err, gumtown. Just Google it. It allows all sort of adjustments not available with the Boss Tone Studio, including access to the 'sneaky amps', and some additional effects. You can also have 5 effects available at one time, and put them anywhere in the chain. It's worth downloading and playing with. Although it's a bit more quirky than BTS.
    If you're interested in learning more, head over to The Gear Page, where there's a monster thread on the Katana. Gumtown is a regular contributor there, but there are also many others who know both BTS and the floorboard editor VERY well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philly112
    This is the 'gumtown floorboard editor'. It's a third party piece of software written by, err, gumtown. Just Google it. It allows all sort of adjustments not available with the Boss Tone Studio, including access to the 'sneaky amps', and some additional effects. You can also have 5 effects available at one time, and put them anywhere in the chain. It's worth downloading and playing with. Although it's a bit more quirky than BTS.
    If you're interested in learning more, head over to The Gear Page, where there's a monster thread on the Katana. Gumtown is a regular contributor there, but there are also many others who know both BTS and the floorboard editor VERY well.
    I went to that thread but couldn’t find an answer to this: can I just load all the clean amps for example? Like putting a clean amp on the higher gain channels that I wouldn’t use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    I went to that thread but couldn’t find an answer to this: can I just load all the clean amps for example? Like putting a clean amp on the higher gain channels that I wouldn’t use?

The amp has five amp models built in. Acoustic, clean, crunch, lead and brown. These are fixed and can't be changed.
    There are two ways to access the sneaky amps. One is via the floorboard editor. But the simplest way is to download them as a liveset into your pc. Them import them into BTS. This all sounds complicated, but it's easy, just Google sneaky amp liveset.
    Now, once in BTS, you can then save them on the channel patches on the Katana (4 on the 50, 8 on the 100). Once saved on say, channel 1, it will stay there. So you turn off the amp, turn it back on, and channel 1 will have amp X or whatever you saved.
    You can save 8 (for the 100) different amps, or 8 versions of the same amp. You need to be in BTS to do this of course.
    Put on distortions, delays, effects etc etc. ((you can do this from the amp or BTS). Save those to the channel, and the underlying amp on that channel will still be the sneaky amp.
    Does that help?

User Info Menu

This amp (50 watt) still does what I bought it for. No end to the honeymoon. OTOH I don't play out, play at very low volumes and only need a couple of clean sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philly112
    The amp has five amp models built in. Acoustic, clean, crunch, lead and brown. These are fixed and can't be changed.
    There are two ways to access the sneaky amps. One is via the floorboard editor. But the simplest way is to download them as a liveset into your pc. Them import them into BTS. This all sounds complicated, but it's easy, just Google sneaky amp liveset.
    Now, once in BTS, you can then save them on the channel patches on the Katana (4 on the 50, 8 on the 100). Once saved on say, channel 1, it will stay there. So you turn off the amp, turn it back on, and channel 1 will have amp X or whatever you saved.
    You can save 8 (for the 100) different amps, or 8 versions of the same amp. You need to be in BTS to do this of course.
    Put on distortions, delays, effects etc etc. ((you can do this from the amp or BTS). Save those to the channel, and the underlying amp on that channel will still be the sneaky amp.
    Does that help?
    It does! Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

User Info Menu

I've owned the Kat 100 head since Nov 16. For the price, it is a great amp. Does it sound or feel like my SF Pro Reverb. No but it doesn't hum, it doesn't weigh 60lbs and it doesn't require any maintenance. Does it have all effects or amp models like my Kemper Profiler? Again no, but I have 3K tied up in my Kemper and Atomic CLR speaker cab.

I use the Boss head for clean almost acoustic tones and play it through a 1X12 ported closed back cab with a bit of delay and reverb and I couldn't be happier. Great bang for the buck, plus with the 5" internal speaker I can use it on the go e.g. lessons etc.

The thread on TGP is huge and takes a lot of searching to find out answers to specific questions. I would recommended one use the link below first. Excellent resource.

