The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 99 of 99

User Info Menu

Will,
    That's a lot of information - thanks. More detail than I am able to appreciate. I have only owned one electric guitar before this EXL-1, so have little technical knowledge/skills. If the notes are true across the frets, that has been my main concern. But the more I have played and listened, some sounds that come out of some instruments are very sweet. I wanted to get an instrument that would give me a smooth & mellow jazz sound, like I might hear Kenny Burrell or Wes Montgomery put out. That's why I picked the EXL-1 archtop. I have had it for less than a week. Then I read some criticisms about the KA pickup and was wondering why. Thanks for sharing and shedding a little light.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Most of the "Kent Armstrong" pickups are actually Kent Armstrong designs that are made in Korea or China and the materials used are not as good as what a Made In America Kent Armstrong pickup would be. Just like the cheap "pot metal" used for the reissue Dearmond floater mounting rods, not in the same league - the Dearmond being better in comparison to the Kent Armstrong pickups on the EXL-1s. You get a guitar for between $600.00 and $800.00 it's not gonna have a $150.00 to $175.00 pickup on it, ya know. So a swap out of the pickup and a complete replacement of the harness and pots and you have a monster. The basic design of those EXL-1s is pretty good- a laminated body with a floater. There's a lot of possibilities there with an electronics upgrade.

As for you beef with the seller over your guitar. I'm sorry that happened man, but really here's some tips. If you used a credit card or PayPal to pay for it, tell the seller you want to return the guitar (for ALL the reasons you find it unsatisfactory) and if they refuse you WILL file a complaint (if it is with PayPal) and get a refund, or you'll tell your credit card company you got defective merchandise and want them to void the transaction. I've seen guys have to get tough with dealers of all kinds of goods and use that to get satisfaction. As I said those are decent guitars and with new electronics and a good setup you'd have a real tone monster. Even if one of the tuners was slightly off kilter.

Good luck on that. I hate it when I spend my hard earned money on something and it's not getting used because it's defective. THAT really irks the Irish in me. Good luck.

Big

AND as for your argument of "I never heard that anywhere I've been" - just goes to show you you have a lot to learn, getting around like us older farts we've seen our share of stuff. One of the joys (if you well) of being an old fogey...

User Info Menu

I'm very happy with the stock pickup. Provides a clear woody sound, not sure why you'd want to mess with it but interesting to read other perspectives. Seems like some are looking for a set in pup sound from a floater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Most of the "Kent Armstrong" pickups are actually Kent Armstrong designs that are made in Korea or China and the materials used are not as good as what a Made In America Kent Armstrong pickup would be. Just like the cheap "pot metal" used for the reissue Dearmond floater mounting rods, not in the same league - the Dearmond being better in comparison to the Kent Armstrong pickups on the EXL-1s. You get a guitar for between $600.00 and $800.00 it's not gonna have a $150.00 to $175.00 pickup on it, ya know. So a swap out of the pickup and a complete replacement of the harness and pots and you have a monster. The basic design of those EXL-1s is pretty good- a laminated body with a floater. There's a lot of possibilities there with an electronics upgrade.

As for you beef with the seller over your guitar. I'm sorry that happened man, but really here's some tips. If you used a credit card or PayPal to pay for it, tell the seller you want to return the guitar (for ALL the reasons you find it unsatisfactory) and if they refuse you WILL file a complaint (if it is with PayPal) and get a refund, or you'll tell your credit card company you got defective merchandise and want them to void the transaction. I've seen guys have to get tough with dealers of all kinds of goods and use that to get satisfaction. As I said those are decent guitars and with new electronics and a good setup you'd have a real tone monster. Even if one of the tuners was slightly off kilter.

Good luck on that. I hate it when I spend my hard earned money on something and it's not getting used because it's defective. THAT really irks the Irish in me. Good luck.

