Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 125
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hi Everyone,
    Here is the video as promised.
    This guitar is spectacular. Anyone can play it. It is a masterpiece of sound, workmanship and playability.
    The crickets still show up now and then. The pickup will be changed out eventually, but I can live with it for now.
    My plan for the day was to bring the guitar to the gravesite where Joe Pass is buried which is only 8 miles from my home, and play this for him. But the cold rainy weather did not cooperate. But Like Vinny says, Joe Pass is up in heaven with God right now. And I feel his spirit in me when I play.
    Thank you everyone for the great times I have here with you.
    Happy Holidays to everyone.
    Joe DeNisco


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Way to go Joe! Really loved this tribute. Sounds terrific, and inspires me to get the holiday tune book out, as well as listen to some Pass today! Thank you brother!

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    My plan for the day was to bring the guitar to the gravesite where Joe Pass is buried which is only 8 miles from my home, and play this for him.
    Can you share where? That’s a pilgrimage I’d need to make when next in Watchung.

    And great vid as usual. The hat is an especially nice touch!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Simply gorgeous, well the playing and guitar anyway. The gnome .... we'll just say Santa goes for talented elfs. What a sound!

  6. #5

    User Info Menu


    It really sounds great. It’s awesome to see the transition: from you liking it to having it so well set up for your personal feel you’re just a crazy man having a ball playing it !!!

    Joyful Holidays Paisan

    Big

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Ha I remember a while back you used to put up vids with no shirt on so the xmas suit is a nice bonus

    love the sound - and love the playing , as always !

    Thanks for another enjoyable video
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by skittles View Post
    Can you share where? That’s a pilgrimage I’d need to make when next in Watchung.
    Joe Pass (1929-1994) - Find A Grave Memorial
    -- Bob

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    a nice start to the holidays!!

    sounding good Joe D!

    enjoy

    cheers

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    No one commented so I will. What happened to your pick ? First time I see you playing without it. It definitely makes a difference.
    -----------------------------------

    "The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Bro this is your crown jewel ! Very impressed with your right hand finger style. Some songs must be played with your fingers instead of a pick. JP could not do it better. I was watching your hands and it was just like watching JP play.
    You hit your pinnacle of excellence. My wife watched it and said why can't you play nice and pretty like that. As you know she takes no prisoners. Bravo Bro ! OUTSTANDING rendition.

    P.S. thank you for the G. My man

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Absolutely beautiful!

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Sweet JD. OK, you have the Gibson Johnny Smith and the Heritage Johnny Smith. When do you add the Guild Johnny Smith to the collection?
    _____________________________________________
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Sweet JD. OK, you have the Gibson Johnny Smith and the Heritage Johnny Smith. When do you add the Guild Johnny Smith to the collection?
    Thank you SS.
    Probably never. the guitars I have are more than enough. The last will be either an L4 or an L5.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer View Post
    Absolutely beautiful!
    thanks Zig!

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Bro this is your crown jewel ! Very impressed with your right hand finger style. Some songs must be played with your fingers instead of a pick. JP could not do it better. I was watching your hands and it was just like watching JP play.
    You hit your pinnacle of excellence. My wife watched it and said why can't you play nice and pretty like that. As you know she takes no prisoners. Bravo Bro ! OUTSTANDING rendition.
    P.S. thank you for the G. My man
    Bro, you and I both know I couldn’t carry Joe Passes jockstrap.. But not many people can and I am proud of how far I’ve come. I have some things to work on. Your post means a lot buddy. Thank you God for giving us guitars. And the ability to do something with them.
    thanks bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    a nice start to the holidays!!
    sounding good Joe D!
    enjoy
    cheers
    Thanks Neatomic.
    Quote Originally Posted by fws6 View Post
    Ha I remember a while back you used to put up vids with no shirt on so the xmas suit is a nice bonus
    love the sound - and love the playing , as always !
    Thanks for another enjoyable video
    Ha! Thanks fws6. More surprises coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post

    It really sounds great. It’s awesome to see the transition: from you liking it to having it so well set up for your personal feel you’re just a crazy man having a ball playing it !!!

