The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

Hi dear guitar lovers

I've just found a minty Ibanez AS50 (1980) with OHSC.

I haven't recieved yet. Very very happy! I don't know how it compares to the flagship AS200, but I like the idea of the slightly smaller size (from what I've read) and lighter weight ... the AS200 is such a boat anchor! I've seen Scofield a few times and the man is really bigger than you would think..

Well, I've got the 1st version with those V2 heavy metal looking pickups (I HATE the looks of uncovered humbuckers) and birch neck/maple laminate body (the first AS100 had maple necks and birch bodies... Ibanez were having fun ?)

I would like advice for a pickup swap in this guitar.
    I do not want Gibson Classic 57, since I already have another guitar with them... and I must admit I'm a bit fed up with the sound of them (sorry...)

I was wondering.. the Super 58 would be obvious (a guy is selling a pair 150€ here in France, new ones MIJ )? They are gold plated which isn't what I'm looking for in the visual aspect of things.

I've always wanted to try Lollar CC in humbucker. Maybe this guitar will be two bright for them (birch neck seems to be very close to maple)?

Seth Lovers are very close to Classic 57?

Any help and advice would be very welcome

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pickups for a 1980 Ibanez AS50-resized_20171205_193148-jpg

User Info Menu

I have a 1980 AS200 with original super 58s and also a more recent AR420 with the more recent Super 58s. No real comparison. The originals are very close to the PAFs on my 1961 ES175D, but marginally hotter. The recent super 58s are nice, but lack the fullness of the originals - I can get close by using my mxr eq pedal to boost mids and a little of the lower register, but they are not as naturally responsive as the originals.

Occasionally the originals come up on e-bay or you could try posting on the Ibanez Collectors World forum. Sometimes damaged instruments get dismantled and their Super 58s can be bought at a friendly price.

Andy over at Repro Guitar Parts might be able to source some... he posts on the icw forum under with an alias of PorkPie
    Repro Guitar Parts

Nice guy to do business with - I bought a 1978 Ibanez MC400 NT from him a couple of years ago

User Info Menu

Thank you for the reply.
    Not sure I want to go thru the vintage 58' quest..
    The sound I am looking for is warm but not too heavy mid based (and that is what I hear in the Classic 57)
    I would prefer an almost P90 or single coilish sound and attack, with a bit of twang but consistence.
    Clarity, chime and a bit of power without outragous mids.
    One of my all time favorite guitar sounds is the one of the Belgium guitarist Rene Thomas.
    Well I know he had an Es 150 with Charlie Christian pickup, so I'll never atteign that sound with a semi.. but that's what I would to go to..
    The Lollar CC in HB route might fill the bill?
    Or some like the ones on early Guilds (can't remember the name!)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    The sound I am looking for is warm but not too heavy mid based (and that is what I hear in the Classic 57)
    I would prefer an almost P90 or single coilish sound and attack, with a bit of twang but consistence. Clarity, chime and a bit of power without outragous mids.
    Maybe the Duncan, Lollar, DiMarzio, Benedetto or Fralin web sites will have a pup that match that description... exactly? Failing that a note to Armstrong with that description (of course emphasizing your distaste for 57's) will best suit your quest ? :-)

User Info Menu

Well I've come to realize I don't favor the Gibson 57 that much. I can't say I really dislike them, but I find that if you put them on all your guitars, they'll sound all the same, well kind of.
    I've just put one on a Es175 Aria Pro II copy, and I'm wondering if I don't prefer the no name originals...
    It cut a fair amount of the character the guitar had, to sound a bit like .. 57's
    A guy posted a demo of his Epiphone Dot with Lollar CC's.. and just WOW!
    But these PU are really expensive.. and every guitar is different. A bit of a hit or miss and at that price I'm a bit reluctant.

User Info Menu

If you want single coils in humbucker size, check out the Bare Knuckle Manhattan P90s

Manhattan hsp90 | Bare Knuckle Pickups

I really like their stuff, but they are pricey

User Info Menu

Much like you, I am awaiting delivery of a another semi Ibanez in just a few hours. I had originally thought that it would have the MIJ Super 58s but after I pulled trigger, I figured out it does not. I do have a good selection of pickups to sample in the guitar (funny how both of us are pre-planning these PU swaps before we've had a chance to touch the guitars!)