Big

AND as for your argument of "I never heard that anywhere I've been" - just goes to show you you have a lot to learn, getting around like us older farts we've seen our share of stuff. One of the joys (if you well) of being an old fogey...
    Thanks for the pickup insights. I will continue my schooling on the subject. I really had no serious beef with GC about the missed deal. If they had responded to my email in a timely fashion I would have purchased from them. Maybe expecting a response the next day is too much to ask from sales/support(after all, they have to get in their smoke break). I got a nice EXL-1 I am having a good time playing and for a little more money. Maybe the EXL-1 I would have landed from GC would have been a lemon.
    And I do not need to learn a lot about what is "standard" on the internet, as there is no such thing as far as jargon and acronyms go, like "lol" or whatever else people makeup. I avoid facebook, twitter and those other social media where these words get invented and get popular. A few years from now, new ones will come into vogue and others will disappear. "ISTM" probably means nothing in other parts of the world. As I said, there is no standards committee for this kind of stuff like there are for java or C or internet protocols.

User Info Menu

From a press release by D'Angelico Guitars about updates to their Excel line. Maybe they had the big sale on the EXL-1 to make room for the new ones with Seymour Duncan pickups, split block fretboard inlays, inlays on the bridge and a new iced tea burst finish. I wonder what the new price will be? They already have an EXL-1 Deluxe for $1550.

Emerging as the series’ two most popular models in the six years since the brand’s reignition, both theExcel EXL-1 archtop and DC semi-hollow have been upgraded for 2018. Per consumer feedback and adesire to elevate tone, both models will now feature Seymour Duncan pickups. On the EXL-1, a JohnnySmith Mini-humbucker will offer an even more organic, crystal clear archtop tone, while the DC willfeature Seymour Duncan 59 humbuckers and coil-tapping push/pull tone knobs to allow for moreversatility, better capturing the vast range of genres played on the instrument.Aesthetically, both the EXL-1 and DC will now feature split-block inlays and a gold truss rod cover for avisual refreshment. Additionally, the EXL-1 will re-introduce a few old-school appointments:mother-of-pearl block inlays on the bridge, and a scroll-style fingerboard bevel. And as a brand newaddition to the line, the EXL-1 will be available in an iced tea burst finish for the first time.

User Info Menu

There is a new one on sale at the GC near me for $799. I played it and it felt nice, but knowing that I could have paid $600 for one has me still staying clear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BeBob
    Be careful watching those YouTube videos. LeftoverVISUALS has a series of videos on the EXL-1 and they sound great -- but I'm not sure that it's the same incarnation of EXL-1 that guitar center just blew out.
    Yes...the names and Models and geaturws can be confusing...

Even the NYC Office was trying to clarify for me on the Phone the scale length of a few models...

They had conflicting specifications..very nice patient people though...they were measuring the Scale..lol on the phone and sent a Picture.

This was a more upscale Model with 6 way switch about $1500 - I was going to check one out .

User Info Menu

Nice to hear they have upgraded the pickup the KA did not do the guitar justice. Looking forard to hearing how that sounds . hmmms Iced Tea I like that !!

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    This is not a question about this guitar itself - hence the new thread - but about the blow out with that enormous rebate.

I mean, Gibson closing a factory and dumping the rest of the inventory - I get it, makes sense from an economic point of view. And there's no secret about Gibson being in trouble, we had that here in the forum.

But this D'Angelico thing?!?!?

What is going on behind the scenes? Any real insider with us here?

PS: Also, in an afterthought... could 600$ be the cost price? Or do they even still make a profit at that price? Questions....
    The guitars are a commodity. Someone needs to exchange that commodity for cash. Maybe these guitars are your baby, but . . .

User Info Menu

These are no longer on sale at GC and back up to $1399. Glad I got mine for $599.

User Info Menu

Me two. That is, glad I bought two. One is untouched and ready for anyone who wants it. It’s in the for sale forum here. I really like mine. They are quite nice and well worth the low cost. I was looking at them a year ago hoping to get a 20% deal. Glad I waited.

