The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 239

User Info Menu

I have that exact model pictured above. It stays on the couch and is my go to guitar for noodling while watching tv. They're a lot of fun to play

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have the P90 version - same as the acoustic except for the routed pickup. The acoustic version has brass strings, which gives it a brighter tone.

It is a very nice, comfortable guitar to play. Not extremely loud, but louder than most laminated jazz boxes. I had thought about getting the acoustic version and adding a pickup, either a floating bucker or an undersaddle piezo pickup. If I were buying again and could get a 5th Ave. for under $400, that's what I'd do.

As noted, the build quality is excellent, and it is an absolutely beautiful guitar.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 01-18-2012 at 10:52 PM.

User Info Menu

I play my Kingpin unplugged fairly often. While it clearly shines when amplified, it still sounds good to me when it's not. It is not a cannon, but it is very well balanced across the strings.

As a couch guitar, it is a reasonable second behind my Taylor GS Mini.

User Info Menu

My 5th Avenue arrived yesterday and I swapped out the strings and did a good setup on it. I don't have a Kingpin here so I can't do a side by side, but in the way of playability, this one plays as nicely as I remember the other one.

I love the look and feel of this guitar. It's a very nice neck and the body is comfortable to hold. The tone is decent, but a bit brighter than I'd prefer...different strings can address this to some extent. As for volume, there's really not a whole lot. I can't see this guitar cutting through any mix unplugged.

My take is that it's a very comfortable guitar with just the right amount of volume for solo practice and play, but without a pickup, I don't see it leaving the house much.

User Info Menu

I'm curious : does anyone actually expect an archtop like this to compete - tone and volume wise - with a traditional flat top guitar ?

User Info Menu

Well an archtop can have surprising volume...and tone is subjective...a flattop doesn't sound better...only different.

But I do hope nobody expects too much volume out of the fifth ave or kingpin...it's a small, relatively shallow, laminated box.

I'd actually say it is pretty loud considering!

Still great guitars...played my kingpin this morning.

User Info Menu

On your playing style, intended use, strings and setup.
    I had a 5th ave 1P90 kingpin, and now I own a no pickup one. I strung the kingpin with flats 12 and later with Thomastik 13s. I got the action to be medium and mostly used a 5mm wegen pick. Results were very good for comping, but for soloing I felt it needed more punch when acoustically played. Amplified sound was great. Months later I got a full blown, all solid mahogany Heritage Eagle, gorgeous guitar, 17 inches and all goodies. Guess what, I found that to make it sing it needed strings 13-56 and NOT the thomastik ones as they have low tension, but the regular chromes. With that setup and medium action, the guitar would be playing awesome. Mind you, not like butter, thick strings made up for a right hand workout when playing full chords. On a side note, I think that I discovered why swing guys play with three finger chords!!!
    Loved the guitar but was too much physical exercise for a joyful experience, so I sold it.
    Things happen for a reason, so I got the 5th ave no pickup, put daddario rounds 13-56 and set a medium action...voila! Great, full archtop sound when swing comping with the thumb and high volume soloing with a pick. And no, there is no viceversa, comping with a pick is thin and soloing with fingers has no volume. However, comping with thumb and pick works great (GJ technique).
    Remember that it being an acoustic guitar responds to your every nuance, subletly, angle, touch, style, experience etc. In other words, not sounding like django or freddie green is not the guitar's fault!
    Im happy with the 5th ave and plan to keep it for Gypsy Jazz jams and for my big band rhythm guitar gig, cheers!!!

Btw, im not a godin endorsee, but this is my 5th godin!!! Realky amazing quality, value and price, specially on the used market

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    I'm curious : does anyone actually expect an archtop like this to compete - tone and volume wise - with a traditional flat top guitar ?
    I've played my Kingpin unamplified a few times comping for singers in low-volume situations.Though it is laminate construction, some of the design features (light weight, non-cutaway, raised fingerboard) tend to enhance its acoustic properties. Not in the same league as a D-28 or even my Eastman 810, but not bad for an electric archtop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    I don't expect it to compete with a flat top, but it seems that I should be getting more volume out of it for what it is. The fact that the stock bridge isn't making full contact with the top may be causing it to come up short of its potential. I also think a rosewood bridge would help with my tonal preferences but may or may not affect volume.

