The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 115 of 115

User Info Menu

Are there any issues with this run of Zephyrs Regents that one should be looking out for in particular when looking at a used one? I know Peerless builds tend to be solid (I had a Peerless Gretsch 5xxx series for a bit and it was flawless just not for me), but was just wondering if there's any consensus on common issues that have arisen with them over the last 20 years (neck, truss rod, tuners, bridge, de-lams etc). Realize I may want to swap out the electronics, so can leave that aside.

I'm on the prowl and think I may have located one, but hope it's a good one and would love to know anything (besides sound and playability generally) I should be on the lookout for or is a warning sign.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have never seen or heard of any specific structural issues with Zephyrs…. Or any Epiphone models for that matter. Sometimes sloppy cut nuts, perhaps the occasional protruding fret….. Or it must be that people switch out the electronics and pickups, which in many cases isn’t even necessary. Oh and my Sheraton suffered from an input jack making a loose contact (solved by bending the metal strip back, held out for many many years until I decided to replace the pickups and the whole harness only to find out it didn’t really sound dramatically better after that - SD59s were not a good match in that all maple guitar; too scooped/mid dip).
    Last edited by Little Jay; 06-24-2022 at 12:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks - one more question: Unsung vs Peerless-built MIK Epiphones: any thoughts? I can't imagine anyone has been able to directly compare two Zephyrs (one from each plant), but are there any general thoughts about late 90's to mid-2000 Epis built in one plant vs the other?

User Info Menu

After months of searching, I got my hands on an '03 Zephyr Regent Reissue. I really really lust after a Herb Ellis ES-165, but can't make the leap to that price point right now. First impressions are favorable - plays great, and just a really cool spec as a single pickup, 175 style guitar. Build very much reminds me of an '11 Gretsch 5120 I had - neck is identical. Downsides, however, are the same: neck is pretty thin for my taste, and it has a hint of "plasticky" feel. But overall design is like my ideal.

The Zephyr definitely confirms that this style guitar might be my dream guitar. I wish there was an MIJ version. I have both a Terada built Rozeo (like a 125) and 335 and they are definitely a step up in build quality for not much more $$. IMHO. That might mean biting the bullet and ordering an Archtop Tribute AT105 from Japan; though I'd like to give an AR371 a spin too. The form factor of all these is right in my wheelhouse.

Trying to decide whether it's worth upgrades to wiring/pickup, keep as-is, or move along? But plan to hang onto it for a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mugnut
    After months of searching, I got my hands on an '03 Zephyr Regent Reissue. I really really lust after a Herb Ellis ES-165, but can't make the leap to that price point right now. First impressions are favorable - plays great, and just a really cool spec as a single pickup, 175 style guitar. Build very much reminds me of an '11 Gretsch 5120 I had - neck is identical. Downsides, however, are the same: neck is pretty thin for my taste, and it has a hint of "plasticky" feel. But overall design is like my ideal.

The Zephyr definitely confirms that this style guitar might be my dream guitar. I wish there was an MIJ version. I have both a Terada built Rozeo (like a 125) and 335 and they are definitely a step up in build quality for not much more $$. IMHO. That might mean biting the bullet and ordering an Archtop Tribute AT105 from Japan; though I'd like to give an AR371 a spin too. The form factor of all these is right in my wheelhouse.

Trying to decide whether it's worth upgrades to wiring/pickup, keep as-is, or move along? But plan to hang onto it for a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mugnut

Upgrading the pickup was definitely worth it for me.

User Info Menu

I found one of these for a good price recently. Anyone know what the necks are spec'd like?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chris32895
    I found one of these for a good price recently. Anyone know what the necks are spec'd like?
    What do you mean? Dimensions? Woods used? Nut width?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    What do you mean? Dimensions? Woods used? Nut width?
    Wonderimg specifically about nut width, neck profile and depth. I hear the necks can be thin but I'm wondering how thin.

User Info Menu

Wonderimg specifically about nut width, neck profile and depth. I hear the necks can be thin but I'm wondering how thin.
    Those are going to vary somewhat. If it’s a concern, you really need measurements of that specific guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Mine has a width that is no different from my ES175 or L5ces. I don't remember the exact fraction. At the 5th fret, the neck is .94" from back to front. It's kind of a slightly shallow C profile neck. Playing it is very much like playing an ES175 except the neck is slimmer, but not super-slim.

User Info Menu

That's not too bad. I had an Eastman with a 1st fret profile of 0.85" and I thought that was perfect so looking around there. I did email the seller already asking

User Info Menu

Mine has a width that is no different from my ES175 or L5ces. I don't remember the exact fraction. At the 5th fret, the neck is .94" from back to front. It's kind of a slightly shallow C profile neck. Playing it is very much like playing an ES175 except the neck is slimmer, but not super-slim.
    Do you happen to know generally what kind of fretwire is used?

User Info Menu

Do you happen to know generally what kind of fretwire is used?
    I have no idea. Everybody tells me it makes a difference, but I have guitars with at least 3 different sizes/heights of frets and I just play them all. I've never measured them and wouldn't know how to characterize them anyhow.

User Info Menu

I have no idea. Everybody tells me it makes a difference, but I have guitars with at least 3 different sizes/heights of frets and I just play them all. I've never measured them and wouldn't know how to characterize them anyhow.
    I don't think you notice it unless it's REALLY big or super tiny. At least I don't.