    Joyful Holidays Paisan

    Big
    As you know I couldn’t have done it without you Mikey. I hope you enjoyed that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
    Simply gorgeous, well the playing and guitar anyway. The gnome .... we'll just say Santa goes for talented elfs. What a sound!
    I’m glad you liked it, I think?..
    Thanks buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone View Post
    Way to go Joe! Really loved this tribute. Sounds terrific, and inspires me to get the holiday tune book out, as well as listen to some Pass today! Thank you brother!
    Awesome bro. Thanks my man.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Very nice Joe, you should stick to fingerstyle, opens up a whoooooole new world.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Wow, Joe. What a sound. That's The One!

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post
    Very nice Joe, you should stick to fingerstyle, opens up a whoooooole new world.
    Joe is torn between 2 heroes. JS & JP

  18. #17

    User Info Menu



    Another Joe...

    Heritage 18" Johnny Smith ~ White Christmas-george-lois-esquire-covers-black-santa_qd3dq9-jpg
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Wonderful, Joe, as I knew it would be.

    Little side story: Joe Pass had requested that he be cremated, but the family was very torn over this, wanting to bury him, not cremate. I was at the funeral and had corresponded with Joe in the last year of his life, and I was among several people they consulted about Joe's desire to be cremated. It was really breaking hearts.

    Along with others, I pointed out that in heaven, Joe has no unhappiness, and nothing can spoil his unhappiness. The last thing he'd want is for his request to cause pain among his family members. So I advised them to give him a traditional burial, which they did. I was not the only person advising them, but for some reason I was asked.

    It is a story I have not often told, but one which gives some happiness, however bitter-sweet.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Magnificent! That Heritage Johnny Smith sounds like an orchestra...especially in your capable hands.

    Happy Holidays, Joe.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    I gotta feeling the other Joe can hear every note.

    Thanks for the inspiration. You da' man!

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Joe,

    You have gotten the 18 all figured out. You play and sound great on White Christmas. Thanks for the holiday clip.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Joe,
    Beautiful playing ! An interesting arrangement with many twists and turns -I loved it.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Just. Awesome. Thank you Joe, and Happy Holidays to you and yours!
    Best regards, k

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Joe , just got home ,9,15 pm and found an Elf in the room , you've broken out
    the Courvoisier Brandy early ! JP will be smiling down on you for this
    homage, compliments to you on this latest achievement, Happy Holidays.
    007

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Conclusion: you love this guitar so much that you want nothing to come between her and you, not even a pick !
    -----------------------------------

    "The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say, "No, you can't play today." I keep at it anyway, though." Jim Hall

  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    No one commented so I will. What happened to your pick ? First time I see you playing without it. It definitely makes a difference.
    Medblues, my picks were in a safe place during this one. I like to play both ways. This guitar fingerstyle built into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjazz View Post
    Very nice Joe, you should stick to fingerstyle, opens up a whoooooole new world.
    thanks buddy. You are right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Wow, Joe. What a sound. That's The One!
    18” bro! You got one coming and you are going to make it sound glorious.

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Joe is torn between 2 heroes. JS & JP
    Thats 2 pretty formidable hero’s I would say.

  28. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post

    Another Joe...
    Gettin in the spirit Jabbs.

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Wonderful, Joe, as I knew it would be.
    Little side story: Joe Pass had requested that he be cremated, but the family was very torn over this, wanting to bury him, not cremate. I was at the funeral and had corresponded with Joe in the last year of his life, and I was among several people they consulted about Joe's desire to be cremated. It was really breaking hearts.

    Along with others, I pointed out that in heaven, Joe has no unhappiness, and nothing can spoil his unhappiness. The last thing he'd want is for his request to cause pain among his family members. So I advised them to give him a traditional burial, which they did. I was not the only person advising them, but for some reason I was asked.
    It is a story I have not often told, but one which gives some happiness, however bitter-sweet.
    Lawson, That is very interesting. I had no idea you were that close to the virtuoso. Amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler View Post
    Magnificent! That Heritage Johnny Smith sounds like an orchestra...especially in your capable hands.
    Happy Holidays, Joe.
    Aww.. that’s buddy. It’s really an excellent guitar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat View Post
    I gotta feeling the other Joe can hear every note.
    Thanks for the inspiration. You da' man!
    Flat, thanks brother.

