The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

Who are your favorites (just one for each type of guitar, acoustic or electric, please...and I know for many that won't be easy). It can be a factory or an individual luthier.

Here are my picks:

Electric guitars: Gibson

Acoustic guitars: John D'Angelico

Who are YOUR picks?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Electric guitar have to say Victor Baker custom made at reasonable prices. For a production guitar hard to say, but I would say Fender first, then Ibanez and Gibson third.

Acoustic guitars I don't play acoustic much anymore. I had a Martin for many years and was a great sounding guitar, but traded to a friend a few years ago and replaced it with a Taylor which I think is real nice bang for the buck. Never like Gibson acoustics except for one my friend owns. A Gibby model 1500??? acoustic that one sounds and plays great.

User Info Menu

Mike Vanden

User Info Menu

I've been a Gibson owner for a very long time and sorta have the brand loyalty / bigotry burned into my psyche and as it is, for my style, despite Gibson's many detractors Gibson rules the electric world warts and all.

For "modern" Acoustic flat tops I go with Takamine, vintage Martin (modern ones I've played have no soul) Archtop acoustic? I do not have enough in hand playing experience with them so I have no preference.

User Info Menu

I suppose picking my mij elitist epiphones is cheating, but I've never been a Gibson dude. so, gretsch? or terada? I don't know.

acoustics is just as messy. my yairi is the best I've played, but also pretty much the only model I know. is probably be alright with some larrivees, too.

weirdly, if I had to pick one company for both, I want to think I'd go with guild, first. kinda splits the difference all the way around.

User Info Menu

I'd have to go with Gibson and Martin. I have no experience with boutique makers and I live in a place where we rely on what L&M brings in, which is the big manufacturers. Great archtops are few and far between and high end, boutique archtops are non-existent. Jazz isn't very popular in these parts. I've only seen a Gibson ES-175 for sale once and never played it. Doh ! Your favorite electric guitar maker, your favorite acoustic guitar maker-bkw-gif

User Info Menu

Based on personal experience: Electric - Paul Reed Smith - my three Custom 24s arrived in flawless condition. All they ever needed was heavier strings. Just superb performance machines and eye candy as well. Acoustic - Martin - my "1934" GE D-18 simply has the sweetest tone ever, in my book.

User Info Menu

My experience is far from the widest here, but based solely on that, I have to say Benedetto, for both.

User Info Menu

I don't have a lot of experience playing very many guitars.
    I do love my 18" Heritage JS, but still to this day the most amazing acoustic guitar I've ever played was a Jose Ramirez 1A. I played Mood for a Day on it and that was the most memorable playing experience I've ever had. And this was probably 20 years ago. Nothing sounded like this guitar. I was able to feel the notes in the guitar. And it played itself.

I played one Ribbecke Halfling that left a lasting impression too..

I only played one D'Angelico in my life and the sound of my old Excel was pretty magical too. I wish I was able to play more of them.

No matter how screwed up they are now, Gibson will always be my choice.
    I will always be a prideful Gibson boy though. But a certain Wine Red L5 Wes better find its way back into my bro Vinny's arms or that could change things real quick..

Joe D

PS. I have a feeling Stevie is gonna go with a Trenier.. Or maybe a Montleone..

User Info Menu

In the end it's Gibson for me - the guitars that I want to play most of the time.

As for acoustics I'd have to say Washburn, because of a DC60 I owned until recently (one of those tough decisions) and that sounded just perfect.

User Info Menu

Of those I've owned, Gibson and Ibanez for electrics, and Alvarez-Yairi for acoustics, though I think Taylor makes the best flattops nowadays.

I'm pretty ignorant about archtop acoustics and don't have a useful opinion on them.

User Info Menu

The only company I'd say I'm an outright "fan" of is Godin. They make real working musician's guitars, professional instruments that are quite affordable, and I like their spirit of innovation and commitment to using local, sustainable woods in many cases.

User Info Menu

For electrics, I'd say Ibanez or PRS. My $1100 Ibanez is the equal of my $2500 PRS in every way but cosmetics.

For acoustics, I've only ever owned an Ovation, and as much as I liked it at the time (I was young and dumb), it's not one I'd recommend. Looking back, the sound was a little metallic (probably the plastic back). I prefer the throatier, woodier sounds of the more traditional styles.

