The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Whit Smith of Hot Club of Cowtown uses a DeArmond guitar mic on a stick on his L-5 and you'd swear he was acoustic, but his leads have that Charlie Christian tone, great stuff. Those western swing guys like Whit, Ranger Doug, and Bruce Forman in Cowbop really have great swing chops and sound. Bruce really sells the electric rhythm sound.

I play in a couple swing bands with a tele or a thin electric archtop. I find if you get the job done, nobody else in the band cares what you use. Do we care what kick pedal the drummer uses, as long as it doesn't squeak?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjazz
    Did it for years, my advice, tune to 442, something a horn player told me, they all do, to try and stand out in front.
    Unfortunately, in this town all pianos tune to 442. Besides, while raising the pitch a few Hertz works for a horn (and I know a Russian classical violin player who does it, too), it doesn't necessarily work when comping.

Johnnyjazz, what's your experience with comping?

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Whit Smith of Hot Club of Cowtown uses a DeArmond guitar mic on a stick on his L-5 and you'd swear he was acoustic, but his leads have that Charlie Christian tone, great stuff. Those western swing guys like Whit, Ranger Doug, and Bruce Forman in Cowbop really have great swing chops and sound. Bruce really sells the electric rhythm sound.

I play in a couple swing bands with a tele or a thin electric archtop. I find if you get the job done, nobody else in the band cares what you use. Do we care what kick pedal the drummer uses, as long as it doesn't squeak?
    I am, indeed, getting more and more interested in finding a budget-friendly carved top guitar (there are options I can see!) and fitting it with a DeA pickup, possibly an old one. Still undecided which one – every youtube clip I watch (including those by Jonathan with his FHC and Marc Schwartz with his super chief 1100) is stunning. I guess it would be “the first oldie but goldie that comes my way”.

(Sometimes we forget about the artists: it’s of course they? who make that sweet music and get the credit, not the pickups!)
    Last edited by radiofm74; 11-28-2017 at 01:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Unfortunately, in this town all pianos tune to 442. Besides, while raising the pitch a few Hertz works for a horn (and I know a Russian classical violin player who does it, too), it doesn't necessarily work when comping.

Johnnyjazz, what's your experience with comping?
    Experience with comping? Well it is great to do when everyone is swinging, the situation i was in was that i was the only rhythm instrument, just me on guitar and 7 others on lead, sax, trumpet, clarinet and violin. That is fine until the trumpet player shouts " right John take a solo", obviously that means i stop comping and the drive finishes, so have to improvise.

Hope this gives you an idea. John.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjazz
    Experience with comping? Well it is great to do when everyone is swinging, the situation i was in was that i was the only rhythm instrument, just me on guitar and 7 others on lead, sax, trumpet, clarinet and violin. That is fine until the trumpet player shouts " right John take a solo", obviously that means i stop comping and the drive finishes, so have to improvise.

Hope this gives you an idea. John.

It does! Very nice, thanks!

User Info Menu

Nice playing, but maybe I didn‘t make myself clear. When you comp, do you tune to 442, too? How does that work out in a band context?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo

Whit Smith is one of my favorite guitar players on earth, but I don't think I'd ever mistake his electrified tone for an acoustic. And while a formidable player, and a great bebopper, I don't really see Bruce Forman as an example for swing rhythm guitar. Perhaps I'm not familiar with the work where he plays rhythm - feel free to post a youtube clip, and I'll be happy to stand corrected.

And to the OP's post, Ranger Doug doesn't solo, but he sure is an expert on swing rhythm.

And I'd only add that while I don't care about the bass drum pedal in question, I do care about the beater - if they had a hard beater and excessive muffling, then bass drum wouldn't sound right, and it would mess up the time-feel. As with anything, a great player can make less than ideal gear work, but it really takes a great player and a LOT of extra effort.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Nice playing, but maybe I didn‘t make myself clear. When you comp, do you tune to 442, too? How does that work out in a band context?

My 50 year old ears think it sounds right, thats all.
    Before playing, you all tune up, if the trumpet player who is at 442 ask me to wring out a Bb for everyone else to follow then we are on the same sheet.
    I also have my bridge slightly sharp, the top strings, more so after the 12th fret, become flat the more you play, sweat, skin build-up etc. The low E, is slightly flat because it vibrates more and will start to go sharp.

Once again, this sounds fine to me, we all like different flavoured crisps.

User Info Menu

The trick I know is for the soloist to tune a little sharp so as to stand out against the accompaniment. I thought that‘s what you were talking about.

But maybe we should stop hijacking a perfectly fine thread and start a new one if we really want to get into the subleties.

BTW I like sea salt and pepper best.