The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 68

User Info Menu

Possible 50's ES175nt (P90s) deal in progress. Last time I posted it the seller back out.
    Keep your fingers crossed for me fellas... Santa knows I've been good, so...

Big

1957 Gibson ES-175 Natural-22528927_10155143962642239_7373055740805235190_o-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 12-19-2017 at 02:14 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fingers crossed. What a beauty!

User Info Menu

the waiting is the hardest part

hah

luck
    cheers

User Info Menu

Oh wow- that's an absolute stunner!
    The bigsby looks great too - would be a superb guitar for travis-picking.

User Info Menu

hope it works out Mike.
    personally I'd have told him to pound sand after the stuff he pulled before, but ymmv

User Info Menu

Fingers crossed for you!

User Info Menu

Best of luck, Big!

User Info Menu

I get messages very late at night from him, the latest was late Saturday night that he had all day Sunday to pack it and would ship it FedEx overnight and provide me with the tracking info on Monday.

As for why he didn't ship it and refunded my money the first time is all speculation. For me the good news is it was relisted and I'm taking him at his word he will do what he says... I looked around over and over for a mid 50s double P90 blonde ES175 (preferably with the "pasta roller" Bigsby as Max405 calls it) and they're aren't many. I want the guitar for more than jazz, this one just hits a nerve (in a very 50's nice way), it rekindles my memories of rock and roll as it blossomed in the mid 50s and onward.

I'll keep you posted. THUS THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD... And thanks for all the continued good wishes fellas.

Big

PS: to the person that posted that great Tom Petty photo, is there a video that this comes from I may watch ??
    Thanks in advance.

Update:
    Guitar is packed and ready to go. My friend in the Shipping Department starts later in the day so I will not have a tracking number for you until this afternoon/evening (6:00pm?). Shipment will go out today for overnight delivery tomorrow.Thanks,
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 12-18-2017 at 12:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Another member of the Blonds team!

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    I want the guitar for more than jazz, this one just hits a nerve (in a very 50's nice way), it rekindles my memories of rock and roll as it blossomed in the mid 50s and onward.
    Mikey, That about says it all. Now I believe you should have this guitar.
    You might like this guitar better than all the others you have. Like I said, it looks just like the guitar I grew up on, minus the pasta machine hanging off the back. Now all you need is a tweed Fender Vibrolux and you are all set..
    Make sure you get yourself a right angle patch cord, if you don't already have one. The output jacks on this guitar were not re-inforced and the rim can crack down there very easily.

I would love to hear what one of these 175's would feel/sound like with Medium Jumbo frets. That's as good as it gets.

Pumped for you bro..

Joe D

User Info Menu

Big, Congrats on the 175!

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    ".....I would love to hear what one of these 175's would feel/sound like with Medium Jumbo frets. That's as good as it gets.

Pumped for you bro..

Joe D
    Joe, that's the 1st thing I did when I acquire my '55. And, It's as good as it gets! BTW, what's up with the photo upload? It's a total pain in the arse.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1957 Gibson ES-175 Natural-55-72-jpg 

User Info Menu

Congrats in advance Mike. The 175 is just a great guitar and the 50's examples are superb. And blond archtops are the prettiest girls at the party. Merry Christmas!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Congrats in advance Mike. The 175 is just a great guitar and the 50's examples are superb. And blond archtops are the prettiest girls at the party. Merry Christmas!
    Totally agree Marco.
    Although the new VSB with the red on the edges might be sexiest. Makes you feel like you are doing something wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Joe, that's the 1st thing I did when I acquire my '55. And, It's as good as it gets!
    Sky, I thought so..
    Man your 175s are beautiful.
    The original design of the 175, Mature seasoned wood combined with the magic of Medium Jumbo frets can really be the recipe for the perfect Jazz Guitar. And don't forget.. You can play ANYTHING on a 24-3/4" scale.
    JD

User Info Menu

Sure is a beauty Big Mike!!! Good luck!!! Bob

User Info Menu

Big Mike's Guitar Emporium ("May I help you?"):

User Info Menu

The stars are aligned, Big Mike. This will happen. It's a beautiful guitar with a great honey blond finish.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

Yahoo boys !! I got a working tracking number from the seller.
    Will advise when she's here. Weather will only get down into the 40s tonight and maintain that and be higher by a bit all day Tuesday. YEAH !!!

