The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 52

User Info Menu

Dear fellow jazz guitarists,

I got my christmas tale come true.

I've just made the acquisition of a wonderful Gibson L5N from 1940. This guitar has been authentified by André Duchossoir, a fine Gibson expert, as the L5N owned by Dave Barbour. It was sitting in a shop in Paris with an insane requested price. Since it was there for a while I could manage to get with a decent offer.

The sound is just wow. Very complex to describe. What strikes first is the balance in all the spectrum range. Then you realize how incredible are the medium basses, ideal for delivering nice 7ths and 3rds in Freddie Green triad chords. The trebles have an incredible dynamic range. If you push them a little hard then you get an almost "Djangoesque" sound, alla Maccaferri guitars. The basses are here, very defined and supportive, but not outrageously loud and so never delivering a muddy sound.

The guitar is certainly not mint, that's not what I am looking for in vintage guitars, but it is in very good shape for its age and, most important, structurally preserved. A great player instrument.

According to serial number (FA-5015, FON 706 E) this guitar was delivered to Dave Barbour on April 2nd 1940, and he seems to have used it extensively during the '40s. Dave was a very well known guitarist from the swing era and, most notably, the husband of Peggy Lee. There are pictures of them two while Dave is holding the guitar in hands.

1940 Gibson L-5N formerly owned by Dave Barbour-shows_summer_electric_hour_7_1948may-jpg1940 Gibson L-5N formerly owned by Dave Barbour-peggy-lee-dave-barbour-gibson-l5-jpg1940 Gibson L-5N formerly owned by Dave Barbour-dave-barbour-peggy-lee-1-t690f25g10-jpg

Dave was a member of Benny Goodman's orchestra in the early '40s and this same guitar can be seen in this '43 video with Peggy Lee:

The guitar is also featured on these pics with notorious musicians from that period, Woody Herman, Paul Weston, Zutty Singleton.

1940 Gibson L-5N formerly owned by Dave Barbour-dave-barbour-l5-paul-weston-zutty-singleton-jpg1940 Gibson L-5N formerly owned by Dave Barbour-dave-barbour-peggy-lee-woody-herman-l5-jpg

In some of these historical pics the resolution is fair enough to show the dings and nicks of the table and also the wood signature on the maple side. They are still there !

It's a strange feeling to have such an historical instrument in hands, a guitar once used to comp for Peggy Lee or Benny Goodman. I definitly feel like I'm more the caretaker of it than anything else.

More pics on the following post.

Cheers.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here are some pics of this babe.

1940 Gibson L-5N formerly owned by Dave Barbour-l5n1-jpg1940 Gibson L-5N formerly owned by Dave Barbour-l5n2-jpg1940 Gibson L-5N formerly owned by Dave Barbour-l5n3-jpg1940 Gibson L-5N formerly owned by Dave Barbour-l5n4-jpg1940 Gibson L-5N formerly owned by Dave Barbour-label-jpg

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Congrats! A dream guitar to be sure. May she inspire your playing for many years to come.

User Info Menu

Wow, what an amazing guitar. Not just a fantastic instrument but a piece of musical history. How could you put it down long enough to take those photos Big congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

What a gorgeous instrument, and what a fascinating provenance! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

What a great find and opportunity to steward a historical piece through a period of its life! Sometimes we mere mortals get a chance to reach out and touch the legends.

Thank you for sharing!

User Info Menu

Congrats ! Great start to 2018 !!

User Info Menu

What a find! Lovely instrument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

That is a fantastic acquisition.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Congratulations on a fantastic score, Fred Archtop! That is just something really special! I am somehow glad to know it is in good hands!

Maybe someday down the road you'll treat us to a demo in one of those great videos you share from time to time...

But for now, play it in good health.

User Info Menu

Incredible. Wonderful. Real mojo.

User Info Menu

That's awesome. I'm especially glad it is in the hands of a player! Dave enjoyed his blondes, eh? The photos are precious. And you have no need to have a pickguard made because he didn't use one, either.

My '47 L-5N and I salute you, and we anticipate potentially hearing this guitar one day.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Fantastic history for an incredible guitar! Enjoy and we look forward to a new video soon

User Info Menu

Another piece of history recovered and in the hands of a forum member - Congrats and enjoy her in good health!

User Info Menu

Oh man. Congrats! I can’t wait to hear your recording. Do you plan to amplify it? With this guitar I would thing there’s no need but I remember you put a floating cc on your other L5. Whatever you end up doing I hope to hear its acoustic tone first.

User Info Menu

Wow that's gorgeous. Hope you don't mind if I use that 1st pic from the 2nd post as my computer wallpaper for a while...

Play it in good health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

WHAT A GREAT SCORE !! I cannot believe how terrifically documented your guitar is. Not only is it gorgeous and I am sure a real sweet playing guitar but you have all that mojo oozing out of it. Can you hear any echos of clarinets when you put your ears near the f-holes ??? I am just, well I am humbled you found such a beauty.

I was looking at a 1939 L5 that was a real old refinish to blond, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on her. YOU sir got the kind of guitar I was hoping for, yet with all that pedigree to boot...

Well played my friend, well played.

Big

User Info Menu

Zowwie !!!!

User Info Menu

Fred,

What a find! I know, given the way I have seen you play your other archtops, that you will enjoy this L5.

Way to go.

User Info Menu

Amazing guitar
    Incredible provenance

Can I borrow it please? OK, that's understandable.. had to ask, as that is one awfully desirable L5, and I'm guessing I have already heard it played, given where its history.

Glad for you, enjoy!
    John

User Info Menu

What a nice axe Fred. It is in the right hands. A big Congrats !

User Info Menu

Dave Barbour certainly had 2 beautiful blondes in his life.

User Info Menu

Better be careful who's around when you play that guitar. Or at least use it to your advantage...

From Wikipedia:

In March 1943 Lee married Dave Barbour, a guitarist in Goodman's band. Lee said, "David joined Benny's band and there was a ruling that no one should fraternize with the girl singer. But I fell in love with David the first time I heard him play, and so I married him. Benny then fired David, so I quit, too. Benny and I made up, although David didn't play with him anymore. Benny stuck to his rule. I think that's not too bad a rule, but you can't help falling in love with somebody."

User Info Menu

Dear Jazzers,

Million thanks for your friendly humoristic and anthousiastic comments. But now... here is the blonde in action. Actually pretty hard to render the sweetness of her tone, especially when the rhythm section is kicking your bottom a little bit. Although she can bite hard, like through a brass section, the tone is actually mellower IRL than in my video.

Clearly I am not so much a guitarist trained to play pure acoustic jazz (hey Jonathan...a couple of lessons might help). You clearly have to play mostly downstroke to get a big sound out of it.

I am planning to drill a big hole and put a CC mic...NO, don't call 911, I'm just kidding! If I need to play it amplified she will get a DeArmond Rhythm Chief period. But so far so good as it is.

Thanks and take care.

User Info Menu

Wow!
    This forum is really heating up!
    Fred, I am so happy for you. What a great buy. And Dave left some magic in that guitar. The midtones sound better than most guitars' Bass notes..

Outstanding playing. One of my favorite videos. Magical is all I can say.

Home run bro!

Joe D