User Info Menu

Joe, I am very happy for you, an extraordinarily kind gesture, of
    which I am not surprised at all, knowing Vinny, his reward is in the
    giving.
    We all look forward to hearing it in due time. Happy Holidays

Alan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh, wow. I mean, just wow -- both the guitar and Vinny's generosity.

May you play it in good health, and make it sing!

User Info Menu

That is one sexy piece of lumber... Long may you play it!

Mad props to Vinny. That's amazing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

OK bro forget about Cherokee. How about Joe Pass & NHOP's version of Oleo ? There is a 1979 version of those guys tearing it up on YouTube........just kidding. Those 2 guys together was unreal....almost frightening.

How about Little Girl Blue drop D tuning ?

User Info Menu

Wow! Joe, I think that is definitely one of the most beautiful 175s I have ever seen! And the story is the stuff of instant legend. I don't think this sort of thing happens at TGP or TLPF. A quintessentially jazz thing to do. I know you will do the guitar, and all of us on the forum, proud. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

And Vinny - you are a right guy. God Bless.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the kind words but Joe just got a guitar. I got the happiness which is of far greater value.
    Joe is our no.1, he holds us all together. If I don't post for a couple days he is calling or emailing me to see if I am ok.
    When I was battling gangrene a year ago Joe is the one that started the post that I believe saved my hand with all of your collective prayers and positive thoughts. I am very spiritual and believe that post saved my hand.

I love the old saying : one hand washes the other

User Info Menu

What a nice gesture of friendship. That's one for the season! That's how the world should work. Beautiful guitar in the hands of a very tasteful player. Love stories like this.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I've been watching this thread all day.

First, beautiful story. It's so heartwarming to see an act of kindness like that. Blessings on Vinny!

Secondly, I called CME today and snatched up that 2016 Figured ES-175 floor model they had listed on their website and on Reverb.com for $2,400. They even knocked off some more for me since I was buying it direct over the phone. My wife, who is an accountant, said, "You can't pass up that deal...Go for it!" They set it up to my specs with some flatwounds and sent it out UPS this afternoon. It will be my first real ES-175 - I'm so excited! It will be here Thursday, just in time for a couple of jazz orchestra gigs Friday and Saturday. It will be a nice big brother to my dot neck 335.

While I had CME on the phone, I asked them to confirm the story that Gibson overproduced 175s last year and the owner of CME bought up a bunch of them. The salesman I talked to confirmed it. He said they got about 20 or so of them. The one I bought has been their store demo for the past few months.

I appreciated the comments above from Lawson about the tone of these 2016s. I've read mixed reviews. Again, can't wait - As soon as I get it unpacked and tuned up, I'm going to plug it directly into my BF Deluxe with just a little reverb. I have to decide what song to inaugurate it with!

User Info Menu

Maybe you started something here, Vinny. I would like to do what you did someday. You inspire me.

User Info Menu

Just think - - eventually some time down the road, after we're all long gone, this story about this instrument will again be retold, of how this guy's friend gave him this guitar - out of the clear blue - - one Christmas.
    I consider myself fortunate I heard this story in the making. That's why good fortune, karma, and mojo, are always where you find them - just like good people. You can't buy them in a store.

Congrats Joe and may you play it in good health for a long time !

And Vinnie, may you be remembered kindly and for a long time for this thing you've done !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    OK bro forget about Cherokee. How about Joe Pass & NHOP's version of Oleo ? There is a 1979 version of those guys tearing it up on YouTube........just kidding. Those 2 guys together was unreal....almost frightening.

How about Little Girl Blue drop D tuning ?
    i could do that..

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the kind words but Joe just got a guitar. I got the happiness which is of far greater value.
    Joe is our no.1, he holds us all together. If I don't post for a couple days he is calling or emailing me to see if I am ok.
    When I was battling gangrene a year ago Joe is the one that started the post that I believe saved my hand with all of your collective prayers and positive thoughts. I am very spiritual and believe that post saved my hand.

I love the old saying : one hand washes the other
    Vin, I am far from our #1 here.
    This forum has been existence since 2007. I went back to the 1st page of posts. I saw Mr Beaumont on the 1st page of posts. So much comradry here for 10 years.
    When I 1st joined, I actually got on Vinny for bashing Gibson. Can you believe that?

Thanks to every last one of you who respect each other and make our forum a little piece of heaven.
    Once again, thanks Vinny.

There are more people who have showed me their generosity here on this forum. I thank you guys too.

Now that ive uncovered myself as a world class moocher..

User Info Menu

I just got settled in for a little light forum reading after a day of fence building and came across this thread. What a great story to find.

Congrats to you, Joe, and a big thank you to Vinny because I think that once Joe posts some videos of this new 175, we are all going to benefit.

User Info Menu

No world class bro. Never say that again.

User Info Menu

BTW.....the same day Joe received the 175, Gibson emailed telling me Rita Red was refinished to perfection and will be overnighted to me on Monday with no charges to me.