Big

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Possible 50's ES175nt (P90s) deal in progress. Last time I posted it the seller back out.
    Keep your fingers crossed for me fellas... Santa knows I've been good, so...

Big

1957 Gibson ES-175 Natural-22528927_10155143962642239_7373055740805235190_o-jpg
    Congrats, that is a beauty!

Whats the deal with the pu selector? Shouldn’t it have that large rubber grommet in a 50’s ES-175? Or is there different variations?

User Info Menu

?There's no grommet on mine, or on the ones I was watching on Reverb or eBay, wasn't a grommet on my '39 L5P either. Don't know when those came along, maybe Wintermoon or one of the other more knowledgable members can weigh in... What I DO KNOW IS I am pumped this sucker will be part of the menagerie...

Big

User Info Menu

Now I got it: Adrian Ingram writes in his ES175 book that the rubber grommet came in 1957. With the new tailpiece and the humbuckers.

Radical year!

User Info Menu

Why would there be a grommet on a 1939 L-5P, which has no pickups at all, let alone a need to switch between them?

Anyway... fws6 owns my old '57 ES-175DN, which had no grommet. The grommet came in 1958 actually, if one believes the published lore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Why would there be a grommet on a 1939 L-5P, which has no pickups at all, let alone a need to switch between them?

Anyway... fws6 owns my old '57 ES-175DN, which had no grommet. The grommet came in 1958 actually, if one believes the published lore.
    When I sent this off to Pete Moreno to fix the electronics he said the entire setup was original. He was sort of the Dirty Harry of Gibson; “every dirty stinking job that comes along’’ like doing the CC pickup installs. I had him do a new harness and setup, I have the original harness. He buffed a lot of bar smoke off this sucker. It’s real sweet sounding. I prefer a mixed wound: neck pickup at 6, bridge pickup at 4 and my Texas Flood amp at 7, which is pretty loud - it was one owner, who bought it new in 1940 - later passed away in 1962 - he left it to his little brother who wasn’t a player. Sold it to cousins husband in 2015, then I got it in 2016 thru Jay Wolfe. Spent 52 years in a closet.

1957 Gibson ES-175 Natural-a56e802c-e572-40f1-9660-daf48d143e5f-jpg1957 Gibson ES-175 Natural-ef342ab1-2815-494b-92eb-dea449536393-jpg

User Info Menu

Good luck Big! Great temps for shipping. Fingers crossed for you!

Roli

User Info Menu

I go weak kneed over blondes :-)

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=BigMikeinNJ;827753]When I sent this off to Pete Moreno to fix the electronics he said the entire setup was original. He was sort of the Dirty Harry of Gibson; “every dirty stinking job that comes along’’ like doing the CC pickup installs. I had him do a new harness and setup, I have the original harness. He buffed a lot of bar smoke off this sucker. It’s real sweet sounding. I prefer a mixed wound: neck pickup at 6, bridge pickup at 4 and my Texas Flood amp at 7, which is pretty loud - it was one owner, who bought it new in 1940 - later passed away in 1962 - he left it to his little brother who wasn’t a player. Sold it to cousins husband in 2015, then I got it in 2016 thru Jay Wolfe. Spent 52 years in a closet.

[/QUOTE

That is just hideously awesome. It's one thing to sort of mess up a sacred icon like an L5... but there comes a point where the mods are so extreme that you just have to take your hat off and salute. This would be one of those! Amazing. That L5 was a great platform for all kinds of mayhem.