The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Which Gibson model would you most like to see reissued?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • ES-150

19 16.81%
  • ES-250

17 15.04%
  • ES-350

34 30.09%
  • L-7

17 15.04%
  • ES-125

26 23.01%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 56

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

just wondering what your thoughts were about Gibson reissuing out-of-production model archtops.

I was thinking specifically about models like the ES-150 (with CC pickup), ES-250, ES-350, ES-125, L-7. I know Gibson reissued a very small batch of ES-150's around 2000, and there was an acoustic L-7C produced a few years ago.

I was just wondering whether there would be enough demand for any of the models? Surely an ES-150 at a reasonable price point would be popular as it's such an iconic instrument. Surely the guitar market doesn't need another 10 new Les Paul models in different finishes every year?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If the ES-250 (my choice) were reissued, it would be priced at $15,000. Then they'd sell one or two of them, conclude that a market did not exist, and cancel further production. In fact, this would happen, albeit at different price points, for every single one of the options. That's the sad reality.

User Info Menu

?We're a laser focused group here so what really floats OUR boat may not sell world wide like Gibson needs it to to justify releasing them. Stick with cats like Daniel Slayman who will deliver the goods.

Big

I'll take an ES250 or ES350 nt, thank you very much Gibson.

User Info Menu

Alas, Roger is almost certainly right. The market internationally for big-body archtop guitars is very thin. This is why Gibson is cutting back to its core market--Les Pauls and semi-acoustics.

When the baby boomers came into peak earning capacity they went out and purchased their "dream came true" guitars--both vintage and reissue. (That's many of us.) The generations after the baby boomers are now doing something like that, but L-5, ES-175, etc., guitars don't tick so many boxes for the younger set. They saw Noel Gallagher playing red Gibson ES-3X5 guitars, and Dave Grohl playing a Pelham blue Trini Lopez guitar.

FWIW, I'd love to see a reissue ES-350 (late-40s version) or reissue ES-250 (Charlie Christian version).

Not going to happen, IMO. Go Slaman!

User Info Menu

I would throw in one of the early 16" acoustic archtops, either the L5, L7, L10, or L12. (Given how many modern makers are reproducing them.)

User Info Menu

ES350 3 knob but yes sadly it will never happen. We are a dying breed close to extinction.
    My son plays guitar. Les Paul’s and SG’s. He always says “why to you play those stupid big guitars”.
    If I gave him a L5 he would just trade it for a Strat.

User Info Menu

I own 11 archtops. I am set. Archtop production could end tomorrow by Gibson and everyone else and I will be just fine. While I would love to see a demand for archtops, it ain't going to be happening anytime soon.

User Info Menu

My son was a professional player for several years--supported himself solely by touring and selling records. Now, with an established career in business, he plays semi-professionally. He has Gibsons and Fenders, all solid-bodies.

I think that his ultimate goal is to get a ES-335. Pretty sure that if I give him an archtop it will get traded for a 335.

Tastes change.

User Info Menu

I don't know the model but my buddy when at GIT had this great Gibson. It was like a 335 semi-body, but had a nice L5 like neck. The neck inlay and headstock very L5'ish and nice chunky profile. I wouldn't mind seeing that come back, or they release a 175 with the thin body and other spec's of the one they made for Joe Pass before he transitioned.

User Info Menu

As you mentioned, Gibson already made re-issues the ES-150, ES-350 and L7. I best most of them are still in good shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Reissue Out-of-production Archtops-x00es350_-jpg-pagespeed-ic-8z6l2o-8il-jpg Gibson Reissue Out-of-production Archtops-444x600x00_es150_-jpg-pagespeed-ic-3cqjtfnl9a-jpg Gibson Reissue Out-of-production Archtops-screen-shot-2018-01-04-12-50-47-pm-jpg 

User Info Menu

I might break my “no new Gibson” rule if they reissued the es-350. But they won’t - there are fewer guitarists nowadays and fewer people buying new guitars on top of that. Those that do are not interested in archtop was for the large part and just want yet another rehashed Les Paul or Strat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

My prediction is that no matter how well these re-issues are made, there would be rampant complaints that they are too expensive and not as good as the originals.

User Info Menu

I suspect that MG is right. People want it all. They want nitrocellulose finishes like the ones that Floyd sprayed in the 50s at Gibson (and continued to spray for Heritage into the 21st century). They want old-growth, yard-dried wood to be used on production guitars--never mind that this wood no longer exists, and that what producers get must be rushed to production rather than slowly aged. (Roasting, heh)

Take the Les Paul: the wood that Gibson would have spec'd to produce a Les Paul in the 50s became less available. To produce an instrument now that would weigh what a '55-'60 Les Paul does requires boring cavities in the mahogany body. Will the resulting instruments sound the same as the old ones? I don't think so. Would I acquire a new one rather than pay vintage prices? You bet.

