The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 395

User Info Menu

I play a stock MexiStrat with the bridge blocked (I left the springs in, because I think they contribute to the tone). It's not a traditional jazz tone, but it's got character out the wazoo. The Made-in-Mexico fenders are a great value these days. The quality is top-notch. I think the only thing the American-made ones have on them is slightly better wood. For $600 brand new, it's hard to find a better value.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I actually have a like problem... I have a Strat as well (a Squier Affinity, if that makes a difference) and a Mustang I V.2 amp. I can use the Fender Fuse software as well, but what amp and what settings can I use to get that classic guitar sound?

User Info Menu

ya know what I did? I rewired my strat knobs.

1 - Master Volume
    2 - Treble Cut
    3 - Bass Cut

Neck pickup with a bit of the treble and bass cut will usually get me much closer than just treble cut on a stock strat. Takes out some of the woofiness.

User Info Menu

A Stratocaster can easily be a Jazz guitar without trying to simulate the tone of an archtop. It's a very versatile guitar with a wonderful sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blkjazz
    Strat jazz tone................

It would be interesting to know what amp Quentin was using with his Strat as the effect pedals back in "64 were limited in range.

PS: What a joyful sound all three make together in this video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter
    A Stratocaster can easily be a Jazz guitar without trying to simulate the tone of an archtop. It's a very versatile guitar with a wonderful sound.
    Maybe even THE most versatile electric guitar - when I come to think about it.

Now, I play jazz, but I love Mark Knopflers sound from the Strat and Twin reverb on the first Dire Straits albums.

FWIW, my Strat is strung up with LaBella flats 15-56 at the moment. Sounds pretty jazzy to me. The neck PU is nicely placed right at the imaginary 24th fret, providing a sweet sound.
    Last edited by oldane; 01-26-2016 at 03:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Notice that the Stratocaster is on the bridge pickup. Whoa!

User Info Menu

Check out Dave Cliff at 4 minutes 0 secs here (with Georgie Fame).

User Info Menu

I use a Villex SJMB passive mid boost and it makes it very jazzy. Almost a humbucker sound.

User Info Menu

I have two Strats and play jazz on both and love the tone and feel. Here is how it all works for me:

First off, I use a "jazz" amp. In my case that is an Acoustic Image Clarus with a Raezer's Edge Stealth 10 cabinet.

My 1995 American Standard did not give me an acceptable jazz tone with the stock setup. I changed the bridge pickup to a Duncan 59, changed the pots to 500's, I blocked the tremolo and I put 12 gauge TI flats on it. It is an extraordinary jazz guitar now.

My Hot Rod AVRI 62 is set up with the stock setup with only the following changes: 5 springs on the tremolo and a wound third string with my 10 gauge roundwounds. It has a fine jazz guitar sound.

The right pickups, setup and amp make the strat a great jazz guitar choice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Notice that the Stratocaster is on the bridge pickup. Whoa!
    I've been wondering about that, too. Maybe he flipped the switch so it's further away from his right hand when in neck pu position. Doesn't sound like the bridge pickup.

User Info Menu

Not mentioned yet: lock/block the tremolo. And see which tone you like better for your jazz tone.

There are a few threads on picks and/or using your thumb for altering your tone also.

Pickup height: lowering the (neck) pickup and turning the amp higher may work better.

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me!

So much tone is in your hands - how you pick the strings and fret the notes.
    To be honest it would be a dull place if we all sounded the same. Just go for the sound you like best.

User Info Menu

I don't think Chis Crocco does anything more radical than twist a few knobs to get his tone.

Thanks a lot. I agree "great jazz tone" is an absolutely subjective thing, but I'm just starting to discover what jazz is(what I like and dislike) so it was tough for me to explain exactly what I am aiming for. I could not agree more with the fact that tone is in the fingers and I don't dislike my actual set up,but it's been a while now since I played with my stratocaster (I mostly play metal) so I was just looking around and searching for possibilities. I think I'll start by putting bigger gauged flat wound strings and continue to listen more and more to jazz ! As for the guitarists I really like the sound of right now there's pat metheny (I know he uses an archtop), allan holdsworth and kurt rosenweinkel (did I spell it correctly ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stratcat
    Sounds good to me!

So much tone is in your hands - how you pick the strings and fret the notes.
    To be honest it would be a dull place if we all sounded the same. Just go for the sound you like best.
    lorne is a master...note his finger nails..this will give a sharper sound that if he used just flesh part of finger tips...he uses very subtle techniques..adjusts volumn/tone .. uses trem technique..shakes guitar..slight bends..and overall..he is smooth in his attack on the strings..

and he has played a long time and developed his sound over many years..

User Info Menu

To me jazz is less about tone and more about feeling. I just got a G&L Legacy, which I was playing tonight. It did jazz just fine in my opinion. There is a huge range of guitars, in terms of style and cost, that are commonly used in jazz. It all comes down to what feels best and sounds best to each individual. Give Barney Kessel, Jimmy Bruno, Grant Green, Joe Pass, or any other great jazz guitarist any guitar you choose and I am willing to bet that their playing will be easily recognized.

User Info Menu

I have a blacktop strat that I think sounds incredible.

User Info Menu

I bought a Seymour Duncan cool rails pickup (lower output humbucker) for the neck on my strat. Sounds great.

Interesting clip of Lorne. FYI, a buddy of mine studied with him and says one of the ways he achieves his tone is by playing heavier gauge strings with a light touch.

User Info Menu

these strats sound pretty cool

User Info Menu

There is my jazz sound on Strat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    There is my jazz sound on Strat.
    Wow ! Just put all my guitars up for sale - going to buy a strat this afternoon !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Oh no. Oh nononononono. Oh no.

That won't do at all.
    Hey Christian, I saw Dave Cliff playing jazz on a YELLOW strat back in the 80's with Georgie Fame at Ronnies, several times.

You probably need to go and lie down for a bit now.

User Info Menu

While I greatly prefer to play and hear a Les Paul, I have to admit that a strat is by far the most comfortable guitar to hold against your body; it's just melts into you. To repeat what's said above, block the trem, put on .11 or .12 flats and when you feel like bending a step and a half, don't.

User Info Menu

Regardless of the strings, there is just something about a strat that makes the strings bend all by themselves, whether you want them to or not.