The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 239

User Info Menu

I was at music store in a nearby city and they had 2 kingpin 2s both P90s. One of those 2 sounded really good to me and the first in about 5 tries with 5th Aves to find something that sounded right to me ear.

They had it discounted pretty low for quick sale. There are some used ones around for a bit cheaper that I want to try out before I commit.

In the meantime... i checked out an original Godin Montreal, the all mahogany semisolid with the bolt on neck.

I liked everything about it, it has splittable coil humbuckers that sounded Les Paulish in the HB position and very much Telecaster in the SC.. Except with a bit more thickness than a Tele but with good spank.. The bridge piezo sounded really nice blended in about 25 percent and was passable fully on as an acoustic emulator.

I bought it and consider it one heck of a great buy for 750US. With a small tweak putting a treble bleed cap on the volume control, this will most certainly be the favorite guitar in the house at a fifth of the value of my main guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Godin is gone. Traded it this morning for a 2007 Eastman AR803ce-16. The Eastman suits me much better and has that chunkier, woodier tone that I was searching for. He loved the 5th Ave Jazz for the slightly brighter tone and lighter weight so we decided it was a good swap. Pics of the new girl.

Godin 5th Avenue-received_201343870421162-jpg

Godin 5th Avenue-received_201343927087823-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Godin 5th Avenue-received_201343907087825-jpg Godin 5th Avenue-received_201343937087822-jpg 

User Info Menu

Glad it all worked out okay for you, Esport.

For future reference, I have had several 5th Avenues and found they are very versatile. They can get a variety of sounds, from acoustic-electric (something like the modern Benedetto sound) to the darker "jazz" tones many seek (think 50s ES-125 or ES-175). To get the sound you want, it is important on the fixed pickup versions, like the Jazz and P90 Kingpins, to adjust the polepieces.

With fixed pickups--those without overall height adjustment like some humbuckers--the polepieces serve not only to balance the strings, but to effectively raise the overall height of the pickup as well. Closer to the strings, the guitar sounds more "electric." Farther from the strings, and the excellent acoustic properties of the 5th Avenue come out. On my own Jazz, I currently embrace the acoustic tone and have the polepieces set in about flush with the floating pickup cover. If I want a more electric, compressed tone, I adjust the polepieces up to about a 1/16" clearance with the strings with the strings held down at the last fret.

To avoid a storm of protests that would detract from this thread, let me say now that I don't mean a 5th Avenue can sound just like a Benedetto or ES-125. I use those names above only to give a frame of reference to the tones I am seeking to describe.

User Info Menu

5th Avenues are great.
    I had the non-cut acoustic, to amplify it I had a Vintage Vibe floating CC pickup put on it. It was a seriously good guitar!
    Pretty decent acoustic sound for a laminated small bodied archtop too. It's one instrument I really regret selling.
    It'll really open up when you replace the plastic bridge with a nice ebony or rosewood one.

User Info Menu

Yep. It's a desert island guitar for sure.

I loved my cognac-burst Kingpin but sold it to buy another guitar. I missed it so much I got a black 5th Avenue and installed a GFS floater. I miss the P90, which was uniquely suited for that guitar, but at least I can amplify it if I need to.

It has some of the best ergonomics around--super light, comfortable body, smooth neck. I have kept mine strung with round too--DA Pure Nickels.

It's the little black dress of guitars--everyone should have at least one in their guitar closet.

User Info Menu

Godin = phenomenal bang for buck. I have their Multiac nylon encore and would consider their archtops, LPs, and teles, if I already didn't have too many...

User Info Menu

I've been talking up the Kingpin here for almost ten years, I think...and I still think they're the best "budget box" on the market. Remarkably good instruments.

User Info Menu

I'm with Jeff. I used to borrow one of these all the time. Great sound. And yes, a rosewood bridge is probably a worthwhile $20 upgrade.

User Info Menu

I just put an ebony Stewmac on my Ibanez and like it very much. Think I'll order a rosewood one for the Kingpin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I'm with Jeff. I used to borrow one of these all the time. Great sound. And yes, a rosewood bridge is probably a worthwhile $20 upgrade.
    The previous owner of mine put a rosewood bridge on it. Sounds good. I can't say whether it sounds different from the original.

John

User Info Menu

I changed the bridge on mine as well. I had sort of a metallic "ping" on notes, coming from the bridge/string length behind the bridge.

Wood bridge cleared that right up, but a piece of felt woven through the string probably would have too.

I did think, after fitting the wood bridge properly, there was a bit of an increase in acoustic volume.

User Info Menu

Congrats for the new axe! I have heard only good and excited reviews about Godins. I have almost got one for some times, mostly because P90 powered jazz guitars are a bit rarity. Maybe sooner than later...