  29. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    Joe,
    You have gotten the 18 all figured out. You play and sound great on White Christmas. Thanks for the holiday clip.
    GT,
    The pleasure was all mine. The HJS18 took me the distance. I almost threw in the towel. But I knew something was there. I didn’t give up and I am reaping the rewards. Thanks buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    Joe,
    Beautiful playing ! An interesting arrangement with many twists and turns -I loved it.
    Nutman, (your new nickname)..
    Thank you bro. Joe Pass arrangements take you on a thrill ride. The trick is going to be remembering all this without forgetting too many other things. Hard drive is about maxed out st this point..
    As long as I don’t forget Earl Klugh’s Cry a Little While then I’m good..
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Just. Awesome. Thank you Joe, and Happy Holidays to you and yours!
    Thanks C74. Happy Holidays to you too buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx View Post
    Joe , just got home ,9,15 pm and found an Elf in the room , you've broken out
    the Courvoisier Brandy early ! JP will be smiling down on you for this
    homage, compliments to you on this latest achievement, Happy Holidays.
    007
    Foxman, I hope June likes it. It’s a melody everyone knows and it never gets old. Throw a couple of logs on the fire and think about the times of your life. Thank you brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by medblues View Post
    Conclusion: you love this guitar so much that you want nothing to come between her and you, not even a pick !
    I’m trying to be like you Medblues. I’m glad I got another HJS.
    Thank you buddy!

  30. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post


    Another Joe...

    Heritage 18" Johnny Smith ~ White Christmas-george-lois-esquire-covers-black-santa_qd3dq9-jpg
    1963. That was the year I was born Jabbs. That’s was one of the scariest dudes ever. Then, Cassius Clay came along with his phantom punch.. I always called it the over-under punch. It would have knocked me out but it should NOT have decked Liston. Nobody even thought a truck could knock him out..

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Very nice ...

    Can you recommend a good place to get a transcription of that and any other JS Christmas arrangements?

    I need to work up a few Christmas tunes myself


  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Oh man Joe, that sounded awesome! That totally made my day. Masterful, authoritative playing and what a huge, beautiful sound that guitar has, absolutely incredible! (Incidentally, my wife made a similar comment to Vinny’s :-))

    What do you find wrong with the pickup? It sounds really good to me - crisp, clear and balanced. Fixing the electronics did improve the sound of this already great sounding guitar (it was the exact same on my SE - pickup wrongly wired - sounded much better after my luthier fixed it. I hope these things have improved now at Heritage under the new ownership).

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Sound? Terrific. All notes perfectly defined. Deeeeep basses and chiming high ends.
    Dynamics? A lot. That's usually the weak point of a solo performance.
    Sensitiveness? As much as in a Napolitan song.
    Technical skills? Plenty, and tastely used to serve your sensitiveness.
    Suit? Perfect match.

    Thanks buddy to share this with us.

    Have a wonderful Xmas.
    Archtop YT Channel: www.youtube.com/+FredArchtop

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    That was beautiful, thank you. What amp were you using?

    I love that Heritage too. I have a few including a 575 I bought 10 years ago hoping to get into more jazz. One day when the demands of life are less (career and kids etc etc) I hope to be lucky enough to do so. For now I noodle around a little when time permits and I'll start to visit here more, great site.

    I wasn't aware Joe's grave was in NJ, one day maybe a pilgrimage would be in order. I saw him once in a small room at Kean College during my short tenure as a music major there in 76 or so, incredible to say the least.

