The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 68

User Info Menu

It appears many of us are springing for the DVMark Jazz combos. My "Little" arrived this week, and after playing with it I made this clip hopefully capturing how it sounds. I love this amp! Small, a 10" cube, simple controls, but it has everything I want: Aux. input, XLR out, external speaker out, and it's plenty loud for any playing I do. The guitar is the 1990's ES165 Herb Ellis model I bought from JoeD on this site. It's a honey!

The music is a Jimmy Raney solo "Bb Blues for Wes" from the Aebersold Vol. 20 book.

I was indeed delightfully surprised by the amp's sound. I hope the clip captures it. I used the XLR line for the right channel and an SM57 centered, on-axis, for the left channel. Both went into a ProSonus Audiobox iTwo interface and then to the Lightning port on my iPhone 6s. I added the title and fades in Screenflow, but didn't do anything to the audio signal.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very cool!

User Info Menu

I bought mine something over a year ago. I was looking for something that was very portable, and hoping for an acceptable sound. It's certainly portable, but the sound is far better than 'acceptable'. It sounds great, not just for a small amp, but for any amp. I have a Clarus, MB200 and Raezer's Edge Stealth 10 set up in my practice room, as well as the Little Jazz, and IMO the Little Jazz holds its own, and some days I prefer it to the Clarus/RE or MB200/RE setup. I switch back and forth between them, and like them all pretty much equally. But the Little Jazz wins for portability, and that's what usually goes out.

User Info Menu

Does this satisfy your search for a headphone practice rig?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    Yes. It's bare-bones. Track in, plugs into guitar, headphone out, runs on 9 volt battery, costs $12. For quiet, reasonable, portable practice it does the job.

User Info Menu

Beautiful tone Lawson. That right there "is" the tone I love.

User Info Menu

Sounds great Lawson. You should play your 165 more often! (And sell your L5 to me) :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    Wait... I got confused. My headphone practice rig was on another thread, where I was talking about the cheap little Joyo headphone amp.

This amp, the DVMark Jazz Little, isn't really that. It's likely to become my main amp for just about everything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Beautiful tone Lawson. That right there "is" the tone I love.
    Thanks Vinny! When I was making the recording, i kept thinking "Wow, that's really sounding nice!" I also had just put 13-56 strings on the ES165. I wonder if the heavier string (I usually play 12-50 TI's) made a difference?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    (...)
    This amp, the DVMark Jazz Little, isn't really that. It's likely to become my main amp for just about everything.
    Wow! If I recall it correctly you have a couple of Polytone amps, right?
    So how would you compare the DVMark with those?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPG
    I actually don't know if I could separate the two in a blind test. I need to do an A/B side-by-side type test. I can say that the DVMark gets as close to the Polytone sound as I've ever heard from another other amp. I actually think it might sound a bit better- Polytones can have a nasally tone sometimes, and I haven't detected that with the DV Mark.

i do have kind of a "clan" of Polytones, and really need to sell them down a bit. I would like to keep two, sell the rest, but I love them all, you know? Still, I have too much gear. I think I have adopted my wife's shopping habit: buy a bunch of things, bring them home, keep what you like, return the rest. Except "resell" goes for "return!"

User Info Menu

That combination of amp and guitar sounds just great!
    nice solo too!

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson, one of the best recording I have heard from the Little Jazz, for my ears. More important your playing is sounding great. So many others turned me off it, I purchased a Quilter which is fantastic but still pretty heavy as I got the 12 inch, might have to push the button on an LJ.

i see Rotem Sivan is presenting DVMark at Namm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Thanks Lawson, one of the best recording I have heard from the Little Jazz, for my ears. More important your playing is sounding great. So many others turned me off it, I purchased a Quilter which is fantastic but still pretty heavy as I got the 12 inch, might have to push the button on an LJ.

i see Rotem Sivan is presenting DVMark at Namm.
    Hey thank you for that.

I might be selling my DVMark Micro50 head here. Gotta decide if I need it or the money more!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPG
    nd upped power
    I have a DV little Jazz and its very good, BUT nowhere near my Polytones, which just have that HARMONIC content, DV Little Jazz is small punchy, good reverb but bit weird over 1.5, very fast attack, good bass, ultra light compact.

I also have two orig Cubes 40w 1978 & 60w 1982 with Eminence lil Buddy they also beat the DV Mark in Tone, since they & Polytone are not that readily available (lots are beat up tired & shabby) the DV Mark LJ is a really good choice and nor expensive.

If you have not played Polytone/Roland you may not notice, and some may not be able to heat that harmonic content, its not just a oh thats dark or thats trebly .

Myself if in the market would definitely opt for Roland Polytone Petersen or even A Bandit 65W 1981-1982
    which has a great sound, but only those 2 years, they changed a few Chips and upped power 1983 onwards.
    Yamaha GS50 also vg.

Some of the Peavey Studio amps are phenomenal but very heavy 35-45 Lbs. and big

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    nd upped power
    I have a DV little Jazz and its very good, BUT nowhere near my Polytones, which just have that HARMONIC content, DV Little Jazz is small punchy, good reverb but bit weird over 1.5, very fast attack, good bass, ultra light compact.

I also have two orig Cubes 40w 1978 & 60w 1982 with Eminence lil Buddy they also beat the DV Mark in Tone, since they & Polytone are not that readily available (lots are beat up tired & shabby) the DV Mark LJ is a really good choice and nor expensive.

If you have not played Polytone/Roland you may not notice, and some may not be able to heat that harmonic content, its not just a oh thats dark or thats trebly .

Myself if in the market would definitely opt for Roland Polytone Petersen or even A Bandit 65W 1981-1982
    which has a great sound, but only those 2 years, they changed a few Chips and upped power 1983 onwards.
    Yamaha GS50 also vg.

I'm not sure I agree on how vastly the Polytone is better. I own 5 Polytones, and they're all good; but I don't know that they are really a big jump from the DVJL. And as they age, they become less reliable, given that they're already (in some cases) 40+ years old. The Polytones, even the BabyBrutes, are definitely louder, because they are rated at 75+ watts and driving a 4 Ohm speaker.

I do think the DVMark jazz amps could be one good successor to the Polytone. The cabinets or something are set up really nice. I love the sound--spent the last week playing it alongside the Poly's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I actually don't know if I could separate the two in a blind test. I need to do an A/B side-by-side type test. I can say that the DVMark gets as close to the Polytone sound as I've ever heard from another other amp. I actually think it might sound a bit better- Polytones can have a nasally tone sometimes, and I haven't detected that with the DV Mark.

i do have kind of a "clan" of Polytones, and really need to sell them down a bit. I would like to keep two, sell the rest, but I love them all, you know? Still, I have too much gear. I think I have adopted my wife's shopping habit: buy a bunch of things, bring them home, keep what you like, return the rest. Except "resell" goes for "return!"
    Thanks, Lawson
    I forgot to say, also, great playing, very bop sounding!

I have a Polytone, the Mini Brute I, and love it. But at 13,4 kgs sometimes I wish I had something easier to carry around. The cubic Polytone in one hand, the ES-175 hardcase on the other hand and some narrow doors do make a tough combination..

This Little Jazz has been on my radar from some time, now. ... who knows, perhaps I may find some extra space for another amp, after all it's a small amp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    nd upped power

Yamaha GS50 also vg.

Thanks, Durban
    I do have a Mini Brute I, but as I just wrote above sometimes I could use something a little more portable.
    I also have a couple of Roland Cube 60s (the "new" models, not the original ones) and love their tone.. actually, probably the tone I can relate more with (as being "my tone") comes from the Roland using the "Tweed" amp sim.

Better yet for me is to hook both the Polytone and the Roland - their different tones doing for some stereo vibes.

I agree with you about the harmonic richness of the Polytone, it's amazing and it's sweet!

User Info Menu

bought one today after watching the posts..delighted with it...my first real JAzz amp.....with peerless monarch..still keeping the roland cube...thnks all...specially LAwson.

User Info Menu

Beautiful, Lawson. Sounds heavenly--both the amp and your playing. Happy NAD!

Roli

User Info Menu

Nice job, Lawson - you really nailed "that" tone! It's good to have an alternative to your vintage P-Tones.

User Info Menu

In there day nothing touched a Polytone for a great SS jazz tone. Today I am a huge Henriksen fan though Alan says a Mambo is better. Trouble is I am on the wrong side of the pond to try one. I have not tried the DV but seems like a great bang for buck jazz amp.

I am super anal about amp noise. The thing I love about Henriksens is the only way you know it is on is if you hit a note. It is dead quiet on. My old Polytones got buzzy with age.

My only complaint with the Henriksen is the reverb is only so-so. They are coming out with a new hybrid that is really sparking my interest. Amps are another rabbit hole for me.

Lawson once again, delicious tone and I am a huge JR fan. Joe is probably wishing he never sold you that 165. That is one nice sounding axe.

User Info Menu

It appears they have a head version of the amp, has anyone tried one of those?

DV MARK | Products | DV MICRO 50 JAZZ

User Info Menu

I have the regular Micro 50, which has an OD in stead of an FX Loop. It sounds the same in a cab as my Jazz 12. Didn't need to crank it when it went into a Marshall stack at the local HRC.

User Info Menu

There are several threads on the forum about the DV Mark heads. Put "dv mark micro" in the search box, and you'll get a long list of discussions of the various models.