Does somebody know records or songs that are recorded with Godin 5th Avenue jazz guitar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Congrats for the new axe! I have heard only good and excited reviews about Godins. I have almost got one for some times, mostly because P90 powered jazz guitars are a bit rarity. Maybe sooner than later...

Does somebody know records or songs that are recorded with Godin 5th Avenue jazz guitar?
    FYI, there'e actually a model called the 5th Avenue Jazz, which has a cutaway and a floating mini-humbucker. I assume, though, that you meant the one we're talking about here (the 5th Ave Kingpin), which has a set-in P90 and no cutaway. There's also a model called the 5th Ave Kingpin CW II (a cutaway and two P90s).

The only "name" I'm aware of who plays a Kingpin is Sylvain Luc (he also plays some other Godin models); there are a bunch of videos of him playing one on youtube, so search there.

User Info Menu

I had a 5th Avenue Jazz briefly and I have to say, I like the Kingpin better. For me....it feels better, sounds more interesting and looks cooler than the Jazz. I may do a short sound example of the Kingpin but so many others have done it far more justice than I probably can! As a concession, here's a pic of the now gone Jazz and the new Kingpin.
    Attached Images Attached Images Godin 5th Avenue-20181019_160249-01-jpg Godin 5th Avenue-img_20171117_132922-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    I had a 5th Avenue Jazz briefly and I have to say, I like the Kingpin better. For me....it feels better, sounds more interesting and looks cooler than the Jazz. I may do a short sound example of the Kingpin but so many others have done it far more justice than I probably can! As a concession, here's a pic of the now gone Jazz and the new Kingpin.
    I've wanted to try the Jazz because I'm curious as to what it's like acoustically vs the Kingpin, but never encountered one in the wild. That Godin "cognac burst" is very nice looking. A guy I know has the CW II in the color, and it looks great (sounds great too).

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I've wanted to try the Jazz because I'm curious as to what it's like acoustically vs the Kingpin, but never encountered one in the wild. That Godin "cognac burst" is very nice looking. A guy I know has the CW II in the color, and it looks great (sounds great too).

John
    Unamplified, the Jazz wasn't quite as mid-rangey and acoustic as the Kingpin. Neither sound particularly "good" acoustically, IMO. And I agree, the cognac finish is really really nice. The fact that the Jazz I had was a blonde never sat well with me. It was a very nicely made guitar just not my cup of tea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Unamplified, the Jazz wasn't quite as mid-rangey and acoustic as the Kingpin. Neither sound particularly "good" acoustically, IMO. And I agree, the cognac finish is really really nice. The fact that the Jazz I had was a blonde never sat well with me. It was a very nicely made guitar just not my cup of tea.
    Interesting. I would have thought the opposite given the floater vs set pickup (even though I realize the kingpin's top is not routed, just drilled for the pickup wire). I play mine unplugged a lot. The fact that it's not a full-on acoustic is a plus for me because I'm in a relatively small apartment and I try not to bother family and neighbors.

John

User Info Menu

Gray Sargent:

User Info Menu

The single-P90 Kingpin is still on my bucket list.... the Jazz interests me, and I'm torn being both a Charlie Christian and Johnny Smith fan, lol, but I like the "journeyman's" look of the Kingpin better, I think...

Are the bout sizes the same? Or is the Jazz a bit wider?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I'm in a relatively small apartment and I try not to bother family and neighbors.

John
    I am very fortunate. I leave lived in an apartment for more than 15 years (ex got the house, no surprise there) and like to play amplified at a reasonable level. I have never received a single complaint from neighbors or landlord. My apartment is directly over a storefront and the wife of the storeownet once told me "I love it when you serenade me while I work".

A nice compliment indeed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Gray Sargent:

I had a Cognac Jazz model for about a year. I thought that it was a great guitar and sounded very nicely balanced acoustically and electrically. However, the one thing that I didn't like was the neck-to-body joint. You can see it in the picture. The underside (the cut away area) has a sharp body ridge that doesn't follow the contour of the neck. It sticks out as part of the body. You can see it at the binding line in the photo. Not really what I wanted in a cut away, and I was kinda surprised that Godin went with this type of design. Almost everyone else smooths out that joint. I know that it isn't an oversight on Godin's part, but not the best way to deal with that joint IMHO.

User Info Menu

I have one and I really enjoy it. I'm thinking about replace the bridge only.

User Info Menu

All the 5th Avenues are good guitars. I have had several and currently have a Jazz and a straight acoustic one. I call them the Telecasters of archtops, because they're reletively inexpensive, easy to modify, and I can set one up to play like butter in about five minutes.

User Info Menu

Philip Catherine started playing a 5th Avenue Composer after using an ES-175 for may years:

User Info Menu

Saw Godin's post on Instagram and just wanted to give them props for the fact that they keep coming out with affordable, good quality, made in North America archtops.