  35. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Archtop View Post
    Sound? Terrific. All notes perfectly defined. Deeeeep basses and chiming high ends.
    Dynamics? A lot. That's usually the weak point of a solo performance.
    Sensitiveness? As much as in a Napolitan song.
    Technical skills? Plenty, and tastely used to serve your sensitiveness.
    Suit? Perfect match.
    Thanks buddy to share this with us.
    Have a wonderful Xmas.
    Freddie, Wow! Thank you sir! That was a great post to read first thing in the morning.
    The pleasure was all mine! Merry Christmas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank67 View Post
    Oh man Joe, that sounded awesome! That totally made my day. Masterful, authoritative playing and what a huge, beautiful sound that guitar has, absolutely incredible! (Incidentally, my wife made a similar comment to Vinny’s :-))
    What do you find wrong with the pickup? It sounds really good to me - crisp, clear and balanced. Fixing the electronics did improve the sound of this already great sounding guitar (it was the exact same on my SE - pickup wrongly wired - sounded much better after my luthier fixed it. I hope these things have improved now at Heritage under the new ownership).
    Thank you Frank. Tell your wife that Santa Guiseppe will play for her anytime.
    The guitar has a wide range of sound. It’s at its best with a drop D. Johnny would approve.
    The broken stock Heritage pickup is operating as a single coil. The coil on the bridge side is dead. Already poorly shielded, now it picks up all types of interference in my signal chain. I think the majority of the tweety sound is generated by my computer. But this is my only guitar that picks up the sound.
    After speaking to Kent Armstrong he told me he has been trying to talk Heritage into using his pickups for years. No go. They think their solution is the best for them. Oh well.. what do we know..

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Very nice ...
    Can you recommend a good place to get a transcription of that and any other JS Christmas arrangements?
    I need to work up a few Christmas tunes myself
    Thanks Bluedawg.
    Ive been working on this song for 2 years. I learned it by ear. Along the way, I’ve been transcribing it into Excel as I learned it. I will make it into a pdf and post it here. Give me a day or so.

  36. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender View Post
    That was beautiful, thank you. What amp were you using?

    I love that Heritage too. I have a few including a 575 I bought 10 years ago hoping to get into more jazz. One day when the demands of life are less (career and kids etc etc) I hope to be lucky enough to do so. For now I noodle around a little when time permits and I'll start to visit here more, great site.

    I wasn't aware Joe's grave was in NJ, one day maybe a pilgrimage would be in order. I saw him once in a small room at Kean College during my short tenure as a music major there in 76 or so, incredible to say the least.
    Thank you. I am not using an amp. I go direct into my Zoom G3 and into my PC.
    One day I will try and mic my amp. I’ve wondered about that. But I still need an interface to covert the signal to digital, I’m afraid I will still need my G3.
    Yes Joe Is buried at the Resurrection Cemetary in Piscataway.
    This is the best site on the Internet. Lots of great people here.

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    No amp eh? Wow I would have guessed old tube amp with reverb. I have no clue what a G3 is but it sounds good. Thanks again. Inspiring on several levels.

  39. #38
    Hey guys,
    So I set the Heritage aside for a day, just to give my other babies some love. I remembered I changed the strings on my Gibson JS about two weeks ago and haven’t played it since. She was overdue.
    All things being equal, new strings, same environment.. My luthier actually made the HJS easier to play. Not by much. And I thoroughly enjoy the Solidity if the GJS. With new strings, I hear that same swirling of sound in the body on the GJS. The 17” Gibson feels like a runner in my hands. I almost feel like breaking out some VanHalen on it.

    I am finding the diversity of having very different guitars at my side is very pleasing. I think I am appreciating it more now. I don’t find myself thinking about what I don’t have. Quite frankly, because I really don’t WANT anything else now. God, I am so fortunate to have these beautiful guitars and thank you for giving me the ability to play them.

    Thanks guys. Like always, being able to share my musings with my bro’s really enhances this whole experience for me.
    Thank you.

    Joe D

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    Heritage 18" Johnny Smith ~ White Christmas-h-schachtel-quote-happiness-not-having-what-you-want-but-wanting-jpg
    _____________________________________________
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    I'm glad you're satisfied with your guitar collection. There is a burden with the eternal search for perfection. At some point the only sane thing is to call what you have good enough.

    Your sans pick playing has a very different sound. I do like the organic attack.

    Love your playing, Joe.
    MG

  42. #41
    Thanks MG. And thanks again for rescuing this guitar and getting it to where it should be.
    I really am happy with the stuff I have. And it’s not me tricking myself into it either.
    I appreciate the nice words. I hope your shoulder is better.
    Joe D

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    Irving Berlin must have imagined you playing that song when he wrote it. Your playing is faultless and serenely harmonious, the melody never gets buried by the arrangement.