Roli

User Info Menu

There are three EXL-1 guitars: the Premiere, the Excel and the Deluxe. The Premiere EXL-1s were new for 2017 and were the lower priced version (about $750 right now). I believe those were the ones GC bought a bunch of and sold at “blow-out” prices. The Excel goes for around $1399, and the Deluxe for a couple hundred more. I suspect a bunch of people bought the Premiers thinking they were buying Excels at half price. Just FYI.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jglennhart
    There are three EXL-1 guitars: the Premiere, the Excel and the Deluxe. The Premiere EXL-1s were new for 2017 and were the lower priced version (about $750 right now). I believe those were the ones GC bought a bunch of and sold at “blow-out” prices. The Excel goes for around $1399, and the Deluxe for a couple hundred more. I suspect a bunch of people bought the Premiers thinking they were buying Excels at half price. Just FYI.
    In fact, those who jumped on the $599 blowout deal got the higher quality $1,400 Excel built in Incheon, Korea. The $750 Premiers are made in Indonesia and while perfectly good guitars, pale in comparison to the Korean model which uses better wood, has better fit and finish, and better tone. It was a great deal for those of us who participated!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    In fact, those who jumped on the $599 blowout deal got the higher quality $1,400 Excel built in Incheon, Korea. The $750 Premiers are made in Indonesia and while perfectly good guitars, pale in comparison to the Korean model which uses better wood, has better fit and finish, and better tone. It was a great deal for those of us who participated!
    Then I am well and truly jealous lol.

User Info Menu

Hello,

Did they change the shape of the neck? The new guitars in stock at Guitar Center dated 2018 seem thinner now. Granted they only have 2 new ones. They seem to be more of a D shape instead of a C shape neck. I have yet to acquire one, but I preferred their older necks. Anyone also notice this change?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woofcyn
    Hello,

Did they change the shape of the neck? The new guitars in stock at Guitar Center dated 2018 seem thinner now. Granted they only have 2 new ones. They seem to be more of a D shape instead of a C shape neck. I have yet to acquire one, but I preferred their older necks. Anyone also notice this change?
    I didn't like the hefty shoulders on the previous necks.

User Info Menu

While I liked the tone, fit and finish of mine, the chunky neck caused some real problems flaring up arthritis in my fretting hand. I finally traded it in.

A thinner neck could have me getting a new one if the price was right.

User Info Menu

The same as an Epiphone Emperor Regent with prettier wood and a clunky, flat, D shaped neck.

The D'Angelico reissues have gone from cool to overpriced "meh" in less than 10 years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    Is this info still generally true? Premier EXL-1 are the intro level made in Indonesia while EXL-1 Excel are made in Korea and are preferable?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BeBob
    I have to wonder about this DA blowout, and whether we're reliving the history of the Epiphone Emperor Regent.

In the big scheme of things, I don't think there's all that much demand for Korean laminate construction archtops with full-size bodies, long scales, and floating pickups. That's a combination of 3 things that seriously tends to weed out many guitar buyers. Many people aren't comfortable with a 17" x 3" body. It's huge. Many don't like the longer scale. And the vast majority of us can't see the merits of a floating pickup on a laminate construction top. The fact that they use cheap Korean-made Kent Armstrong type pickups doesn't help the situation.

The most recent attempt (that I can remember) to produce this type of guitar (laminate construction, 17x3-inch body, 25-1/2 scale, floating pickup) was made by Epiphone with their Emperor Regent. It was basically the same guitar as their Broadway model, with the difference being that the Broadway had two body-mounted humbuckers and body-mounted knobs, in sort of a L5-CES type of layout. That in-body humbucking pickup configuration works well with laminate bodies. The floating mini-HB doesn't seem to work all that well in laminate tops. Add to that the fact that Epi used a floating mini-HB that wasn't all that great and it's easy to understand why the Emperor Regent didn't survive in the marketplace. It was popular with the small market demographic that likes that type of guitar, but it wasn't that successful in appealing to the majority of guitar buyers. It got discontinued but Epiphone still makes the Broadway, presumably because the in-body HB design appeals to more people. It certainly sounds different.

