The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29
    I recently acquired a Deluxe Reverb Reissue that has an alnico blue speaker in it, which does not work well at all for jazz. Aside from the fact that the speaker is already a lower wattage than the amp itself, which decreases head room, and makes it impossible to use overdrive pedals. I need a speaker that provides lots of head room and will be able to handle overdrive pedals nicely as well as providing a nice clean jazz tone. Any suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cannabis Rex

/thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Some Weber speaker recommendations for your consideration. T.A. Weber is easily accessible by email if you would like direct recommendations base on your desires.

Best Speaker For A Fender Deluxe Reverb

User Info Menu

You may want to look into the Eminence GA-SC64. The alphabet soap translates to George Allesandro Sound Circa ‘64. It will help make your Deluxe sound like a very well played vintage blackface. Very lush, very warm.

Probably my best purchase last year.

User Info Menu

I have a '77 Silverface DR that has always been difficult to stay clean. I attribute that to too many techs fooling with it prior to my ownership. After going through a number of speakers for it, I settled on a Weber California with paper dome. However, from reading the Weber website, if one wants a smoother overdrive speaker, the next best choice would be the Weber Chicago. Both are 80 watt speakers, more than adequate for jazz cleans.

Ceramic California 12

User Info Menu

WGS G12C/S.

12" G12C/S - 75 watts | Warehouse Guitar Speakers

Ceramics work beautifully in Blackfaces. Extra efficiency helps when You need headroom. And the price ain’t bad either!

User Info Menu

I like the Jensen Neo 12-100 that I put in my Blues Deluxe (not the same amp, I know, although I changed to circuit so it's pretty close to a Deluxe Reverb with 2x6L6).

The Neo 12-100 is 100 watts, with 98.5dB sensitivity and delivers good headroom. I find it to be a very even sounding speaker, not harsh or shrill at all, with good bottom end without sounding 'boomy'. Added bonus is the light weight (saves you some 6 lbs compared to a ceramic).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I like the Jensen Neo 12-100 that I put in my Blues Deluxe (not the same amp, I know, although I changed to circuit so it's pretty close to a Deluxe Reverb with 2x6L6).

The Neo 12-100 is 100 watts, with 98.5dB sensitivity and delivers good headroom. I find it to be a very even sounding speaker, not harsh or shrill at all, with good bottom end without sounding 'boomy'. Added bonus is the light weight (saves you some 6 lbs compared to a ceramic).
    I envy You. I had Jensen Neo in my Tweed Deluxe clone for a while. It was everything You described but at the end I missed the sound of alnico ... or ceramic magnet. Neo has not either so I sold it and went to (Weber) Alnico.

The Celestion Creamback Neo sounds surprisingly convincingly ceramic.

(I feel almost stupid to be a magnet traditionalist like this!)

One more + for the WGS G12C/S vs Emi Cannabis Rex: all the Emis I have had (almost 10 different) have had one thing common: they sound stiff. G12C/S has the same rounded upper register than CR but it is more relaxed (if a guitar speaker can relax).

User Info Menu

I'd go with the CRex first, having had one for years in a very DR like amp (Gries 20). Or maybe try the Weber Silver Bell ceramic. A friend has that speaker in a silverface DR and it sounds very nice.
    MD

User Info Menu

Many options out there. I put Eminence Red White and Blues in my old Twin Reverb (1973 black faced) and they handle the Twin well. Maybe overkill for you? Not sure. Eminence has a good site for comparisons with specs etc. You could even call them, US company with very good customer service in my experience.

User Info Menu

Boy this can be a bit of a Rabbit Hole. But here are some suggestions for you that worked for me in a Quilter 1x12" Aviator Combo. This is essentially the same size and can deliver approx the same Clean tone, except 100 watts SS.

1.)Neo Speakers: Unless you are using a closed back cab, Neo's will lack proper bottom end and effeciency I've found in all cases.

2.) WGS ET90: 100watt Celestion type of speaker very similar to a Celestion Lead 80 both are good choice for all around music uses

3.) WGS Blackhawk HP 100watt Alnico: Really like this speaker a lot, but I'm using this in a small closed back Egnater 1x12 Rebell cab.

4.) JBL K120: Good speaker but too heavy and not worth the trade off w/ many lighter choices that sound as good.