I think first test for my new-to-me AS120 will be a Fralin P92 pair, the demo Youtube vid of P92 in a 339 sounded great.
    I'd love to hear the Lollar CC in there, but I expect it would be tough to find a balance with any bridge PU I have (and I'm not going to by a CC for bridge, I may be PU crazy but that cost/benifit math can't work for me.) So my CC is only going into my neck-only archtops.

What I find from experimenting is there is no certain success with like pairings, each guitar "wants what it wants" for PU.
    Some HB that are too muddy in one are perfect in another guitar, even where the wood differences would seem to predict the opposite.

I anticipate the P92 to bring more clarity than a '57 style, and like you, I already have that covered in my other guitars with SD59, '57, and other similar HB.

John
    Ask Santa for a PU spares gift box?
    Pickups for a 1980 Ibanez AS50-p92_cc_low_wind-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for the very informative tips.
    I've just read a thread where a guy says the Seymour Duncan 59 is a perfect match for the AS50.. I suppose the SD 59 are very close to the Classic 57?
    I'm really no expert in pickups.. it's only recently that I try to find better solutions on different guitars.
    A few years back I wouldn't would have thought changing pickups if they sounded decent and just play the damn guitar.. shut up n play yer guitar :-)

Maybe I should play it when I get it (not before a week or so..) and listen how those Ibanez V2 sound. The thing is I've read so bad things on them (too hot, harsh, no dynamic range, just plain bad.. ) that it's got me a bit nervous.

Are the Lollar CC hard to match ? What if I put one in the neck position, will it be hard to find a good pickup to fit with in the bridge?

If I put two Lollar CC neck/bridge, and try to level them in height so that the volume output are matched ? Is that possible, or reachable?

User Info Menu

If I get a chance to try the CC in a 2 pickup guitar, I will report back.. but I don't expect to do that soon. Maybe someone here has done that already?

I use the SD59 in a lot of guitars, it works great in everything from solids to archtops. My earliest SD59 was wound by Maricella Juarez (hers had a "J" on the sticker) and it really is the best one. Even the newer SD59 sound really good, and I like to try them in a guitar to establish a "base line" to see which direction the next PU might want to head. But the SD59 is that classic 59 HB sound which it seemed like you were already covered for with your '57, and you were asking about alternatives.

Earlier I mentioned the Fralin P92 demo online, I found it again and it is actually a 336 (not a 339 as I had typed.)
    John

User Info Menu

Nice stash of pickups there... BUT I got news for you, unless the guitar you're taking possession of is modified an AS120 should have real deal old school Super 58's in it (made in Korea by Mighty Mite under supervision of Ibanez)... So play the guitar some before you rip into it. I had a white AS120, doggone nice guitar... Nice score.

Another pickup to consider would be some Alumitones... there's a few videos on them on YouTube.

Big

Quote Originally Posted by john_a
    Much like you, I am awaiting delivery of a another semi Ibanez in just a few hours. I had originally thought that it would have the MIJ Super 58s but after I pulled trigger, I figured out it does not. I do have a good selection of pickups to sample in the guitar (funny how both of us are pre-planning these PU swaps before we've had a chance to touch the guitars!)

I think first test for my new-to-me AS120 will be a Fralin P92 pair, the demo Youtube vid of P92 in a 339 sounded great.
    I'd love to hear the Lollar CC in there, but I expect it would be tough to find a balance with any bridge PU I have (and I'm not going to by a CC for bridge, I may be PU crazy but that cost/benifit math can't work for me.) So my CC is only going into my neck-only archtops.

What I find from experimenting is there is no certain success with like pairings, each guitar "wants what it wants" for PU.
    Some HB that are too muddy in one are perfect in another guitar, even where the wood differences would seem to predict the opposite.

I anticipate the P92 to bring more clarity than a '57 style, and like you, I already have that covered in my other guitars with SD59, '57, and other similar HB.

John
    Ask Santa for a PU spares gift box?
    Pickups for a 1980 Ibanez AS50-p92_cc_low_wind-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Nice stash of pickups there... BUT I got news for you, unless the guitar you're taking possession of is modified an AS120 should have real deal old school Super 58's in it
    Big
    Hey Big, my AS120 just showed up as I was starting lunch.. It's cold today in Michigan, so give it some time to "acclimate" and soon enough it shows a surface temp of 60*F when I first peek in the box.
    First impression is bad because "where's my case??? !!! As this was a case-included purchase.

