The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 68

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    In there day nothing touched a Polytone for a great SS jazz tone. Today I am a huge Henriksen fan though Alan says a Mambo is better. Trouble is I am on the wrong side of the pond to try one. I have not tried the DV but seems like a great bang for buck jazz amp.
    I am super anal about amp noise. The thing I love about Henriksens is the only way you know it is on is if you hit a note. It is dead quiet on. My old Polytones got buzzy with age.

Vinny, I must chime in, I’ve had the Mambo for around four years, I had the Henriksen
    at the same time , no contest, the Mambo is as quiet as the grave. I use it as my go to
    In preference to the Polytone 15” , Evans Ah200, Fender Vibrolux . It’s lightweight and
    ultra reliable. The newer version is even better. If you can possibly find someone in Cali
    to let you try I feel sure that you will approve of it.
    You know that I would not recommend a half assed amp.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In there day nothing touched a Polytone for a great SS jazz tone. Today I am a huge Henriksen fan though Alan says a Mambo is better. Trouble is I am on the wrong side of the pond to try one. I have not tried the DV but seems like a great bang for buck jazz amp.
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. My friend has a mambo 10", I've had two older henriksen amps (60W), now I have a newer (still the old one - the blue) 160W. The same friend has also a 15" polytone. For classic jazz sound - I mean a fat sound - nothing comes close to the polytone. But it's too heavy.
    My "new" henriksen is close second. Mambo ends up last - no meat there, too thin. Still very good, but worse. Out of all these I like me 65 deluxe reverb most ;-D

I am super anal about amp noise. The thing I love about Henriksens is the only way you know it is on is if you hit a note. It is dead quiet on. My old Polytones got buzzy with age.

My only complaint with the Henriksen is the reverb is only so-so. They are coming out with a new hybrid that is really sparking my interest. Amps are another rabbit hole for me.
    I have the same. The deluxe isn't dead quiet, so I'm playing mostly the henriksen at home

EDIT: I was talking about the newer version of the Mambo. I can only confirm that it's completely quiet, as the henriksen. But still sounds worse (too me!). The reverb of the mambo is a bit better, but I use external pedals for that anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    There are several threads on the forum about the DV Mark heads. Put "dv mark micro" in the search box, and you'll get a long list of discussions of the various models.

I did but looking specifically for the MICRO 50 JAZZ not the others. NP I'll find some comments somewhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I did but looking specifically for the MICRO 50 JAZZ not the others. NP I'll find some comments somewhere.
    I’m pretty sure that is just the standard Micro50 without the overdrive channel. Specs look the same. I could try to compare my Jazz Little with the micro50 clean channel to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

You're not wrong, I think I only know of one guy on here that owned one, not sure he still even has it. Also I don't remember his name

I am inclined to believe its voiced ever so slightly different than the normal Micro 50, but I cannot substantiate my claim with any evidence, sorry.

DV Mark are pretty responsive tho, try emailing them and asking about the differences between the Micro 50 and the Jazz version of it. They can clarify.

User Info Menu

AFAIK the only discussions of the jazz model are included in the thread discussing the various models. The jazz version is too new to have many owners, I think. I would have bought it instead of the regular Micro50 if it had been available, but when I purchased it that's all there was. All the other variants are very new, and I haven't heard any of them. I sold my Micro50, for various reasons, but mostly because it sounded so close to my Little Jazz and Clarus, and I had no use for a distortion channel. I replaced it with a GK MB200, and I'm happy I did. It's smaller, lighter, and sounds a little different, more transparent and airy. I would be surprised if the DV Mark jazz head sounded radically different from the rest of the Micro50 head models for clean, but I've been surprised before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I’m pretty sure that is just the standard Micro50 without the overdrive channel. Specs look the same. I could try to compare my Jazz Little with the micro50 clean channel to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    So here's how I compared them. I used a Quilter 12" cabinet and played into it from the Micro50 head clean channel, and then from the Jazz Little speaker out-put with the internal speaker turned off. All EQ was 12 noon, volume was about 11 o' clock on both. Reverb off.

I was going to make a clip, but it would have been pointless. If the lights hadn't been on with each unit, I could not have separated them if the fate of western civilization had hung in the balance. In terms of output under these conditions, the Micro50 Clean and the Jazz Little seem identical to me.

The reasons for choosing one over the other would be whether you wanted an effects loop (the Mark II Micro50 head) or XLR direct out (Jazz Little or the older Micro50 head). I think DVMark also has done a fine job designing the cabinet of the Jazz Little. It has "something" special-maybe how it's ported, mounted, maybe it's the speaker, I don't know, but it's a nice, fat sounding cabinet.

So for all intents and purposes, I'm ready to conclude the Jazz Little simply has the Clean section of the Micro50 head, and I imagine that's what the Micro50 Jazz uses as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So here's how I compared them. I used a Quilter 12" cabinet and played into it from the Micro50 head clean channel, and then from the Jazz Little speaker out-put with the internal speaker turned off. All EQ was 12 noon, volume was about 11 o' clock on both. Reverb off.

I was going to make a clip, but it would have been pointless. If the lights hadn't been on with each unit, I could not have separated them if the fate of western civilization had hung in the balance. In terms of output under these conditions, the Micro50 Clean and the Jazz Little seem identical to me.

The reasons for choosing one over the other would be whether you wanted an effects loop (the Mark II Micro50 head) or XLR direct out (Jazz Little or the older Micro50 head). I think DVMark also has done a fine job designing the cabinet of the Jazz Little. It has "something" special-maybe how it's ported, mounted, maybe it's the speaker, I don't know, but it's a nice, fat sounding cabinet.

