The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

What happened to the OP?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good question, Joe. Here is a shot of the Shadow AZ48 pickup on my Unity. You can see that it is not a thin depth pickup.
    Dark sound with a floating pickup-az48-pickup-jpg
    This guitar/pickup combination sounds quite good through a Polytone Baby Brute, or through a MiniBrute II or IV. With the 8", 12", or 15" speaker it sounds very full, woody, and deep. It is the best jazz guitar I have owned and one of the top two or three I have played.

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    What happened to the OP?
    I'm still here, thank you for all these replies, I learn a lot!

User Info Menu

Hi, thanks for the info re the Kent Armstrong 12 pole floater.

Can you advise as to whether the KA 12-pole neck mount (bracket) or side mount (attached to pick guard) will give a darker sound (more like a routed in humbucker).

Many thanks
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gfinberg
    Hi, thanks for the info re the Kent Armstrong 12 pole floater.

Can you advise as to whether the KA 12-pole neck mount (bracket) or side mount (attached to pick guard) will give a darker sound (more like a routed in humbucker).

Many thanks
    Gary
    The 12-pole humbucker will give you a fuller sound no matter how you mount it. The "darkness" factor depends on string choice, pot- and tonecap value and
    for a large part on the choice of your pick AND YOUR PICKING TECHNIQUE. Getting the sound you hear in your head can sometimes take years of
    dilligent practice and lots of experimentation - don't expect instant results.

User Info Menu

I don't believe the mounting method makes much if any difference. One thing that can make some difference is coupling the pickup to the top. I have my DeArmond Rhythm Chief attached to the top with Blu-Tack between the pickup and the top, and I like the sound I get that way.