The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 123

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjazz
    That was a bit of nice history about your foray into guitar, you seem to have played and recognised them all and know exactly what you want to get your tone, i will remember this if i ever get the chance to try a 175, i really did not know the many differences between the models.
    You are an honest guy, kudos.
    John.
    Not only are there lots of differences over the years, each guitar is somewhat different. In any production year of the ES-175, there are great ones, good ones and lemons.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPG
    Great story, SS

That was fun to read. I also envy your experience with all those 175s. Mine, also a CME, was the first 175 I ever played..!

It is great that you had already a couple of real keepers so, while this newest one may not end up joining those in the stand will for sure add to your experience with the model, which is also a great thing (unless you'd have done a terrible deal, which was not the case).

But I want to say this: in the case of mine, it was a funny thing - I like light guitars (love my SG) and this thing is heavy! I like thin necks and this one is really chunky. I like easy access to the higher frets and with this one it isn't properly easy.. I hugely prefer flatwounds and ended up stringing this one with rounds.. but the fact is that in spite of it all OR maybe because of it all (how all the elements blend together) this guitar is a joy to play - feel and tone, with an amp or just strumming on the couch. In my case it does the job and when I pick it up to play .. I play and don't spend time thinking about the guitar, you know?

Enjoy you guitar(s) and keep us posted about it, how the whole thing unfold with this new one
    Thanks JPG, I will play this guitar a bit. I have already been here to some extent with my 2008 ES-175, so I doubt that this guitar will "teach this old dog a new trick". I am truly happy that you have bonded with the chunky neck. If I liked chunky necks and semi-hollows, there would be a few more boxes coming from CME to my house! These are amazing deals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    It's a good thing you're not closer to me, I would have been tempted to trade my sainted figured 1995 for it :-)
    Gary, now that I have this guitar, I see what you were talking about in your NGD post for your natural 335. In some light, you cannot see the flame. With my 97, the flame is so deep and 3D a blind man can see it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    What a great story, SS. I've bought and sold a lot of guitars in the 58 years or so that I've been playing--archtops, thinlines and solid bodies; including a custom made archtop from a well known luthier.

What I am sure of is this: You either "bond" with a guitar or you don't. After a few years of being parked in it's case, I sold the custom archtop through "Mandolin Brothers" because I never felt comfortable playing it. Likewise with the pricey solid bodies.

As you described in your post, you've owned and played a lot of great guitars and had some similar experiences. In fact, I'm sure many of our forum colleagues feel the same way: you either instantly feel comfortable with a particular guitar or you don't. That's why I liked reading about your guitar "trek". You've sort of validated my experience.

Keep hunting and keep us posted.

Tony D.

I
    Thanks Tony,

I have 50 years in the guitar playing/owning game. I think it is important for those with experience to share it (hence my participation here). I feel fortunate to own the many great guitars that I am very bonded with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I really appreciated and enjoyed your story and your review. It's very rare that someone can write a review that says "this instrument is essentially perfect, even amazing but no, it's not ideal for me and is not better than what I have." So often the latter judgment an cloud the former description. Anybody liking the features you don't care for about this guitar knows they will get a splendid specimen. If I didn't already have a recent CME 175 figured (SB) I might try a deal with you. I'm long on sunbursts and short on blondes!

Your reasonable, nuanced descriptions in the context of your extensive experience give you a ton of credibility, at least for me.
    Thanks Lawson. Just because I do not like something does not mean it's not great. In the Biker subculture they say "one man's queen is another man's sweathog". The same is true with guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wmachine
    The difference between objectivity and subjectivity.
    This is one of my biggest gripes with forums in general. Far too often when someone doesn't like something, they trash it. Though they don't know it (and probably don't care anyway), it makes the poster look bad, and it makes getting an unclouded opinion difficult. "The 2015s are terrible, their wide necks suck."
    Kudos to Stringswinger.