    I love hearing you play. Buono Natale to you and yours.

    Tony D.

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    The family knew who to ask for advice in time of trouble. It speaks well of their judgment and you.

    Tony D.

  45. #44
    Thank you Tony. You are classy man.
    Thanks buddy.
    Joe D

  46. #45

    User Info Menu

    You won't find a cleaner, better sounding recording on all of youtube. 5 star stuff!!!

    What a blessing to experience the gift to play that expressively - The best holiday gift! The only disappointment was that the recording ended. You sound equally eloquent at fingerstyle - You should record more FS. Thank you for the early holiday cheer JD...what a blessing!!!
    "You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

  47. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    You won't find a cleaner, better sounding recording on all of youtube. 5 star stuff!!!
    What a blessing to experience the gift to play that expressively - The best holiday gift! The only disappointment was that the recording ended. You sound equally eloquent at fingerstyle - You should record more FS. Thank you for the early holiday cheer JD...what a blessing!!!
    That was beautiful 2b.
    I remember I was afraid of the 18” body. You gave me a pep talk. You said, Joe you can handle it. I am glad I listened. I pulled my old dreadnaught out of its case tonight and played some Earl Klugh. After 10 minutes I put it away and reached for the ultimate acoustic guitar, the HJS18. What a difference. Really the ultimate guitar.
    Thanks for the wonderful words 2b.
    And thanks to everyone else here who so graciously commented so positively about my videos. Thanks boys.
    JD

  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pilotony View Post
    The family knew who to ask for advice in time of trouble. It speaks well of their judgment and you.

    Tony D.
    It was actually quite surprising. I'd corresponded with Joe pretty regularly for the maybe 12-18 months before his death. We spoke on the phone a couple times, and when he died his wife called me and encouraged me to come out to the funeral, which of course I did. I can't claim a real closeness to Joe or his family, of course, but for a specific period I was kind of a sounding board for him on a few things. So when I arrived at the church, I introduced myself and that was when the discussion of cremation happened. Others, of course, were also advising them, so I don't claim any special role there, though I do hope I gave some relief to their conscience about deciding not to cremate Joe. Nobody in heaven is looking down saying "Why didn't they increase their sorrow by doing something with my body that they believed wasn't right just because I insisted on it when now I don't care because, well, the whole being with God thing..."
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

  49. #48

    User Info Menu

    Actually, that's a fair point. Your funeral is none of your business really. You can make plans but cannot implement them. Your body is no longer your concern.

    This reminds me of Bob Hope's last words. His wife asked where he'd like to be buried. He responded, "Surprise me."
    MG

  50. #49

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    Actually, that's a fair point. Your funeral is none of your business really. You can make plans but cannot implement them. Your body is no longer your concern.

    This reminds me of Bob Hope's last words. His wife asked where he'd like to be buried. He responded, "Surprise me."
    Gee, I have to respectfully disagree. If the deceased had wishes which he or she expressed, is it not too much to expect that these wishes would be honored ? If there's a financial burden on the family to honor those wishes, then of course that's another matter.

    Bottom line, it's the last thing on this earth the poor guy will ever ask for, ( and has probably made arrangements to pay for ) so do what you can to honor his wishes.

    Just my .02 cents worth and HO.

  51. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by 73Fender View Post
    No amp eh? Wow I would have guessed old tube amp with reverb. I have no clue what a G3 is but it sounds good. Thanks again. Inspiring on several levels.
    Actually, I must come clean on something.
    I use this wonderful little Zoom G3 for nothing but recording. On previous videos, I only used the equalizer (No EQ adjustments - completely flat) and I bumped up the volume just to give my recording some good clean volume. But I noticed the "touch of Reverb" that I had turned on was not generating any reverb at all. So I clicked on the Fender Twin amp simulation. I reduced the gain down to virtually nothing because I didn't like the sound. So, for the 1st time, I actually did use amp simulation in my recording. Because of my settings, I don't think it alters the sound all that much. Just gives it more volume.
    You have a very good ear to be able to detect the presence of a tube amp lingering in the sound.
    Thanks, Joe D.