Next, the guitar is dirty and not even close to set up, too soon to tell if the neck angle is going to be a problem (bridge is bottomed out, but string height is waaay too low, like against the frets so it might adjust correctly with setup.

When I first saw the guitar for sale, it was from May 1995 and that was when these Korean AS120 switched from Samick to Cort, where Cort began using the "Super 58" PUs from their start of production in 04/1995.

While my SN shows it 05/1995 and seems to be the Samick plant (contrary to the info found on interwebs with regard to Samick (Super 50 unpotted) ending in April and Cort (Super 58) from May 1995 thru 1996.

So right now I have less than I bargained for, I had realized there were no Super 58 right after I paid for it, but surely did not expect the condition OR the missing case. Might turn out OK or might have to get returned, I want to play around with it first to get a better idea what to do.
    This is the white AS120 1995 with big round ears and small headstock, soon to change to "wolf ears" and larger flared out headstock as Ibanez redesigned the entire line.

Sorry to hijack the OP thread, and I hope his new AS50 semi arrives ready to delight.

John

edited to add update: the AS120 was from Guitar Center, they just gave me $100 refund for missing the case, and I still get plenty of time to decide if it needs to be returned. Time to clean, restring and adjust, maybe even test a PU or two after that!
    Last edited by john_a; 12-06-2017 at 04:01 PM.

User Info Menu

No don't worry!

Sorry that your Ibby doesn't turn out to be what you expected.. try to set it up the best it can (you seem very competent), and play it a few days.

Sometimes when you get a new guitar with a few flaws that upset you really at first glance, it can keep you from appreciating its qualities for a while, the little problems are just all what you see.

I find myself setting up a guitar a whole evening (strings, neck relief, pickup height, action..), really happy with the result, and the next day just returning everything backwards..

Let us know how it turns out.

And by the way, I just LOVE the sound on that video of the Fralins! And the demonstrator just says it all "a little bit more clarity than the Classic 57"

I'm going to search for these around here in France, hope I can find them.

User Info Menu

I did a quick clean-up, restring and adjust. Now I think better of the guitar. I did want a white semi hollow Ibanez with this small headstock, and that really narrows the selection. After the credit the store just gave me, and the original discount they had put on it (that prompted me to purchase) the price paid was just under $400 USD. I will play it like this for a while before I change out any parts, but I do see new PUs, pots, and maybe the TOM bridge if it goes that far. The body looks pretty good, I can take pics some time after I get to buffing it out and reinstalling the pickguard.

Good luck with your AS50 and whatever choices you get for replacement PUs, I think with the types you have under consideration, great sounds are possible.

John
    Pickups for a 1980 Ibanez AS50-as120_head-jpg

User Info Menu

I notice the Ibanez pickups are mounted with 3 screws, whereas the majority of other humbuckers have 2 screws.
    I suppose I have to change the rings? Are they standard size?

User Info Menu

That brings me to string spacing? Is it the same as Gibson for instance?

User Info Menu

I notice the Ibanez pickups are mounted with 3 screws, whereas the majority of other humbuckers have 2 screws.
    I suppose I have to change the rings? Are they standard size?
    Contact Andy at Repro Guitar Parts....

User Info Menu

I'm in France. Where is that shop located?

I'm searching for used Super 58, and found a guy selling ones swapped from a Prestige MIJ AF200.

Uhh .. they have only 2 mounting holes?

So I just googled a search for images of super 58 pickups, and it appears it's all over the place, 2 mounting , 3 ...

What to think, are they equal, unregarding 2-3 mounting screws?

User Info Menu

I'm in France. Where is that shop located?

I'm searching for used Super 58, and found a guy selling ones swapped from a Prestige MIJ AF200.

Uhh .. they have only 2 mounting holes?

So I just googled a search for images of super 58 pickups, and it appears it's all over the place, 2 mounting , 3 ...