For a time there wasn't a replacement for the ER, so we saw ER prices starting to climb. There wasn't another guitar with these sorts of features available in the marketplace, and once there seemed to be some pent-up demand evidenced by the rising price of ER in the used market, then DA came along with the Korean and Indonesian production EXL-1.

I think it's interesting that the Korean manufacturers are trying to sell what's basically the same guitar with some dressier appointments. It was rapidly accepted by jazz guys who've always longed for a real DA. With the Korean DA at least we have something that looks the part.

But how different is it really from the Emperor Regent?

To my ears they sound pretty much the same. I own both a 2009 ER and a 2016 EXL-1. The bodies look to be identical. Same size, same shape, same f-holes, same binding, same bracing inside. In all likelihood I think these two bodies are built using the same pattern, if they aren't being built by the same people. Both have the volume/tone control mounted in the same locations on the pickguard, and the same mediocre Korean-made Kent Armstrong floating mini-HB pickup. At the body end of the instrument it's hard to tell the guitars apart.

What's different? Bling. The Epi ER had it's signature "Frequensator" tailpiece and the DA EXL-1 has it's signature "stairstep" tailpiece. The heastocks have the signature appearance that's unique to the brands, but much of the neck construction is the same. The DA neck adds a walnut strip in the middle of a 2-piece neck, where the Epi neck is maple. Both have rosewood fingerboards with inlays. The DA neck is a bit thicker; they call it a C-profile but to me it's more of a D-shape with a shoulder. The Epi neck is a more slender C-shape, which Epi calls a SlipTaper "C" profile. Both guitars have necks that are channeled for a neck-mounted floating pickup, even though the DA doesn't use the channel and mounts the pickup to the pickguard. Both guitars used Grover tuners, the DA using Imperials.

Looking beyond the external cosmetics, I think it's safe to say that deep down inside these are the same guitar, with only a few changes in the add-ons.

I know I'm about to step out on a limb in saying this, but I think that the EXL-1 is being blown out just because there's not a very big market appeal for this type of guitar. Outside of the hardcore jazz world, a 17x3 long scale with a floating mini HB is a tough sell.

If my theory is correct, then the Korean factories have done a great job of re-marketing the old guitar with new branding and a new face. When the DA EXL-1 first came out, it was expensive. The few people who had to have it paid a lot for it. And during the course of the product's lifespan it's features changed along with it's price. It's cheaper now, but the ebony fingerboards are gone and some of the features are gradually changing in step with the price reductions. That's sort of a textbook approach to marketing a product, where it starts off being expensive, and goes through sequential stepped price cuts during it's lifetime, to sell it at the maximum profit to as many people at as many price points as possible.

All of this makes me wonder if the EXL-1 is going to be continued or if it's going to be discontinued. The $599 blowout was huge. After a huge price drop like that I think it'll be tough to go back to selling the guitars at higher prices. I can't imagine it ever going back to $1399. In all honesty, there's just no way this is a $1400 guitar.
    Time is a wonderful thing... $1,499.99

Excel EXL-1 - D'Angelico Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxx
    Time is a wonderful thing... $1,499.99

Excel EXL-1 - D'Angelico Guitars
    More to this than the price change. The current model is quite different. In my opinion, the current model is superior to the blow out priced guitars from late 2017. I purchased one during the blowout sale, but dumped out of it after a short time. The new ones are tempting.

User Info Menu

It's odd that the Excel EXL-1 still shows up on D'Angelico's website. Back in August 2022 I was told by a rep at D'Angelico and another rep at Sweetwater that this model had been discontinued and replaced by their lower cost Premier line.

- AC

User Info Menu

They tend to stack them like cord wood. Probably still burning through old stock. It was an overstock situation that led to the original blowout sale at GC.

User Info Menu

D'Angelico website shows the Excel EXL-1 has 16

The D'Angelico website shows the Excel EXL-1 having a 16" radius fretboard. Has this always been true of the Korean built EXL-1s?