The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Oh, hi guys
    I need a good electric guitar to study jazz and from what I've seen I can conclude that it's common to have to adjust the guitar after the purchase.
    The three guitars that seem good to me are:
    1- Epiphone Emperor-II Pro Joe Pass
    2- Ibanez AF75G Artcore
    3- Gretsch G25622T Electromatic

I'm open for sugestions.
    And thank you, in advance.

EDIT: I usually go for a dark and mellow tone, but I need to versatile enough to do some bright fusion stuff. I listen mostly to Pat Martino, Pat Metheny, Jim Hall, John McLaughlin and Joe Pass. I don't know much yet.
    Last edited by DiogoFaria; 12-17-2017 at 02:02 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DiogoFaria
    Oh, hi guys
    I need a good electric guitar to study jazz and from what I've seen I can conclude that it's common to have to adjust the guitar after the purchase.
    The three guitars that seem good to me are:
    1- Epiphone Sherato-II Pro Joe Pass
    2- Ibanez AF75G Artcore
    3- Gretsch G25622T Electromatic

I'm open for sugestions.
    And thank you, in advance.
    hello Diogo,
    I had a good experience with an Ibanez AF105NT (discontinued), for 800€ you can find a very correct used jazz guitar (but I don't know what's available in Portugal),
    good luck!
    Michel

Envoyé de mon SM-A520F en utilisant Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have both a Sheraton II (if you mean the epiphone joe pass model, that's the emperor, not sheraton) and an AF75. Both guitars are good, and although the AF75 is more aimed towards a traditional jazz market, I'd go for the Sheraton. Mine's got better frets and gorgeous details, plus I think the pickups sound a bit more lively. A semi's a good allrounder, whereas a box might be more limited to a traditional sound.

User Info Menu

I have an Epi Joe Pass. It's a terrific guitar for the price. No one is going to mistake it for something high-end, but the sound is good and it plays quite nicely.

User Info Menu

look at some hofners!

cheers

User Info Menu

If you can get the Ibanez PM2 for 800 euros, you will have a fantastic jazz guitar. Highly recommended.

User Info Menu

if you are going to study jazz specifically, i would suggest a full hollow body rather than a semi hollow. Less versatile, but a lot more authentic, and this does make a difference when approaching a music style.

From the ones you suggested, i would prefer the two first ones. But with a budget of 800 you can do a lot better, buying something used.

User Info Menu

Check out Tanglewood/Cort Yorktown

Best Jazz guitar for under 800 euros?-_86-jpg
    I found this on Gumtree for £(€)300.

Best Jazz guitar for under 800 euros?-s-l500-jpg
    This one is on ebay for £(€)200!

User Info Menu

You could play jazz on a telecaster... what sound are you aiming for and who do you like to listen to?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    You could play jazz on a telecaster... what sound are you aiming for and who do you like to listen to?
    That is what I went in here to say after seing the thread title

I would alway recommend buying used, where 800€ can get a used am std most likely with cash to spare.

If it has to be a new guitar you won't get a us model, but plenty of great modesl from the Squier Classic Vibe's to the Fender Mex models, if you hunt for deal maybe you can sqeeze in a Baja.

User Info Menu

My partso only cost 200 bucks and a squier tele as a trade

User Info Menu

If it's gotta be a hollowbody, Godin Kingpin. All the glossy faux abalone Epiphones/Ibanezes/whatever aren't even in the same ballpark.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    If it's gotta be a hollowbody, Godin Kingpin. All the glossy faux abalone Epiphones/Ibanezes/whatever aren't even in the same ballpark.
    +1
    Had a 5th Avenue acoustic with a floating CC pickup - it's as good as guitars costing 2-3 times as much.
    Should never have sold it.

User Info Menu

To go from mellow to fusion stuff all in one guitar, I think like Christian and Lobomov that a telecaster might be your best bet. Overdriven sounds on my Epi Broadway (another nice budget archtop to consider BTW) are not nice, and she starts howling as soon as I look at the overdrive…

For added versatility, a Baja 50s or 60s (according to your tastes in necks and boards) might give you a “sort of humbucker” sound (the two PUs in series) in addition to the classic tele sounds. I would consider it if I were you. You can find one, used, for not much really and they’re great guitars.

I’d say: at least check out a tele (after religiously watching Tim Lerch’s video on how to get jazz sounds on one… or you might go to the shop and not know what to do…).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    I’d say: at least check out a tele (after religiously watching Tim Lerch’s video on how to get jazz sounds on one… or you might go to the shop and not know what to do…).
    Ahh yes .. Had forgotten about Tim's vids. Why not post them here?

How to get jazz sounds:

Tele vs. Archtop quiz:

But if it has to be hollow I by all means second the mr. beaumont suggestion of a Godin Kingpin

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

If you are considering an Epi ES 175, consider the recent model ES-175 Premium. I started a thread here recently asking about Epi Es 175s in general and the Premium got quite a bit of love. I was considering a local one in Wine Red but it sold prior to me having a chance to check it out. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Hi Rob ,

I saw on other posts that you have experience also with Godin .

I am in the process of buying my 1st archtop.

I have been offered a pretty good deal on Godin Kingpin 2 with p90's.

I just saw that the 2nd guitar I had considered and debated travelling to T.A to see the Ibanez PM2aa
    reduced ( in store model ) .
    I can get it for $250 less than the Godin .

It is quite a long jorney and with the Corona I am mulling .

I found the Godin very light and comfortable..except for the small frets .

I guess I would get used to that.
    I have a Alhambra P8 and a Gibson J35..
    It took a while to get used to the Gibson but I love her now .

Any advice appreciated .
    As a newbie which is more playable ?

Does one have better acoustic sound ?

Cheers
    Mai

User Info Menu

Mai, I didn't like the Godin, but loved the Ibanez. But, importantly, they are very different guitars, and the Ibanez was more in line with what I was looking for at the time. The Godin has a better acoustic sound, the Ibanez more an electric sound, though soft and mellow. The necks are very different too, with the PM2 being slightly smaller and very easy to get around on. But you are asking which is the best of two very different guitars, and you have to be more certain what kind of guitar you really want.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 07-16-2020 at 01:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

I guess I need to try out the Ibanez..

Mai