Absolutely!
    Thanks wmachine. In the car business they say "there is an ass for every seat" If a guitar has a bad neck or a poorly finished sunburst, I will point it out, there are no "asses" for that seat, the manufacturer was the Ass. But if a guitar has attributes that I do not like but is otherwise a fine guitar, I will not say it sucks. Those who put subjectivity out there often create anger, something that is never helpful to a debate.

User Info Menu

Well for sure some comments on the web hold little water, and they are less than useful.

Then again when players paint with a wide brush stroke, good or bad their opinions can weigh heavily on other players who are of the same mind, for example: Those that really dislike slim necks would appreciate someone saying something like: "The 60's ES-150 ultra slim necks suck" and a comment like this is in no way (IMO) discrediting the poster.

Certain things like git weight, and neck profile are not very subjective and to some are deal breakers.
    I would rather hear someone be objective without saying that it "sucks". When I read a post that says something I like sucks, it makes me angry and colors everything else that person writes in a bad way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Not only are there lots of differences over the years, each guitar is somewhat different. In any production year of the ES-175, there are great ones, good ones and lemons.
    It takes a whole lot of lemons to make one glass of lemonade.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    Thank you for the education! I always thought I liked thin necks like my wide thin PRS, Strat, and GB10se but this 2016 CME 175 feels so natural to my hands that it has me re-thinking my neck preferences. Maybe I’ve always been a closeted baseball bat lover and was just afraid to to explore that realm.
    Ted, I am happy that you have come out of the closet.

I had one PRS guitar (a fine solid body to be sure, it was a Custom 22). It had the wide thin neck profile. It was a truly superb neck for my taste. I wish Gibson offered that kind of option. Though if they did my 12 step program would be in deep trouble. I would probably be up to 30 guitars by now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Marco too bad 335's aren't your bag. CME has those nice 1969 335's with the 60's neck, chrome (not nickel) hardware, trapeze tailpiece, top hat knobs, and that nice 60's cherry sunburst. I had a 1969 335 years ago. That one was special. They do have the narrow nut though I believe ?

when the CME deals are gone you will have no problem offing that 175 here.
    Vinny, I hated my 68 335 and my 67 175. The narrow nut is more of a deal killer than a chunky neck for me.

I think I could sell this new 175 for a small profit today if I were inclined, but I think I will play her a bit. I am feeling a bit like the medieval Lord who gets to sleep with all of the peasant wives on their wedding night. This is only my 4th "New" Gibson. I am going to follow K's advise and use her on a few gigs.

I suppose it is possible that I am a closeted chunky neck lover but do not yet know it. But I doubt it.

User Info Menu

Vinny, I hated my 68 335 and my 67 175. The narrow nut is more of a deal killer than a chunky neck for me.

I think I could sell this new 175 for a small profit today if I were inclined, but I think I will play her a bit. I am feeling a bit like the medieval Lord who gets to sleep with all of the peasant wives on their wedding night. This is only my 4th "New" Gibson. I am going to follow K's advise and use her on a few gigs.

I suppose it is possible that I am a closeted chunky neck lover but do not yet know it. But I doubt it.
    For some reason this stirred a low rumbling kind of laugh in me. I can't stop chuckling over the jus primae noctis concept applied to guitars!

User Info Menu

Marco my brother......sometimes it takes a few dates to fall in love.

User Info Menu

For some reason this stirred a low rumbling kind of laugh in me. I can't stop chuckling over the jus primae noctis concept applied to guitars!

jus primae noctis

I admit I had to look it up. Totally appropriate given the facts, Lawson. I learned something today thanks!

User Info Menu

Gary, now that I have this guitar, I see what you were talking about in your NGD post for your natural 335. In some light, you cannot see the flame. With my 97, the flame is so deep and 3D a blind man can see it.
    I can't remember when I've seen maple figure like this. Weird isn't it? The only issue with it is mine at least REALLY likes flash and puts its best foot forward under intense light. That will be a problem if I ever go to sell it. I'd have to be extra careful to dummy down the flame or the new owner may say I doctored the pics and wants a refund :-)

That said, I'm starting to bond with the neck BB pup and may leave it in.

