The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

Assuming that we actually do move to Mexico (highly likely), I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a head and cab rather than a combo but I'd still like to keep things really small. The idea of a Bud extension cab with a high powered head seems like a good solution. Has anyone tried it that way?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great minds do think alike. My next purchase will likely be a Bud extension cabinet to use with my tiny Quilter MicroBlock amp (and a TC HOF mini reverb). I've been keeping an eye out for a used one, but they never seem to come up on the market. I'll probably wait until the next Reverb.com 15% sale before pulling the trigger.

User Info Menu

Umm. The Bud already is really small. What would be the advantage going to a similarly sized cab plus an amp head? That would seem to be bigger, not smaller.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Umm. The Bud already is really small. What would be the advantage going to a similarly sized cab plus an amp head? That would seem to be bigger, not smaller.
    The advantage is greater flexibility if and when something goes wrong with the power amp. I'm in Mexico and it's impossible to service a Bud here without sending it back to the US and back. That's hard enough fro the US but almost impossible from Mexico (and not much easier from Canada). That's why I've long preferred a separate amp and cab.

User Info Menu

Ah, I see. Not a sonic issue but a practical one.

User Info Menu

It shouldn't be too hard to have a speaker jack installed in your existing Bud and plugging your chosen backup amp head into it if it fails.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    It shouldn't be too hard to have a speaker jack installed in your existing Bud and plugging your chosen backup amp head into it if it fails.
    Probably a good idea and one I should have done before we left Canada. (I probably should have kept one of my MB200's too).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Probably a good idea and one I should have done before we left Canada. (I probably should have kept one of my MB200's too).
    You won't be back in Canada or US before you move to Mexico (if you move) ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    You won't be back in Canada or US before you move to Mexico (if you move) ?
    We're not quite certain on the move yet but we're getting pretty close to 100%. We absolutely fell in love with Guadalajara and at the moment that's the most like place for us to settle. We'll almost certainly be driving back to Canada in late March/early April to take care of some personal business and to ship our remaining stuff here. (We no longer have a home there and we're already down to a small storage unit of possessions, so it's not going to be all that difficult). I'll try to get my gear in order at that point but in the mean time, my Bud had a component failure and I'm looking at either having to buy a new amp while I'm here or play through my EHX headphone amp until then).

If I don't want to play out on this trip, not having an actual amp isn't a complete disaster. My most recent video with the Forshage was recorded direct and everyone seem to really like the sound and I actually enjoy playing through the headphone amp, especially if I'm trying to work on technique. I really have nowhere to hide the flaws when I play through headphones and that seems to help me clean things up a bit.

So I have a few months to consider the path moving forward and at this point I'm really just gathering information but one thing I am learning here is that if we really are going to live in Mexico then I have to be better prepared for all contingencies.

User Info Menu

Guitar Center in Tacoma has a used MB200 for $200US. It could probably be shipped to Guadalajara. A jack can easily be installed in the Bud for use as a speaker cab.

User Info Menu

Like sgosnell said, keep the Bud as a mini cab (you can even "lighten" it further if there are transformers, heat sinks etc) and get another (or two) MB200 before you go back to Mexico. Good luck !

User Info Menu

Hi -- unearthing this thread to see if anyone is using this extension cab yet, or their newer model, a 4x3" (w/tweeter) cab?

Thoughts?

User Info Menu

I too have been wondering how versatile (and how loud) the Bud might be with one of the two available extension cabinets.

User Info Menu

So nobody has/plays one? Interesting …

User Info Menu

I just checked Henriksen's website.
    It looks like they have stopped offering the Bud extension cabinet with the 6.5" Eminence Beta speaker plus tweeter.
    Instead they now only offer the Ray, with 4 - 3" Eminence Alpha drivers plus tweeter.
    It weighs 10 pounds and lists for $599 (which seems a bit pricey to me).

User Info Menu

Yeah, Henriksen always seems a bit pricey. But they make very nice stuff.
    I wish the new "Blu" was $750 or something. It looks great to me.

There is a certain irony in taking a micro amp and turning it into a mini-stack with extension speakers.
    IMO, it sorta defeats the initial micro premise.

I went this route when I got the DV Mark Little Jazz, and then I thought I needed an extension cab, so I got a 2x8 ear candy. Sure, it was a nice mini-stack, but I also realized after the fact that it was much easier to lug around a bigger combo.

My Henriksen 110er does the same job better and easier. So the ear candy cab is gone, but the Little Jazz remains -- it's a great little amp too. I love little amps -- I would love to try every one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    I just checked Henriksen's website.
    It looks like they have stopped offering the Bud extension cabinet with the 6.5" Eminence Beta speaker plus tweeter.
    Instead they now only offer the Ray, with 4 - 3" Eminence Alpha drivers plus tweeter.
    It weighs 10 pounds and lists for $599 (which seems a bit pricey to me).
    I bought the Ray extension cabinet on clearance from the Music Zoo ($460).

It is a useful addition to the Bud (or Blu) in terms of spreading out the sound and getting a different signature but it does not add extra loudness due to the low sensitivity of the Eminence Alpha 3 drivers (88.6 dB).

So I think it adds very little in a setting where loud instruments are present but would be helpful in solo or small string ensemble type contexts.

I discovered however that I can use this cab connected to tube amps that are overdriven and enjoy the overdriven sound without bothering the people around as much.

It is feather light at less than 5 kg (10 lbs) and only 9 x 9 x 9 inches ( 23 x 23 x 23 cm).

User Info Menu

Interesting about the sensitivity/volume on this, Medblues -- thanks for the review!

I've used my Blu with a "regular" extension cab, and it increases the volume markedly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Interesting about the sensitivity/volume on this, Medblues -- thanks for the review!

I've used my Blu with a "regular" extension cab, and it increases the volume markedly!
    Do you mean another cab *instead* of the internal speaker, or *in addition* to? How do the Ohms match up?

User Info Menu

I play jazz using the Blu with the Ray ext speaker on a L5. The Ray is not so much louder as its sound is very much 'bigger" with undistorted loudness for most any jazz room . It is pricey but I'm quite happy using it. With the custom well made canvas carry bags, the 2 pieces are easy to manage. 12 and 10 lbs. I use a small mic stand (collapsible) less than 1lb; to raise it off the floor as the Ray is also ported out the bottom. Henriksen was very helpful and even sent me a mic stand adapter for it ...free. I also play a Henriksen 110. It is a wonderful amp, but at 23lbs, it now seems too heavy ; ) .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Do you mean another cab *instead* of the internal speaker, or *in addition* to? How do the Ohms match up?
    I mean a "not-the-Ray" cab.
    So, the Blu plus an 8 Ohm cab (total 4 Ohms). [The Blu states an 8 Ohm extension must be used]

User Info Menu

On gigs with a louder rhythm section I use the Bud with a home-made 1x10" (Eminence Beta) cab - this about doubles the volume and it adds the needed bass. The added benefit is that you can stack the Bud on top of the cab and the sound gets spread out better, you need a little less volume and you hear yourself much better ....

User Info Menu

I have the original Bud (I think my serial number is like 34 or something) and extension cab. I don't always run the extension cab--but sometimes I do. I bought it offered certain flexibility of placing it across the stage for others' benefit (when they can't hear the guitar), or for my own benefit facing me, as a monitor. In my dance & rock bands, I use it as a "Bud Stack" for extra "oomph."

I use square plastic milk crates to carry the two cubes, then they convert into the "stack" at the gig. I "cage" the extension cabinet under one milk crate and wire to the head through the plentiful holes in the crate. Then I use an attractive cloth to cover the milk crates. (see images).

If I am only using the amp cube, I'll fill the extra milk crate with other gig gear so that I can still elevate the Bud to that height as in the photos.

Henriksen The Bud Extension Cab ... Anyone running one?-img_1056-jpgHenriksen The Bud Extension Cab ... Anyone running one?-img_1059-jpg

User Info Menu

I Have an Bud and love it, found a Ray cab used for a good price, i didnt like it..was strange, sounded really bright to me. Not sure why, i also figured it was defeating the purpose of the portability of the bud bringing another cab so i sold it. Now what i should have tried first is my pair of FBT Verve 8ma's. They are a small powered coax wedge. Hooked it up the other day and it was glorious, they are an FRFR speaker so what the bud feeds it sounds pretty much identical. here is one that has sold but you can see the pics

FBT Verve 8mA | Reverb

User Info Menu

If (when?) I get a Bud, I'd like an extension speaker cabinet.
    But The Ray with 4 3" speakers and a tweeter? I don't think so.
    I've identified this as the likely candidate:
    https://earcandycabs.com/product/mr-watts-1x8/