The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 171

User Info Menu

Well, I've been waiting for my cherry 275 from CME. Usually they ship right away. After five days I inquired. They responded that they didn't noticed that I had paid. It should arrive tomorrow.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    MG,
    i got it covered.
    You know, I’m not just saying this but this guitar IS really special. And not just my particular example. Please read this.

Speaking of evolution, just like Porsche 911’s and Jeep Wranglers, The 175 has under gone subtle tweaks over the years but maintained its core principles. The latest minor tweak (Vinny told me this) is they put spruce braces into the top of this guitar. The result is a very subtle clarity that really stands out. This guitar does it all. Chord melody is enhanced with this guitar. Clarity and depth of tone.. this guitar has it in shovel fulls. Old Folks on this guitar has a wider gamut than any other guitar I have. Tenderly sounds like 3 guitars when I play it on this 175.

Anyone who bought these new 175’s got the deal of a lifetime. I’m serious. It is a spectacular guitar.

Joe D
    Not just spruce braces, but Adirondack Spruce braces, one of the best tonewoods on the planet. I certainly did not need another 175, but being curious about these new "tweaked" models decided to try one out. Mine arrives on Tuesday.

I may have to change the tuner buttons though. To me a Gibson does not look right without Keystone buttons.

User Info Menu

They do the same bracing with the 275. In this smaller instrument I'm betting it makes only a marginal difference, but it can't hurt I suppose.

User Info Menu

Marco you will love these new 175’s. Not saying it is better than your 90’s thunk master as I have a thunker too but it is a different beast with a very nice clarity to it. I believe it is going to be a very good fit for Hot Club Pacific.
    I think you will be pleased that you pulled the trigger. It is lively but not overly bright with tight lows.

Mark trust me you should get one too. Everyone needs at least 1 175 IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Marco you will love these new 175’s. Not saying it is better than your 90’s thunk master as I have a thunker too but it is a different beast with a very nice clarity to it. I believe it is going to be a very good fit for Hot Club Pacific.
    I think you will be pleased that you pulled the trigger. It is lively but not overly bright with tight lows.

Mark trust me you should get one too. Everyone needs at least 1 175 IMO.
    @ Vinny I am looking forward to the new 175, but I like my 90's thunkmaster better than my 63 which is lightweight and acoustically vibrant, so we will see. A NGD post will be forthcoming.

@Mark My 330 has the red spruce braces and I think it does make a difference. Amazing tone. I think these new Memphis ES guitars may be on a par with the best Gibson electrics of the 50's and 60's.

@ both of you guys It is a good thing that the flattops and carved archtops are not part of this sale, else our bank accounts might all be overdrawn, eh?

User Info Menu

Who would have thought that these 175’s would have been as treasured as they going to be?
    I mean it. And trust me, I will be buried with this 175 and my Tal - I am not saying this for resale value at all. I honestly believe these 175’s will be cherished by their owners because of their sound and playability, not because of their value.
    I didn’t know that about the Adirondack spruce Marco. It makes sense because it’s real.
    I will go as far as to say the clarity of this guitar comes with a downside. You can’t cover up your mistakes. But if you play it right, you will be rewarded. That’s all you could ever ask of a guitar, really.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

What a great thread! Awesome.

I was just looking at these a couple of days ago. CME doesn’t show pics of the actual guitars - is it just a situation where you take your chances and return it if it’s goofy?

User Info Menu

3 day no questions asked return policy. I have bought 7 from them and returned 2. They sent me a free return label and refunded my money the day they received back the guitar. It is a no risk buy. Make sure the trussrod works in those 3 days even if the setup is perfect. After 3 days you bought the farm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Thank you all for the kind words but Joe just got a guitar. I got the happiness which is of far greater value.
    Joe is our no.1, he holds us all together. If I don't post for a couple days he is calling or emailing me to see if I am ok.
    When I was battling gangrene a year ago Joe is the one that started the post that I believe saved my hand with all of your collective prayers and positive thoughts. I am very spiritual and believe that post saved my hand.

I love the old saying : one hand washes the other
    You're an upright mofo, Vinny ... I don't care what everyone says about you.

User Info Menu

So, I just took up this thread.

Had to double down on my meds.

Well done Vinny & Max!

User Info Menu

Wow this is so fantastic.
    Someone has to write a song about these cool dudes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

What an inspiring story, a story for the ages! Kudos to Vinny and Joe. In this day and age it's not often that we come across guys who have the courage to remind us in words and actions of who we all truly are, and are able to do so with such grace and simplicity.
    Congrats on a stunning 175. Loved the details about how Gibson has tweaked the design over time, very interesting.
    Last edited by m_d; 12-04-2017 at 08:00 AM.

User Info Menu

That guitar is absolute stunner! It brightened my day to hear about this incredibly nice gesture.

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    I recorded this video tonight. You will see what we mean by the clarity of this guitar. Every note is pure and defined.
    Something more upbeat definitely in the works.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

The sound is wonderful. The notes have that beautiful thunk. Love it.

User Info Menu

yeah Joe D...classic 175 tone..will never have that great room acoustic tone..but oh what a great recording guitar!!

cheers

ps- listened 2x more..soo nice! the muted thunk and end harmonics...classic tones
    Last edited by neatomic; 12-05-2017 at 11:09 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

What a great-sounding (and looking! ) guitar! Beautifully played, Joe. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Every archtop sounds great in your hands JD. A Thunk-arama arriving just before Xmas - Priceless!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Every archtop sounds great in your hands JD. A Thunk-arama arriving just before Xmas - Priceless!
    Thanks 2b. I love the clarity of this guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    What a great-sounding (and looking! ) guitar! Beautifully played, Joe. Thanks!
    thanks c74!

