The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

You’re in business with that setup. How’s the string balance with the monels? I might throw some of those on to test it out.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yes!!!
    My thoughts exactly, especially when I fired up the amp and heard that the pickup worked fine

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    One thing about my Loar that I've noticed.... The guitar plays in, wakes up. I honestly think some of that vintage tone you hear in old archtops comes from old wood that's been played in over the years.... Anyway, mine has certainly matured in the 4 or so years I've had it....
    This is a very encouraging thought. My own is a 2014, so it has had some time to ‘open up’ (even though my impression is that in its previous life it had barely been strummed)

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    You’re in business with that setup. How’s the string balance with the monels? I might throw some of those on to test it out.
    When the PU is aligned properly, string balance is very good. B is slightly prominent, but nothing to worry about. I bought monel specifically because an old DeA AD recommended it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    This is a very encouraging thought. My own is a 2014, so it has had some time to ‘open up’ (even though my impression is that in its previous life it had barely been strummed)
    This is very subjective, but my feeling is you need to play the guitar hard for a bit before it starts to really open up.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    This is very subjective, but my feeling is you need to play the guitar hard for a bit before it starts to really open up.
    Zat is exaktly the plan ;D

User Info Menu

Hey man, I'm stoked you not only got a bargain on a LH-700, but also found an FHC. Awesome!

And thanks for all the "fan club" members, ha!

Yeah, I took both the ES-150 and the L-5 to Seoul the first year, but the tailpiece on the ES-150 had started to crack before our gig the following year, so I just took the L-5 with the FHC. Both times I was just playing into a Reissue Twin Reverb (not my normal kind of amp, for sure), and both pickup worked pretty good with it. I'd actually give the edge to the FHC.

But, yeah, the more you play the guitar, the more it'll open up. It was amazing how much playing a whole evening of rhythm guitar on a gig totally opened up the 1939 L-5 I just got. It'd been sitting in it's case for a couple of months waiting to be sold. And it was impressive how much more open it was the next morning.

Plus, a proper set up and strings are crucial. I'm wary of always recommending the highest action or heaviest strings, but you got get at least enough tension to put that top in motion, and enough action so that the strings have room to oscillate when you thump it. I just checked the other day, and I'm 4/64" on the treble side and 6/64" on the bass at the 12th fret, with an almost perfectly straight neck. Of course, nut slots and bridge height are also part of the formula. But, as I understand it, that's not crazy-high action - definitely not Freddie Green territory. I have 12's (with a 14/18 swapped in on top) on my 1932 L-5, because it's so sensitive, it doesn't really benefit from the increased tension. But the 1939 really roars with 13's (again with a 14/18).

Anyway, congrats! You've basically got the ideal working acoustic/electric swing guitar rig.

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Hey man, I'm stoked you not only got a bargain on a LH-700, but also found an FHC. Awesome!

And thanks for all the "fan club" members, ha!

Yeah, I took both the ES-150 and the L-5 to Seoul the first year, but the tailpiece on the ES-150 had started to crack before our gig the following year, so I just took the L-5 with the FHC. Both times I was just playing into a Reissue Twin Reverb (not my normal kind of amp, for sure), and both pickup worked pretty good with it. I'd actually give the edge to the FHC.

But, yeah, the more you play the guitar, the more it'll open up. It was amazing how much playing a whole evening of rhythm guitar on a gig totally opened up the 1939 L-5 I just got. It'd been sitting in it's case for a couple of months waiting to be sold. And it was impressive how much more open it was the next morning.

Plus, a proper set up and strings are crucial. I'm wary of always recommending the highest action or heaviest strings, but you got get at least enough tension to put that top in motion, and enough action so that the strings have room to oscillate when you thump it. I just checked the other day, and I'm 4/64" on the treble side and 6/64" on the bass at the 12th fret, with an almost perfectly straight neck. Of course, nut slots and bridge height are also part of the formula. But, as I understand it, that's not crazy-high action - definitely not Freddie Green territory. I have 12's (with a 14/18 swapped in on top) on my 1932 L-5, because it's so sensitive, it doesn't really benefit from the increased tension. But the 1939 really roars with 13's (again with a 14/18).

