The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 239

User Info Menu

I just started using an acoustic 5th Avenue that has been fitted with a neck-mounted Johnny Smith-style Bartolini pickup and I love it. It plays great and feels a lot better to me than the Loars. The acoustic sound is good and the amplified sound retains the acoustic properties, but with a little more warmth.

I could have gotten a similar effect with a 5th Avenue Jazz with the floater, but they cost a lot more than my base 5th Avenue with the modification. I like the old-school finish and non-cutaway on the base model, but if I ever see a killer deal on a Jazz, I'll go for it in a heartbeat.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll say this again: If they made a cutaway version of the acoustic, it would be the perfect "project" archtop. Just put in whatever pickup you want, p90, floater, humbucker, etc... for a great price.

Doesn't anyone agree with me? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Hope ya dig it henry...in my opinion, it's the ultimate "worry free archtop."
    I,m still very much a novice ,I traded-in two other guitars for the Godin , a Telecaster Modern and my JHS Vintage 575. and I,m delighted with the swap .I have put on Elixir 11s but will replace them with 12s soon as they are a bit bright to my ears ...hb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nosoyninja
    I'll say this again: If they made a cutaway version of the acoustic, it would be the perfect "project" archtop. Just put in whatever pickup you want, p90, floater, humbucker, etc... for a great price.

Doesn't anyone agree with me? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

K
    The idea is interesting, I'm considering buying a used 5th avenue for a very good price, if possible, and potentially afterwards add a pickup, although I like its acoustic tone from what I could hear on the net so far. The quality issues of The Loar's guitars made me disregard that option even though opinions raised here and there advise of more volume and a better tone (well, to paraphrase Mr Beaumont, more of an archtop tone). Budget and quality wise, I could not expand my wish list to something else than the 5th avenue, especially when considering future modifications.

User Info Menu

Trying the guitar with a Fender Champ 600 , I found that the feed-back was too much to put up with so it will be offered for sale .And again playing through a ZT Lunchbox with an extension cab, feedback was still present at higher volumes , this will also be offered for sale. My marshall as50d amp gave a better account at all levels any unwanted noise was easily EQd out. So this will be my go to amp for the time being, what do other Kingpin owners recommend .Thanks for any input sic.

User Info Menu

Turn down! It's an archtop.

kidding aside, I find the kingpin to be pretty good about feedback...but if you're going to play loud, you gotta adjust where you are in relationship to the amp...and if you're going to play distorted, buy a Tele.

User Info Menu

En passant, Sylvain Luc plays the 5th avenue Kingpin:

Live (amazing performance, great sound):

Last edited by Aant; 08-04-2013 at 01:49 PM.

User Info Menu

The 5th Avenues don't seem to be too picky about the amp they're played through. I've never played guitars that are so versatile. They can sound "electric" if you roll the tone down and play towards the neck. If you want to sound more "acoustic" just set the tone for more treble and/or play more towards the bridge. A nice acoustic amp sounds great and will bring out the acoustic qualities. An electric guitar amp will make it sound more electric. It just depends on what you want from the guitar. I play my acoustic 5th Avenue with floater through an Acoustic Image Corus. Sounds great to me. I'm not trying to make it sound like a 175.

User Info Menu

Guitar is now 55 percent off and under $800 for a $1,700 guitar. Every now and then, I wonder if Amazon just misprices things.

User Info Menu

There is a used Kingpin ll CW at a California Guitar Center for $549. I bought my KPll from Reno GC for that much + $20 shipping two years ago, and am happy as a clam about it. And in Pasadena GC a Kingpin P90 for $449. Mays Landing , NJ for $399.
    Last edited by RoyaleT; 01-04-2014 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added to post

User Info Menu

Trying out an amp yesterday I borrowed one of the store's archtops, a Kingpin, and was reminded again what a joy it is to play. The neck is far and away the most comfortable for my hands out there. I think the beveled edges on the fretboard is a big part of the nice feel.

I really miss the one I sold last year. I will probably get another Godin sometime soon.

User Info Menu

I'm seriously considering a Godin Fifth avenue.

But I'd like to know the differences between the Kingpin and the Composer. One has a P90, the other a humbucker. The one has a cut-away, the other doesn't. That about sums it up?

User Info Menu

And a gloss top on the Composer.

I've seen em lightly used for under a grand...