This isn't my first archtop acoustic. It's the most comfortable of what I've had, but also the quietest.

User Info Menu

I have a KingpinIICW and an Aria FA71. They, along with the 70 and solid top 77 are great bang for the buck guitars. Godin makes the 5th Ave. acoustic, Kingpin(no cut away, single pick up) and the Kingpin IIcw with two set P-90's. They recently added 2 or 3 more models in the $1000+ range.

Godin 5th Avenue-godin-5th-avenue-kingpin-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RoyaleT
    I have a KingpinIICW and an Aria FA71. They, along with the 70 and solid top 77 are great bang for the buck guitars. Godin makes the 5th Ave. acoustic, Kingpin(no cut away, single pick up) and the Kingpin IIcw with two set P-90's. They recently added 2 or 3 more models in the $1000+ range.
    i'm trying to figure out what makes the 5th Avenue Jazz worth $1900.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
    i'm trying to figure out what makes the 5th Avenue Jazz worth $1900.
    I think Godin said--hey, we'll make a guitar with top quality laminates and sell it for half of what a Gibson 175 goes for.

Looks like folks aren't seeing that as such a bargain, though...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think Godin said--hey, we'll make a guitar with top quality laminates and sell it for half of what a Gibson 175 goes for.

Looks like folks aren't seeing that as such a bargain, though...
    i think it's just because the price is so much higher than the rest of the 5th Avenues.

User Info Menu

yes, but it differs in many details of construction. There is a video on YouTube where Robert Godin briefly explains it and also talks about the model that has a Bigsby. It is really not that these are all the same guitars with just a few bells and whistles that are different. One feature is a thicker top. Apologies, i am traveling right now and cannot find that video but i am sure it is not hard to find on YouTube. But it is true that people at Godin could and should do a better job explaining to the jazz community why the jazz model is so much more expensive.

While i absolutely love Godin guitars (have six of them) the only one i still cannot manage to bond strongly with is my Kingpin. I am also not particularly tempted by the jazz.

User Info Menu

Dear Friends,

it depends

I can say why and what I like in Godin I should at least explain what he’s after
    I saw terrible demos of guitar that actually sounded fine in my hands and saw very nice performance on the guitar that I dislike…
    Some say “bad acoustically” meaning “too low”, others meaning “not metallic enough”,”not ringing”…
    I had often seen the guys cursing nylon and I took that after them and showd how that thing might sound.
    I used to play classical guitar as a small boy – and also played jazz on piano and electric guitar, later I went for renaissance and baroque lute which is my main musical practice now.
    But I still kept fond affection for jazz, from time to time I like improvising and playing staff alone or with some of my friends if it happens, in technique I use all I have obtained from classics and jazz guitar practice and also lute performances… but I never play with plectrum, tried to, but feel better and more interesting in fingerstyle (without nails).
    I used my classics for that jazz practice with a little bit softer lute-like right hand osition and without nails, once I thought about looking for an archtop – not necessarily the top model, but something nice both in acoustical tone and amplified.
    I tried quite a few – Gretsch, Epiphone, Eastman, Ibanez, cheaper guitars like Washbun, Burny, Cort, Loar and other staff… I tried lots of metal string acoustics – from Gypsy Django boxes to westerns
    Frankly, nothing suited me acoustically.
    Yes, I got used to classical guitar touch and sound… to me it is the best acoustic staff, the best amplitude of the sound, the best control of it… the best quality of sound in nuances.
    Most of the metal string acoustics and archtops have thin tone – very often uneven in bass, medium and high, dynamics and touch nuances are very rough. The boxes are too big for the sound that makes me feel uncomfortable (like I am holding piano in my hand which plays like banjo), necks mostly also not comfortable for the purpose. I know maybe these requirements are not for those kind of guitars, but that’s me.
    Then I ran across that Godin 5th ave… yes, it is modest, not very loud instrument, but iy combined a few qualitied that enchated me
    1) The acoustic sound is not loud, a little bit dull, but distinct, chord voicing sound very compact and clear – all this with fingerstyle only, it depends on how you play it
    2) Not small but compact very comfortable to hold and play – close to classical guitar feel in that sense, I would say very intimate (other archtops seemed always – say, “outside of me”, not together
    3) Very well built and prepared for performance – all set up firm and clean, and no chocolate and jam glassy finish))) – just nice warm woods
    4) Amplified – well to me the best it sounds like early amplified jazz guitar… a little dry but warm sound - not Motgomery but - maybe Joe Pass on Virtuoso