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah Joe D...classic 175 tone..will never have that great room acoustic tone..but oh what a great recording guitar!!
    cheers
    ps- listened 2x more..soo nice! the muted thunk and end harmonics...classic tones
    thanks Neatomic. I added the ending. It sounds pretty right?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    The sound is wonderful. The notes have that beautiful thunk. Love it.
    Thank you MG. I appreciate it buddy. I love the guitar.

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing Joe ! The tone was very nice - especially in the upper register . I think the added weight of these new 175’s ( along with the stock p/u’s) creates a certain richness / fatness in the tone - especially with the TOM.

Of course - as Marco pointed out these are very different than earlier period 175’s for sure. I had both an early 60’s single and double pickup PAF 175 version many years ago , and they were lighter and very woody sounding with more volume acoustically.

I know many folks ( me included) like the earlier lighter weight 175’s - but these new ones have a certain quality of sound that’s also very appealing ( amplified ) just different.

It’s all a personal preference.

Do enjoy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skittles
    Here’s the only pang of jealousy I feel from this thread. I called and ordered Friday and they’re not setting it up and shipping until next week for me. Lucky you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's too bad! Somehow mine got out on Saturday, just a few hours after I called. It's slowly making its way to Virginia, expected to be here Thursday.

User Info Menu

Love it! Am I the only one who things the new ES175s seem to move tonally a step closer to the L5ces? The complexity of the tone of these new ones is beautiful, but when i switch back and forth between my L5ces and this new ES175, the difference is there, but not as pronounced as I'd expect. If I throw my VOS1959 ES175 or even the Epiphone ES175, the new ES175 sits right in between them and the L5ces in the tone character. I love them all, not a criticism or value judgment, just an observation.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson.
    i can’t speak to the L5CES comparison. But I’ve been playing it for a week now and for the heck of it, I switched back to my HJS18 yesterday. By comparison, the HJS is louder, but requires more effort to get the notes to blossom. And the 175 seems to have infinitely more sustain. Once you find the groove with the HJS it rewards you with its newfound superior playability. But the 175 is an amazing guitar. It can stand up to any guitar. The recipe that Gibson’s have results in a consistently playable and great sounding guitar.
    one other thing. The 57 classic pickups never get enough kudos. They are the best pickups to my ears. Gibson gets justly criticized for the things they do poorly but they rarely get enough credit for their pickups. To me they are the best.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Thanks Lawson.
    i can’t speak to the L5CES comparison. But I’ve been playing it for a week now and for the heck of it, I switched back to my HJS18 yesterday. By comparison, the HJS is louder, but requires more effort to get the notes to blossom. And the 175 seems to have infinitely more sustain. Once you find the groove with the HJS it rewards you with its newfound superior playability. But the 175 is an amazing guitar. It can stand up to any guitar. The recipe that Gibson’s have results in a consistently playable and great sounding guitar.
    one other thing. The 57 classic pickups never get enough kudos. They are the best pickups to my ears. Gibson gets justly criticized for the things they do poorly but they rarely get enough credit for their pickups. To me they are the best.
    Joe D
    No doubt, the 57 classic is a great jazz PUP. They are dark and fat.

Having owned many 175's from 1963 through 2017, I have to agree that Gibson does have a great recipe for this guitar. The Heritage 575 and the Japanese copies do not get the 175 sound all the way (though they get great jazz guitar sounds in their own right). But there are good ones and lemons from all eras and there are some differences in playabilty, looks and even sound from the various iterations.

Vinny has written that the new 175 is a cross between the 59 reissue and the 175's of the 90's. Lawson has written that the new 175 is somewhere between the L-5 and the traditional 175.

Construction wide, there are differences from the 175's of years past to support their positions. On these new 175's, Gibson is using red spruce bracing (as opposed to Sitka spruce) something that to my knowledge they have never done before on a 175 (I Think this will change the tone somewhat). Also they have gone back to a tubeless truss rod (in 1968 Gibson started putting a condom on their trussrods. Some claim this robs the guitar of resonance). The have gone to Grover tuners and a pinned bridge (both of which I believe increases sustain). But these are also heavily constructed guitars weighing nearly 8 pounds (I think the 175's of this era are the heaviest of them all, including the Norlin examples.

I think the new 175's are a bit brighter with a bit more sustain than the 175's of years past ( I think Vinny's description is spot on). They have a decidedly electric sound. Those who want a more acoustic tone would be wise to go pre 1968 or go with the 59 reissue (Beware though, Vinny has seen a lot of lemons in that model). Those who want a darker, more "thunk" laden tone will want a 175 from 1969 through about 2015.

As the 175 is not part of the 2018 model list, these may be the last. Or they may produce these into next year (mine is a built in 2017 example of this 2016 model). But, I would bet that this will be the last time that new 175's will be available for under $2500.

Oh and Bravo on the video JD. That guitar (like all of your guitars) is in the right hands for sure

User Info Menu

Just chiming in on behalf of the Classic 57 pickup. One reason the Epiphone ES175 Premium can come so close to the Gibson is that pickup, I think. I am sure there are better pickups out there, but the Classic 57 nails something that's vital to folks like me who love the classic jazz guitar humbucker sound. Maybe the MHS will take us a step closer, I'd love to get one and try it out, but alas, it's not possible to buy them yet.

Again, lovely playing, Joe. You have given me strong encouragement to just sit down and learn performances by great players, something I'd felt I shouldn't really do before. But now I see that can be a tremendously satisfying thing, and a delight to listeners.