So for all intents and purposes, I'm ready to conclude the Jazz Little simply has the Clean section of the Micro50 head, and I imagine that's what the Micro50 Jazz uses as well.
    Cool, thanks for running that test. So based on that for me I'd would go with the Jazz to get the XLR out to run into my interface for recording.

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Nice Lawson.

I purchased a DV Mark Little Jazz last year, very pleased with it, great jazz tone.

User Info Menu

Cool, thanks for running that test. So based on that for me I'd would go with the Jazz to get the XLR out to run into my interface for recording.

Thanks again!
    You mean the Jazz LITTLE. No XLR out on the Micro50 jazz head.

The older Micro50 "standard" had the XLR out.

User Info Menu

Hey Lawson,

Have you messed with the EQ settings on your LJ much?
    Flat is fine, but I also like a little boosted mid with the treble rolled way off.
    That mid knob has something goin' on . . . just sayin'

I love the EQ section on this amp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Hey Lawson,

Have you messed with the EQ settings on your LJ much?
    Flat is fine, but I also like a little boosted mid with the treble rolled way off.
    That mid knob has something goin' on . . . just sayin'

I love the EQ section on this amp
    For comparison sake I kept it at "noon." But I've had a DV Mark Micro50 for some times now, and yes, the EQ on these has a lot of color to offer. I have't explored it much but I think in connection with the cabinet, and whatever they've done to it, could be interesting.

Now I'm side-by-side comparing it with my Polytone BabyBrute.
    Yet Another DVMark Jazz Little!-img_9573-jpg

User Info Menu

Really enjoying my lil jazz amp but wondered about the use of a 4 ohm cabinet vs 8 ohm. I asked DV Mark and this was the answer:

Hi Tom,
    thanks for writing.
    The speaker output is in parallel with the internal speaker that is 8 ohm impedance, so adding an 8 ohm external speaker the total impedance will drop at 4 ohm (that is the minimum load for the amp).
    Feel free to contact us for any further question.
    Best Regards.
    Riccardo

Riccardo Damiani
    Mark World Artist Relations
    Marketing & Communication
    Online Customer Support

i followed up with the question: with this information it appears that I can run the 4 ohm cabinet if I shut the internal 8 ohm off with the on/off button, correct?

i know it will work, I would just like to see DV Mark confirm what seems to me to be obvious?

No answer yet.

tom

User Info Menu

I really like how the Little Jazz works as a recording amp.

My gear is all in the corner of the living room. The ambient noise has made mic’ed recording unsatisfactory. With the LJ, I use the XLR out straight into my digital Portastudio. I turn off the speaker on the LJ and monitor recording through the Portastudio’s headphone jack.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Just bought the Meinl MQW-10 10 inch Professional Cuica Bag

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00275G7OE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for my Little Jazz. It is a perfect fit and very high quality if anyone is thinking about purchasing,

Cheers, Simon

User Info Menu

Couldn't resist 20% off with no tax on the Little Jazz at Musician's Friend so I ordered one. They are out of stock but supposed to ship on 4/9.

User Info Menu

Has anyone used the "Aux" input on their DV Mark Little Jazz?

Mine is very noisy - useable but not ideal.

Aside from this, I couldn't be happier with the amp. It's my go-to gigging amp now.

User Info Menu

I had honestly never tried the aux input, but I just did. It's not noisy, it's a rather faithful reproduction of the input, but it's loud. The volume control doesn't affect it at all, and the volume control on my Android phone didn't work with Google Music player. Really good sound, but louder than I wanted in the practice room. I may be missing something.

Edit: My phone glitched, and the volume control had no effect on anything. A reboot fixed it, and it controls the volume to the LJ just fine. No noise, and it sounds good.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 03-27-2018 at 09:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    Has anyone used the "Aux" input on their DV Mark Little Jazz?

Mine is very noisy - useable but not ideal.

Aside from this, I couldn't be happier with the amp. It's my go-to gigging amp now.
    The Aux In is pretty good on mine; comparable to a Fender Mustang’s.

User Info Menu

I might have to try a different cable and/or device.

Was very noisy with my mobile phone - but adequate to practise with. I would only use it for home practice with iRealB.
    The amps volume control has no effect on the Aux level from what I can tell.

I'm really impressed with the tone coming through headphones and line-out.
    Even without the speaker it's a good sound, would be great for direct recording.

User Info Menu

Yeah, ISTR that the aux in volume is controlled only by the external input device. I never use the aux in because I have a good stereo amp and speakers in my practice room, so I use that. I think I tried it once when I first bought it, just to see how it sounded, and then forgot about it. The aux in would be very useful if I didn't already have a better system available. I haven't found anything about the LJ that sounds bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rdwhitti
    Couldn't resist 20% off with no tax on the Little Jazz at Musician's Friend so I ordered one. They are out of stock but supposed to ship on 4/9.
    I'm considering this as well. I wonder if the newer version(less fan noise) will ship, as the MF webpage still shows the older version?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    I'm considering this as well. I wonder if the newer version(less fan noise) will ship, as the MF webpage still shows the older version?
    I certainly hope it is the new version. How can I tell when it gets here?

User Info Menu

It's obvious from the fan mount on the back. The picture on the webpage where you can see the fan(reminds me of how a computer case fan is sometimes mounted is the original style.
    The newer style has a couple slots in that area instead. I'll try to find a pic.

User Info Menu

Scroll down here:

DV Mark Little Jazz - Living with the fan noise?