Where do archtops fit? I've owned two mid-range Epiphone archtops, a 175, and a Joe Pass. Both had passable acoustic sounds but were meant to be played electrically.

User Info Menu

I'm going with Gibson for electrics and Gibson for acoustics.

I'm a big big fan of Gibson Flat tops, even though I also have a very sweet sounding Martin D-28.

Also, I want to give a shout out for Fender electrics. I mean who doesn't like a good telecaster or Stratocaster?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Also, I want to give a shout out for Fender electrics. I mean who doesn't like a good telecaster or Stratocaster?
    I didn't mention Fender because I've only ever owned Fenders in the mid range. But for $500 new, my MexiStrat is a tremendous piece of gear. Solid construction, great sound, nothing fancy. Just a good player's axe. And of course, my Highway 1 Tele is my go-to guitar for jam sessions and rehearsals.

User Info Menu

Gibson / D’Aquisto and or D’Angelico though I will never have one again I did enjoy one for 30 years.

User Info Menu

Along with Mr. Beaumont, I will also go with Godin on electrics and Heritage (old Gibson) or Yairi for acoustics.

User Info Menu

after some reflection, i bet i could do some damage with a hofner or three in my hands. and if this were a high end fantasy scenario, maybe i could use collings for both.

User Info Menu

A few of my favorites I've never owned, but only fantasized owning.

Acoustic archtop:
    A Dana Bourgeois A350, an exceptionally vibrant acoustic archtop that stands alone in my ownership. But it wasn't perfect, as it was a bit compromised in the bass end. Otherwise, it was the best of the best of some 90 plus acoustic and electric guitars I've owned in the past 7 years.

An acoustic Trenier and an Epiphone Broadway are still in my fantasy not yet owned category.

How many here have played an authentic D'Angelico, or D'Aquisto, much less own one?

Best Electric archtop:
    A specific '98 Gibson L5CES, which had the smokiest jazz tone I've yet to hear in home. I've owned 7 Gibson's thus far, but only that '98 has stood out as a true exceptional electric archtop.

BUT, a certain Ibanez 2460 was a very strong 2nd best ever electric tone I've yet to own.

An interesting read for Martin vs. Gibson flat top owners:

Martins vs. Gibsons: The Evolution of American Acoustic Guitars | Collectors Weekly

User Info Menu

Gibson electrics and Martin acoustic....

However, my Gibsons are 1964 and 1952 and my Martin is 1936!

User Info Menu

Acoustic F hole: Late 30's Gibson L5's. I've played a few D'Angelicos, which were great, but the best I've played were those old Gibsons.

Electric: I love Gibsons. I played the L5S (solid body) for decades and a Les Paul before that. But, now, I play Yamaha and I'm impressed by the Yamaha quality, even of their entry level instruments.

User Info Menu

Obviously you can't go wrong with a real D'Angelico but I don't have one. For me this is a hard question because time periods come into question, certain makes at certain times are great and a name used for trade at others.

So I'll pick Ibanez for electrics as they have always made something nice and are consistent. For acoustics I'll pick Bjarton because they had great craftsmanship, materials and are unlikely to be revived as a Chinese brand. For Acoustic Electric I'll pick Ovation, while my favorite time period ends in the mid 1980s they still have some of the old crew turning out the upper end preserving the consistency. I also think Guild rates well as an all arounder.

User Info Menu

electric- leo fender
    arch and flat top-gibson

Your favorite electric guitar maker, your favorite acoustic guitar maker-c36187e41ec41c14bfd5f2d7981dce4a-fender-telecaster-fender-guitars-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Love my Sonntag (Augusta J18) - big acoustic bark, and sweet amplified sound.

I'm happy with my Ovation nylon's amplified sound. (I also find its long neck perfect for studying tunes.)

User Info Menu

Ideally: Electric - Benedetto; acoustic - Martin

Realistically: Electric - Fender or my homebrews; acoustic - Martin

Never been a fan of Gibson anything although I had a Southern Jumbo flat top once that was a great guitar for Kentucky thumbstyle. Gibson electrics just have too many knobs to worry with - one volume and one tone is all you need - just like Leo intended.