User Info Menu

Thanks buddy.

When you get Rita back, she will now be the most perfect, best player you got..

JD

User Info Menu

BTW.....the same day Joe received the 175, Gibson emailed telling me Rita Red was refinished to perfection and will be overnighted to me on Monday with no charges to me.
    Wow bro, you didn’t tell me that? Oh my God. They came to their senses.. that is great.
    you and I posted at almost the same. It is funny how we both brought up Rita. Amazing.

User Info Menu

hey, I brought up Rita a couple days ago! Where's my guitar?

User Info Menu

Wonderful story, guys!
    It was really heart warming to read it, and then the whole thread - very uplifting..!

The guitar is wonderful, and as this story will keep resonating through its body as you play it, it will develop a wonderful and very unique tone for sure. Stuff of legends!

Also I fully agree with lawson-stone comments about the tone of these guitars. I, like some of you here also bought one .. blindfolded, fingers crossed, from the other side of the pond! The guitar is beauty - not as much as yours, Max! - but it was its tone that knocked me off instantly. Have been playing it since she arrived, non stop, and the joy is still the same!

Enjoy your guitar and congratulations to you guys for that wonderful friendship, too!

User Info Menu

Wow, what a beauty Joe ... and what an amazing story - cudos Vinny!
    i hope you play this guitar a lot - it. It not be in more capable hands!

User Info Menu

So, there is a Santa after all! Just when you thought
    all was lost Rita Hayworth is reincarnated , pics please
    upon her arrival.
    One good turn .....

User Info Menu

This is an unbelievable example of positive energy. You too fed off one another and it just keeps growing. You guys are truly role models!

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Some time ago me and Vinny got to talkin about our favorite guitar colors. I told him that I really like that dark top fade to red sunburst. He told me that Gibson did that color back in the 60’s and they just started making them again. He sent me a picture of one that was featured at Dave’s guitar shop. That was it! I thought one day I have to get me one of them.
    If you play jazz guitar, at some point in your life, an ES175 is on your wish list.
    I was enough to grow up on one. No matter how many fine guitars that had come and gone in my life, it’s just not right if a 175 isn’t in my possession. Even with my BELOVED 165, Its just not right without a 175.
    With all this CME stuff going on, I was sitting back happily watching as my buddies on the forum fulfilled there dreams and landed brand new 175’s at half the price of their deserved going rate. Man I’ve seen some beauties come across the board. Hamstrung with an unfortunate financial situation, there was no way I could take advantage of these deals of a lifetime.
    One day last week I get an Email that goes like this..

“Bro,
    Please email me your work address. I am sending you a 175 as a gift. I simply have too many.
    If you value my friendship no lip. Do not rob me of a blessing.
    Vinny...”

Needless to say, I was shocked. In my wildest dreams, I couldn’t imagine anyone doing something like this for anyone, especially me. Vinny, I owe you. I owe you big time.
    Here are pictures of this amazing guitar.
    In my opinion, These guitars are not 2nds. They are not inferior to the guitars that are sold as new for twice the price. They are no different. As you can see, my devilish little siren polished up to a spectacular example of quite possibly, the most prolific jazz guitar ever made.

Attachment 48254Attachment 48255Attachment 48256Attachment 48257Attachment 48258

Vinny, what you did was unbelievably generous. I really don’t have the words.
    Thanks buddy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Joe and Vinny, that's a beautiful instrument in so many ways. It is probably the most popular archtop of all time, even among working professionals.

The lamination, pickup positions, scale length, Florentine cutaway, woods, body dimensions and f hole size were carefully chosen and yet still evolved over the decades.

The aesthetics of the wood figuring and the elegant finish make it timelessly attractive.

The ES-175 epitomizes the royal marriage of the acoustic and electric guitars.

Vinny, it warms my heart to know what you did.

Joe, there are no free lunches. We expect hard work with results. To whom much is given, much is required. That's how the universe works, my friend. Here endeth the lesson!

User Info Menu

MG,
    i got it covered.
    You know, I’m not just saying this but this guitar IS really special. And not just my particular example. Please read this.

Speaking of evolution, just like Porsche 911’s and Jeep Wranglers, The 175 has under gone subtle tweaks over the years but maintained its core principles. The latest minor tweak (Vinny told me this) is they put spruce braces into the top of this guitar. The result is a very subtle clarity that really stands out. This guitar does it all. Chord melody is enhanced with this guitar. Clarity and depth of tone.. this guitar has it in shovel fulls. Old Folks on this guitar has a wider gamut than any other guitar I have. Tenderly sounds like 3 guitars when I play it on this 175.

Anyone who bought these new 175’s got the deal of a lifetime. I’m serious. It is a spectacular guitar.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkipBurz
    Secondly, I called CME today .... They set it up to my specs with some flatwounds and sent it out UPS this afternoon.
    Here’s the only pang of jealousy I feel from this thread. I called and ordered Friday and they’re not setting it up and shipping until next week for me. Lucky you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk