The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

Thank you for the education!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

What a great education on the early L5. Thanks for taking the time to make a great video. Nice playing. Informative.

User Info Menu

This vid also kept reminding me of the ' 34 L-5 Reissue I used to have....

...Not sure which feeling starts first - -the one feeling on just how close Gibson got to nailing the classic sound ... ( but just not the volume ), or -

how much I still really miss it !!

User Info Menu

So, here she is post-refretting, and after finally dialing in the setup. Since my regular tech didn't do the refret and the guy who did the refret doesn't exactly know how I like my guitars set up, it took several trips back and forth to get her dialed in.

The high E could still use some tweaking, but I can play the guitar pretty effortlessly and still have serious acoustic volume, so good enough for now.

The backing track is the same guitar as well.

User Info Menu

Great. Sounds just like Charlie Christian to me. Nice guitar too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    So, here she is post-refretting, and after finally dialing in the setup. Since my regular tech didn't do the refret and the guy who did the refret doesn't exactly know how I like my guitars set up, it took several trips back and forth to get her dialed in.

The high E could still use some tweaking, but I can play the guitar pretty effortlessly and still have serious acoustic volume, so good enough for now.

The backing track is the same guitar as well.

Thanks Jonathan.

There's another example of an instrument being right where it belongs - in good hands !!
    That's nice playing as always ! What a treat !
    And thanks for the lesson !

Sincerely,
    Dennis

User Info Menu

Jonathan,

A real eye opener of a thread for me, yours sounds so good. Thanks.

Big
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 02-08-2018 at 12:11 AM.

User Info Menu

It's nice to see a fine old instrument restored to peak playability, and played so well! Thank you!

User Info Menu

Man! Isn’t that just the best sounding (and looking) thing ever?! You have impeccable tastes in guitars, Jonathan. I am jonesing for an old L7 so bad I can taste it. Hope it approximate that sound when I do get it... Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Fantastic guitars being played in the style for which they were designed. I love your playing - and the period correct bow tie- so befitting.

These are the guitars from which all acoustic Archtops are compared - and for good reason.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive

Sounds great, as usual. Which mic/amp setup are you going to use with it?

User Info Menu

Always exciting to see your videos, Jonathan. That guitar sounds perfect for your style. Really cuts through the mix without sounding thin or harsh. Now that you've gotten it refret, I imagine chord melody is a bit easier on it. I'd love to hear you play a chord melody on it.

There was an old video from retrofret of George playing a 39 L5p. That sound has always haunted me. Probably one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard.

User Info Menu

Wonderful thread! Enjoy those guitars! I am sure they will enjoy being in your hands!

User Info Menu

OK I've finally had the time to sit down with the first vid you posted. Just about the most exciting 20+ minutes of acoustic archtop talking and playing I've come across. The first thing I'd like to say is: screw the guitars, those hands! Great playing, completely natural. An amazing swing guitar vid. I'll go over it to transcribe stuff as soon as I can.

Then, yes, two of the best acoustic archtops around with all the relevant info to go with them. Wonderful, each one of them in its own special way. I've learned stuff.

So (belatedly) happy new guitar day, and thanks for putting that vid on!

User Info Menu

Jonathan,

The '39 after the refret and setup sounds outstanding. Each string, up and down the neck, just rings out. The guitar seems perfect for what you have in mind--swing band gigs.

Your musical sense really channels the late-30s/early-40s to a tee.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jonathon!

Really appreciate your in depth demo's of these great guitars and the generous sharing of your knowledge and observations. As you say, it's not common to be able to compare any of these guitars back to back, so your videos are a valuable resource.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the kind words. Here's a couple more videos of the L-5.

This one was the week before it got dialed in:

And this is after:

And here's a bit of the guitar in context with my big band on "Topsy":

User Info Menu

Sits in the band mix perfectly I think.

User Info Menu

Those first two vids beautifully illustrate the value of a good set-up. The guitar sounds fine in the first, but fine in the second. Outstanding playing. Also, you've got a great band, there!

User Info Menu

Funny, I hadn't actually A/B'd the two videos, and WOW, you really can hear it. Dang. I just figured people might notice a slight difference, but that's significant.

User Info Menu

Yeah that guitar sounds terrific post set up. The playing helps of course :-)

User Info Menu

Johnathan,

You SCORED!! That guitar is an absolute BEAST!

Still holds it's tone in high registers (like at the end of After You've Gone)

Sure has me GASSING big time!

Now to attempt to partially highjack this thread... my apologies...

Whilst you were at Shoenberg's did you happen to try out the 68 Johnny Smith?

If so, what was your opinion... if any??

Seems I am bitten by the "Blonde Gibson Bug" that has so far affected yourself and Big Mike..
    I seem to have caught a bit of it myself, as I am sniffling and every time I sneeze it sounds like...

Giiiibbbbsooonn!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papawooly
    Jonathan,
    Whilst you were at Shoenberg's did you happen to try out the 68 Johnny Smith?

If so, what was your opinion... if any??
    Giiiibbbbsooonn!!
    Thanks man, cheers!

Sadly, we got to Eric's not long before closing, so I didn't have much of a chance to try anything else out.
    I did check out the Blonde Epi Deluxe which was good.

That said, I don't think I would know what to do with a Johnny Smith. It's not like it would be set up to be an acoustic cannon, so I probably would've thought it "meh" even if it was great for being a Johnny Smith.

User Info Menu

It sounds great and I really enjoyed the playing. The improvement in fret buzz after setup is striking. I wonder how an X-braced Advanced model (e.g. my ‘37 L-7) would compare to those two in the same recording setup.
    Last edited by KirkP; 02-14-2018 at 03:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Very nice ....

Is that the guitar by itself I hear with the band ... or is there a microphone of some type directly supporting the guitar ... other than the mics recording the whole band?