The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

So I got this new Guild archie, all is good except some binding parts and worn out frets. I showed it the luthier today, and he said the frets are almost non existent. It does feel weird when I play it, of course, but I can still do it, or so it seems....

The gig I need it for is 4 hours, in duo, so non stop action. I'm thinking it might get tiresome? The alternative is a tele, or a reso, but the gig is Prohibition type party event where you have to look the part, I was told.
    The Guild is not perfect either, it's from the 50's but at least it looks like a proper jazz gtr.

What to do...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Playing lead or mostly bashing out rhythm?

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t do it. Four hours with barely any frets sounds like a recipe for hand cramps and flubbed notes if it were me playing. I like a guitar to have very nice frets if I’m gigging with it. If the neck and frets are right, I can play all night.

Any chance you could borrow a guitar?

User Info Menu

The people at most might know a solid body it not a Prohibition era instrument, but anything with an archtop shape you're filling the role. I played in a theater pit band about Marathon Dancing and we were onstage like the old dance bands. I used my shiny red 335 for whole run of the show and never a comment on the the guitar not looking the part. Use the Guild or a dark color acoustic would work too. I'd their Prohibition era really mean no lime green solidbody guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Playing lead or mostly bashing out rhythm?
    I guess mostly rhythm, but some solo breaks no doubt. It's with a clarinet player, I wouldn't imagine he would want to solo all the time for 4 sets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    The people at most might know a solid body it not a Prohibition era instrument, but anything with an archtop shape you're filling the role. I played in a theater pit band about Marathon Dancing and we were onstage like the old dance bands. I used my shiny red 335 for whole run of the show and never a comment on the the guitar not looking the part. Use the Guild or a dark color acoustic would work too. I'd their Prohibition era really mean no lime green solidbody guitars.
    Well of course, you're right, and that's what I'm debating- sound like crap (potentially) on a proper guitar, or sound good but not looking the part.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I guess mostly rhythm, but some solo breaks no doubt. It's with a clarinet player, I wouldn't imagine he would want to solo all the time for 4 sets.
    I'd be careful...low frets will cost you sustain, you might find yourself playing harder to keep notes going...recipe for hurting yourself. 4 hour gigs are no joke.

Unless of course, your playing style isn't concerned with longer tones, which, guitar's role in a "prohibition era" style gig might be just fine...hard to say.

"Look the part" gigs can be a pain. I remember needing to borrow a Stetson and buy a belt buckle. But the pay was good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'd be careful...low frets will cost you sustain, you might find yourself playing harder to keep notes going...recipe for hurting yourself. 4 hour gigs are no joke.

Unless of course, your playing style isn't concerned with longer tones, which, guitar's role in a "prohibition era" style gig might be just fine...hard to say.

"Look the part" gigs can be a pain. I remember needing to borrow a Stetson and buy a belt buckle. But the pay was good
    I think you are just confirming my fears. I don't need no cramps, for sure.

The pay is shitty, but I was never booked by those people before, and I know they draw a lot of water in this town, so I wanted to make a good connections.

I think I will take the reso then. It's not the most comfy guitar to play, but at least it looks the part better than the tele.

User Info Menu

Tele

User Info Menu

I would take both the reso and the Tele, and keep the Tele in reserve (with a small, discrete amp). The reso is period correct, but later in the evening, as the retro zeitgeist takes hold, few will notice the switch. If it's a one-guitar situation, resonate! Best of luck!

User Info Menu

obviously you need to go out & buy another guitar...what other choice is there?

haha

cheers

the enabler
    Last edited by neatomic; 12-06-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typo-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    obviously you need to go out a buy another guitar...what other choice is there?

haha

cheers

the enabler
    Believe it or not, the Guild was 'another' guitar! I sold all my archtops recently, because between a reso (busking, all acoustic type of gigs) and a tele (the rest of 'em) I was perfectly happy.