5.) Jensen Blackbird 100: Nice Alnico tone but a bit of an early break up when pushed hard.

6.) EV12L 200 watt: Another heavy in weight choice like the JBL. Industry std. but the weight isn't worth it again

7.) Celestion Redback 150: Very powerful, almost too much bass response. I ended up adding a small 8" 100 watt speaker along in the same cab too balance this out.

I noticed there are recommends for the Emminence RWB, Texas Heat, Cannabis Rex, Wizard? Ive not tried these but may be good low cost alternatives. I did have a Tonker which was too stiff and dark sounding for my tastes.

Best of luck!

User Info Menu

Celestion Alnico Gold. 50 watts, super-efficient, super-clean, and the most hi-fi speaker out there. I have one in my DRRI and couldn’t be happier. Perfect for jazz; too clean for blues and rock. That’s what the Alnico Blue is for.

User Info Menu

Excellent Celestion Gold or Cream. Or even WGS Blackhawk 50 watt and HP 100 watt versions. Whatever you find used and or the best deal on. Try Reverb.com and TGP Forums under Parts,Misc.

User Info Menu

I bought an open-backed cabinet from Mojotone to make it easier to try different speakers, and I think the Cannabis Rex is just dark enough to tone down the ice pick sound you sometimes get from the stock Jensen in a DRRI yet still maintain clarity in the bass.

For grins I plugged my Henricksen amp head into the Jensen, and that opened up the Henricksen nicely. But the Henricksen cabinet is closed back with no control of the Tweeter.

It's an endless chase and I have a bad feeling that the day I find my perfect tone I'll get run over by the UPS truck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richpiv
    For grins I plugged my Henricksen amp head into the Jensen, and that opened up the Henricksen nicely. But the Henricksen cabinet is closed back with no control of the Tweeter.
    I remember when I had a Hericksen the manual said the highest tone control was the frequency of the tweeter and it could be used like a tweeter control.

User Info Menu

I recently replaced the stock speaker in a Priceton with a Celestion Gold. My new favourite speaker!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richpiv
    and I have a bad feeling that the day I find my perfect tone I'll get run over by the UPS truck.
    I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. The Man Who Took the UPS Truck for His Amp.

User Info Menu

I realize this thread is a month old but I have to say I love my Fender Deluxe Reverb with the Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker. It really tamed the shrillness especially after the speaker was broken in. If you ever use overdrive pedals at low volumes, consider clipping the C-10 “brightness” cap as well.

User Info Menu

I really like the Emminence Cannabis Rex as well in my DRRI. Tames the edgy highs.

User Info Menu

Another vote here for Cannabis Rex. I have one and its great for Jazz...

User Info Menu

Is this the cannabis rex everyone is talking about?
    Eminence Cannabis Rex Patriot Series 12" 50-Watt Replacement Guitar Speaker 8 Ohm | Sweetwater

Also for a deluxe do you want 8 ohm or 16ohm?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Best speaker if money is no object for a Fender Deluxe Reverb is Alnico Cream. If money is tighter Eminence GA-SC64. My opinion of course....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay

Just to add another viewpoint, I had a pair of them and found them to be dull with poor headroom and peaky to the point of hurting my ears compared to almost any ceramic speaker. I did a few gigs with them and I couldn't wait for the gig to be over. I swapped one of my cabs out with a Celestion G12H-75 and it was so loud you couldn't even hear the other (identical cab) with jensen neo 12-100. Couldn't get rid of them fast enough. I've tried 7 or 8 neo speakers and IMO, they still haven't figured out how to get a great sounding guitar sound out of them. I'm back to the Celestion though I actually am using the Alnico 90 creamback. I used to try to save money on speakers but then I realized, "what point is it having an expensive guitar and then playing it through an $89 speaker?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Best speaker if money is no object for a Fender Deluxe Reverb is Alnico Cream. If money is tighter Eminence GA-SC64. My opinion of course....
    just to be clear, they make a 65 and 75 of that. The 75 sounds way better for jazz IMO...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    just to be clear, they make a 65 and 75 of that. The 75 sounds way better for jazz IMO...
    If your talking the alnico cream I didn’t know that. I have the 75 watt version. Very nice in a deluxe.