User Info Menu

I can't remember when I've seen maple figure like this. Weird isn't it? The only issue with it is mine at least REALLY likes flash and puts its best foot forward under intense light. That will be a problem if I ever go to sell it. I'd have to be extra careful to dummy down the flame or the new owner may say I doctored the pics and wants a refund :-)

That said, I'm starting to bond with the neck BB pup and may leave it in.
    It is weird. I have had Gibson guitars with flame from the 80's, 90's and zeros and none had this kind of flame. This is figured maple for those who prefer a plain top . I have looked at pics all over the web for my model and they all look to have this "light" (Shallow?) flame.

My last 335 was a natural figured Memphis made example from 2005 and the flame was outstanding. I wonder why we are seeing this kind of flame maple? Especially on a laminate.

Regarding Burstbuckers, my only experience was my 2002 Les Paul which was the first year of the Burstbucker. It had a BB2 in the neck position and a BB3 in the bridge. Gibson switched to BB1 and BB2 placement the following year. The BB2 neck PUP made getting a good jazz sound impossible (for me). Perhaps I might feel better about Burstbuckers if I tried a BB1 in the neck position?

User Info Menu

The 2 I just got seem flamed enough for me. Remember they are advertised as figured not flamed.
    Big ugly mineral streaks are more of a turn off for me. I actually like light or no flame maple.
    Gibson IMO still always gets the nicest looking wood than any other maker.
    You simply can't expect 3D rollers on every guitar they make. That is rare and scarce wood.

User Info Menu

Gibson has a "Flame" designation? Well shut my mouth.

User Info Menu

All of my other "figured" Gibsons had better "figure". Just saying....

User Info Menu

There is a old saying in the Harley world.......chrome don't get you home. Same for flame.

User Info Menu

There is a old saying in the Harley world.......chrome don't get you home. Same for flame.
    That is true. My guitar has an understated charm.....CME Figured Natural Gibson ES-175-1-jpgCME Figured Natural Gibson ES-175-20171206_160825-jpg

User Info Menu

That is true. My guitar has an understated charm.....CME Figured Natural Gibson ES-175-1-jpgCME Figured Natural Gibson ES-175-20171206_160825-jpg
    A beautiful axe like that for less than $2300. You should be swinging from vines and beating on your chest.
    You should have seen the turd I got yesterday for over $2500. It had a Silvertone neck at best.

User Info Menu

A beautiful axe like that for less than $2300. You should be swinging from vines and beating on your chest.
    You should have seen the turd I got yesterday for over $2500. It had a Silvertone neck at best.
    Vinny, don't get me wrong. I scored and I know it. It is just that any guitars that come into my world have some serious competition. As do yours.

I am 2 for 2 in this CME game and quitting while I am ahead. It sounds like you are out at 5. Mark got 6. I am thinking he wins. His boyhood dream of drowning in Gibsons sounds pretty good. But I am now up to 7 Gibsons. I am already drowning in Gibsons. What a way to go though, eh? And I have managed to avoid the Richlite fretboard therapy.

User Info Menu

Vinny, don't get me wrong. I scored and I know it. It is just that any guitars that come into my world have some serious competition. As do yours.

I am 2 for 2 in this CME game and quitting while I am ahead. It sounds like you are out at 5. Mark got 6. I am thinking he wins. His boyhood dream of drowning in Gibsons sounds pretty good. But I am now up to 7 Gibsons. I am already drowning in Gibsons. What a way to go though, eh? And I have managed to avoid the Richlite fretboard therapy.
    Sounds like one definition of "dying happy."

User Info Menu

Sounds like one definition of "dying happy."
    He who dies with the most Gibsons wins?

User Info Menu

I have a friend with 60+ guitars.
    At some point -- I'm not sure exactly when -- it becomes a burden.

Not so different with motorcycles -- you know -- just how many batteries and carbs do you want to keep up for the winter?

FYI, as my CME 175 is coming in, so too are 5 lesser guitars going out !