Ya gotta remember, when the Kingpin came out, it was an $800 guitar...now you can find em for a lot less, particularly when sold without a case. So the price difference isn't as huge.

I'd really like to play a compser...see what that Godin humbucker sounds like in person. Certainly don't need another guitar in this style, but I love it's simplicity...would make for a great worry free gig instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ... don't need another guitar in this style, but I love it's simplicity ... would make for a great worry free gig instrument.
    I played a new 5th Avenue Composer GT acoustically - but didn't get a chance to plug it in - yesterday. Somewhat plain looking but still looked nice and felt very nice and was tonally well balanced acoustically despite the too-skinny stock strings. Selling for around $1K or just slightly higher I think, it's definitely worth a try if you get the chance.

User Info Menu

I was very hopeful that the Composer would be a 175 killer. The specs are kind of similar. But I played the Composer, the Jazz, and a 175 1959 VOS back to back and was a little surprised. the 175 sounded the best, of course, but the Jazz sounded better to me than the Composer. The Jazz tone was thicker, even with the floater.

User Info Menu

I can vouch for that floater on the jazz...it's excellent. My guess is most folks wouldn't think it was a floater, if they just heard it.

Actually, across the board, the 5th av. Jazz is just an outstanding guitar.

User Info Menu

I love my base acoustic 5th Avenue with the add-on, neck-mounted Bartolini Johnny Smith-style floater.

User Info Menu

Feast yer peepers on this lot....

Nice.
    Last edited by jazzbow; 10-31-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Predictive texas

User Info Menu

I've never understood why, all these years, most demos of the 5th Ave and KP guitars were flatop acoustic/blues-rock oriented. Like no one is buying these lower models for "jazz". I"f it's acoustic, play folk songs, if it's got a P90 crank up the gain." Like only the high-end humbucker models are "good for jazz".

I mean- I UNDERSTAND it- they're trying to sell more guitars. But I don't agree with it. Maybe there just aren't enough of us old-school jazz/Charlie Christian fans to worry about...

User Info Menu

Nothing in those videos would win me over, but I guess I'm not their target audience. I doubt many of us here are.

User Info Menu

Truth is, they are great jazz guitars. Ask Jim Soloway. I have a Godin Montreal Premiere which has great jazz tone. However, Godin knows that many young people will buy them for their "cool" looks alone as hollow bodies and F holes are in. Not enough jazz guitarists around.

User Info Menu

How about this Rob ?

User Info Menu

I have both a Composer and a Kingpin II. They have their own tonal vibe and it's probably not going to be the thing that makes everyone here happy but I enjoy both ... a lot. They lean towards brighter basic tone with more clarity and acoustic presence than a lot of people here prefer but it works well for me. Here are a few examples of what I've done with my two and you can judge for yourself whether you're really in their target audience.

The Composer

The Kingpin II

And one that compares the two.

Last edited by Jim Soloway; 10-29-2016 at 05:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Great videos, Jim!!! I always prefer the P90 on these Godins, always. Just personal taste, of course.

Do you ever use the bridge pickup on the KPII? (Because if you don't) I was wondering why you chose the II over the regular KP?

I wanted a KPII for awhile, and got to play one locally, but never pulled the trigger. But NOW, a full-hollow archtop P90, I'm not so sure I would ever use the bridge pickup... ALL my other guitars have bridge pickups... and so am now re-considering the regular Kingpin. It's cheaper, and I like the aesthetic better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Great videos, Jim!!! I always prefer the P90 on these Godins, always. Just personal taste, of course.

Do you ever use the bridge pickup on the KPII? (Because if you don't) I was wondering why you chose the II over the regular KP?

I wanted a KPII for awhile, and got to play one locally, but never pulled the trigger. But NOW, a full-hollow archtop P90, I'm not so sure I would ever use the bridge pickup... ALL my other guitars have bridge pickups... and so am now re-considering the regular Kingpin. It's cheaper, and I like the aesthetic better.
    Thanks. I never use the bridge pickup on anything. I have the Kingpin ii because I'm not comfortable playing a guitar without a cutaway. If they offered the cutaway body with a single pickup, that would probably be my choice. I should also probably note that the used prices on these guitars is very low and living in Canada, the prices are even lower. You can pickup a Kingpin ii here for under $700 CDN (about $525 US)