The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 81

User Info Menu

I finally got a chance to listen to this, and it was worth the wait. A lovely (and timely) tune that perfectly captures the mood of the season. Mrs. k and I had occasion today to tour a hundred or so miles of Pennsylvania byways up and down the Allegheny River, through forests no longer verdant but scarlet and gold and everything between, and "Autumn in Mew York" would have been the perfect soundtrack, especially as performed by Joe D.
    The HJS sounds absolutely regal in your hands. Thank you so much for this, and all your other videos!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ck74- sounds like it was the perfect soundtrack...just not quite in exact sync!!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Man this non cut Super 400 is as red as my Red is !!! WOW what a beauty...

Same one I linked Big.
    It's a '39, he had it refinished in cherry which was the inspiration for his L5CT Gobel model.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Your an excellent musician and a true gentleman, both rare qualities.
    Salute Paisano, per
    Tony D.
    Tony, thanks my good man. 100 years? Nice, I’ll take it!
    JD
    Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Very nice playing as usually Joe - but honestly - I don't see that big smile (yet). Perhaps the bonding with this instrument will take a little longer......sometimes it just does.
    In any case, I'm sure the grounding buzz isn't helping any - which I'm sure is quite distracting and frustrating.
    I agree with Vinny though - a guitar either moves you creatively or it don't ....no need to settle , life is too short.
    Perhaps when the grounding issue is resolved you'll be in better spirits to really assess things.
    Just giving you my honest opinion.
    You know me Stevie. You know me well.
    The pickup noise does drive me nuts, but only when I record. I think this pickup is very EFI sensitive and it picks up interference from my computer. Yeah I know, that sucks..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I finally got a chance to listen to this, and it was worth the wait. A lovely (and timely) tune that perfectly captures the mood of the season. Mrs. k and I had occasion today to tour a hundred or so miles of Pennsylvania byways up and down the Allegheny River, through forests no longer verdant but scarlet and gold and everything between, and "Autumn in Mew York" would have been the perfect soundtrack, especially as performed by Joe D.
    The HJS sounds absolutely regal in your hands. Thank you so much for this, and all your other videos!
    C74, Thank you so much buddy. This is a beautiful time of the year, particularly in the lush terrain over in PA. You tell Mrs K I’m sorry I didn’t post it a day sooner. I was up in Boston with clients and also I didn’t want to butt heads with big mikes Citation thread. I wouldn’t have gotten a single view!
    All the best to you!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    This is going to sound counter-intuitive. If you don't bond with a guitar, it could be because (a) it just isn't for you and never will be or... (b) you are dating a lady who, for the moment, is way above your level in some way. She'll love you, but you're maybe going to have to earn it. But it will be worth it.
    Some guitars make how you play sound even better. Other guitars force you to play better to rise up to their level. Maybe I'm crazy, too...
    Lawson, you are right. Goldenwave77 told me that Rich Seversen said it best. He said something to the effect of 16 and 17” guitars you play. 18” guitars you just ride on. It is true. I have had moments with this guitar when I thought I had it figured out. And the next day, I’m back to dragging it along. I’ll keep trying.

Beautiful playing Joe. Such a unique guitar. I don't have an 18 inch in the stable anymore, but I did have to adapt when I had one (even though I am a giant dude). Once I played it for a week though, it made me want to practice with just the right amount of electric volume where the acoustic sound comes through. Something special about an 18 inch body. Always enjoy your interpretations of these great songs.

User Info Menu

Thanks rhoadscholar. I do the same thing. My amp is 20 ft away. And I have to make LOUD to get the right balance. But that is a GREAT experience.
    Thanks again!

User Info Menu

I forgot to add some shots..
    Heritage 18" Johnny Smith - a couple of months later..-7fbcba19-ed18-4f09-b815-6f04078da81c-jpgHeritage 18" Johnny Smith - a couple of months later..-2742bce1-e753-45ad-a3ea-a6d09f95df4e-jpgHeritage 18" Johnny Smith - a couple of months later..-4cff3e40-8a17-4242-ae82-05ac2daa6c16-jpg

User Info Menu

Some more..Heritage 18" Johnny Smith - a couple of months later..-7925ad9a-c115-4461-be1c-a839c1e1a585-jpgHeritage 18" Johnny Smith - a couple of months later..-efdbc57e-8433-4c98-8dfb-f4fbd68e4b68-jpgHeritage 18" Johnny Smith - a couple of months later..-c96e39bf-485f-47c6-8829-c47b3b70bf94-jpg

User Info Menu

Wintermoon,

Not trying to be Tommy Two Times (I'm gonna get the papers, get the papers)... LOL

I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more about that guitar than I did. Today was the first time I even saw it (on YouTube after watching the first Dean/George clip).