Anyway, congrats! You've basically got the ideal working acoustic/electric swing guitar rig.
    Thanks Jonathan! Your advice has been really precious, and I’ll keep following eagerly your posts here, your blog, and your music. By the way: I love the new record and your playing on it.

PS: my action is currently at around 7/64’’ with 13s. It’s ok, but my left hand feels it. In time, and with a fret dressing in January, I might come down a bit and perhaps switch to 12s… Thanks for posting your set-up!
    Last edited by radiofm74; 12-13-2017 at 07:06 PM.

“Trad & Swing Jazz” jam night, and the Loar + Guitar Mike have behaved wonderfully. I mean, I have played better than ever (which does not mean very well), and this was due mostly to woodshedding – but the sound and feel of the guitar was super inspirational.

Even plugged in a Hot Rod Deluxe – not my favorite by any stretch of the imagination – the electric sound was great and very appropriate for the repertoire. When playing rhythm I went into a mike and, listening back to an absolutely crappy recording I’ve made of a song on my iPhone, I was actually too loud. I’ll have to be more careful about that. But the rhythm tone was also all I could ask for.

At the end I got quite a lot of compliments, and I am sure that it was in part because of how fitting my whole rig sounded (… and looked, I should add).

Happy camper here. Thanks to all for the incredibly good advice!

User Info Menu

I have to collect hopefully next week.
    I have read about the neck angle problems and asked the seller some questions. He said the action was 2mm at 12th and there's about 1mm left to go down on the bridge (and photos) which I was happy with - can always take a mil or two of the bridge.
    !!! Forgot about if the tailpiece is touching the body !!!!
    So fingers crossed.
    It has a JS type neck mount.
    Seller was selling to fund an Elferink.

User Info Menu

Congrats!
    I might get a new one from Thomann, or maybe a LH600, when they're back in stock in Europe.
    I heard they have fixed the neck angle problem over time.
    Don't know if it 's true.
    Anyway if the guitar isn' t up the standards I'll just send it back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Congrats!
    I might get a new one from Thomann, or maybe a LH600, when they're back in stock in Europe.
    I heard they have fixed the neck angle problem over time.
    Don't know if it 's true.
    Anyway if the guitar isn' t up the standards I'll just send it back.
    Thanks.
    I looked at new but this one ended up less than half the Thomann price. Don't know if that's good or bad! I think it's fairly old with a few nicks. Don't think I'll be able to send this one back!

User Info Menu

Some say they are great guitars, others say they're crap.
    Over the time, and all the opinions that go all over the place, just want to try one and make my own opinion.
    I really want a good acoustic archtop. I recently got a Martin Taylor Virtuoso, and I am totally furfilled with it.
    So now, I'm looking for the real thing, solid carved top, parallel bracing, and cathedral sound.
    If the Loar can do it, I'll take it.
    Otherwise I'll look elsewhere.
    Who knows, if I hit the target with one, it'll be fine.
    Looking at the Gibson L48 or L50 on Reverb or wherever, but not sure they'll be that better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Some say they are great guitars, others say they're crap.
    Over the time, and all the opinions that go all over the place, just want to try one and make my own opinion.
    I really want a good acoustic archtop. I recently got a Martin Taylor Virtuoso, and I am totally furfilled with it.
    So now, I'm looking for the real thing, solid carved top, parallel bracing, and cathedral sound.
    If the Loar can do it, I'll take it.
    Otherwise I'll look elsewhere.
    Who knows, if I hit the target with one, it'll be fine.
    Looking at the Gibson L48 or L50 on Reverb or wherever, but not sure they'll be that better.
    I've read posts that Jonathan Stout doesn't think the loar is too bad. Obviously not in the same league as his early Gibsons but as it's my 1st carved and recommended by him it's a path I felt I wanted to go down.
    Are L48s and 50s carved?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

The LH 650 and LH 700 are great guitars. Having owned them both I preferred the ‘650 because of its fully round neck and it’s fabulously great tone. Combined with a Bartolini pickup I’ve never had an acoustic featuring a sweeter tone. I’ve not heard of LH700’s with neck angle issues. That’s their finest archtop. But I didn’t care for its V neck. Good luck!

