The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Does Barak have to call you two guys over for a beer?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    You've got the test equipment. Prove me wrong.

Imagine, 10 megabits per second over twisted copper bell wire.
    Don't have to imagine 10 MB data rates, GHz data rates are transmitted over twisted pairs all over the world in telephone equipment, it's the most common and cheapest alternative to coaxial cable. People have been transmitting data rates ten times higher than that for almost a century - twisted pairs used to be the only form of low impedance transmission line.

Yes, I have the test equipment (and the knowledge). What would be the point in proving you wrong, who would benefit ?

And what's more important: who cares ?

cheerio

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc
    Don't have to imagine 10 MB data rates, GHz data rates are transmitted over twisted pairs all over the world in telephone equipment, it's the most common and cheapest alternative to coaxial cable. People have been transmitting data rates ten times higher than that for almost a century - twisted pairs used to be the only form of low impedance transmission line.

Yes, I have the test equipment (and the knowledge). What would be the point in proving you wrong, who would benefit ?

And what's more important: who cares ?

cheerio
    I'd be interested in seeing the numbers.

PS: Most telephony equipment today is fiber based or quickly going that way. The big DSL limitation is the last few feet are copper.

Japan mandates 10 GB backplane switches and probably soon will jump to 100GB.

User Info Menu

I'd be interested in seeing the numbers.

PS: Most telephony equipment today is fiber based or quickly going that way. The big DSL limitation is the last few feet are copper.

Japan mandates 10 GB backplane switches and probably soon will jump to 100GB.
    Thanks for the information but I'm guessing that other forum members are responding to this interchange as follows:

<<yawn>>

cheers,
    randyc

User Info Menu

You do realize tubes were and still are used in Hi-Fi applications?
    DO tell. 40 years ago I was servicing tube-based gear (all kinds of consumer electronics of the day) and building and modding guitar amps.

That last thing you'd want to do is filter their output. A tube power amp is supposed to have a very flat freq response curve.
    I was discussing how designers of high-gain amps filter the preamp stages.

You'd be surprised how quiet tubes can be.
    No I wouldn't. A well-designed tube circuit can achieve very low noise levels.

That doesn't alter the fact that increasing the preamp gain decreases the its S/N.

Listening to my Boogie preamp (5 12AX7s) via phones sure bears that out.
    Take a look at the schematic for your Boogie. You'll see the filtering I mentioned earlier.

Sometimes I find it hard to play a combo amp afterwards, their hiss drive me nuts.

Indeed, that's why I prefer preamp distortion.
    I'm not even sure what this means...

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil
    DO tell. 40 years ago I was servicing tube-based gear (all kinds of consumer electronics of the day) and building and modding guitar amps.

I was discussing how designers of high-gain amps filter the preamp stages.

No I wouldn't. A well-designed tube circuit can achieve very low noise levels.

That doesn't alter the fact that increasing the preamp gain decreases the its S/N.

Take a look at the schematic for your Boogie. You'll see the filtering I mentioned earlier.

I'm not even sure what this means...
    Recording a preamp thru phones is absolutely quiet. Can't say that about recording a combo amp with a mic. The noise drives me crazy now. The Boogie preamp has speaker emulation so it's easy to record straight to the board with NO mic.