Boss Katana Amps - FAQ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    It does! Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

No problems! Just don't get too carried away with all these sneaky amps etc. The amp sounds fine as it is. If you don't like the stock amps, I'd be very surprised if any of the sneaky ones are going to swing it for you. There's really comprehensive equalisation controls available within BTS as well. None of which I remotely understand of course!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    For a small, light head that sounds pretty good, the Gallien-Krueger MB200 is hard to beat. It's sold as a bass head, but it works very well for guitar as well. Not a huge panoply of features, but it does have aux in and headphone/speaker out in addition to the Speakon jack. IMO Speakon is the only way to go for speaker out, the 1/4" method is a poor substitute, and that's all that is available on the DV Mark heads.
    I can see the value of the Class D bass head thing for a very clean sound. How well does it take pedals?

User Info Menu

Maybe. I'd have to heft it.... I've got a little 10" cab which is pretty light. If I think I could take the head in a backpack say, it's a winner, but I think it's a little big...

So it's a toss up between this and the DVMark Micro 50, or maybe some other micro head such as the Vox MV50. The lack of speaker emulation in the latter is a drag though.

Are you sure its only 15lbs?
    I looked it up: 15.5 lbs. I believe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I looked it up: 15.5 lbs. I believe.
    Boss website says 19 lbs 7 oz... Other sources give a different value.... Confused...

User Info Menu

The MB200 takes the few pedals I have well enough. All I own are a Boss GE7 EQ, a HOF mini reverb, and a Joyo American Sound, which I don't use that much. I've been running all three recently, just to see if I can get a better sound, and they do fine. I don't crank the Joyo up that much, just enough to warm the sound a little. I do sometimes crank it a little more with my Tele clone, and it sounds ok, as far as a Tele can sound good. I'm not a big fan of Teles, but I couldn't resist a stupid deal of the day and bought a G&L. Not one of my more productive purchases, but that's beside the point.

User Info Menu

Boss website says 19 lbs 7 oz... Other sources give a different value.... Confused...

I think that we're now talking about different amps than the Katana! I think the 15.5lbs refers to the MB200.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The MB200 takes the few pedals I have well enough. All I own are a Boss GE7 EQ, a HOF mini reverb, and a Joyo American Sound, which I don't use that much. I've been running all three recently, just to see if I can get a better sound, and they do fine. I don't crank the Joyo up that much, just enough to warm the sound a little. I do sometimes crank it a little more with my Tele clone, and it sounds ok, as far as a Tele can sound good. I'm not a big fan of Teles, but I couldn't resist a stupid deal of the day and bought a G&L. Not one of my more productive purchases, but that's beside the point.
    Sans amp fly rig would probably do it then.

Would be a lot pricier than getting a DV Mark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    underpowered , extremely bright, terrible overdrive tones. In the clean fender amp model, the treble / presence is not centered correctly so it's hard to dial out brightness with a bright archtop.

I Still like it and I think it's set the bar for SS amps that will make it increasingly difficult to justify $1200 SS jazz amps in the future but it's definitely not perfect.
    Do you have any thoughts about using the overdrive channel with the gain set low? I feel that it answers some of your observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I like the top end sizzle on my barney kessel but not on my seventy seven hawk so if you paraq the top end out then how do you add it back without connecting it back up to the editor if you are using it live?
    I suppose you can use one preset tailored for a particular guitar, and the next preset for another guitar and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The MB200 weighs 2 pounds, nowhere close to 15. It won't quite fit in the pocket of your cargo pants, but it's not a lot bigger. I don't see the need for another amp. I was talking about the tele, not the amp, when I said it wasn't one of my more productive purchases. I really like the MB200, but the G&L not so much. I'm not a huge solidbody fan, but that's just my preference, and I'm well aware that lots of people love teles.

User Info Menu

Was enjoying a very Wes-like moment this morning. The setting on the Katana 100 and my guitar hit the sweet spot and I had the magic going on. I’ve never been much of a guitar volume control twiddler. From my rock days, i’m Stuck in the habit of running my guitar volume maxed. Well, I was listening to Wes this morning for reference and started turning the tone controls on the amp. I got in the neighborhood tone wise on the clean channel with gain at 25%, volume at 75%, bass and mid straight up (50%), treble backed off a little from straight up (35%), presence at zero, and power set to 50w. But, it really started to match the recording when I backed off the volume on the guitar a little (volume pointer was on 8). This revealed that open sound I was hearing in the track. Big light bulb moment for me. I’ll be playing with this some more, but I’m very happy with this combination.

i think I’ll try to emulate for other favorite player tones. This is fun. Anyone else care to share settings that work well for them?