User Info Menu

They're great "raw materials " guitars. Might need a little fretwork and a setup, but then you'll have a beautiful solid wood cannon of an archtop.

User Info Menu

I was the only bidder on a 700 a few years ago. Got it for a great price. And the original owner had already had the frets dressed, set up, and installed a K&K, complete with preamp. So not only were there no issues, it played great. It has a huge V neck, and I have small hands, but I find the neck very comfortable and don’t notice the size after a minute or two. I really wanted a 16” L5-style, and at €700 this was a steal. I use it to chunk out swing rhythm in small combos.
    Last edited by stevo58; 07-17-2021 at 05:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    The LH 650 and LH 700 are great guitars. Having owned them both I preferred the ‘650 because of its fully round neck and it’s fabulously great tone. Combined with a Bartolini pickup I’ve never had an acoustic featuring a sweeter tone. I’ve not heard of LH700’s with neck angle issues. That’s their finest archtop. But I didn’t care for its V neck. Good luck!
    Thanks. I hope I like the neck. I seem to be OK with most. It's good to hear the 700s don't have neck angle issues. The shape of the 650 has never appealed to me so perhaps wrongly I've dismissed it in the past. I didn't realise the neck was more rounded.
    Looks like I'll be collecting it on Thursday. Cheers.

User Info Menu

They're great "raw materials " guitars. Might need a little fretwork and a setup, but then you'll have a beautiful solid wood cannon of an archtop.
    Thanks for your reply. I get the impression the seller would have had all the required setting up done. He sent a close up of the frets. They look very well dressed. He tells me he has an Elferink on order and is hob -nobbing with Martin Taylor this weekend!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stevo58
    I was the only bidder on a 700 a few years ago. Got it for a great price. And the original owner had already had the frets dressed, set up, and installed a K&K, complete with preamp. So not only we’re there no issues, it played great. It has a huge V neck, and I have small hands, but I find the neck very comfortable and don’t notice the size after a minute or two. I really wanted a 16” L5-style, and at €700 this was a steal. I use it to chunk out swing rhythm in small combos.
    Glad you like the 700. I hope to do the acoustic swing stuff as well. I'm currently using a laminated EER- a -like plugged into a polytone. This 700 has a JS style pickup so I may end up plugging it in but I don't really want to!

User Info Menu

I still can't understand why they use the big clunky v-neck just for tradition. After all, Gibson themselves slimmed them down over time. I owned an original Gibson Loar, and as magical as it was, I had to part with it because of that d*** huge v-neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I still can't understand why they use the big clunky v-neck just for tradition. After all, Gibson themselves slimmed them down over time. I owned an original Gibson Loar, and as magical as it was, I had to part with it because of that d*** huge v-neck.
    It does make you wonder. A lot of people seem to be put off by it but others are ok with it. I hope I'm one of the latter!
    ps. Does the 300 have the v neck? I tried one briefly a few years ago when I had very little knowledge of Loars. I don't recall the neck 'shouting out' at me. Cheers

User Info Menu

My problem with the V neck was that if I had intended to use the guitar ONLY as a rhythm box, it would have felt great. But the guitar sounded so good I wanted to play solos on it too, solo guitar, everything. And I found it uncomfortable for that. So I ended up getting frustrated with the guitar and never playing it.

User Info Menu

My problem with the V neck was that if I had intended to use the guitar ONLY as a rhythm box, it would have felt great. But the guitar sounded so good I wanted to play solos on it too, solo guitar, everything. And I found it uncomfortable for that. So I ended up getting frustrated with the guitar and never playing it.
    You might be able to sand the ridge of the neck and give it a bit rounder profile. Even a millimeter would probably make a huge difference.

User Info Menu

Lovely
    V neck totally acceptable!Loar LH 700 VS-20210722_224100-jpgLoar LH 700 VS-20210722_224044-jpgLoar LH 700 VS-20210722_223944-jpgLoar LH 700 VS-20210722_223952-jpgLoar LH 700 VS-20210722_224122-jpg
    Can anyone re - orientate the images pls?