The ES-175 and ES-3X5 guitars I have played from Gibson in recent years sound and play GREAT, IMO. Are they the same as the originals? Nope. Will people complain? Absolutely. However, try to get ALL of the original components. Better yet, try to get a permit to spray the original lacquers. Everybody is using nitro finish coats, these days, but the undercoats have plasticizers in them, IIRC.

User Info Menu

Still and all, when I was a kid a Les Paul Special or an SG Special was a very rude, rock and roll instrument. You could really express some bad attitude with either one.

I'd bet that the new Gibson double-cut Les Paul Special Gibson is announcing could really help a young person kick up a fuss. That and a Fender Champion 600 amp and you have a great tone machine, I'd say.

User Info Menu

My vote is for the ES-250 but I know Gibson aren't interested in making stuff like this.
    A natural ES-250 with picture-frame inlays (as seen on early L7s) is my dream guitar. Maybe I should save up some money and give Mr. Slaman a call?

Actually -would love a 'proper' acoustic (non-cutaway) Super 400 - a real big band cannon. Lightly built and loud....

If they were to reissue things like this they'd probably be
    a) wildly expensive and/or
    b) inaccurate/wrong
    c) made in tiny quantities

It's like when they had the hair-brained idea of reintroducing the Les Paul Recording (the ORIGINAL LP Recording is my fav. solid body guitar) - they made a nice looking guitar that 'looked' the part - however none of the low impedance electronics were there, the pickups were just high impedance humbuckers that looked like the originals, and the tone controls were just like what's on a normal LP.

The market is all about sunburst Les Pauls and semi-hollows.
    They make what appears to be hundreds of Les Paul variations..... I find this kind of boring.... this is coming from someone who likes Les Pauls.

User Info Menu

I voted for an ES-150 but I was really about to tick the L-7 box, and would not say ‘no’ to a 250, 350, or 125. Any on the list, and if done properly I guess I’d buy it. Hoy! Gibson! One guitar sold here! My first Gibson! If you price it fairly… (ahem…)
    Last edited by radiofm74; 01-08-2018 at 06:04 AM.

+1 for Daniel Slaman, his work looks and sounds amazing.

Hopefully these things go in cycles though! IMO the ES-150 was the most perfect archtop Gibson ever built, and it’s certainly one very cool guitar. Maybe if we can find a way of getting one into Justin Beiber’s hands Gibson may reconsider...

User Info Menu

My vote is an ES-175CC. Make it mahogany too just for grins... Less Classic than the other CC models but improved playability. I like the florentine cutaway too...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    My vote is for the ES-250 but I know Gibson aren't interested in making stuff like this.
    A natural ES-250 with picture-frame inlays (as seen on early L7s) is my dream guitar. Maybe I should save up some money and give Mr. Slaman a call?

s.
    Yes absolutely , that guitar Daniel made for Metheny
    was great , like an es250 with a cutaway and adjustable
    CC pickup , nice one ...

He makes a nice non cut Es250 type guitar too

I like Pat Metheny's taste I guess , cos I love his prototype Ibanez too ....

The production models not as much

Dou you think if Gibson made a Barney Kessel
    350 with CC it might sell OK ?

User Info Menu

The idea of a BK 350 Gibson with a CC seems a nice idea but as has already been mentioned
    . highly unlikely. A better option would be to order a custom build from Daniel Slaman whose
    reputation and guitar production is highly regarded and is equal to or better than the larger
    manufacturers. But, due to popularity there is a very long wait. I suspect the same applies
    to Hans Elferlink hand built guitars. For our friends in the USA there are a number of good
    private luthiers available, some of whom are members of this forum.

User Info Menu

unfortunately there's probably a better chance for this 70's v2 to be reissued before any of those archtops!! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

If we're going the route of CC arch tops.......I'd be tempted by this:

User Info Menu

None of the above. I would vote for a circa 1950 *single pickup* ES-5. Not sure they even existed, so I feel free to make the pickup a staple. Basically an ES-350 with L-5 bling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    None of the above. I would vote for a circa 1950 *single pickup* ES-5. Not sure they even existed, so I feel free to make the pickup a staple. Basically an ES-350 with L-5 bling.
    I want one too! The reissue 350 pictured earlier in this thread looks to me more like a two-pickup ES5. Rosewood fretboard with solid rectangular block inlays and Cupid’s bow. Standard crown inlay on the headstock. Plastic tuners (Klusons?). Gimme one of those with a single P90 and I’d be a happy boy!

User Info Menu

+1