What to think, are they equal, unregarding 2-3 mounting screws?
    Repro Guirar Parts is US based but will ship worldwide. 2 or 3 screw pickup rings can be ordered for about 11 Euros. E-mail them to explain your need ideally with photos and I'm sure you'll get a quick reply

Reproguitarparts.com

Lots of people on the Ibanez Collectors Forum from all over the world buy hard to find Ibanez parts from Andy, and he will make you an excellent copy if he dosn't have the original part

User Info Menu

Thank you very much.

User Info Menu

Not for nothing, but a Duncan Seth Lover pickup is pretty damn close in tone to a Super 58. I mean Ibanez copied the Gibson PAF as best as they could and Seth Lover designed that PAF... You should be able to find those in chrome for about $110.00 online just about anywhere. The 4 wire version about an additional $10.00 more. No question of what you will be getting when you buy it.

Big

User Info Menu

That's a good point Big. The 58's I was interested in, swapped out from a 97 AF200, well that's what the guy said, I just couldn't find a match in every photo I searched on the Web. For sure they were Ibanez pickups because the construction looked like 58's, but there was just "made in japan" ingraved on the back.. no number, no "ibanez 58", no "N"nor "B"... just strange. Maybe the guy himself was honest, but who knows where his guitar comes from in the beginning? I just abandonned to call him back.. the price was quite low (100€ the pair)..
    And they where gold plated . I really would prefer aged nickel pickups to match the vintage feel of the guitar
    so yeah I completely follow your knowledgeable advice here Big, thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john_a
    Hey Big, my AS120 just showed up as I was starting lunch.. It's cold today in Michigan, so give it some time to "acclimate" and soon enough it shows a surface temp of 60*F when I first peek in the box.
    First impression is bad because "where's my case??? !!! As this was a case-included purchase.

Next, the guitar is dirty and not even close to set up, too soon to tell if the neck angle is going to be a problem (bridge is bottomed out, but string height is waaay too low, like against the frets so it might adjust correctly with setup.

When I first saw the guitar for sale, it was from May 1995 and that was when these Korean AS120 switched from Samick to Cort, where Cort began using the "Super 58" PUs from their start of production in 04/1995.

While my SN shows it 05/1995 and seems to be the Samick plant (contrary to the info found on interwebs with regard to Samick (Super 50 unpotted) ending in April and Cort (Super 58) from May 1995 thru 1996.

So right now I have less than I bargained for, I had realized there were no Super 58 right after I paid for it, but surely did not expect the condition OR the missing case. Might turn out OK or might have to get returned, I want to play around with it first to get a better idea what to do.
    This is the white AS120 1995 with big round ears and small headstock, soon to change to "wolf ears" and larger flared out headstock as Ibanez redesigned the entire line.

Sorry to hijack the OP thread, and I hope his new AS50 semi arrives ready to delight.

John

edited to add update: the AS120 was from Guitar Center, they just gave me $100 refund for missing the case, and I still get plenty of time to decide if it needs to be returned. Time to clean, restring and adjust, maybe even test a PU or two after that!
    Jeez, talk about rude? Leaving the case out, and not even giving it the once over to clean it up?

At a local GC I saw a well used 335 and it supposedly 9on the hang tag) had an "original" Gibson case but it could not be found (?) After I agreed to buy it they "threw in" a broken down 70's 335 case with broken latches and a handle, no further discount. GC's troubles are not getting better it seems.

Keep us posted on your issues, maybe in a separate GC problems thread? :-)

User Info Menu

Congrats. Late 70’s and very early 80’s Ibanez guitar’s are some of my favorites. My ‘77 Artist 2630’s previous owner replaced the stock pickups with Seymour Duncan SH-1 pickups (their ‘59 PAF style pickup). They suit the guitar very well and sound good on a semi hollow in general, coil tap well and are extremely versatile but still have a great jazz sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Forgot to address a question a few posts back. Yeah Ibanez DID switch to two adjust screws on the Super 58s (used to be two screws on the left and one (centered) on the right... Also not long after THAT they stop stamping Super 58 on them. So it's hard to truly spot them like in the old days.

Really Seth Lovers would be nice (and cheaper) and new, a sure thing if there ever was. I think he also does a signed Custom Shop Seth Lover, can't remember the specs of WHY they're more but look on eBay, sort by Highest Price first, maybe you'll see what I mean.