Summary: fine chamber archtop, can fit also in small groups (even acoustically if you can take it ou of it)))) – and it is good if you’re used to classical guitar construction, very well-built
    For big concert box you should try other option.
    Maybe I’ll change my mind in time but this is a guitar to stay

All that about acoustic and Kingpin (with P90) models only.
    Last edited by Jonah; 02-09-2012 at 09:35 AM.

I've been playing a godin 5th Avenue Acoustic (no cutaaway) for a couple of years and love its playability. Indeed, I prefer it to my '72 Gibson ES-175 for playing comfort. I fabricated a rosewood finger rest based on the Godin's original plastic, adding a Benedetto floating pickup as well as a Fishman archtop bridge piezo, along with a stereo endping jack. I wasn't entirely happy with the Benedetto set up, so I fabricated a new finger rest that is only about an inch wide and installed a Kent Armstrong scre-to-the neck pickup, still using the stereo endpin. I run a TRS cable to an Ultrasound DI Max dual channel DI and go directly into my small mixer rather than using a separate guitar amp. This set up works well for my solo acoustic jazz gigs.

Because the Godin is realtively inexpensive, I have not felt bad about modifying it. In contrast, I hate to do anything to the ES-175 that might diminish its value. But, agaain, I very much prefer the playabilty of the Godin, and am happy with the tone I'm getting with the dual pickup setup. The floating pickup and bridge pickup together give a natural acoutsitc "woody" (snicker) sound than the -175's humbuckers, better suiting my solo guitar-vocal vintage jazz standards act.

User Info Menu

Hey, this is Robert Godin's explanation about the 5th Avenue Jazz you were talking about, and it seems about wright, there's a big difference in the quality of the construction.

Last edited by Monster82; 04-25-2013 at 12:39 PM.

User Info Menu

has anyone ever done a hands on comparison between the godins and the gretsch g100? i have the gretsch acoustic,non cutaway and added a floating hb. never had the chance toplay either the kingpin or 5th ave.

User Info Menu

The non cutaway, acoustic only 5th Ave is a fien guitar, IMNSHO faor superieor to any of the Loars, or Gretsch.

It is important to fit the bridge to the top... the plastic wunderbridge made by tusq, is an improperly cast eiece of plastic that does not fit the top. GODIN claims it is superior to the formerly used rosewood bridge and more expensive to manufacture. Nice story. It still does not fit the top, use the business card test on the wings and corners.

Fit the bridge to the top, or better yet get a Stew Mac rosewood bridge and fit it to the top.

Then, put on 12's if not 13's. This makes a huge difference.

Were I to buy another modestly priced archtop, it would be a 5th Ave non cut non electric.

Neither of the Kingpins sounds the same as the 5th acoustic.

I liked them so much I gave one to my grandson.

User Info Menu

Quality wise, I can agree, but acoustic tone wise the Loars are wimners...IF you like the sound of an acoustic archtop.

But again, beating Godin's quality in that price range is pretty much impossible.

User Info Menu

I owned an acoustic 5th Avenue for a while. It can be made loud acoustically, but most aren't willing to use size 13 strings and bang the hell out of it. That's what archtops were designed for...cutting though horns with rhythm chords.
    Regardless, it does make a better electric than acoustic. I installed two different pickups on mine. First, an Armstrong floating min. That was awful. A very lifeless and dull sounding pickup.
    Next was an old gold foil pickup. That sounded pretty good.

User Info Menu

I wonder if changing the 'tusk' bridge to a rosewood model would have much impact on the
    electric sound of the Godin Kingpin?

User Info Menu

I tred that...no change in the electric tone, greatly reduced "pinging" from behind the bridge unplugged, and after well fitted, increased bass response unplugged. No noticeable change in volume, overall worthwhile though.

User Info Menu

Well, it looks like this gentleman enjoys it a lot and one must admit that the tone is very pleasant:

User Info Menu

Not acoustic, but interesting what this guy did to his 5th Avenue.