Big

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Lawson, you are right. Goldenwave77 told me that Rich Seversen said it best. He said something to the effect of 16 and 17” guitars you play. 18” guitars you just ride on. It is true. I have had moments with this guitar when I thought I had it figured out. And the next day, I’m back to dragging it along. I’ll keep trying.
    I have a horse like that. It actually took me about 2 years to bond with this horse. I had to learn his ways, learn how to partner with him. But when I did, it became a true journey together. Still have this horse though both he and I are showing some age.

Some guitars I imagine are like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Wintermoon,

Not trying to be Tommy Two Times (I'm gonna get the papers, get the papers)... LOL

I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more about that guitar than I did. Today was the first time I even saw it (on YouTube after watching the first Dean/George clip).

Big
    Nah Big, glad you posted that clip.
    Just pointing out it was the same '39 Super that George had prior but refinished from blonde to red.
    Pretty sure your '39 Premier retains it's original nat finish, that's my favorite guitar you own that you've posted.

I'm thinking the red finish was because it showed better on tv, much the same as Tal Farlow's red Gibson was made for a tv appearance.

User Info Menu

That HJS' voice, if only acoustically, could be found in round wounds.

Thanks for Kenny Burrell's AINY...loved it. Flats or rounds, that's one sweet sounding archtop Joe!

User Info Menu

Joe,

Beautiful playing as always. Obviously you've been sold a piece of junk, though. So I can help you by giving you maybe a hundred bucks for the Heritage so it won't be in the way. I'll even drive down to get it to save on shipping

BTW, I miss the M-4 in the background on your newer vids. I feel less safe.

Zig

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Like yourself I value greatly the friendships
    forged here on this Forum, it is a good
    refuge sometimes when things are not going
    so well, and without overdue sentimentality
    we can liaise and share our joys , and sorrows.
    Coincidentally , my dear wife’s two favourite
    songs are ATTYA, and Long ago and far away
    plus Johnny Mathis is an all time favourite.
    The unkindly remark to you was unjustified.
    We don’t take kindly to our friends being
    insulted , it is not beyond the realms of
    possibility that one could don the alter ego
    of 007 and deal with the offender ( LOL)

Kind regards my friend,
    Alan

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Your guitar sounds probably the best to my ears of any I've heard you record. That comment should mean absolutely nothing, when you decide if it deserves to be one of your cherished keepers. When we play, it's absolutely vital that the guitar is one that we can play in total comfort and that the music is all we concentrate on. This is what creates the "perception" of a great guitar. Any struggle, ends up making the sound null and void. Some things on a guitar are changeable some are not. If you were a collector it would be easy, but you play them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    I look forward to growing with this guitar. I am not giving up on it.
    I had a great conversation with QAman last night and he opened my eyes to a few things. He is really a WEALTH of good solid information. I am going to look into getting a new nut for this guitar. Also, the pickup might have to go.
    Ive never given up on anything because of failure. So, I am not done yet with the HJS18..

This is exactly one of the things me and Steve talked about last night. I might try some different strings too.
    But frankly, the sound of this guitar is brilliant with regular old TI12's. Thanks buddy.

User Info Menu

Wonderful playing, Joe; lovely to listen to on a balmy November day in Boston.

I always love the stories of fraternity on this board, and I have benefited from the wisdom, kindness, and patience of many longtime members.

Thanks for the smile today

-Chris

User Info Menu

Having read this entire thread, including the two posts after mine, I'm afraid I may have been completely misunderstood, so I'll set it straight right here. Other than the sentence reading: "Beautiful playing as always," eveything else about the guitar was tongue in cheek, thus meaning the exact opposite of what I wrote. I guess the winky emoticon wasn't winky enough.

User Info Menu

2b would be proud of your pics bro.

User Info Menu

Those gold evo frets look sweet !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I have a horse like that. It actually took me about 2 years to bond with this horse. I had to learn his ways, learn how to partner with him. But when I did, it became a true journey together. Still have this horse though both he and I are showing some age.

Some guitars I imagine are like that.
    I had to laugh, I wonder how many of us ride. My friend and I grew up together, he went to the great pastures of the sky over a dozen years ago and I haven't been in the right place in life to start again but I miss riding. Mine was a Houdini, unhooking latches with his halter, rolling under fences to escape. Laughing when he dropped me on logs instead of jumping...

Measuring horses is done in hands, guitars in inches. Like Joe's Heritage 18 hands is a pretty big animal.

User Info Menu

Brother Joe,

That guitar is a keeper. You sound great on it and she will grow with you. Not all of the ponies in the stable were meant to be racehorses. A rose by any other name......

User Info Menu

We say "horses for courses" out in the field. Different beasties for barrel racing, fences and the flat etc....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier
    I had to laugh, I wonder how many of us ride. My friend and I grew up together, he went to the great pastures of the sky over a dozen years ago and I haven't been in the right place in life to start again but I miss riding. Mine was a Houdini, unhooking latches with his halter, rolling under fences to escape. Laughing when he dropped me on logs instead of jumping...

Measuring horses is done in hands, guitars in inches. Like Joe's Heritage 18 hands is a pretty big animal.
    Like they say, few things are as good for the inside of a man as the outside of a horse.