The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What is the WORST Gibson brand pup?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Burstbuckers

7 35.00%
  • 57 Classic

0 0%

4 20.00%

1 5.00%
  • MHS

2 10.00%
  • 500T

1 5.00%
  • Other

5 25.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    AFAIK the Custombuckers come from the Nashville Custom shop while the MHS come from the Memphis plant. Sometimes I think Gibson does a small tweak and a rename just so they can market a "new and improved" product. Each new humbucker is the closest thing to a real PAF yet according to the Gibson ads. Marketing to a saturated market takes "imagination".(...)
    What else would You do if You were a innovator or a marketing manager in a company which made its most desired product in 1959?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can't say that I have ever really disliked any Gibson pickup strongly. I don't like most humbuckers though, much prefer warm single coils like CCs and P90s.
    The P-100 seems a bit of a miss though because a P-90 would be so much better, even with the hum.

A pickup that hasn't been mentioned here is the Bill Lawrence "Super-humbucker" that was fitted to the Gibson L6-S.
    Least favorite recent Gibson brand pickup-l61-jpgLeast favorite recent Gibson brand pickup-l62-jpg
    They were potted in epoxy - used strong ceramic magnets and had fairly low dc resistance of about 6.0k/ohms.
    I used to have a 1977 Gibson L6-S, it had a pair of these. They were brighter than a typical PAF style pickup, they had a distinctly glassy top end. With the tone control rolled off they were very warm sounding, but slightly less midrangey than a PAF.

The bridge pickup was almost in Telecaster-land. I think a set of these would be absolutely fantastic in a darker sounding Les Paul.

I don't think they were particularly successful/popular but they're an interesting pickup, and as someone who prefers single coils, these were a humbucker I liked a lot.

User Info Menu

bill lawrence/lorenzo/etc etc was like the einstein of pickups!..had 50 year run from germany to usa...always cutting edge genius...and every current pickup maker owes him a huge debt!

if there was a guitar hall of fame..he'd be in there with orville and d'angelico...pickup theory guru to so many..inc dan & kent armstrong

Least favorite recent Gibson brand pickup-bill_lawrence-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    bill lawrence/lorenzo/etc etc was like the einstein of pickups!..had 50 year run from germany to usa...always cutting edge genius...and every current pickup maker owes him a huge debt!

if there was a guitar hall of fame..he'd be in there with orville and d'angelico...pickup theory guru to so many..inc dan & kent armstrong

Least favorite recent Gibson brand pickup-bill_lawrence-jpg

cheers
    Amen to that.
    He really was a visionary, as well as being a great jazz guitarist. I kind of think of him as being Germany's answer to Les Paul. I have a couple sets of his L-90 twin blade humbuckers and the Telecaster Microcoils. They're so ?good.