The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I am looking for something that I can easily take with me to outdoor gigs and places that don’t have chairs. A lot of these I just choose to stand up and play but my back has been acting up and the next couple weekends I would like to be able to have the option of sitting down. I got a cheap Walmart stool back in 2000 that has been great for upright bass since it folds flat and can go over my shoulder - I am looking for something like that where it is portable enough that I can still make one trip from the car with my amp and guitar and not have to make a separate trip back for a chair. I would use the stool but it is too high - I want something that is a normal chair height. Not too expensive would be a plus too and something that I can either order easily like amazon or a common store if anyone knows of one. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use Ibanez chair with guitar stand...it cost me about $60.
    Attachment 47752

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Attachment 47752
    Got a link for this? I think I want one!

User Info Menu

Attachment 47752
    I love that it has a stand built in. Will a thicker archtop like an L5 fit in it? And is it the height of a chair?

User Info Menu

There is this if you want a back rest Access Denied

Link to a video (short, not so informative, but better than nothing) of the stool above:

User Info Menu

Attachment 47752
    I just a very similar one but with a more substantial thicker seat pad and a better footstool. But now I can't find the site for it. Will have to look it up on Wed when I get home from a trip.

User Info Menu

The Ibanez is 25" tall, so it's a little taller than the Walmart stool I've used for most gigs for the last sixteen years. Standard chair height is 20".

I like the stool height because otherwise no one can see me on stage when I'm with my big band.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

The main issue with the stool that I would have is that the guitar would slide down my leg if it is tall enough that my leg wouldn’t make a right angle or something close. The big benefit for me sitting down is that I don’t need a strap and can give my back a rest so if I have to use a strap to hold the guitar on when sitting on a stool then I lose the benefit of sitting. And it also makes crossing my leg harder or not possible which is the other benefit of sitting for me. I will still look into it though. 25” might not be too high for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Got a link for this? I think I want one!
    Ibanez IMC50FS Guitarist Throne - Thomann Polska

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    I love that it has a stand built in. Will a thicker archtop like an L5 fit in it? And is it the height of a chair?

Height : 650mm
    archtop like an L5 fit - I hope

User Info Menu

Down on the farm there wasn't anything more portable than the ol' one legged milking stool that you strapped right to yer butt....

User Info Menu

Drum stool always works for me and doesn’t look like you brought in your antique dining chair to the gig.

Portable chair for gigs?-25c452b4-6184-4f1f-b16e-143239d52d87-jpeg

The Gator frameworks guitar stool is perfect for gigs and like the Ibanez chair also has a built in guitar stand. However, this one has a backrest and a more comfortable seat. I own this one so I'm not prone to bias

Portable chair for gigs?-gator-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Levitt
    The Gator frameworks guitar stool is perfect for gigs and like the Ibanez chair also has a built in guitar stand. However, this one has a backrest and a more comfortable seat. I own this one so I'm not prone to bias

Portable chair for gigs?-gator-jpg
    THAT'S the one I have, but without the back.

User Info Menu

I've used a Drummer's throne for years. Fits in my gig bag, no worries about stability. Also very affordable. Difficult to wear out.
    Attached Images Attached Images Portable chair for gigs?-cafe-3-jpg 

User Info Menu

It seems like this one is sold under many brand names with minor variations. Mine is a "ProRock Gear Player's Durable Guitar Stool" and the pics do not do it justice at all.

The pics should show that it has a telescoping neck rest with a lock, AND the fact that you can keep one git locked in the stand while sitting and playing a second one facing the opposite direction of and on the other side of the git on the stand.

The pics also do not show very well the foot rest so you can play with one foot on the floor and the other on the rest. It's very natural. It could have been lower as with my inseam I feel like a little kid sliding up onto it with my feet dangling.

Also the critical cross pieces are WELDED not screwed in... it is all steel and VERY sturdy and it collapses nicely into an easy to carry form. If I were gigging a lot I would find a gym bag with a shoulder strap to hold it because it's steel it's not featherweight, at around 8 lbs 3 oz. and 28" high.

Oh, my largest 3 1/2" archtop fits it comfortably with room to spare and on feebay it was ~$43

Attachment 47752
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 11-25-2017 at 09:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    The main issue with the stool that I would have is that the guitar would slide down my leg if it is tall enough that my leg wouldn’t make a right angle or something close. The big benefit for me sitting down is that I don’t need a strap and can give my back a rest so if I have to use a strap to hold the guitar on when sitting on a stool then I lose the benefit of sitting. And it also makes crossing my leg harder or not possible which is the other benefit of sitting for me. I will still look into it though. 25” might not be too high for me.
    I cut a couple of sections of 2x4 and screwed and duct taped them to the footrest to bring it up to a right angle for my leg. Wrapped it in a small black towel, and it's now perfect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I cut a couple of sections of 2x4 and screwed and duct taped them to the footrest to bring it up to a right angle for my leg. Wrapped it in a small black towel, and it's now perfect. Alsoo added an extra seat pad.
    Portable chair for gigs?-dsc04172-jpg
    Portable chair for gigs?-dsc04174-jpg