In the back of my mind I thought well, maybe I shoulda ve held an archtop just in case a gig like that would come up. But it never did... until now! And I got the Guild because if there is any archtop I wanna have that's proper jazz and fits my playing it's gotta be Guild. The price was ok, I bought it sight unseen!

It's all good, I'll make it work... Maybe indeed, I'll take the Guild AND a tele, and switch in the middle

User Info Menu

guilds are good..what did u get?/ got any pics??...honestly...unless the frets are causing buzzing on notes you fret, i wouldn't overthink it

you ever seen mosrite guitar frets???..they were filed flat!!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Anton: What did you get??? Fellow guild hounds are clamoring to know.

MD

User Info Menu

Here quick pics

What do you think, if you can tell?

Would you take a guitar that need a refret to a gig?-guild-ce100-1-jpgWould you take a guitar that need a refret to a gig?-guild-ce100-2-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm thinking that is sweet! Early mid 60s ce 100? Yes, new frets and fast. I can recommend somebody really good .. bet that pickup sounds good.
    MD

User Info Menu

yeah, dude. there should be these thin bits of metal installed in the fingerboard. maybe play it upright? or just go fretless all night?

is that a capri? damn handsome instrument.

User Info Menu

yeah those frets are low!!!...but if even up and down the fretboard, they might work for awhile...test the fretted notes one at a time..you might get some added play with trussrod and bridge adjustments

bindings gonna need attention

t-100?

nice

cheers

User Info Menu

There is no buzzing or dead notes or anything, it's all good in that regard. Just feels funny. For single notes playing anyway.

Btw the luthier quoted $650 for re-fret. I thought it's a bit high??

The guitar is CE-100, but 1956 not mid 60's. Made in New York, so even before Hoboken! The pickup and pickguard are not original and indeed from some other Guild from mid 60! The original would be the Franz p-90 type. I got it because I always wanted 50's Guild but with a humbucker. Somebody else did it for me...

The neck is really good, but I think most of you guys would hate it, because it's super narrow haha! Feels even narrower than a tele, and it's 1 5/8. Maybe due to a narrow spacing at the bridge also? But for me that's exactly what I love the old Guilds for!

In any case, I got it from GC, so I can return it within 40 days, but I need an archtop, and this one checks all the boxes for me.

User Info Menu

yeah ce-100...t's are thin...at least the mods are guild friendly

650$$$ is high nyc price!

have whatever luthier you use, see if he has any room across nut to spread out string spacing a tad more...with a new bone nut

cheers

User Info Menu

Binding and fret $650? Not out of line maybe but higher than most. Without seeing cannot be sure but what does the $650 include? For $650 I could get a guitar that probably sounds that good or better. For a bit more could have a great looking and sounding archtop like an Eastman.

Our throwaway society says cheap to buy new that repair. From strictly financial this could be the case.

User Info Menu

i would never trade a 50's guild for an eastman!!

the difference in the quality of wood alone!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah ce-100...t's are thin...at least the mods are guild friendly

650$$$ is high nyc price!

have whatever luthier you use, see if he has any room across nut to spread out string spacing a tad more...with a new bone nut

cheers
    No no, I mean I love the narrow spacing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Binding and fret $650? Not out of line maybe but higher than most. Without seeing cannot be sure but what does the $650 include? For $650 I could get a guitar that probably sounds that good or better. For a bit more could have a great looking and sounding archtop like an Eastman.

Our throwaway society says cheap to buy new that repair. From strictly financial this could be the case.
    $650 just for refret, and $150 more for full binding replacement. I'll look for the alternative, but the guy is one of the best...

Eastman vibe is sooo not me, nothing against it, but the guitar should fit the style you play on it. Plus I doubt they have necks 1 5/8 nut and 9.5 radius on Eastmans...

User Info Menu

I think you are all weenies. Most of my gigging is all fretless on violin, you'll survive.

I'd refret it myself at those prices.